35 replies to this topic

#21 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostHayashi, on 25 May 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

You've forgotten the 180 degrees turn.

The idea is to JJ and move your legs while in midair to the entirely opposite direction when someone is chasing after you using about 30-40% of your JJ fuel, such that the moment you land you are facing them directly, then blast spacebar immediately after to jump over their head while shooting them as they pass below you.

Nobody expects moves like this, so it gives you a free full damage alpha on your pursuer's CT, generally can be done without taking any return fire from them, and when you land they're now not only 200-300 metres behind you, but also facing the complete wrong direction. This allows you to quickly disappear behind cover... it's very good for light vs light short duels - you'll want to lead him back to your main force if possible to stack the odds against your pursuer after this.

Hah, they really don't, and I do this all the time. Part of the reason I didn't mention it is because doing it wrong will cause severe leg damage and potentially instant death from incoming fire. But since I myself enjoy the tactic, I'll put up a cautionary entry.

#22 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

One annoying maneuver I find myself using (usually on Alpine) ...

When fighting larger mechs (or even non-JJ lights) while both of us are on higher ground ... when they're facing you with their back to a cliff, run past them, launch off the cliff, twist 180, hover only long enough to plant an alpha to their CT, then cut your jets and drop below the return salvo, twist another 90-ish prior to the landing ... standard JJ maneuver rules apply ... save some fuel for the landing, etc.

Works particularly well against mechs whose main armament is in the torso.

#23 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

along with the other stuff mentioned here, I like using JJs to get out of the range of motion of the limbs my opponents weapons are on (many mechs cant aim up high enough to hit you when you fly 74m into the air, and if they have weapons on the ct, even easier to do this)

also love it when im brawling a highlander and they jump up to high into the air to be able to shoot at me because they have terrible rang of motion in their arms and cant even see me while phract with its fighter pilot cockpit and super flexible arms (ok not really) just gets free shots on him, just a word of warning for those jjs equipped mechs with bad arm up and down rang of motion

Edited by Just wanna play, 27 May 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#24 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 27 May 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

doing it wrong will cause severe leg damage and potentially instant death from incoming fire.

Quoted for truth.

#25 zraven7

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

You forgot the "Wing Commander" turn.

This is named after the maneuver in Wing Commander where you would accelerate past your target, cut your thrust so you continue in your initial direction, and flip around facing them, in order to fire while kiting them.

You start the same as a 180, going forward, them jump-jetting while spinning your whole mech around to face your opponent. During this, however, you hammer the throttle entirely into reverse. You land, still running from your target, but facing them and in full reverse. Great for harrassing a heavy, dueling lights, or covering an open back panel.

#26 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

Anouther one I really enjoy in my Phract 3D is the 'needs-clever-name-leaning-towards-kidney-punch'.

Getting up a good turn of speed and then belting a 45 point Alpha into a flanked mechs back as you hit the jup jets. 9 times out of 10 they will turn around to see who shot them i or acclerate into a turn to avoid further damage; you'll generaly get a chance to see which as you run at their back. As the enemy is spinning or walking in a tight circle to shoot you, you're zooming directly over them and landing behind them(what would have been directly in front of them)... you now get another Alpha in their back and at this stage they are either dead or a hairs breath from it.

Got probably my most satisfing brawling kills like this. The "wow, I didn't even see you" comments are nice.

#27 zraven7

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostSam Slade, on 28 May 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

Anouther one I really enjoy in my Phract 3D is the 'needs-clever-name-leaning-towards-kidney-punch'.

Getting up a good turn of speed and then belting a 45 point Alpha into a flanked mechs back as you hit the jup jets. 9 times out of 10 they will turn around to see who shot them i or acclerate into a turn to avoid further damage; you'll generaly get a chance to see which as you run at their back. As the enemy is spinning or walking in a tight circle to shoot you, you're zooming directly over them and landing behind them(what would have been directly in front of them)... you now get another Alpha in their back and at this stage they are either dead or a hairs breath from it.

Got probably my most satisfing brawling kills like this. The "wow, I didn't even see you" comments are nice.

I'll do this on in my trebbies sometimes. Frustrates Atlas pilots to no ends.

#28 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Lots of good points being made. Updated a few entries, too!

#29 Guiwynn

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

I have looked through all of these and done some googling but i still find no mention of the "kamikaze" the landing of a jj'd mech ON TOP of another mech. Does anyone have any info on this?

#30 Adran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostGuiwynn, on 22 June 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

I have looked through all of these and done some googling but i still find no mention of the "kamikaze" the landing of a jj'd mech ON TOP of another mech. Does anyone have any info on this?

What do you mean by this? Are you talking about Death From Above? Where you land on another mech and kill it that way? Cause if you are, that's not possible in the game right now.

#31 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

This thread might want some notes about being pre JJ changes. A lot of the maneuvers are much more difficult to do now.

#32 LastPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

A good time to use the "flyover" is when you are facing a Catapult or Stalker head on. Their cockpits are much easier to hit from above, so if you fly over them, twist your arms down, and fire at the right moment, "BOOM" headshot.

#33 Oogalook

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 112 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostGong, on 19 May 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

I main a Spider 5-D with master pilot tree, MWO is seriously a whole other game with 8 - 12 JJ

nice guide, you covered everything i can really think of. i really like that you talked about using jump jets to make smoke screens its one of my favorite tactics

I second all of this, but the smokescreen idea is new to me.

The flying Spider is something I only recently started really using. Now, I can't be caught on the ground for more than a quarter of the match! The little guys have few advantages over, for example, a 3L, but nobody can fly like a spider.

My favorite tactic in the 5d is to charge at an opponent, discharge my weapons, and boost over his head while he takes aim to shoot me back. Often, he can't look high enough up to hit me in the air, and I get a shot at his back as I come down. I then lickity-split behind cover, and go distract something else 4 times my size.

Edited by Oogalook, 06 July 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#34 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostDodgerH2O, on 28 June 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

This thread might want some notes about being pre JJ changes. A lot of the maneuvers are much more difficult to do now.

Agreed. I'll be reviewing the material for suitablility, and adding a few additions. :3

#35 FrigginEH

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:36 AM

View PostStokes52, on 19 May 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

Something you forgot: JJs can DRASTICALLY increase your ground turning radius.

If you repeatedly and gently tap the spacebar while twisting your torso, the mech will barely lift off the ground, it will twist its torso slightly in the desired direction, and then land back on the ground, running in the direction of the twisting legs. You can effectively half your turn radius, GREATLY increasing both survivability and your ability to stay on target with that juicy rear armor, even when your enemy is torso twisting.

Basically this is what you do:
- To make a sharp left turn, hold down A and tap spacebar repeatedly.
- To make a sharp right turn, hold down D and tap spacebar repeatedly.

Try it, it's awesome - and infuriating to enemies.

hey has this changed at all? i was browsing through and now i'm trying to improve my light piloting skillz on my cheeter. it's an old post so i'm unsure if it was changed with the many updates since this post.

#36 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:53 AM

Nope .. still good but with laser vomit being the meta, not commonly used as much these days due to it being much easier to track a mid-air target with lasers.

Was more common when pinpoint front loaded damage was the meta.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users