Cataphract 2X - Not Sure What To Do With It...

24 replies to this topic

#1 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

A Cataphract 2X was the first Mech I bought.... yep, I didn't understand how the missile limitations on the arms worked back then... and then missiles got nerfed.

I've been messing around with some builds to try to come up with something that works for a mech that feels like the odd man out. I've seen the close-in brawler builds, and they are good, but only up to about 270m, which can be rough these days.

Here's what I used to run:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...00439da222a1694

It worked, I guess, and the numbers look nice, but it was always a pain getting damage on target. The only long range weapon is the torso-mounted Gauss Rifle, and it doesn't throw enough SRM's to really do all that much.

I've been playing around with this now:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a798d040330a8ce

Atlas-style weapons in the torso, with an ERPPC on the arm for accurate long-range damage. It worked better, though it annoys me that the mech is extremely easy to disable with the loss of the right torso and that the missile arm is just useless.

I'm not really sure what to do with it at this point... maybe streak missiles in the arm so they might actually hit something? I really don't know - the hardpoints are a pain to use on this chassis, and almost any build (barring the Mini-Atlas, 270 range brawler) could be done better on the 1X, as far as I know.

Thoughts would be appreciated from anyone who can get this chassis to be worth keeping. Thanks!

Edited by oldradagast, 02 May 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#2 Forty Eight

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationCold and Rainy Washington

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

I just picked up a Catapract and I've been running with 3xML, 2 SRM 6 + Artemis (3T ammo) and 1 AC/5 (3T ammo).

I find it works very nicely. I tried a UAC/5 and didn't have enough ammo of SRM or UAC/5, so I dropped it. Besides, I generally dislike UAC/5's, they never work on me.

This build is working nicely for me, just need to push up close to unleash the fury.

Of your second build, I would ditch the AC20, they can be cumbersome and ineffiencent because you're running with 21 shots (if that Gauss Ammo is supposed to be AC20 ammo) and you'll either **** them away attempting to snipe or run out plugging holes in people and be SOL.

I would say with the 2x to shoot for a close-in brawler and destroy some center torso's.

#3 Cyke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

I just came into this forum to ask for feedback on my 2X builds and saw your thread, so here's my builds anyway!

My idea is to go brawler all the way.
Note: I'm going use the term "long range gun", and by this I mean ER PPC or Gauss Rifle, which is what the new Ballistic HSR has made popular in the meta.

Having just one long range gun is actually dangerous, because it encourages you to expose yourself to snipers to fire your single weapon... and there's no way a single long range gun can outshoot the Alpha from the numerous sniper 'Mechs in the current meta. They're going to have between 3 to 6 long range guns.
Only having short range weapons keeps you playing smart, and reminds you to only expose yourself and engage the enemy at the range where you are likely to win.

What I have is pretty similar to yours, except ditching the single long range weapon, in order to increase close-range firepower:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4f101587b038e15

Everything on it (3 MLas, AC20 and 2 SRM6) has a recycle time of 4.0 seconds (MLas actually recycle is 1.0s duration and 3.0s cooldown), so you might find yourself overheating in a brawl if you panic. If you keep calm, just remember that the trio of MLas only do 15 damage for 12 heat, whereas the AC20 does 20 damage for 6 heat.. so when the heat goes up, ease off on the lasering and keep the AC20 firing. The AC20 has limited ammo unlike the MLas, but there's no point shutting down, getting killed, and taking that ammo to the grave with you.
However if you overheat too often, feel free to ditch a medium laser, a ton of armor, and/or a ton of either type of ammo to add additional DHS.

With only 3 tons (21 shots) of AC20 ammo, I would suggest saving it for shots you know you can make.
The AC20 actually still does 10 damage at 540m, so you're not exactly helpless at midrange, but the hit probability is low due to its poor 900m/s projectile velocity.. so if you find yourself using it beyond optimal range very often, you might want to get rid of something to add another ton of ammo.

