#21 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostZphyr, on 18 May 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

Until the game becomes playable again, am reduced to a very casual player. Between extreme lag/slideshows and <10 fps, it just gets too frustrating after a couple matches. It feels silly shooting at the air hoping to hit something (and not a teamate).

K-wa<b>

Grasshopper, have you seen any of the posts concerning laptop users posts in the hardware section? :)

Processor: i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs)
RAM: 8GB
Card: AMD Radeon HD 7650M

Ok, newer laptops/desktops have Turbo Boost which kicks the a core or two of the CPU to a higher speed. Due to power requirements it will not boost all of the cores. Think of TB as a quirky way to temporarily overclock.

As many people know, OC brings its own baggage, not just in power requirements but also increased heat being generated. With laptops they already have a lower heat threshold when compared to desktops. Turbo Boost kicks in, 2 then 1 core are TB, which then heat kicks up. Heat on that one core hits a temperature threshold forcing the cycle to underclock the CPU to allow it to cool down.

Work around is to disable Turbo boost. On the following link it provides it will work at 99% but from real time feedback many of the players had to use either 98% (a few 97%) to get good results.

Disabling Intel Turbo Boost - Tautvidas Sipavičius

I would also suggest a can of compressed air to clear out the heatsinks once a month and a cooling pad.

So far at least 85 laptop users and 5 desktop users have benefited from the power management adjustments. Just remember that when installing new programs such as MSI Afterburner or such, they may change your power options. Just following the directions listed to change the power mgt with that profile.

Kresiel, could you post your system information?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 19 May 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#22 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

I have. for about two months. Been back for a week. Have a lot more fun than before the break.

#23 AceTimberwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • Location春日部市、埼玉県、日本; アメリカ: Arcadia, CA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:25 AM

View PostOy of MidWorld, on 19 May 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

I have. for about two months. Been back for a week. Have a lot more fun than before the break.

Hopefully Tuesday patch just knocks it out of the park

#24 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostAceTimberwolf, on 20 May 2013 - 03:25 AM, said:

Hopefully Tuesday patch just knocks it out of the park

Yeah, could be awesome... ;)

#25 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:53 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 19 May 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

K-wa<b>

Grasshopper, have you seen any of the posts concerning laptop users posts in the hardware section? :D

Processor: i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs)
RAM: 8GB
Card: AMD Radeon HD 7650M

Ok, newer laptops/desktops have Turbo Boost which kicks the a core or two of the CPU to a higher speed. Due to power requirements it will not boost all of the cores. Think of TB as a quirky way to temporarily overclock.

As many people know, OC brings its own baggage, not just in power requirements but also increased heat being generated. With laptops they already have a lower heat threshold when compared to desktops. Turbo Boost kicks in, 2 then 1 core are TB, which then heat kicks up. Heat on that one core hits a temperature threshold forcing the cycle to underclock the CPU to allow it to cool down.

Work around is to disable Turbo boost. On the following link it provides it will work at 99% but from real time feedback many of the players had to use either 98% (a few 97%) to get good results.

Disabling Intel Turbo Boost - Tautvidas Sipavičius

I would also suggest a can of compressed air to clear out the heatsinks once a month and a cooling pad.

So far at least 85 laptop users and 5 desktop users have benefited from the power management adjustments. Just remember that when installing new programs such as MSI Afterburner or such, they may change your power options. Just following the directions listed to change the power mgt with that profile.

Kresiel, could you post your system information?

I too play this game on a laptop:

MSI GT683DX-US (custom from XoticPC April 2012)
i7-2760QM
Nvidia GTX570m
12 GB RAM
Dual 750 GB hard discs

I have all detail maxed with typical frames between 30 and 50, although I've seen some funky frame issues a couple times when recording. I could probably get a little better detail by dropping the resolution, which seems to make a much larger difference in performance than any of the detail sliders.

-k

#26 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

So anyone else have good games they recommend till we get another Patch? I was gonna try neverwinter but can't seem to get registered

#27 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

For me, many of these things are away from gaming, but it seems that although I have many choices as far as games go, I always seem to gravitate towards my favorites, regardless of how old they may be. Having a decent computer is a relatively new thing for me, having bought my MSI last year, so I still have some attachment for the games of the last 20 years I've always enjoyed. That said, there are many free games out there I've heard of that might be worth giving a shot, like Warthunder, Paths of Exile, World of Warplanes, etc. My time to play computer games is so small though, that I don't really branch out and use my limited time for this.

