Sli Functional Workaround; Few Graphical Glitches

34 replies to this topic

#1 xor1337

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

I posted this elsewhere but thought it important enough to get the info in the workarounds list.

I was able to more than double my fps with SLi enabled.

Warning: turn off AA if you use this workaround, it causes dark grainy splotches.
Also causes some flashing of the mech damage glow.

Joy to ALL, I got SLi up and running on MWO!

First I wanna explain my system specs and the situation.
My system:
Intel i7 3.4Ghz
12GB DDR3
Windows 7 64bit
2x Nvidia GTX 260 in SLi

I've been playing MWO since December with all settings at Medium and AA off. With this setup I would average about 40fps. I couldn't turn the settings up anymore without some pretty choppy gameplay.

Now that I've enabled SLi I'm running with all settings at High or Very High with a solid 70fps. AA remains off because with SLi on it creates weird dark grainy spots.

Only other artifact is that the Mech Damage glowing does flicker a bit, but not enough to care about, and with the particles on very high there is usually so much smoke etc that you don't notice.

Ok now to the fix.
I'm running Nvidia beta driver 320.14 and Nvidia Inspector 1.9.7.1
Using Nvidia inspector I opened the Mechwarrior Online Profile and made the following changes:
1. SLi compatibility bits (DX1x): 0x000040F5 (Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Crysis 3)
2. SLi compatibility bits :0x02506405 (Crysis, ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead, Take-on helicopters, ArmA 3, ArmA 2, Crysis 2, Crysis 3, Crysis: Warhead, Merchants of Brooklyn, Nexuiz, OCCT)
3.Number of GPUs to use on SLi rendering mode: SLI_GPU_COUNT_TWO
4.NVIDIA predefined number of GPUs to use on SLi rendering mode on Direct X 10: SLI_PREDEFINED_GPU_COUNT_DX10_TWO
5.NVIDIA predefined number of GPUs to use on SLi rendering mode: SLI_PREDEFINED_GPU_COUNT_TWO
6.NVIDIA predefined SLi mode on DirectX 10: SLI_PREDEFINED_MODE_DX10_FORCE_AFR
7.NVIDIA predefined SLi mode: SLI_PREDEFINED_MODE_FORCE_AFR2

Just hit "Apply changes" and then make sure SLi is enabled in the Nvidia Driver Control panel.

I'll Say again, TURN OFF AA, SLi makes grainy dark patches on screen with it on.
This fix more than doubled my fps and the only cost is flickering Mech glow damage!

I'm just throwing this out there Game Devs, it would be really nice if you could work on the flickering mech glow damage AND the AA dark patches with SLi enabled.

#2 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

I highly doubt you'll see PGI attempt to do anything like that, because once Nvidia releases a driver update with an actual SLI profile, it wouldn't be needed.

Kudos on getting it to work, though. I've been waiting patiently for SLI, too (not for FPS improvements, really - just to stop putting so much extra strain on my master GPU)

Edited by DEMAX51, 17 May 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#3 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

I wonder what's with SLI not working for so many people, its worked for me since closed beta on 2xGTX275s.. Never needed to adjust anything in the driver control panel or nSpector.

Edited by frag85, 19 May 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#4 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

Tried and was in awe until i shot at something ;)

Game runs at 110+ fps with this but everytime a laser connects to a target my fps halves for the duration making it feel like lag. During a regular match (non testing grounds) this makes it unplayable.

Tried all SLI rendering settings and 2 different driver versions (320.14 too). Really sad to go back because i had 100+ fps with high settings and a major firefight going on in upper city but the moment i shot and hit it lagged in that weird way :P

Edited by Budor, 31 May 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#5 Caballo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 416 posts
  • Location"Mechs are mobile war machines. You're either moving, or you're dead"

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

Nice try.

I got screen flickering all over my three displays until I alt+tab (Sometimes once, sometimes a couple of times...) And then that "Brightness flickering" on the damaged area until I alt+tab again. It's strange, but when i hit any part of any mech, apart from the flickering glowing effect, the glow doesn't disappear. Ever. It's just there until you kill the enemy or alt+tab.

EDIT: Also, i have the same issue as Budor. I can fire my lasers at everything with no impact, but when i hit a mech, the FPS gets halved. I think it can be related to the flickering-perma-glow.

Edited by Caballo, 31 May 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#6 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

View Postfrag85, on 19 May 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

I wonder what's with SLI not working for so many people, its worked for me since closed beta on 2xGTX275s.. Never needed to adjust anything in the driver control panel or nSpector.

