#62 Jay Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 436 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

Looking great. I'm working on a Lego Jenner at the moment so I will post some pictures when I finish it.

#63 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

Nice Work :D

#64 Puppeteerxerxes

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:30 AM

View Postdak irakoz, on 20 June 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

yeah that's what I was afraid of.

I considered myself fairly warned. I've finished the initial by the instructions build, and all I can say is that for a project this size the part counts are off by a lot. I have at least 150 extra parts, and am missing a few key parts as well. I can't finish the foot assemblies.

There are a few places on the model that are stress joints (knees) that are held together by a few studs only, and cannot bear any weight at all. I'll be taking picks of the mech laid flat today, and of the individual parts to post. I figure over the coming weeks I'll rebuild a joint or 2, and redo areas as needed.

Dak, the joints in the legs are pretty weak for a model this size (my guess is 14" tall by 12" wide, I"ll measure when I take pics) Too bad there is no way to know from the LDD program. It's not even the torso, which is heavy, but the legs cannot even support themselves from under the torso turntable, and the arms are bending the crossbars.

I think in order to be able to display it I'll rework it so the joints are immobile. Sad but may be necessary. It's a beautiful design, I can't keep my kids from trying to play with it, and I'm planning on making a shelf to put it on to watch me play MWO.

#65 Rubidiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

Work's cool! It's a pity you cann't repaint it. :D

#66 Schrottfrosch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

This is great - but I would like to suggest to make a fully functional build with lego technic and their incredible mindstorm stuff - this is actually what might get me back into building with my lego bricks (I am hiding them carefully, no one even knows I still have them hehehe).

There is a second generation out now, which is quite expensive though if you buy it new (I think almost 700€ in germany), it comes with a programmable little computer and a wide range of motors and sensors (from their list of what is in it:" 1 NXT micro-computer – that acts as the brain of the robot, 2 Touch Sensors, 1 Ultrasonic Sensor – that makes the robot ‘see’ - and detect motion, 1 Color Sensor – that can detect different colours, light settings and acts as a lamp, 3 Interactive servo motors with built-in rotation sensors, 7 connector cables). You should be able to get the first generation quite cheap though I think or a used 2nd generation for around half the price. It is still quite an investment though unfortunately - but just think about a fully functioning Lego-mech walking around automatically!

I think you can also get remotecontrols from lego nowadays, too, which are much cheaper I think...

Link to Lego-mindstorms: http://mindstorms.le...ry/default.aspx

#67 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostPuppeteerxerxes, on 21 June 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

There are a few places on the model that are stress joints (knees) that are held together by a few studs only, and cannot bear any weight at all. I'll be taking picks of the mech laid flat today, and of the individual parts to post. I figure over the coming weeks I'll rebuild a joint or 2, and redo areas as needed.

Dak, the joints in the legs are pretty weak for a model this size (my guess is 14" tall by 12" wide, I"ll measure when I take pics) Too bad there is no way to know from the LDD program. It's not even the torso, which is heavy, but the legs cannot even support themselves from under the torso turntable, and the arms are bending the crossbars.

I think in order to be able to display it I'll rework it so the joints are immobile. Sad but may be necessary. It's a beautiful design, I can't keep my kids from trying to play with it, and I'm planning on making a shelf to put it on to watch me play MWO.

Ay, well, that's too bad. So which joints are too weak specifically? If I ever try to make it IRL, I'll have to find a way to rework them.

Edited by dak irakoz, 21 June 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#68 Puppeteerxerxes

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

View Postdak irakoz, on 21 June 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

Ay, well, that's too bad. So which joints are too weak specifically? If I ever try to make it IRL, I'll have to find a way to rework them.

I haven't bothered much with public pics on forums in the past. Here is a link to my dropbox folder. Started out with the legos and every 50 steps or so in build, then got tired of that and jumped to final pics. The feet are missing as I had the wrong bush joints to attach the triangles, and the leg/knee armor shrouds fell off several times so they are missing.

https://www.dropbox....6g5r/y2seAnkG1H

As for individual joints, the lower arms are actually pretty heavy and it's hard to pose them flexed at anything close to 90 degrees. The shoulder joint cross bars are actually flexing under the weight of the arms on both sides. Not sure shoulder mobility is an issue as any forward extension of the arms would tilt the mech forward even with the rest of the joints secure.

The upper knee joint area is held on by 2 studs. Any weight and they pop off. I've reworked them. When I start rejiggering the joints I'll try to rework them in the designer as well and keep the design as up to date as I can. The ankles just can't bear the weight of the legs. I really think they'll have to be static to support the mech. The hip joints are also very easy to pop off with any downward pull (like holding mech upright without support underneath) but that one should be easy to fix, there are several areas to interlink in the upper thigh that would hold it.

I think you did a wonderful job with the program you had to work with, even making cosmetic adjustments in that can be difficult until you get some practice. I love the way you set up the armor plates with the hinges and such.

A friend suggested I should build a scale mech bay as support so I can display it. I think I'll need to take a break for a while first lol. Thanks for the hard design work, it's fun and I expect to have a lot more continuing to work on it.

Edit: Note the size on the board underneath it - 18 inches tall by 12 wide. I haven't weighed it yet.

Edited by Puppeteerxerxes, 21 June 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#69 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

wow. incredible job on the building. It's extremely surreal to see something you designed being built by someone else.

#70 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

I've been wanting to ask this; may I post some pictures of my moc I've been working on it's not from Battletech, but I can't find a good place to post pictures of it, thought before I start posting it I might ask first.

#71 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

If you're looking for a good place to post it, I'd suggest flickr perhaps. There's a good lego community there. maybe a group like this? http://www.flickr.co...s/14238007@N00/

#72 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

View Postdak irakoz, on 23 June 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

If you're looking for a good place to post it, I'd suggest flickr perhaps. There's a good lego community there. maybe a group like this? http://www.flickr.co...s/14238007@N00/

See the thing is "working" means it's not done, as well I've only been just getting into mocs so I have kind of newbie building techniques, an was looking for feed back, I don't want to fill a groups sharing site.

#73 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

perhaps in "off topic"?

#74 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

View Postdak irakoz, on 23 June 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

perhaps in "off topic"?

Perhaps, perhaps indeed.

#75 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

View Postdak irakoz, on 23 June 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

perhaps in "off topic"?

So if you want to see it here it is
http://mwomercs.com/...26-my-lego-moc/

#76 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

I've made another mech, this time I'm pretty sure it can stand on its own.
http://mwomercs.com/...64#entry2492864

#77 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Nice!

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users