-k

#28 Zphyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 703 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 19 May 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

snip

Thank you, kind sir. =)

Already changed the setting to disable TB a couple weeks ago, but noticed no significant improvement while playing (aside from the laptop not overheating as much... which is great). I've got no idea why it's still so slow, but will keep trying. *sigh*

#29 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostAceTimberwolf, on 21 May 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

So anyone else have good games they recommend till we get another Patch?
War Thun-... oh, wait.

Hmmh. I've stumbled over Kerbal Space Program. I know, it's been released for ages, but for some reason I only recently found time to actually d/l and give it a try. In case you don't already know, it's a pseudo-game that lets you build rockets and spaceship out of hundreds of parts, and then see how far (or if at all) they fly. Rather entertaining!

This early model had a slight weakness in its structural tolerance
A budget model, the spin-stabilized minishuttle!
I'm getting better at this ...

Other than that ... if you enjoy so-called roguelikes, I could recommend the indie game "FTL". In it, you command the crew of a small frigate that has to journey through unexplored space in order to escape a pursueing flottilla. The game rewards you for clever micromanaging, as you have to make important decisions regarding which crewmember to use when for what. Things can get hectic when you need to repair some critical system in the midst of a battle, and to top it off a boarding party has just beamed over! You can pause at any time to issue orders, however. [screenshot]

Amongst the systems you control are also the ship's doors and airlocks, though, which can be handy in order to extinguish fires ... or get rid of enemy boarders. Take good care of the controlling terminal, though. I actually managed to lock myself in after venting the central corridor of my ship in order to get rid of a fire. Unfortunately, before the fire died out it damaged the door control computer, locking all doors - open or closed - in place. Fail!

Here's a small video about it from TotalBiscuit, and the game itself can be purchased for 10 bucks here or on Steam.

Lastly, you could take a look at Mount & Blade, another very neat indie game that could best be described as a mixture of RPG and medieval 3D FPS. In the campaign, you start out as a single guy/gal, but can recruit followers and set out to become a merchant, a mercenary, or even try to get knighted and work your way up your preferred faction's nobility. Things get epic when you've amassed an army of hundreds of knights and militia and have earned the right to have your own fief with a castle. Or would you rather become a successful bandit, pillage villages and enslave their population? The choices are yours! Just be careful, the game employs a relatively realistic damage system, and many a powerful knight met a quick end via an arrow through their head...
It also features some very enjoyable multiplayer battles with castle sieges and stuff, but sadly the campaign is single-player only.
You may also be interested in the standalone Napoleonic Wars expansion, which is 100% multiplayer and uses M&B's fantastic combat system for huge online battles set in the Napoleonic age, complete with musket, cannon, saber... and even musicians! Check out the website for trailers and screenshots.

Hope that helps. ;)

#30 Omdra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

With "Legacy of Romulus" gone life in Star Trek Online and me having a life time account (trekkie ftw!) I am currently back into STO, leveling up a romulan char!

cheers
Om

#31 Sky Ferrix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Augusta, SC

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

I take breaks quite often. Every now and then I'll binge play for a week or two, and then just forget about MWO for a while. Without CW I don't really feel incentive to play. Once the outcomes of battles actually start to influence the game, I think I'll be dropping quite often. Even more so once the Clans enter the fray.

Needless to say, I still enjoy browsing the forums in the meantime.

#32 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

i think cw is close, i notice they added stats on the maps section of the game info pages, something about reload time?

#33 ElCadaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 163 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

What is getting to me is that we have a great community in our merc corps, but the amount of in game crashing I am getting makes me an unreliable pick for competitive matches, basically killing the gaming experience for me.

#34 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

View PostOmdra, on 22 May 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

With "Legacy of Romulus" gone life in Star Trek Online and me having a life time account (trekkie ftw!) I am currently back into STO, leveling up a romulan char!
If only it were a proper faction instead of STO's version of WoW Pandaren, and if only they were the real Romulans (RSE > Republic) ...

But I happen to have a lifetime account there as well. Will probably take a look soon'ish ...

I'm waiting with checking out NWO until drow become available. That game has some weird class design decisions that are severely limiting the usage of an already limited ruleset, and in doing so ruined the possibility of resurrecting an old P&P character (half-elf shortsword + crossbow rogue). The drow warrior is my alternative, but I believe they are still locked for a month or so.

