25 replies to this topic

#1 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

When the Clans are brought into Community Warfare, how will PGI keep IS House and Merc units from purchasing and using Clan mechs in drops against each other and against the Clans?

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,664 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

We do not know atm how that will be handled. It is likely that there will be no restrictions. That would be one of the ways to prevent more people going to clans simply for clan mech/equipment.

But I would wager they may have some ideas but until we get to that point they may not even know for sure themselves.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 29 April 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#3 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

That is still unknown indeed,

The only restriction will probably be the cost of Clan Mech/Equipment.
Clan mechs will probably be a real luxury items (high C-bill / Mc price)
So the "rich" players will be running Clan mechs and the others will still running IS mechs.

But in the end when people save enough C-Bills / MC, there will be just Faction battles fought with only Clan mechs probably.

alas this are just speculations..

Edited by Kain, 29 April 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,664 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

It can be interesting to see how they will introduce clan mechs I really do not see it atm. I do not see them allowing mix tech though. If they do there will be a one time MC charge, like with DHS, Endo, Artemis, etc.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 29 April 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#5 AztecD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 656 posts
  • LocationTijuana. MX

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

im waiting to see how clan mechs will handle and manage heat, given the current state of crying/shouting with just IS mechs and tech, I can only imagine how it will be when clan tech arrives

#6 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

We have ABSOLUTELY no clue.

Therefore it is to be noted that the statement "it will probably be like this" is in reality to be read as "this is what I personally expect it to be like, but I have absolutely nothing tangible to base this assumption on". Therfore, I wiill use the phrase "I hope", which is a much shorter and more factually accurate version of what people wish to convey.

I HOPE that it will be an either /or think, without clan tech on IS mechs for at least 5 years.

To be honest, allowing mixtech would kind of ruin the whole purpose of having a timeline, if they allow it they might as well implement Angel ECM, stealth armor, the HAG 40, and all sorts of mechs that make both clan and IS mechs look like a joke because they`re from 50 years in the future.

Maybe something like Pilot profiles will be introduced, where you have a Clan and an IS pilot on the same account but are locked to using a specific one for timeframe x once chosen (i.e maybe you can play clanner one day and merc the next, but not with the same mechs)

I HOPE that it will be properly balanced, be it by changing drop ratios, altering tonnage limits, or tikering with weapon values.

I HOPE that there will be an immersive CW element to go along with this.

I FIRMLY EXPECT and the Devs have confirmed: Pilotable Clan mechs

That is, from my perspective, "What we know about the coming introductions in a Nutshell".

The ONLY thing we actually "know" is that players will be able to pilot clan mechs, and depending on how you interpret some of the Dev comments that will happen somewhere between September and January.

And that is, factually, all that any of us really know, everything else is pure speculation based in lore, TT rules, or personal wishes, regardless of what those posting believe to be true or not. :)

PS: I ASSUME that we weill see them on teh coming PTR before we see them on live servers. Note that I do NOT mean that we will see them on the PTR straight away, just that I beleive there will be at least some community testing before they finally go live, simply because 500 people are significantly more likely to encounter and reproduce a glitch or bug than 50 are. ;)

Edited by Zerberus, 29 April 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#7 Arkus Bethla

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

My hope is that Clan Tech ends up OOC / "Out of Character". Non competition matches can be configured to sweat clan tech but there will be strict limitations (i.e. almost none) in Inner Sphere theatres of war as it would make the most economic sense to turn the most advanced weapons where there are needed most - back against the clans - and the "inner" factions (i.e. Liao, Periphery) would have no realistic access to clan tech at all until later in time when they send units to that front and shouldn't expect to face any either. This being the case it makes sense to be able to limit the kind of drops you want to enter so you don't get stomped every match in an IS mech or ELO adjusts 8vs12 or whatever makes balance sense.

The simple answer is - who is to say you get to use your entire stable of mechs or that some may have to drop standard variants? In OOC matches you can drop whatever you like but it stands to reason there will be restrictions dropping into specific theatres of war. There may be strict limitations on what you can drop depending on your faction or for mercs your loyalty and length of service and success in contract or any other variable.

The easiest way to limit "in Character" clan tech is to require salvage of it. How many head shot mechs and double leg shot do you see vs engine and torso destruction? UNTIL this system is gamed it is self limiting - there won't be a whole lot of available salvage any time soon.

