• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

This

View PostMax Liao, on 08 November 2011 - 06:09 AM, said:

I agree. While I'm admittedly more of a role-player than an FPS player, I would like to see people take more pride in their 'Mechs. Let retreat be an option, not just fight to the death.

Retreat being a viable option is rarely ever presented in a game, usually you just lose and move on to the next game like nothing happened. Now I do think some people simply like to play that way, but I think a high risk/reward option would be nice. Sort of like cars, you would remember your mechs for what you did with them, be they your first mech or whatever. The downside is that you're likely to lose enough games that that's going to be a long list of mechs. If you could own several though you might have more expendable mechs you play with and the sportscar mechs you're careful with.

I think one of the perks of games like Steel Battalion was when people retreated because they wanted to "live". This is balanced by a reward system that doesn't require you to hunt down your enemy, maybe keeping a flag point capped and saving ammo is more cost effective.

Either way I see the "casual" players not loving having to buy new mechs all the time but I think a "hardcore" mode with applicable reward would be very welcome by those that enjoy a challenge.

#62 AchtungGutenTag

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:24 AM

What about a duel option? Player A challenges Player B to a duel. If Player B accepts, they fight a 1 on 1 duel, with the winner getting the loser's mech, in the condition it is in after the fight. That way, those who want to put it all on the line can, but it doesn't affect the core gameplay.

Totally agree with having to pay for repairs and rearms between rounds.

#63 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:40 AM

I'm so glad the developers have the common sense not to do this.

#64 Raiyuken

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:12 AM

I proposed this....

Set up a Solaris-typed tournament to "farm" C-Bills. You will still versus against players, gain C-bills from damage/kills FFA Melee or Team Melee. You get to choose Light/Medium bracket, each mech is attributed to a faction and winning or killing piloting that mech give you minor reputation for that faction. Tournament mechs unlock with more reputation gained (Half of the reputation needed to purchase it)

C-bills allows you to buy Light to Medium class mechs. However, Medium Mechs must be unlocked with Faction Reputation.

Conquest Warfare

Conquest zone, where you fight for a Faction (Davion, Liao etc), which will earn you reputation for the faction you are working with, no loyalties just business. You get to choose a range of the faction Mechs (Light to Heavy), capped by the mission's maximum tonnage. Losing the Mech in combat would have you pay for the Mech, Winning will earn you more reputation, C-bills and Battle Salvages but not the Mech itself you "borrowed" for the battle.

Light to Heavy Mech choices depends on how far the faction is pushed. if Liao is in the weaker side, they will have option to use heavier Mechs and additional tonnage multiplied by the conquest motive. Aka more tonnage for defense less tonnage for offense.

Dominion Warfare

Dominion mode, which will involve a Battle Tech Lore character(s) piloting Heavy to Assault Class Mechs.(Programmed with Un-nerving AI skills).Both sides have unlimited tonnage but must bring their own Mech for the fight (Mech-Downed but winning the battle will allow you to re-salvage your mech, unless it has been overloaded; which could only meant that you did something foolish and not any pilot would do that you should be justly punished).

Battle Salvage would be distributed, (Note that overloaded mech is also not salvaged, so people won't get trigger happy on the Atlas) by the Tactical Commander. Which will be something like a raid leader only that he controls the Battle Tech Lore character action (Retreat, Support, Suppressing Fire or Designate Take-down).

Maybe put some different sort of resource for the purchase of Heavy/Assault mechs upon participation/winning of Dominion Warfares.

I still haven't decide if Lancing should be in an MMO like MW.

Edited by Raiyuken, 11 November 2011 - 01:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users