7 Volleys Of 4Xsrm2+Art. Directly To The Ct Cores An Atlas... And 7 Volleys Of 4Xssrm2 Also Ct-Cores The Same Atlas...

18 replies to this topic

#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

I went into the Testing Grounds to see how the Streak SRMs are doing compared to the Normal SRMs... so I set up an experiment - Stand 100m away from an Atlas's frontside, and fire Quad Missile Platforms at it. I had either Quad SSRM2, or Quad SRM2+ Artemis.

Here are the disturbing results: after 7 volleys of quad SRM2+ Artemis, where every single missile hit squarely in the middle of the CT, the Atlas died from CT core and the LT and RT armor was reddish-orange.
Guess what happened when I used Streaks? After exactly 7 volleys of quad Streak SRM2, the Atlas died from CT Core, but the LT and RT still had yellowish-orange Armor remaining.
  • This means that direct hits to the middle of a Mech's Center Torso from SRM2+Artemis causes MORE damage-spread than Streak SRMs that impact all around the Mech.
SSRMs are not spreading across the body as intended by the Developers. Yes, this has been stated before, but I want to make a specific point regarding the Joint-Targeting. The SSRMs may be programmed to target different bodyparts and joints and stuff... but they target "Joints" that are squarely on the CT hotbox, and they don't spread their splash damage around as much as normal SRMs do.

Look for yourself - Target an Atlas or a Catapult or whatever, and a significant number of missiles will target the "hips" but the location of impact is not on a Leg hitbox, it's part of the CT Hitbox. The Streak SRMs are not doing excessive Splash Damage to the CT, as reported by many users, but they are targeting locations on the CT as if it were other parts of the body, and failing to distribute damage to adjacent bodyparts.

TL, DR: I wanted to report that fact that SRM2's that hit dead-square in the middle of a Mech's chest cause more damage spread than SSRMs that impact all over the place, and SSRMs' targeting locations that are supposed to spread-out damage are causing it to concentrate in the CT.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 12 May 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Having used Artemis as of late, I do see SRMs being very effective at coring a slow-moving target.

Despite stating that Streaks don't core exclusively the CT, the changes are insufficient because they still affect the CT greatly, but probably not to the same degree as the SRM. Having them target the joints still doesn't quite get the targeted part the majority of the damage...

So... I can only saying this can be potentially be broken further in the next patch.

#3 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Yep, the missile nerf hammered SRMs (the less broken missiles) and left streaks still highly powered. Admittedly better than before.

#4 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostCato Phoenix, on 12 May 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

Yep, the missile nerf hammered SRMs (the less broken missiles) and left streaks still highly powered. Admittedly better than before.

It's not the "Highly Powered" part, it's the fact that SSRMs that impact all over the place cause Less damage spread than SRMs that impact dead-center... it makes no sense...

#5 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Also, missile damage is quite a bit different in the training grounds than it is in live play. This is a known problem.

#6 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

Thats interesting.

I'm sure theres a joke about something being shot into a knee in there somewhere.

Are the training grounds 100% up to date with the missile tweaks on the live servers?

*edit*

how is the arm damage for the ssrm spread? was just wondering if a missile on LT damages LT+CT and a missile on RT damages RT+CT, that'd be less damage overall (to torso) compared to two direct hits to CT which would have 2x RT/CT/LT dmg as opposed to 2xCT + 1xRT/LT dmg.

Edited by Asmosis, 12 May 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#7 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

View Postaniviron, on 12 May 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

Also, missile damage is quite a bit different in the training grounds than it is in live play. This is a known problem.

Yeah, that's true... however the last few times I ran my X-5 and came across some Streak-equipped enemies, I torso-twisted the best I could, and died from CT-core with my arms and side torsos still well-armored.

I'm not trying to make a complaint thread, just that I wanted to mention that I don't think that Splash-overlap is the problem causing the Streaks' CT-happiness...

#8 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:11 PM

streaks would pretty much have to land dead centre of CT to only manage light damage, unless they heavily scaled the damage falloff towards the end of its radius, which i think they did mention.

imagine the CT as a dart board, ssrms always hitting bullseyes and srms hitting the outer ring etc, and then imagine that the radius for splash is about same size as the dartboard too.

Edited by Asmosis, 12 May 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#9 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

This is perhaps the first time I've ever seen you take a stance different from the developers, Prosperity. Well done experiment. I hope it catches their attention.

#10 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 13 May 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

This is perhaps the first time I've ever seen you take a stance different from the developers, Prosperity. Well done experiment. I hope it catches their attention.

;)

You haven't been keeping track of me for very long, have you? (heheh)

Anyways, I'm not the first to point this out. I guess this thread could've just been folded into the Streaks not working as intended thread, anyways.

#11 Volthorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 12 May 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Yeah, that's true... however the last few times I ran my X-5 and came across some Streak-equipped enemies, I torso-twisted the best I could, and died from CT-core with my arms and side torsos still well-armored.

That's a whole other issue, stemming from the Cicada being 90% CT and 8% legs. The last 2% of the 'Mech rarely (if EVER) gets hit. I can count on one finger the number of time I've died to a ST-loss in my X5.

#12 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

You cant train in the training grounds.
It is a completely different game in there.
Not sure why it exists?

#13 Phaesphoros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 12 May 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

The Streak SRMs are not doing excessive Splash Damage to the CT, as reported by many users, but they are targeting locations on the CT as if it were other parts of the body, and failing to distribute damage to adjacent bodyparts.

Though this may be true, I don't think we get any attention of the developers if we claim something they think is impossible / not the case. Additionally, we cannot be sure they hit the CT, as we only see their visual representations, not their computed impact locations. Same goes for excessive splash damage: Amaris revealed an excess damage (which is an observation), not an excess splash damage (which is an interpretation).

What we can see is the damage spread as indicated by the paperdolls. Therefore, IMO we should rather claim (use phrases like) "SSRMs damaging CT more than expected" or even "SSRMs intolerably focussing damage on CT".
Because this is what we can see on the paperdolls, which indicates either a bug in the paperdolls or a bug in or requested change of SSRMs (it's only a bug if it doesn't work as expected by the devs; it's not necessarily a bug if it doesn't work as expected by us).

#14 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

I posted in the other streak thread regarding this... but I wonder if this is an "indirect nerf"? It doesn't seem really effective enough to ward off CT damage (it fails miserably), but the fact that it is doing less damage than Artemis is technically a "positive" thing.

#15 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:36 AM

Bryan Ekman ‏@bryanekman 11h
@mmessina_author @RadioU_Sam ask the devs will have a response for the SSRMs

#16 bonapartist1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

I wish Piranha would FIX THE HORRIBLY BUGGY AND OP SSRMS instead of just locking every thread where their abuse is documented.

NO MONEY FOR PIRANHA.

#17 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:16 AM

That's funny. I didn't have any issues with blocking SSRMs with my Cicada's arms over last week....

#18 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Good job researching this PP. Excellent results.

:huh:

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 18 May 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#19 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

I've been killed by streaks when full armored rear CT and cored front CT while 100 meters apart and racing away at 150 kph.. it's like they caught up then jumped to my front CT! lol

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users