238 replies to this topic

#21 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

You don't shoot on the way up, you shoot on the way down. So it will have no effect on "Poptarting" unless it is really exaggerated into the mech having unrealistic, long duration tremors.

The fix is to just have JJets push the mech forward 5 or 10 meters when used. That way you can still JJet and shoot, but you may come down in a new spot, so you can't really poptart easily.

As for me, I am not seeing JJet shooting as an effective tactic. When I see assaults doing it, the next thing I see is they got destroyed by concentrated return fire. I mean, heck if you can't hit a giant hovering robot, do you think you can hit one that is moving?

That will be the next Nerf, no shooting while moving because some players can't.

#22 Terror Teddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

I've never used JJ on my HM - weights too much as I can instead have 3LL and twin AC/5 for long/mid range fire support and be rather fast on my feet.

View PostLightfoot, on 19 May 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

The fix is to just have JJets push the mech forward 5 or 10 meters when used. That way you can still JJet and shoot, but you may come down in a new spot, so you can't really poptart easily.

THIS.

The point with JJ it's to jettisson your mech UP and FORWARD not to jump up and down. It's so you can move forward and clear an obstacle and land on the other side without breaking stride.

#23 Punkass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Dear OP
[deleted image]

Here's the precedence in SARNA that pop-tarting shouldn't exist.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Jump_Jets

Jump jets are for mobility, not being a sniper. You'll still be able to jump-jet and cockpit someone, just not at 800 meters. PPC stalkers are WAY more balanced in this game because they can't get behind cover very quickly. Seriously, do a quick reverse in one of those things, it doesn't work very well. So you have to commit to the shot. You just have to let go of space bar and let gravity do the work [redacted]

Edited by miSs, 19 May 2013 - 05:39 PM.
unconstructive

#24 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 19 May 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

This would actually make jump sniping even MORE easy to do, since anyone who is any good doesn't just pop directly up and down, as it makes it infinitely easier to hit them.

By making JJ's function as you suggest, it becomes trivial since you just turn your legs parallel with your cover, and the JJ's will give you a nice little arc to fire from.

#25 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

Eh, yeah. Seriously, I don't think this will impact poptarting much, and even if it does I'm unconcerned. I love my Heavy Metal - all my Highlanders, in fact - and I always use jump jets. Not for poptarting, but for maneuverability. In a mech like an Atlas, you only have a couple defined approach vectors. Once someone sees you, they know where you can go, and can use that against you.

The Highlander avoids that. In the water in River City? You can get out anywhere. You can go around buildings, or over them. Canyons in particular looks like a map that will really benefit from JJ's; Tourmaline does too. When you're in a slow assault, being able to attack someone directly over obstructions rather than around them can be quite valuable, it keeps the pressure on.

The Heavy Metal? With the PPC, boating, and jumping changes, I'd just move to large lasers and (S)SRM's. Probably keep the Gauss. Still very effective.

On a side note, IMHO taking Highlanders without JJ's is just silly. The Atlas has similar hardpoints, similar speed, but 10 more tons to play with. You don't need a lot - even a single jump jet allows a highlander to scale almost any terrain and vastly opens up it's options on the battlefield.

#26 trollocaustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

You miss the point, the stalkers are still gonna pop from the hill and pound you. Then you will be crying about that.

Because walking slowly is the same as jump jetting.

#27 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

It should only shake when the JJ is held down.

So that there is a narrow window durig free fall where the mech can still aim. It will mAke jump sniping significantly harder

#28 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Sometimes I wonder what the people who die first in pug matches think like in real life, and sometimes I wonder how people who can't comprehend 10 lines, and miss the point of a topic entirely play.

Today, it all makes sense.

View PostTerror Teddy, on 19 May 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

I've never used JJ on my HM - weights too much as I can instead have 3LL and twin AC/5 for long/mid range fire support and be rather fast on my feet.

THIS.

The point with JJ it's to jettisson your mech UP and FORWARD not to jump up and down. It's so you can move forward and clear an obstacle and land on the other side without breaking stride.

The suggestion is good in itself, but there are many, many players who move while jumping anyway. Although you are right, the players who Pop just because everyone else pops would stop doing it if it required minimal effort, thinking or concentration.

View PostRoland, on 19 May 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

Can you say when in the podcast it actually says something about this?

Because I can't bother sitting through that stuff just to hear one piece of useful info.

Its right above the link.

#29 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

I own a Heavy Metal.
I approve this change.

I own a set of Jenners.
I approve this affecting larger mechs more.

PS. Poptarts drove me away from this game, hallelujah for changes.

#30 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Playing as Sniper in TF2, you can't be scoped in and airborne at the same time. It automatically zooms out if you jump or get launched by an explosion.

Please don't kill me for suggesting something from a twitch shooter.

#31 Stone Profit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant Colonel
  • Leftenant Colonel
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostChavette, on 19 May 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

snip

Cockpit shake IS NOT rng. less qq, more l2play.

#32 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostStone Profit, on 19 May 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

Are you kidding me? Did you listen to the podcast? Its not just visual.

#33 Stone Profit

• Leftenant Colonel
  • Leftenant Colonel
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostChavette, on 19 May 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

Are you kidding me? Did you listen to the podcast? Its not just visual.

View PostStone Profit, on 19 May 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

#34 w0rm

• Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

I welcome the challenge of added JJ shake.

#35 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

The fast 3D poptart is a mech that requires a lot of concentration to run effectively. It's very fragile, you need to hit with every shot and you need to be constantly using cover and maneuvering. It is definately not a no skill mech. Very much in line with running and fighting with a light mech. Very exhausting to run few hours of 8-mans in.

Edited by Edustaja, 19 May 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#36 Ralgas

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

I've never used heavy metal as a poptart, and don't intend to start now.the laser arm with triple Llas is far more effective for only one ton extra till they nerf boating.

#37 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

View PostEdustaja, on 19 May 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

The fast 3D poptart is a mech that requires a lot of concentration to run effectively. It's very fragile, you need to hit with every shot and you need to be constantly using cover and maneuvering. It is definately not a no skill mech. Very much in line with running and fighting with a light mech. Very exhausting to run few hours of 8-mans in.

That is correct, after a few minutes, you will get the urge to just walk in and mow em all, and after a few matches, its very hard to keep on cover when the fight starts.

But here, we are talking to people who 1, can't understand a sentence a dev said: "...it will throw off your aim..." and 2, can't comprehend its a thread about a chassis and not a weapon or play style.

#38 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostChavette, on 19 May 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

They didn't drive me away, I simply pop better than them... What are you gonna run on the HM?

Same thing I've been running.
I do not poptart. My HM has the best record of any of my highlanders, mainly because I piloted it back before snipefest '13.

Say what you will, but your response to their tactic is: do the same thing, only better.
That kind of "balance" makes for a stale game. It should be feasible to use other tactics and weapons.

Edited by One Medic Army, 19 May 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#39 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

Very specific role?

Yes, blaring rock music when you get kills. That's the very specific role.

The **** are you on about this and that for?

#40 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

I don't know I just found it in the mechbay after a month, and I realized I just might have no reason to love her after this patch...

My last post might of sounded like a troll, but its not, anyone can poptart, but its not easy to poptart well.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users