102 replies to this topic

#81 Valore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

View Postredlance, on 16 May 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

wispsy is one of the most talented light pilots i know.

the way you adredd people just shows you don't belong here.

I know he's a talented light pilot. I've heard as much from friends who often see him on the light leaderboards during comps and who have played with him in the past. I also hear from them he can be a whiny [redacted] :rolleyes:

However, your definition of talented is simple and superficial. Talent involves more than just twitch skill or mastery of your chosen playstyle. Things like evolving to the meta, and using your team, picking your fights, these are equally or more important.

Refusing to improve on one and demanding the game suits those few skills you've arbitrarily decided are important, that's shortsighted self-importance right there.

I address people bluntly, but the fact that you can't see past that to see if those points have anything you need to consider means you probably need some cement in your diet as well. Wispy can defend himself, he doesn't need his fan club sticking up for him :lol:

#82 BlueSanta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 373 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostValore, on 16 May 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

I know he's a talented light pilot. I've heard as much from friends who often see him on the light leaderboards during comps and who have played with him in the past. I also hear from them he can be a whiny [redacted] :rolleyes:

However, your definition of talented is simple and superficial. Talent involves more than just twitch skill or mastery of your chosen playstyle. Things like evolving to the meta, and using your team, picking your fights, these are equally or more important.

Refusing to improve on one and demanding the game suits those few skills you've arbitrarily decided are important, that's shortsighted self-importance right there.

I address people bluntly, but the fact that you can't see past that to see if those points have anything you need to consider means you probably need some cement in your diet as well. Wispy can defend himself, he doesn't need his fan club sticking up for him :lol:

You can't "out talent" Streaks. If one, two, three Streak carrying 3Ls get on you, there is NOTHING you can do.

I don't know what game you have been playing that you haven't seen Streaks orbit a mech.

Listen, I know you're really committed to being a d-bag and using Streaks, but you are in the minority on this issue. You aren't going to admit that you're using a bugged crutch, so we're going to stop arguing with you, but rest assured, your day of reckoning is coming and it will be soon and I can't wait.

#83 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostBlueSanta, on 16 May 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

You can't "out talent" Streaks. If one, two, three Streak carrying 3Ls get on you, there is NOTHING you can do.

So basically you're saying skill should make you able to take on 3 3Ls and beat them? Okay then.

This basically summarises the difference between us.

When that happens to me, I don't jump on the forums and start a giant cry. I think to myself 'wtf was I doing getting caught out by 3 3Ls in the first place'.

Has it also occurred to you that being hit by 3 LL Stalkers, or 3 competent poptarts also has the same result?

I pilot every weight class, but when I go light, I'm a Jenny-F laserboat pilot. Guess why I don't get frustrated and come QQ on the forums. Its because when I see a bunch of Raven 3Ls, I run screaming like a little girl back to my team then laugh as they get PPCed/LLed to death chasing the jenner.

And then I go ahead and do my bloody job as a light, stabbing people in the back armour while my team draws aggro, scouting, or going to cap.

I'm thrilled as F* that people can't pull that 3L > everything crap anymore. But as a light pilot, I take offence when people start telling me Streaks own me and they're the end all to this game. They're the kind of embarrassment that give light pilots a rep as 3L lag shielding ECM streaking crybabies.

Edited by Valore, 16 May 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#84 Wispsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

View PostValore, on 16 May 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

So to return the compliment, go curl up in the corner and cry more for the days of when Raven 3Ls could take on everything and win.

No, I expect the crappy light pilots who were under the mistaken impression they were built to be able to fight on a level playing field with mechs heavier than them by circle strafing to death with lagshield to now QQ and quit the game.

I would not say lights fight on a level playing field against the heavier mechs, however if you can dodge every single shot they aim at you without one single mistake then you should have a chance at taking them out. I do not know what your Elo situation is, but when I drop in my lights (especially during English daytime when matchmaking takes so long it often fails when I am solo) I am expected to do a LOT if I want to win. It is all very well saying lights should not be able to take out heavier mechs on their own and should just do team only roles but if that is the case then they should remove Elo on lights so it stops expecting me to carry the entire team on my back. I mean it is hard enough when almost all the enemy mechs are capable of 1shotting me whilst standing in a nice small well covered group sniping at my teammates slowly wandering around looking at the scenery but you think that is not a big enough advantage for them so they should also be individually able to 3/4 shot me whilst NOT aiming at all too incase I am "dumb enough" to try and go in and kill them despite that being what the matchmaker has actually set up to happen...At high Elos you will literally not see lights...they will be a complete waste of a slot, except erppc Spiders perhaps.

Btw lights getting kills with circle strafing and lagshield ended with HSR right...if you can aim... I mean give the poor failing assaults more armour and higher alphas better heat, more speed I do not care but giving everybody completely unavoidable damage is rather lame when you have a weight class that gets 30 max ct armour and only survives at all through dodging or being ignored.

