Drg-1C Build Feedback

14 replies to this topic

#1 Pupecki

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

So I'm currently trying to construct a dragon that would be best suited as a mid-range skirmisher and I was hoping I could get a little feedback as to which build you experienced dragon pilots would think fits the role better.

So here are the builds,

Build 1: (1x Gauss, 2x LL, 1x Ssrm2)

DRG-1C - unnamed

My thought process behind this build is basically the trial dragon with streaks thrown in for extra close range punch.

Build 2: (1x Gauss, 4x ML, 1x LRM 10)

DRG-1C - unnamed

My thought behind this was to create a balance between long and close range power, I have the gauss and lrms for skirmishing and once the battle dies down or I get caught up with someone a bit closer I can switch the gauss and mediums.

All comments are welcome, so please dont hesitate to say something if you find something wrong with either build.

#2 Derpinator

• PipPip
  • The Blazing
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

One ssrm is Useless IMO, might as well put in some extra heat sinks so you can fire the lasers longer.

build 2 is pretty good, the 1C is probably the favourite model for most dragon players.

You can try the load out I'm running which is : Gauss, ER PPC, 3x ML, with an XL 285( not sure) and a lot of heat sinks.
Does some great damage though there are a lot of possible builds for this model

#3 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5026a81d4bcbcc0

I run that with pretty good effect. Just dont want to get caught too far out, more hit and run at close-mid range than the others.
You can mix/match the engine if you dont have a 325XL

#4 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:06 AM

I've been trying out the (non hero) Dragons too since this weekend. The best i could come up with so far is this 1C I had to remove a lot of armor to make the mech viable on hotter maps. You can remove a HS for more armor on the legs and refill the head.

It isn't an easy to ride. During a brawl you want to keep blasting that uAC5 and LL while running 104 kph using the Dragon's insane arm twist. Up until before the brawl you are a heavy scout with decent med-long range weapons. Don't expect any fancy results in this 800+ dmg i have yet to see.

#5 armyof1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

I was getting annoyed with the fragility of Gauss and the weakness of SRMS considering how close you have to get to get them on target, and that low arm position really doesn't help sniping with the Gauss either. So a couple of weeks ago I went with an all energy build instead and ended up with this: Energetic Dragon

Let your right arm eat up damage first whenever you can, since all weapons are in your left. If you feel you want even more range, you could switch to one ERPPC you can have in a fire group for the longest shots, I find I do ok even on Alpine as I have good enough mobility to get within PPC range. So you can do some decent damage at longer range, and also fight off lights with the 2xLL. I used to have an XL350 and 2xML instead, but lacking any decent firepower up close made me pretty weak against lights. I find the switch to 2xLL and the downgrade in speed well worth it for a more versatile and higher burst damage build.

Edited by armyof1, 09 May 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#6 Ryebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

This was my build prior to PPCs having their heat reduced.

Post SRM damage reduction I would use this.

Before you get all up in arms with "a slow Dragon is a dead Dragon", this isnt a ship-of-the-line mech, nor is it a close range flanker, its more of a cruiser. You at 83kph with Speed Tweak you are fast enough to position yourself off center and strong enough mid-long range to plunk away from the edges of battle and back away if you draw heat.

That said, I Mastered this mech and moved on before the Highlander dropped and Alpine and Tourmaline made the focus of most mechs PPC/Gauss boats and brawling was still healthy. Im not sure how well it would work without some big guys taking point to be shooting over the shoulder of.

#7 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

For mid-range fights, get the AC10, not Gauss. The faster fire rate more than makes up for the "small" damage it does. Lots of medium lasers will help, too. You obviously want SRM for pest control (light mechs). Personally, I would take one large laser, but that can end up too hot. Something like this should be fun: DRG-1C. By replacing the large laser with a medium laser, you can upgrade the engine and/or heatsinks and/or ammo stash.

#8 Derpinator

• PipPip
  • The Blazing
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

I wonder, isnt it better to put ammo in side torso's with an XL engine? With the ammo in your legs you might die from ammo explosion, if either side torso is down you're dead anyway.

#9 Agentpony

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

View PostDerpinator, on 22 May 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

I wonder, isnt it better to put ammo in side torso's with an XL engine? With the ammo in your legs you might die from ammo explosion, if either side torso is down you're dead anyway.

No. Any ammo explosion in the side torsi can lead to a much faster demise of the engine there. If you pack it full of inert components though (heatsinks, equipment, weapons, gauss ammo) a side torso can get surprisingly resilient. A leg ammo explosion will only cost you that leg, if even that.

There is a function though that seems to consume ammo in the torso first. So, you might want to pack your main ammo into the legs, but you can put a little bit of it into the torso, an amount that you know you will certainly use quickly.

#10 Pupecki

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

A lot of very interesting builds in this thread, I will have to try a lot of these out!

#11 TechKnight1337

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

I like faster Dragons than most people in the forums, I've fallen in love with the 360XL. With that in mind, here's the 1C build I've been the most successful with.

#12 AJDux

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

I have experimented with quite a few Dragon builds, and there are two builds I have personally found work the best for me (all relative of course, just suits how I play.....)

Build on 1N - 2xER-PPC and AC/2, AC5 or UAC5 (XL300 worked fine with AC2, for larger AC's you either loose heat efficiency or need to downgrade armour or engine size) the PPC on the shoulder is particularly useful for sniper pot-shots over the ridgeline.

Build on 1C- 1xGauss (4tons ammo) and 4x medium lasers, im having a lot of success with this atmo, usually 400-600 damage a game. Am using XL300 atmo but Im thinking of forking out for a 320 maybe, drop a couple of heatsinks as its running at 1.55 atmo I think from memory which is more than enough most the time. (I think ill try your build with the lrms later)

I tried a dual AC2 build but still lacked the teeth, and Im not a fan of lots of close range weapons in a Dragon like AC10 and 20, want to keep my distance as much as poss.

View PostAgentpony, on 22 May 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

No. Any ammo explosion in the side torsi can lead to a much faster demise of the engine there. If you pack it full of inert components though (heatsinks, equipment, weapons, gauss ammo) a side torso can get surprisingly resilient. A leg ammo explosion will only cost you that leg, if even that.

There is a function though that seems to consume ammo in the torso first. So, you might want to pack your main ammo into the legs, but you can put a little bit of it into the torso, an amount that you know you will certainly use quickly.

As I understood it Gauss ammo is not explosive?

#13 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:49 AM

If you only put the 300XL on the 1C, you can take a Gauss with 2 tons of ammo, 2xERLLAS, 2xMLAS. Make both lights and heavies regret meeting you.

#14 DarcStormm

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 6 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, United States

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hey everyone,
I just got the 1C, and have been looking for some good builds. I'm still new to the game, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Currently I have 2x PPC's , 1 ERPPC, 1 MLAS, and 1 SRM4.
Running 280XL, 13 DHS, endo, and artemis (though that was for using LRM's earlier, just left it)

DRG-1C

Any suggestions or comments always appreciated.

Thanks

#15 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

You seem to be running slow and hot. If you insist on not using the ballistic slot, how about something like this: DRG-1C. The arm-mounted medium lasers will come in handy if some light comes too close. 2 ERPPCs firing often will hurt more consistently than plain PPCs with ERPPC support firing rarely. You can go even faster and leaner, but with this, you would have to watch your heat more: DRG-1C.

Edited by Modo44, 09 June 2013 - 11:19 PM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users