View PostElCadaver, on 22 May 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

but the amount of in game crashing
And the issue with loading textures, and the games that start with too few people, and the huge jumps in balancing ... :)

#35 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:05 AM

If the day comes that you can play this game on a 73 inch screen with 7.1 sound then I will use a laptop. More to the point though I am only a DCMS not official I guess? I can't take a break, if a day went that I did not play I think my head would blow-up. I have many friends that will not even load the game until community warfare is in the game. They want a reason to play other than blowing things up. They want war 24/7. WE DON'T NEED NO STINKEN BREAK. We are divided into many groups but it is only for House Kurita we fight, as one.

Edited by shotokan5, 23 May 2013 - 04:11 AM.

#36 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

View PostInveramsay, on 19 May 2013 - 12:48 AM, said:

I have played about five matches since the highlander patch, it's just not fun any more. In fact this is probably the first time I've actually logged on to the forums since then as well. It is awfully repetitive now and playing feels like a chore

Same here. That coupled with the devs pretty much spitting in the faces of early adopters by going against their pillars of game design they laid down to grab money from fans, then doing a 180 to grab the remaining funds from the FPS crowd. Bryan is ...well I wont go there but im pretty much taking a long hiatus.

#37 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

View Postshotokan5, on 23 May 2013 - 04:05 AM, said:

If the day comes that you can play this game on a 73 inch screen with 7.1 sound then I will use a laptop. More to the point though I am only a DCMS not official I guess? I can't take a break, if a day went that I did not play I think my head would blow-up. I have many friends that will not even load the game until community warfare is in the game. They want a reason to play other than blowing things up. They want war 24/7. WE DON'T NEED NO STINKEN BREAK. We are divided into many groups but it is only for House Kurita we fight, as one.

I'm hoping CW comes sooner rather than later, and if they follow through on the most recent promised timeline, we should see some sort of CW Phase I implementation in June. As far as playing with a laptop goes, it allows me the freedom to play from anywhere in the house and even take the game on the road if I like. Also, I can hook it up to either a 39" or 47" HDTV, which is a trip and takes a couple games to get used to each time.

View PostViper69, on 23 May 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

Same here. That coupled with the devs pretty much spitting in the faces of early adopters by going against their pillars of game design they laid down to grab money from fans, then doing a 180 to grab the remaining funds from the FPS crowd. Bryan is ...well I wont go there but im pretty much taking a long hiatus.

Please keep the flames to the Metagame forums. I feel the pain as far as CW goes, as like all you, I've been waiting just as long for it to drop, in fact, maybe longer than most... CW was promised on MPBT Solaris AOL and never happened. The game went pay per hour and I couldn't go on anymore.

-k

#38 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

View PostKdogg788, on 23 May 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

Please keep the flames to the Metagame forums. I feel the pain as far as CW goes, as like all you, I've been waiting just as long for it to drop, in fact, maybe longer than most... CW was promised on MPBT Solaris AOL and never happened. The game went pay per hour and I couldn't go on anymore.

-k

It is not a flame only a harsh criticism and if they cannot handle harsh criticism then they are in the wrong business.

I appreciate the criticism though.

Edited by Viper69, 23 May 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#39 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostViper69, on 23 May 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

It is not a flame only a harsh criticism and if they cannot handle harsh criticism then they are in the wrong business.

I appreciate the criticism though.

It is what it is and it is clear to everyone who actually cares what they are doing. I still hold out that they will come back by launch launch to have everything ready but I fear CW will come at launch and not be able to be tested before then

#40 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostKdogg788, on 23 May 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

I'm hoping CW comes sooner rather than later, and if they follow through on the most recent promised timeline, we should see some sort of CW Phase I implementation in June. As far as playing with a laptop goes, it allows me the freedom to play from anywhere in the house and even take the game on the road if I like. Also, I can hook it up to either a 39" or 47" HDTV, which is a trip and takes a couple games to get used to each time.

-k

Ahh, never made the leap to Gamestorm and the monthly rate? /nods. iirc I believe most of the Europeans continued playing on the AOL server as it was included in their rate plan while everyone else eventually migrated to Gamestorm.

For others, the timeline Solaris went live in 96 on AOL (paid by the min/hour) then mid/late 97, after AOL had gone to a monthly flat rate for its internet servers majority of its games went to an $2/hr rate. But there was another server that was separate and was being utilized by Earthlink, Prodigy and a few other providers. The non-AOL servers formed the basis for Gamestorm with a flat rate monthly pay plan (originally $35/month then dropped to $10/month). It had several other games and different developers with games such as Airwarrior, Stellar Empires, Legends of Kesmai, Starship Troopers, Magestorm, etc ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameStorm).

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 23 May 2013 - 01:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users