Change Email Address

Answered

56 replies to this topic

#41 Marcus Hazen

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

Well, Mechwarrior Tactics atleast let me change my email through CS.
I am not buying any more MC while confirmation emails go to the limbo of a no longer existing email address.

#42 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

Got an update. I lodged a complaint with PGI, and they escalated my case to the Director of Live Operations. He was very professional and helpful and basically said that there is definitely a "functionality" in the works. For some reason that I personally don't understand, they do not have an ETA on it yet (but then again, I'm not a programmer so I don't know how difficult it is to design such).

He did take my name and my new e-mail under file for the record, and gave me a validation guarantee whereby any changes made to my account must be approved through my new e-mail before they take effect. This is to protect the integrity of my account and prevent any hostile takeover since I will no longer have access to my old e-mail.

Like Marcus Hazen, I will not purchase any more EC until my e-mail is officially changed, but it is nice to know that PGI is taking the issue seriously and that they are taking steps to protect our accounts in the meantime, until they are able to roll out the new "functionality." I appreciate the rapid response I received from the PGI staff, as well as the assurances they provided; dealing with them has been a good experience. :D

#43 SgtKinCaiD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

I post a question about that in the ATD #49 => http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2827464

#44 IG 88

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSagunay, Québec Canada

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

View PostBFett, on 18 August 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

I agree, this is a basic feature that nearly all Online Games have. PGI please take a week and get this fixed before launch!

+1000

#45 Caesar_NZ

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 35 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

This needs a bump.

Come on PGI, get your A into G and fix this simple request please, seriously this is beyond a joke now.

I will not be spending any money on MWO until this is fixed because at the moment my accounts safety cannot be guaranteed thanks to your inability to change a simple email address.

Edited by Caezael, 17 October 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#46 a uberboy

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

It amazes me that they haven't fixed this yet.
I'm sitting here, wanting to buy a phoenix pack, but will not do so until the email I used to buy a founder's pack - my old university .edu address that I no longer have access to - can be changed to my current address.

#47 RedSonja01

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

This might be the only real website issue in all the forum.

BUMP.

#48 Kazooal

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNeuchatel, Switzerland

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:34 AM

I can't believe that this topic was open in MAY already, and still no answer from PGI.

I have the same issue. I have recently changed my email. The old one doesn't work any more.

So, I wanted to changed it in MWO profile. But, it's impossible ! The email form is not editable in my profile.

I already sent 3 messages to MWO support, but I got no answer... Obviously, if they sent me their replies on my old email, which one I cant read any more, we are in trouble...

But in the case I (they) will succeed in changing my email adress in my profile, what will happen with my login ? Will it be the new email ? Or still the old one ?

I feel very lonely without any "readable" reaction from MWO support side....

#49 Nukem Till They Glow

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMinot, ND, USA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

I can't believe there are a bunch of programmers making a pretty decent game, but they can't figure out how to quickly implement a very basic account feature that should have been in-place from the get-go. I have put a decent amount of $$ into this game, and I'm now starting to have second thoughts about it all.

IGP - you're starting to make me worry a little...

P.S. And what's up with not being about to add my first and last name to my profile as well???

#50 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostNiko Snow, on 22 October 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

To keep you updated: There's some great progress being made on this feature.
You can rest assured that we are working to deliver this ASAP.

E-mail addresses are used in a similar manner to database keys, and touch on a number of different systems which are hooked together: The game, the forums, the support ticketing system, the newsletter mailing system, etc... Changes to essential account information like this can seem basic or simple to the end-user, especially as the average player is going to see only a text box and a Submit button, but Front-Ends can be strikingly deceptive as to how much is going on behind the curtains after the button is pressed.

In the meantime, to improve your security, please check in with your e-mail host's support page to see what services and tips they offer to protect your e-mail account, or if they can offer assistance in reclaiming and securing your account if it has already been compromised.

We will update this thread again as Soon™ as the feature is available.