#85 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:59 AM

View PostWispsy, on 17 May 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

Btw lights getting kills with circle strafing and lagshield ended with HSR right...if you can aim... I mean give the poor failing assaults more armour and higher alphas better heat, more speed I do not care but giving everybody completely unavoidable damage is rather lame when you have a weight class that gets 30 max ct armour and only survives at all through dodging or being ignored.

The ideal shouldn't even involve dodging though. If you're letting things with big guns take free shots at you, then I think that's a mistake you've made as a light.

The light's biggest strength is being able to fight where he chooses because of his speed, and refusing to fight when the environment isn't to his advantage. While I agree some maps like Caustic Valley and Alpine leave you few options because of the wide open spaces, that's the breaks, some maps favour you, others don't.

I think you've pointed out the biggest problem, that you can't carry the team. Lights are like LRM boats in that sense, that their role relies heavily on having a team that uses them to their full advantage. That's a problem with the ELO and the variables it takes into account more than anything else.

And I see quite a few lights in higher ELO brackets. Having something that keeps poking you in the back for 30 damage when you're being attacked from the front by something else is incredibly effective. Or having to fight a light mech in River City which refuses to come out of the buildings, instead dancing around to constantly chip away at your armour. Or running around capping and being a real nuisance.

To say Streaks will render this all useless is nonsense hyperbole on a massive scale, and completely unhelpful considering the game is still evolving and changing.

#86 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

View PostValore, on 17 May 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

The ideal shouldn't even involve dodging though. If you're letting things with big guns take free shots at you, then I think that's a mistake you've made as a light.

The light's biggest strength is being able to fight where he chooses because of his speed, and refusing to fight when the environment isn't to his advantage. While I agree some maps like Caustic Valley and Alpine leave you few options because of the wide open spaces, that's the breaks, some maps favour you, others don't.

I think you've pointed out the biggest problem, that you can't carry the team. Lights are like LRM boats in that sense, that their role relies heavily on having a team that uses them to their full advantage. That's a problem with the ELO and the variables it takes into account more than anything else.

And I see quite a few lights in higher ELO brackets. Having something that keeps poking you in the back for 30 damage when you're being attacked from the front by something else is incredibly effective. Or having to fight a light mech in River City which refuses to come out of the buildings, instead dancing around to constantly chip away at your armour. Or running around capping and being a real nuisance.

To say Streaks will render this all useless is nonsense hyperbole on a massive scale, and completely unhelpful considering the game is still evolving and changing.

No you can carry the team as an LRM boat, although that is different even if it was true as not being able to carry whilst boating only one single weapon is different to not being able to carry as an entire weight class... As I said earlier, yes lights can do great things if completely ignored, just like anything else. I do not get ignored often...plenty of really good light pilots actually get hunted and prioritised. There is no "sneaky back hitting" if the enemy is clued up and often on ts.

#87 Flcn

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:05 AM

Streaks are good the way they are and common the really do lil enough damadge so that everybody should be able to easily kill
that strek cat .. except maybe some lights who cant just ran out of range ...

#88 Brkojle

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:00 AM

hmmmm....I play StreakCat for last few days. I can't notice that my works the same way I've just saw here. My are spreading. I remember that I attacked an AFK highlander from a side. Almost no streak hit his torzo. I am not sure but I think that Streak Cat will be overpowered with BAP after upcoming patch. As usual, I don't play OP Mech such as PPC at this moment. If S-Cat become OP I will be 1st to write about it.

at this moment....I am not sure how old are your videos but somehow I don't believe that they are new.

#89 CJF_Helly

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBremen, Germany

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:53 AM

Funny to see, that some players always need to "whine" post on the Forum if one weapon does not fit their personal play style. You were crying that lrms were op and they got nerfed to uselessness and now you are crying about ssrms.Want to get it nerfed too? You cant compare Testing grounds with real multiplayer matches. In the testing grounds there is no ecm, no lags and no enemy fire. I bet the guys crying here are the same squallers who wanted the ppc to get buffed because they couldnt snipe good. Its just damn annoying....

#90 Mizore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 427 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

Streaks have been overpowered since the start of open beta, when they were patched in that way that they'd hit for 100%... since then we never stopped whining about streaks and the way how streaks work has to change definetely, because otherwise you simply can't balance Clan-SSRM6 in the future.

In the days of closed beta, streaks were much more balanced, because you could evade them as a light mech when you ran in narrow circles.
You had to wait for the right moment to fire your streaks in a light vs light combat and not brainless push the fire button the whole time like it is now.

A good example how streaks should work can be seen in MWLL, there you have to hold your reticule over the enemy mech the whole flight time or otherwise they would react like normal SRMs.

#91 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostMizore, on 17 May 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

A good example how streaks should work can be seen in MWLL, there you have to hold your reticule over the enemy mech the whole flight time or otherwise they would react like normal SRMs.

