Founders Atlas = Awesome?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

I haven't really used my founders Atlas since i got my D-DC and recently i've been trying to experiment with different loadouts to find one that works well. And i've discovered i actually do pretty well with it in whatever loadout i pick. This came as a surprise to me since i remember having a lot of trouble when i first started playing MWO.

So what has changed? After thinking about what was the biggest hazard for me back then and the loadouts people use now i've realized that whats changed are missiles. People aren't using missiles like they used too. Maybe a stock highlander every so often but other then that its apparent that no one has been using missiles lately.

I find this to be odd since most variants have missiles in some form as part of their base loadout. And while i don't think they need a damage buff i do think they could use a performance buff. Whether that be for speed or tracking or both they could use something to make them appealing again as part of a balanced breakfa.... err i mean loadout.

But until then its nice to have my founders mech be useful again!!!

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

My favorite founders mech. Always have fun in that monster.

#3 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

I found the Founder's Atlas to be a lot of fun to play. With the change to SRMs, the extra energy hard points really make it a hard hitter.

#4 MrVop

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

I think you just got better at the game and came back to it.
I find it tons of fun also. 2lrm 5's for scaring people and two uac5's for sniping. 4 med las take care of the rest.
Fun all around mech.

#5 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

I didn't really start playing until about February (real life issues, mostly), but planned to grind my founder's mechs first, then move on to different chassis.

I couldn't get the hang of the Atlas ... early in the match, the sluggish response usually meant I was out of cover for 10-15 seconds more than I should have been ... late in the match (if I lived that long) I always felt like I was in the worst possible place to help my team ... so I set it aside.

Now, two months later, I've mastered my JR7, HBK, CPLT, and a handful of DRGs on the side (I decided I like speed) ... so why not break out the Atlas again?
I figured I'd try something different ... pure brawler, use every crit slot for short range weapons, ammo, DHS, and speed/maneuverability ... STD355, endo, 16xDHS, AC/20, 2x SRM-6+Art, 4x ML (I think I actually have one open slot).

I wouldn't say I'm exactly good with it yet, but it is fun ... I've had a couple of 700+ damage rounds, a couple of 4-5 kill rounds, and I don't feel like I suck in it. It probably has more to do with my personal experience playing the game than the build, but I think I found an Atlas I enjoy (and might actually be good with, someday).

#6 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostNeverfar, on 29 April 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

... I'd advise strongly against sticking to its basic layout of medium-range weaponry because of the current sniper spree.

At first glance, I thought so, too ... but (at least for me), my Atlas is a miserable sniper. Since all the weapons fire from about waist level, you have to keep your torso exposed far too long. The only map where snipers are a real annoyance for me is Tourmaline, and that's just because I haven't figured out where the good flanking paths are yet.

Since you can pretty much guarantee that there are also 3-5 snipers on my team, I'll either hang back and wait for the enemy's brawlers to charge in, or they can help cover me while our brawlers get close. Once the brawl starts, I can't help but giggle when a PPC Stalker shuts down trying to alpha me, then I blast off one side torso and my sniper team mate blasts the other.

Brawlers still have their role.

#7 Spicy Horse

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBookshop

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

Sniping seems to be the popular flavor lately. Made it rather difficult to grind out my Cat-A1. But this is about the Founders Atlas. I tried a few setups, trying to find that killer combination of weapons that just dominates on the battlefield. After finding out that the D-DC is a missile hardpoint and ecm above my own, I was sad.

But then I found something. I thought I was being silly by putting to LBXs on my Atlas(f). But nay. It ended up being the most fun I had ever had in this game. 2 Large, 2 LBX, and 2 srm6 = Good times. Until Alpine came out. It's not fun spending the first 5 min walking to the battlefield. Giving the stank eye to anyone with a PPC or a Gauss rifle. Tourmaline isn't so bad because of all the crystal cover and rolling hills. Gotta watch for them poptarts though.

#8 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostNeverfar, on 29 April 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

They have a role but its very conditional and very niche right now.

My opinion ... change the date of your post and "They" could be easily replaced with: brawlers, direct fire snipers, jump snipers, LRM boats, SRM boats, ML/Streak RVN-3Ls, XL360 Dragons, etc., etc.

I've had a few crappy matches since equipping my Atlas as a pure brawler, but (since then - about 40 matches), I have never failed to get into brawling range, have only been 8-0 ROFL-stomped a couple of times, almost always get 3-4 assists (even in a loss), and very rarely die without taking at least one of them with me.

I generally avoid the "flavor of the month" builds because they reflect what is either popular or over powered (or both) right now. I play with the build I enjoy the most ... and right now, for the Atlas, this is it.

Edited by Kageru Ikazuchi, 29 April 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#9 Vaan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

My current atlas founder loadout.. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a3a8406717097d3

#10 jeffsw6

• 1,258 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY (suburbs)

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

View PostVaan, on 29 April 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

My current atlas founder loadout.. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a3a8406717097d3

zomg, you could add 2 more CT armor! Fail! :)

I notice that opponents are more likely to bum-rush the D-DC than other variants. They hate its ECM.

#11 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

My favorite D build is 2 UAC5, 3 LL, and a bunch of DHS.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users