Uhhh... Niko I think PGI fails to understand that for some of us, the email service providers has 'Terminated' their email services altogether.
Requesting the user to do something about it is an invalid option.

There is nothing the user can do that PGI failed to predict use of email address as a login id and not being able to change it was going to be a big problem.

I myself have been waiting over a year for PGI to fix this problem.
I am currently hold on to a support ticket number proving that my new email address is indeed the owner of my MWO account. (I had to think for myself on the most logical workaround. :) )

Does PGI realise it does not have the means to contact affected users with non-longer valid email accounts ? (Not receiving MWO spam could be considered a good thing I guess. :blink: )
Why not add a secondary email address in the MWO database or something ??

We would like PGI be more transparent on this issue and possibly a timeline on the fix.

Edited by ShinVector, 23 October 2013 - 12:50 AM.

#51 Crackhead88

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:43 AM

LOL

And these guys want money?

#52 Kazooal

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNeuchatel, Switzerland

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:33 AM

You can rest assured that we are working to deliver this ASAP

Here is the answer I just received from MWO support :

Your request (#xxxxx) has been deemed solved (SIC !!!). To reopen, reply to this email.
Ecutioner (MechWarrior® Online™)

Oct 22 11:52 (PDT)
Hello Kazooal,
My apologies we are just getting to you.
Due to some technical and auditing limitations, we are not able to make changes to players' email addresses. We do have plans to implement a tool on the website profile page to allow users to make these changes on their own account though I do not have an ETA for that tool becoming available.
Sorry about that limitation.
Regards,
Ecutioner
GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™

So... just and again the same copy/paste reply. And no mention about the fact that "you are working to deliver this..."

#53 Schtirlitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

One more vote for email change possibility

#54 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

You can rest assured that we are working to deliver this ASAP.

E-mail addresses are used in a similar manner to database keys, and touch on a number of different systems which are hooked together: The game, the forums, the support ticketing system, the newsletter mailing system, etc... Changes to essential account information like this can seem basic or simple to the end-user, especially as the average player is going to see only a text box and a Submit button, but Front-Ends can be strikingly deceptive as to how much is going on behind the curtains after the button is pressed.

In the meantime, to improve your security, please check in with your e-mail host's support page to see what services and tips they offer to protect your e-mail account, or if they can offer assistance in reclaiming and securing your account if it has already been compromised.

I am proud to be a {Noble MechWarrior}, and I totally understand how much code/work can go into something that "simple", but whoever designed these backend systems has a really weird way of doing things. Emails, while vital for communication, are horrible things to lock someone's entire account to, because they change often. Even if it isn't hacked, people change jobs, change email providers, dump the crazy ex girlfriend/wife, etc. Hacking is actually the easiest one to remedy of all these, because that just requires a password reset.

That is why you base an account off of a unique ID, which is then related to an email address. This is often the username, but can also be a generated code that the user never actually sees. That way, all contact info is editable without affecting the account, and you then just have to worry about security.

Aside from that, the password reset is also oddly difficult to do. Yes, I can reset my password by clicking "I forgot my password" at login, but it is nearly impossible to find the way to do this while logged in. I had to do a forum search and go through five or six multi-page threads before I found a link to the hidden page... That is just back asswards, lol. Why even have an email/password page under settings if you can't edit a single thing in it, nor have a link or explanation of how to change it?

Edit: lol, it blocked out calling myself a "w hite k night".... /facepalm...

Edited by Cimarb, 28 October 2013 - 07:49 AM.

#55 casaido

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

I cannot change my password. What poor security this site has

It should be reported for poor security practices for logging into the site. I cannot edit my profile details in case ther eis changes

#56 SgtKinCaiD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

Woot ! Woot ! => https://mwomercs.com/profile/email

#57 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

View PostSgtKinCaiD, on 29 October 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

OMG! They finally fixed this damn thing.
Thanks for letting me know user.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users