Oh yeah, and generally I'd say you can leave the AMS at home.
They don't do much against SRMs, and as for LRMs, you can just duck behind cover or stay near an ECM friendly, and they do crap damage right now even if they hit.

Edit: Don't mean to hijack, but I wouldn't mind comments on my build either :wub:

Edited by Cyke, 03 May 2013 - 05:50 AM.

#4 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:52 AM

Cataphract 2X is probably the weirdest mech I own. I bought it as temprary placeholder to keep until I've elited my 3D and 1X (I stay away from 4X because of horrible engine cap). And against all expectations it became my premier all-arounder (until Highlanders came), so I kept it.

Here is the build: CTF-2X

- LL for closing in/ sniping
- AC/20 combined with streaks for good close range punch.
- reasonable speed and survivability.

This mech surely feels like odd man out, but give it a chance and it truly shines.

Edited by ssm, 03 May 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#5 Cyke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

Agreed, SSM. I only bought the 2X to Elite the CTF-series, but I started to like it a lot.

I like your build too, packing two SSRM2s (where I have two SRM6), which fire less missiles but will guarantee more hits.. and upgrade the lasers with the weight savings.

For now I'd prefer to hold off using SSRMs at all, until BAP starts countering ECM.. but if missile HSR comes in, then normal SRMs might start working better, too.

#6 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

I went to streaks because I wanted to have more variety with my CTFs (my 1X and 3D are pure 270m brawlers) and needed tonnage for 2 LLs.

After HSR for missiles I'd consider finding 1-2 tons somewhere and putting 2x SRMS4.

#7 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

ERPPC, Gauss, 2mL, STD300, 4t ammo.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4cd9ac2754a55cb

ERPPC, Gauss, 2LL, XL300, 4t ammo.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4f6d3292ce11c7c

With the small number of tubes on the 2x I don't bother with missles.

Edited by CygnusX7, 03 May 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#8 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

I really like having 2 SRM6+artemis on this, along with 2 large lasers and an AC5. But since SRM's are a bit weak right now I'd wait until they fix their damage before taking back into combat.

#9 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

2X was my favorite Cataphrat pre-missle nerf. 3ML 1GR 2SRM6. Drives exactly like my Atlas, only faster/less armor.

Weapon Groups:
1 - Lasers
2 - SRM6s
3 - GR
4 - Alpha Strike

I used Alpha a lot while brawling. Depends on the speed of the target...

I've mostly shelved him in favor of longer ranged mechs... Until missiles get fixed. ;) My other Cataphrats are a 4LL, 4JJ max engine 3D and a Dual Gauss 4X.

#10 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:17 AM

The honest answer to the topic: Shelve it until the 28th when missiles get buffed again, then break it out of retirement for the party.

EDIT: I bought the thing originally to do a Gauss and 2x LRM15, which owned big time for a brief window when LRMs were superpowered and Gauss didn't explode. A very brief window. Best 'mech in the game for about 4 days.

Edited by Victor Morson, 06 May 2013 - 05:17 AM.

#11 Cyke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:21 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 06 May 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

The honest answer to the topic: Shelve it until the 28th when missiles get buffed again, then break it out of retirement for the party.
Agreed.

Ballistic Host State Rewind up was a "surprise" inclusion with no notice beforehand as well, so for all we know, Missile HSR might be coming on the 28th.
Best case scenario, Missile HSR and a damage buff for SRMs.. that would put the the CTF-2X back on the top of your list for sure :)

#12 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...faa1e19dd698074
or make a few swtches
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d96666fa68ea18c

Ran both builds pretty successfully, a bit hot but doable
Run in 4 Groups
1. UAC
2. LL/LPL
3. ML
4. SRM (Chain)

#13 TheMadTypist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 534 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

I recently built a midrange brawler with mine, not exactly completely optimized, but with a particular playstyle that can be fun. This is the build on Smurfy: CTF-2X

How I play this is as I said, for the most part a midrange brawler. There is a particular trick to this, and that is when you hold left shift to turn on arm lock, the PPC and the AC10 will converge together really, really well. It's like a 450 meter range AC20 with more ammo and a bit more heat. Don't get me wrong, you can have bad matches and walk away with sub-200 damage, but on a good match this little combo becomes a freakn' deadly holepunch- the first match I played this build, I got 8 component destructions (that's a lot, for me).