That wasn't the only factor for Streaks in MWLL, they also had a very fast flight pattern, so if you locked on a fast target moving perpendicularly but didnt lead the target a bit they would mostly miss. Hopefully they will adopt a similar structure for MWO because otherwise those SSRM6's and 4's will be pretty over powered out of the gates.

Here's a video where I use some, about 30-40 seconds in:

http://youtu.be/g-W_GGK30Fs?t=34s

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 17 May 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#92 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

I have no problem with Streaks remaining effective. Streaks SHOULD be a deterrent and a threat to light 'Mechs.

The current implementation of Streaks, however, is simply atrocious. They do not need a massive nerf by any means - but the way streaks favor the CT on most light mechs is simply unbalanced and gamebreaking. Streaks are not in alignment with the "skill based" nature of this game, plain and simple.

And Valore - there's a difference between QQing about something because it doesn't suit your playstyle and calling out an unbalanced system. Games need balance - competitive games need it even more so - Streaks are out of balance, end of story.

Edit: From ATD 38:

Wispsy: At least on certain mechs (Jenner for one) SSRMs only hit the front ct, even if the mech is directly behind you you can die with full back armour. Is there any plans to change this at all considering how quickly they can kill lights right now?
A: Currently the SSRMs will randomly hit one of 8 bones on a Mech. The cluster of these bones is generally around the CT area. In addition to a large splash damage effect, and damage transfer – most of the damage is ending up on the CT, even though the missiles are actually hitting at different locations on the mech. It’s not actually a bug, rather a tuning fix to minimize splash damage. This tuning adjustment will go live on the 21st

... thank you, Mechwarrior Jesus. Thank you!

Edited by DEMAX51, 17 May 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#93 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Actually the streaks won't be fixed until in June, according to the updated answer in AtD, so 2 weeks of BAP-induced CT-coring streaks it is. Yeah I'm not gonna drive any lights or meds until this mess is fixed.

#94 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

Oh well. Two weeks isn't that bad. At least the issue is being addressed, and we're not just being told it's"working as intended."

#95 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

Wow...did not know that little nugget about artemis boosting streak lock...and from what ive heard from clannies, BAP will counter ecm next patch.....goodbye 4ppc stalker..HELLOOOOO STREAK CAT!

Edited by xXBagheeraXx, 18 May 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#96 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

its not supposed to, i'd consider that a bug if its true. my A1 does have atremis, but thats only for when im using srms or lrms.

avoiding ssrms as a light is dead easy. avoiding other things not so much.

#97 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

View PostChavette, on 11 May 2013 - 03:34 AM, said:

If you skip through the video after the start, take a look at 3:35 too, its the other great point. Streaks travel through your own mech, can fire backwards, all that crazy jazz.

How they used to work. I'd be content with this but with the current missile speed, slightly more yaw-turning ability but nothing like the insane BS we have now.

Watch their behavior on these...

Around this Jenner.
Then there's this Streak Spin.

#98 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:48 AM

View PostAsmosis, on 19 May 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

its not supposed to, i'd consider that a bug if its true. my A1 does have atremis, but thats only for when im using srms or lrms.

avoiding ssrms as a light is dead easy. avoiding other things not so much.

It is a confirmed bug, there was a topic in this section few days ago that had both evidence and confirmation from PGI.

It was quickly removed, though. Let's just hope they fix it as soon as possible.

#99 TheSteelRhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 600 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:17 AM

This is a waste of bandwidth. Yor word from the street is wrong

First off the testing grounds is buggy. Period

Second, all missiles have a splash dmg bug. Current state is a temp fix. In fact lrm and srms are getting a pattern change so they can rework the dmg soon. It is probably safe to assume this will be fixed then. So put utube away until they fix it. This was a waste of bandwidth and is just getting peoe angry that pgi is doing nothing when in fact they are working on it already. Go read the weapons balancing stuff in command chair or listen to the no guts no galaxy podcast 72. A dev was talking about missiles and artemis

#100 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:22 AM

View PostRhinehardt Ritter, on 21 May 2013 - 04:17 AM, said:

This is a waste of bandwidth. Yor word from the street is wrong

First off the testing grounds is buggy. Period

Second, all missiles have a splash dmg bug. Current state is a temp fix. In fact lrm and srms are getting a pattern change so they can rework the dmg soon. It is probably safe to assume this will be fixed then. So put utube away until they fix it. This was a waste of bandwidth and is just getting peoe angry that pgi is doing nothing when in fact they are working on it already. Go read the weapons balancing stuff in command chair or listen to the no guts no galaxy podcast 72. A dev was talking about missiles and artemis

Quite contrary this and similar threads have been nothing but useful. A couple of weeks ago the official reply was that streaks are working just fine. Now they're going to look at it until next patch, or until whichever patch it'll be delayed to.

27 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users