2 replies to this topic

#1 Adalas

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

So, I had that idea while watching some different modes for animals to get rid of heat and try not to overheat.

Humans got sweat glands which makes them evacuate water through their pores constantly through exercise and get better when submerged in water (pretty much the normal heatsinks whe have now)
But what if we take it farther and make different kinds of heatsinks like the different kinds of heat dissipating modes in the animal kingdom?

Here are some ideas:

Sweating heatsink: (the actual heatsink)

Panting heatsink: no, there is no thongue involved in this. Instead, the heatsink counts on short and powerful bursts of cooling each second/2 seconds to get rid of the heating at the price of not dissipating heat for a second (that means walking whould accumutale heat when the heatsink is not dissipating). still whould work better in water

Steam heatsink: this one whould not dissipate heat at all until you press a button that release all heat at once in a certain amound of time depending on how many of those heatsinks you have. Perfect for support mechs who are behind the fronline, but whould be their undoing if in a close fight. The downside whould be that no weapon should be fired while dissipating heat or it will stop the dissipating. Also, it whould make a huge screen of steam around the mech, giving off a huge heat signature for ennemy sniper mechs to attack.

Could this be viable in the game? Or before that, could this be integrated in the lore and game?
Thanks for the opinions. If you have other ideas, don't hesitate.

Edited by Adalas, 05 May 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#2 Macheiron

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 86 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, MD

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

There are a number of different types of heat sinks already existing in Battletech canon.

Standard Heat Sinks
Double Heat Sinks

Later on come:
Laser Heat Sinks (clan only)
Compact Heat Sinks (IS only)

Keep in mind that 'heat sink' is something of a misnomer, they are actually heat pumps actively directing heat outward. You have an interesting idea, but I think it would needlessly complicate game-play and 'mech-building.

#3 Adalas

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostMacheiron, on 05 May 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

There are a number of different types of heat sinks already existing in Battletech canon.

Standard Heat Sinks
Double Heat Sinks

Later on come:
Laser Heat Sinks (clan only)
Compact Heat Sinks (IS only)

Keep in mind that 'heat sink' is something of a misnomer, they are actually heat pumps actively directing heat outward. You have an interesting idea, but I think it would needlessly complicate game-play and 'mech-building.

So we can't really integrate new stuff. Only stuff that already exists in the lore. Alright. Also, laser heatsink seems pretty much close to the steam heatsink idea I had. Too bad. Also, I don't think it'll be that more complicated will just make some sets of weapons more efficient. thanks for the clarifications.

Edited by Adalas, 05 May 2013 - 07:11 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users