Ppcs + Gauss Aren't The Problem... Convergence Is!

94 replies to this topic

#21 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostNauht, on 29 April 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

You would not need to move them much at all only a few degrees to get a wider firing arc.

Much like the ball turrets in MBTs now. Solid fixed weapons hard points are rare even in today's fighting vehicles.

But ofc this is a fantasy world and I haven't read anything about torso mounted weapons being fixed, or not, in the canon yet so we can make up any excuse for how it should be fired. I'm going with the weapons being able to be adjusted a few degrees.

A few degrees for something 300 meters away... but when they are 30 - 50 meters in front of you? They're going to have to swivel a bit more than a tiny amount.

#22 Nauht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 29 April 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

A few degrees for something 300 meters away... but when they are 30 - 50 meters in front of you? They're going to have to swivel a bit more than a tiny amount.

That's true and why the torso moves along with its x-hair as well and why your arm one moves so much further.

View PostNeverfar, on 29 April 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

Invoking real-life or "realism" in a game about giant walking robots with lasers is silly.

Did you miss my last paragraph?

Edited by Nauht, 29 April 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#23 TheForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

WHATEVER BRO! IF I DON'T GET TO KILL ROBOTS IN ONE SHOT THIS GAME SUX. OK 2 OR 3 SHOTS AT THE MOST BRO.

sarcasm

#24 Blackfire1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

Want to know why this isn't going to happen?

Because we've been asking for this since early beta last spring.

/Thread

#25 TheForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

seriously this game will NEVER give justice to the name "MechWarrior" if something isn't done about group fire and pinpoint accuracy.

QQ

Edited by TheForce, 29 April 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#26 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

You are assuming wrongly that torso mounted weapons are fixed and can't aim at the reticle point. All the weapons aim at the target, that's true even in Battletech. Now maybe you could insert that the target has to be aquired for the weapons to aim at it, but to think that mech engineers would even bother adding un-aimable weapons to a mech's torso is ridiculous.

Anyway, if you want fuzzy aiming/ fuzzy accuracy (that's what you are asking for) expect 50 to 60 percent of MWO players to leave and everyone else to say the game is broken. Fuzzy aiming is such a radical departure for what is a skill based game.

Now if you want to go back to the normal recharges for weapons to slow things down, I think most players would be willing to try that out.

Edited by Lightfoot, 29 April 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#27 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 29 April 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

You are assuming wrongly that torso mounted weapons are fixed and can't aim at the reticle point. All the weapons aim at the target, that's true even in Battletech. Now maybe you could insert that the target has to be aquired for the weapons to aim at it, but to think that mech engineers would even bother adding un-aimable weapons to a mech's torso is ridiculous.

Anyway, if you want fuzzy aiming/ fuzzy accuracy (that's what you are asking for) expect 50 to 60 percent of MWO players to leave and everyone else to say the game is broken. Fuzzy aiming is such a radical departure for what is a skill based game.

Now if you want to go back to the normal recharges for weapons to slow things down, I think most players would be willing to try that out.

I rendered your whole argument ill-conceived and falsely pre-tensed in my second paragraph addressing cone of fire. Read it again for enlightenment.

#28 Helican

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostNauht, on 29 April 2013 - 04:15 PM, said:

Why are we using old WW1/WW2 ideas of calibrating weapon convergence in the hangar?

I think of it as torso mounted weapons on gimbals or some type of rack that can make fine adjustments to fire where you want. I mean the HUD already displays the range where you're pointing your xhairs. The mech computer just automatically adjusts for range there.

Someone had the good idea of making a reticle for each arm and torso and that those reticles sway and move while you walk/get shot. This will make aiming harder unless you're a stable gun platform, ie standing still. Something like the Arma aiming system where the crosshairs get larger while you're moving to account for movement inaccuracy and gets smaller and more precise as you stand, crouch or go prone.

Yep, they have auto correcting gimbals but they can't make a missile go more than 270 yards or fly in a stright line...

