Which Highlander?

7 replies to this topic

#1 PhantomVector

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

Which highlander is either best out of the box, or modified into other..roles? I guess? I've always loved the highlander, and I'm hoping I can outfit it to be either close or long range fire support, or other positions. So will there be any luck with this?

#2 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostPhantomVector, on 02 May 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

Which highlander is either best out of the box, or modified into other..roles? I guess? I've always loved the highlander, and I'm hoping I can outfit it to be either close or long range fire support, or other positions. So will there be any luck with this?

Honestly...the Heavy Metal is the best one.

The problem with the others is hardpoint spread...all the direct fire weapons are on the right side. Also, HM has all direct fire weapons in the arms, giving them far more mobility. This is a big deal on maps like Alpine peaks.

I have elited in the highlander and tried them all...the ONLY reason I play the others is because I do not have to live with that f@ggy paint job. Thats it. if it were not for that I would play HM exclusively. It doesn't hurt that I get audio notification of every kill I make, and a CBill bonus on top of that.

#3 PhantomVector

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

lol that's why I don't exactly like the HM either :D although I only have enough for one of the normal versions.

#4 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

It'll depend on how you feel about missiles. I personally don't like them, so I went with the variant that had 3 energy hardpoints and one ballistic. Went with a gauss and 3 large pulse lasers.

It is fun, but i still prefer HM to it. Of the non-MC variants, that is my favorite so far. I was not as enthralled with the AC/20 one as I thought I would be.

#5 Ser Barristan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWesteros

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Depends on what you want to do with it. I personally have 732, 733C, and 733P.

These are the load outs:

HGN-732

HGN-733C

HGN-733P

As you can see they are all configured to be pretty brawly, the 733C particularly standing out in that role while the 732 has a better long range capability due to the Gauss. Three SRM packs can often finish off a damaged opponent in a single salvo. Out of the three I've found the 732 an 733C to be the best with the 733P being a bit of a unlucky mech. If your looking to load them up to PPC and Pop you'll need someone else to chime in, but if you're looking to use them to close with the foe and assault then the 733C and and 732 I've found to be pretty solid.

#6 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

I own the HM, 733P and 733C. I thought at first that I would always use the HM once I mastered all three but it turns out I enjoy the 733C the most because of its big ballistic arm being able to fit big guns that the HM can't.

Sorry I don't have a smurfy for it but I currently run dual UAC5's, a pair of LPL and an SRM 6 with the largest XL engine I can cram in it, full armour and 2 or 3 JJ's (I can't remember).

I use the 733P for fun with 2xERPPC and 2xPPC though its not usually as effective as my 733C.

My builds are different enough that I play them all anyways. HGN is a great chassis.

#7 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:31 AM

732 is probably the most versatile of the bunch. It can run viable builds with either standard or XL engines and the hardpoints lend themselves well to anything from sniping to mid-range fire support and even heat-efficient close quarters face-punching builds. Also, I'd disagree with the previous poster about the hardpoints being "better" on the heavy metal. The RT energy mounts for the "c-bill" highlanders are excellent for fire support roles because they're mounted up higher on the mech (like the energy torso mounts on the cataphract). They allow you to get your shots off from covered positions while exposing less of your own mech to return fire. To be honest, the only thing that HM does that the 732 can't is run with jump jets - though in my opinion that's a waste of 8 tons. 1 jump jet is enough to get the job done under the current mechanics.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostPhantomVector, on 02 May 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

Default loadouts? They do okay. I liked the one with the AC/10 better than the one with the Gauss Rifle.

Once that's over with though, the 733 screams missile boat. I run it with a AC/2, medium laser, and tag in the right side, and 3 LRM-15s and 1 LRM-10 all with Artemis on the left, with a plethora of missiles and shells. Despite the missile nerfs this held 60th to 40th place on and off with little effort on my part for the Highlander 733. I started with my first match in 2098th place while running the default loadout.

The 733C which held first place in the assault competition up until the final day^1 had an XL 300 engine, twin UAC-5s, twin Large Lasers, and SRMs. It was essentially a mock-up of Zhizhu Merc Corp's standard Atlas build.

The 733P I also have as a brawler with 4 large lasers, and a mixture of small SRMs and small LRMs to soften targets before I brawl with them.

I have not used and do not have build ideas for the final Highlander.

The Heavy Metal typically runs Gauss and Twin ER PPCs. Unlike the other Highlanders, the HM cannot boat anything, and is generally easier to kill due to its lower damage output.
(Also, I own every hero mech.)

My big guide thingy on the Highlander is here.

^1(when Lordred was booted from first and shoved into 17th overnight by people whose scores come out to people consistently doing over 1,900 damage and 7 kills in all 10 of their matches -- impossible without a team of willing victims, anyone?)

Edited by Koniving, 03 May 2013 - 07:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users