Are you sure you're actually running the game in SLI? Just because you have SLI enabled in your Nvidia contol panel, that doesn't mean it's actually being utilized.

#7 Caballo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 416 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 31 May 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

Are you sure you're actually running the game in SLI? Just because you have SLI enabled in your Nvidia contol panel, that doesn't mean it's actually being utilized.

Agree. I thought i was using SLI with MWO, until i set the "Show visual SLI indicator" on. It's simply not working. Using the workaround i got it on the move.

#8 Jonneh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:11 AM

Hm, this does seem to have worked. Well done.

Too much flickering and lighting strangeness to be usable though. Really need a fix to this from PGI.

Edited by Jonneh, 01 June 2013 - 02:16 AM.

#9 matux

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 584 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

I've tried using this and playing around but this only turns sli and uses both GPU's for me, it does not increase frame rate at all for me at least.

As with budor i also notice a drop in framerate when firing at mechs.

Maybe this is something to do with gt2xx cards, but didnt work on my 550ti's

Maybe the OP could export the profile and link it somewhere just to make sure.

#10 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

Well it enables both GPU's for me on my 2x GTX 550TI's..... but I only get like 15 fps constant, doesn't change. So it works, but i'm not sure what is wrong?

#11 matux

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

Trying anything but AFR2 will cause that i found, Its really disappointing that so many other games have sli, E.G Neverwinter went open beta 2 or so months ago and just had a profile added in the last 320.18 Driver update, how long has this game been in "open beta"

#12 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

since beginning of last year I believe.... and I think they are concentrating too much upgrading or downgrading of things. The devs have taken care of a good amount of the issues with the game, but things like SLI and upping performance with more mid-range machines like myself would be great.

I would love to play this game on something besides low/medium settings... it's funny because I can max out every settings on Hawken and get 50+FPS constant with the SLI enabled so I use two cards.... where-as with mechwarrior i'm stuck playing on low settings, and i'm running:

AMD FX-4100
8GB Ram
2x Geforce GTX 550Ti

Come on devs!

#13 Inconspicuous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

PGI, pleeeeease fix SLI problems.

#14 Grrzoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • 496 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostBudor, on 20 May 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

Tried and was in awe until i shot at something :)

Game runs at 110+ fps with this but everytime a laser connects to a target my fps halves for the duration making it feel like lag. During a regular match (non testing grounds) this makes it unplayable.

Tried all SLI rendering settings and 2 different driver versions (320.14 too). Really sad to go back because i had 100+ fps with high settings and a major firefight going on in upper city but the moment i shot and hit it lagged in that weird way :)

did you try setting v-sync to on?

#15 Caballo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

View PostGrrzoot, on 04 June 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

did you try setting v-sync to on?

I just did, same effect. In fact, looks like VSync is not working. 66.7 with and without it.

Also, the slowdown appears everytime ANYONE connects a laser to a target (Don't know if that's what you intended to say, Budor). It's odd. Happens with Flamers and pulse lasers too.

EDIT: Interesting. The glow and screen flickering went when i swapped SLI rendering mode To SLI_RENDERING_MODE_FORCE_AFR2. Still have the slowdown when a laser hits a mech tho. As the slowdown is gradual (the more time lasers hit the target, the slower it gets), i'm thinking about something in the damage-over-time weapons and the memory usage. Gotta monitor that...

Edited by Caballo, 05 June 2013 - 06:09 AM.

#16 crazyrob

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

I really hope this gets sorted out soon. I should be getting a 3rd gtx680 soon, would love to actually use more than one of them when playing at 5960x1080...

#17 Waxon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

Nvidia.  The way it was meant to be played?   :)

SLI Rendering Mode:
SLI_RENDERING_MODE_FORCE_AFR_OF_SFR__FALLBACK_3AFR
works pretty good, mostly because it disables SLI.

SLI_RENDERING_MODE_FORCE_AFR2
Gives me ghosting images.  Worse.

SLI_RENDERING_MODE_FORCE_AFR
Crazy terrible.

I am still looking with new eyes.

Edited by Waxon, 13 June 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#18 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

View Postcrazyrob, on 11 June 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

I really hope this gets sorted out soon. I should be getting a 3rd gtx680 soon, would love to actually use more than one of them when playing at 5960x1080...

Does this game have Surround support yet?

Also -- what the hell do you need a third 680 for? Benchmarker?

#19 Waxon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Miscenalleous
GB Tarkus: When can we expect to see SLI/Crossfire and TrackIR in game.
A: When our team has extra time.

#20 Dibster

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Just bumping this for justice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users