#29 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostNeverfar, on 29 April 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

I actually agreed with your earlier post in this thread and came here to mention that, but come on now. Never, ever, call anything you post "enlightenment." At best you'll fail to have anyone actually read your "enlightenment" just to spite you. At worst, you just sound very arrogant.

Nah I'm just frustrated. I love this game, well did, until PGI broke it. I want them to fix it now. :) I guess it was a reaction to months of forum hardening here. No arrogance intended.

#30 TheForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostNeverfar, on 29 April 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

I need a protocol droid to interpret this for me and tell me what he's "serious" about.

i was raging so hard i forgot to NEVER post edited :)

QQ

#31 Helican

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

View PostNeverfar, on 29 April 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

I actually agreed with your earlier post in this thread and came here to mention that, but come on now. Never, ever, call anything you post "enlightenment." At best you'll fail to have anyone actually read your "enlightenment" just to spite you. At worst, you just sound very arrogant.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Battletech isn't a "realistic" universe and if it was, we wouldn't have giant walking robots at all. And there'd be no pilot seats either. It'd be drones lobbing relativistic-velocity kinetic ordinance back and forth, and they'd probably be fully autonymous to begin with. Fun!

OK. Thing is, their technological incompetence is actually part of BT lore...

#32 AntiCitizenJuan

• 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Pretty sure PPC and Gauss are part of the problem.

Hardpoint Sizes.

#33 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

a LOT of peopel even in mech4 went for the 9x9 grid on the torso F/R and same for legs and even arms possible being cut into 4x4 grids.

however this means a ton more data and updates need to be passed. I wouldnt mind seeing something like this happen, but in the end I just don't see it as viable.

imho the lock to torso reticule making snap shots so much easier is a way bigger issue, its super easy to aim fast with it unlocked and hold down lock right before you fire as needed to line up the perfectly stable shot.

#34 wolf74

• 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

(Copy from another of my post & upgraded :) “I can do that too” in the voice of Achmed the dead terrorist)
Just do away with the Auto-Convergence system and place a Manual Control Convergence in its place. AKA You have to use your Mouse wheel or Joystick slide to Move the Convergence point to the right range, Only then can you truly say you are aiming the weapons.

Side Effects:
  • Large groups of lasers will not all hit the same point all the time.
    • Unless the player is VERY VERY good
  • Now I don’t mind giving players a -+5m auto-convergence for most weapons
  • Pulse weapons get a +-25m auto-Convergence (Not compatible with targeting Computers)
  • CBT Targeting computers +-15m for weapon linked to the Targeting computers.
    • 1ton/Crit rounded up for every 4tons of Direct Fire weapons (AKA Laser, AC, PPC’s)

Cons:
Much harder for New players. (The only Real Down side I can think of)
Make Custom Starter Mechs with CBT Targeting Computers put in.

Right now most Players I know of have a 70% or better hit to miss ratio for their main weapons, I am Right up there with them with everything BUT my Missile which are at 25% ratios personal. Many newer player may go for a Missile but I think it will Balance out in the long run.

#35 WardenWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostKarr285, on 29 April 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

It has been removed for Instant convergence making Pinpoint a Filler Skill with 0 use.

Woah, I must have missed that memo! Didn't realize it had been removed (I didn't play much with ballistics / PPCs in arms for a while).

#36 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

The heat efficiency of the PPC (same as ML) certainly helps it...

The Gauss is honestly fine right now. It's annoying but at least it has limited ammo and weighs a lot.

#37 Kahoumono

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

I really like the weapons convergence idea and have been saying that is the problem over and over again. I don't mind getting nailed by 3+ ppcs if it took more skill to do it. I have however tried putting the question in ask the devs and it was ignored completely so I don't think this is talking point.

#38 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

Well it will become a talking point when people stop playing the game. My poll doesn't lie (another thread). The sheer majority of the playerbase is /not/ happy right now with how the metagame is.

#39 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

I'd have thought the HBK-4P made this point rather obvious back in CB.

#40 Kahoumono

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

I guess we could try ask the devs again...if a large group of us ask they may at least address it.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users