The Artemis SRM is because I already had Artemis on there and didn't want to pay to pull it, but it's been proving handy for targets that get under the 90 meter min range on the PPC, what with the maneuverability of having it on the arm, rather than the torso. Would probably recommend you take a standard SRM6 (or SRM4 and SRM2) to save on C-bill cost, but remember that runs slightly hotter.

The CASE is because I had a half-ton to spare and a CASE already lying around, and didn't want to spend money on 16 more points of armor on the legs.

I run the Medium lasers on group 1, AC10 on group 2, SRM4 on group 3, and PPC on group 6, which is my active (i.e. LMB) weapon group. At the start of each match, I hit the left arrow once to select it, and this is because it is easier to hit 1 when I want to fire the lasers, than to hit 4 when I want to fire something else.

So, to recap: ~150-450 meter hole punch (while holding left-shift to turn on armlock, and firing the PPC and AC10 simultaneously) with close range backup tools. Not a big alpha boat, but it can keep putting out 20 damage blasts to very specific locations while snipers fail to track your movements and brawlers are still struggling to get into range. If that matches your playstyle I recommend you try something like it out.

#14 CaptOven

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

Mine is a very strange load out

XL 300, 19 Double Heatsinks, 3 Large Pulse and 2 Streaks with 1 ton of ammo.

As soon as any Mech gets within 300 this Mech turns up the damage and the Streaks allow me to fire even with high heat. One Large Pulse is in the arm and so having that set to it's own group allows to aim using the arm separate from the torso and fire one one Large Pulse if your high heat. You can fire several alphas before overheating and is surprisingly heat efficient. Range is a problem but the only map this really shows is Alpine.

One of my favourite Cataphract builds but probably because the "dub step" sound of the Large Pulses :P

(Seriously it does have the same Win/Loss Kill/Death as my other Phracts)

#15 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

I went from my Awesome-8T to this Cataphract model and seriously it's hard to go below 250dmg in a game, in good games I go up to 500 or even 600 dmg.The loadout I use is

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...718abf759015368

Gauss for cooling down and answering long range fire
But the mech is really a Brawler. 3 medium pulses+2 SRM6 even scare Stalkers away.

#16 Delchev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:26 AM

View PostAutobot9000, on 01 June 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

I went from my Awesome-8T to this Cataphract model and seriously it's hard to go below 250dmg in a game, in good games I go up to 500 or even 600 dmg.The loadout I use is

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...718abf759015368

Gauss for cooling down and answering long range fire
But the mech is really a Brawler. 3 medium pulses+2 SRM6 even scare Stalkers away.

If you want to invest in Ferro Fibrous, you can get STD280 + heat sink in.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f081653ae6bec08

#17 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:14 AM

You are right, thanks a lot for this tip. A STD275 would actually suffice to squeeze an extra heat sink into the engine. I will do that, cheers!

#18 Delchev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostAutobot9000, on 02 June 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

You are right, thanks a lot for this tip. A STD275 would actually suffice to squeeze an extra heat sink into the engine. I will do that, cheers!

Definitely yes. Just STD280 is a stock engine, so it might be already available in your assortment.

#19 Bloodyhand

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

I run what is probably a really strange build but, have loads of fun with it. 2 LRM 15s with artemis, LL, ML TAG and a STD 280. Fast, flexible, enough ammo to pour on the pain and enough armour to take it too.

<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=42&l=b814d5816c9591643492a9b4611347a7e24834f9">CTF-2X</a>

#20 Eumenes

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 77 posts
  • Locationof Cardia

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

I had a left over 320 Std engine from my failed attempt to run a Cicada, so I built this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c3adb8d5abba5bd

It almost feels like a trolling build, but I drew my inspiration from the Thunder. Just need to duct tape a trash can to the right arm!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users