I doubt that "everyone will go clan factions" but even if so you can structure the economy to provide alternate inducements.

#8 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

^^the thing is that there is no point to tech salvage (if we stick to the timeline), becasue IS pilots can`t use it anyway AND it`s not canon for those that care, but more importantly I don`t think "loot" is a good thing to add to this game. It`S not like you drop with ten buddies and go raid the big clan mech over on planet X in hopes of getting the 200th shard for your legendary PPC, but it would start to attract exactly that kind of player (possibly good for improving PUG teamplay, probably not so good for overall skill and atmosphere).

It is not until the Smoke Jaguars failboat hard on Wolcott in Q3 iof this year that ANY IS person has any clan technology to study, an it will be another 3 or 5 until the technology is adapted for use on IS mechs. But if you`re not in good with the DCMS, have fun trying to get them to sell it to you.

But at least we all agree that we`re essentially clueless and will just have to see what comes :)

Edited by Zerberus, 29 April 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#9 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

They will not.

#10 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

I was always lead to believe Clan and IS tech will be completely seperate from each other due to the fact that it took the IS several years to reverse engineer the Clan tech. Then again, with all the setbacks to the Clan release I'd wager that will become an obsolete point.

#11 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

Who knows? Maybe they'll realize that Clantech is impossible to balance and simply drop the idea of introducing it (the tech, not the 'Mechs, mind you).

#12 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

maybe clan tech will be based on some sort of honor point system instead of cbills? Im still wishing they would offer some sort of "Invader Package" when the clans are introduced. I would shell out much coin to have my toys. Though as far as I have leveled my current machines would be a waste at the point. I am willing to take the hit for the good of the clans.

#13 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Nobody knows, PGI has been tight lipped on any specifics. There's lots of speculation, and about a half-dozen different ways they can keep tech separate, but anything said right now is pure speculation.

#14 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:19 AM

View PostDakkaface, on 30 April 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

Nobody knows, PGI has been tight lipped on any specifics. There's lots of speculation, and about a half-dozen different ways they can keep tech separate, but anything said right now is pure speculation.

It's very true. Though it really wouldn't be hard to just say, "No".

#15 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

View PostKelesK, on 01 May 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

It's very true. Though it really wouldn't be hard to just say, "No".

Yes. But then again, that would imply "yes" to other methods and lead to even wilder speculation and proliferation of "preemtive nerfage" threads than we already have .

See also "Area 51" for a real life example of exactly this principle in action :P

#16 Lucian Nostra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

I'm just beginning to wonder if it's really going to even matter how they do it. I mean seriously we're looking at roughly a years time OR more for them to get the Clans out. Will I even be playing MWO by that time? It's a long ways out for an MMO style game. If I wasn't in a Clan, and didn't have people to launch with regularly I probably wouldn't be playing anymore already, just soooooo far away for the Clans for an online game...

edit: I already stopped playing after CB ended didn't come back till the Cicada had been out and whichever came after was released shortly after I started up again (think it was the Phract)

Edited by Lucian Nostra, 01 May 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#17 Ashram

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:28 AM

What I wondered was how can the Clan mechs invade someplace that doesn't exist yet. You know planets, and space and stuff, with fighting over control of said planets that was promised in closed beta? What was it called again, oh ya community warfare. Why introduce Clans when community warfare is more important? Wait that's not quite the question i want to ask, why is time devoted to clan mechs when priority should be to getting community warfare finished? When I originaly heard of community warfare, I pictured the various houses waging war on one another for planets, then would come the clans and all houses would divert their attention to the invading clans. That's kind of out the window now if clans are coming before community warfare. Has Piranha even started community warfare yet? Right now it's getting more, and more to looking like vaporware.

Edited by Ashram, 15 December 2013 - 03:28 AM.

#18 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:39 AM

First, Clan mechs will be implemented. Then CW will not be implemented. That's how it will work.

#19 Ridersofdoom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:11 AM

There is a invasion of the clans 7 months before, because we are in December, pgi bet is to get more resources before the end of the year.

Edited by Ridersofdoom, 15 December 2013 - 04:24 AM.

#20 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:24 AM

View PostAshram, on 15 December 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

why is time devoted to clan mechs when priority should be to getting community warfare finished?

Maybe because those people working on the Clans aren't the same that work on CW?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users