Check Fire, Check Fire!

26 replies to this topic

#1 Yanlowen Cage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:01 AM

If at any time you see me standing between you and your target, please don't alpha me in the back thinking that either your shoots will mysteriously warp around me and hit or core me out and then hit the enemy. In response to that I will try my best not to get in your line of fire. heck I will even try my best to move out the way and let you have at. Because when you do stuff like that I get irate and sometimes will you shoot you back or leg you. Sorry I have a temper and getting shot by me own team mates is just one of those buttons, ya know.

#2 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

Use ur mini map. If u r between the target and ur team ur gonna get hit. That KDR stat makes u invisible if ur in the line of fire.

#3 ZedekiahCromwell

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

95% of the time that I hit friendlies is when I'm zoomed in and draw a bead and they walk from the side in front of one of my arms. Due to no peripheral vision, I don't know to not pull the trigger.

#4 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

Ive been alpha'd in the back by splatcats before because they get so enthusiastic. Especially with so much ECM around (although this problem has been solved) when you can't see any friendly's on the minimap you can't always avoid their firing line.

#5 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Sometimes the enemy target designator and a friendly overlap. So you think you're firing at an enemy only to discover to your horror after pulling the trigger that there was a friendly in the way.

If you deliberately retaliate against your team for them making simple honest mistakes than that is worse.

#6 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostZedekiahCromwell, on 22 May 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

95% of the time that I hit friendlies is when I'm zoomed in and draw a bead and they walk from the side in front of one of my arms. Due to no peripheral vision, I don't know to not pull the trigger.

My experience is much the same but...

...far too many morons set themselves up to either hit friendlies or get hit by them i.e. shooters positioning themselves on one side of a choke point and firing across it leaving friendlies the choice of going in front or taking a major detour, people running in front of friendlies in the open who are firing instead of taking a quarter of a second longer to pass behind....etc.

#7 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

High speed manuever brawls in an area with a rough radius of 200 meters or less.

Friendly fire is going to happen. It is inevitable.

This is why competent armor formations are in, well, formations. You know where your friendlies are, if you see anything else moving, you shoot at it. Even with modern equipment today, we still have FF incidents in units comprised of trained soldiers. Your in a video game full of amateurs.

Edited by Kommisar, 22 May 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#8 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

I understand your frustration and agree that some people need to be more careful.

BUT:

If you`re intentionally shooting at people that accidentally TA you, especially when you are doing it in such a fashion as to leg a teammate, you`re most definitely not being part of the solution. You`re part of the problem and deserve to be punished for intentionally violating the ToS just like very other ****** that attacks his teammates on purpose.

Maybe your team should just leg you at the start and save themselves the headache of having to play an entire match with you... I`D rather be down 1 man than have a mentally instable pilot on the team that could attack anything at any time.

Edited by Zerberus, 22 May 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#9 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostYanlowen Cage, on 22 May 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

If at any time you see me standing between you and your target, please don't alpha me in the back thinking that either your shoots will mysteriously warp around me and hit or core me out and then hit the enemy. In response to that I will try my best not to get in your line of fire. heck I will even try my best to move out the way and let you have at. Because when you do stuff like that I get irate and sometimes will you shoot you back or leg you. Sorry I have a temper and getting shot by me own team mates is just one of those buttons, ya know.

#10 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

It happens, I will often do my best to check fire when I can see my team is very near me so that I don't hit my team, much easier with the HUD working.

And if I get shot in the back, I will turn to look for follow-up shots as I scan for red triangles, and then if its FF, I will ignore it and focus on the nearest and deadliest enemy or one caught away from the rest of the enemy team.

It's really not worth it for me to bother about FF anymore, if I get really damaged and/or die as a result, so what? It's only one more death to my tally or whatever. There's always the next match.

#11 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:25 AM

Generally unless I'm the one of the slowest on the team I stay on the flanks so I won't have any teammates directly behind me, and I'll move around friendlies if they get in my way. At any choke point I will be the guy in the back and as far to the side as I can reasonably manage unless I'm boating SRMs. I don't let teammates I've never played with before stay behind me because you can never be sure what they'll hit if they start shooting. Of course when the circling starts you just have to take your chances. Plenty of opportunities to shoot mechs without hitting teammates.

#12 Nutlink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMountain Man!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

FF happens once in a while, but far too many people just don't bother trying to avoid it.

#13 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

In a furball, I know that I have accidentally stepped in front of a friendly's line of fire, and sometimes I get hit by FF because of it. But that was MY fault, and the price I paid for my lapse in situational awareness. Conversely, I have had friendlies step in front of MY line of fire. I do my best not to shoot them, but sometimes it is unavoidable. It is just part of the game.

The only ones I ever really get irritated with are the LRM boats firing at squirrels when I am acting as the spotter. Many times those LRMs and their splash hit me due to their light engaging me at close range. Even then, it is the risk I took.

#14 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

TO OP: What you just did is called griping. This is not useful. What I am about to do is called "not acting like an emoraging ftard". The difference is astonishing... here watch...

Sometimes during matches especially low visibility ones I find myself shooting a friendly by accident. Sometimes I find during furballs that I have accidently stepped into friendly fire. I propose the following HUD change to help solve this issue.

Please flash a translucent blue square over what would be a friendies targeting box if I am hitting them with direct fire weapons. Please also flash my entire HUD twice with translucent blue to let me know that I am being hit with Friendly-Fire.

Please do not do either of the above in Splash Damage situations as there is really nothing I can do in either scenario. Either I am face hugging the Enemy (intentionally or not) or I am too far away/low visibility to really be clear that splash damage could be occurring.

#15 o8oo Anarch

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

I've got no real problem with a bit of FF, it happens as explained better than I probably could above.

Slightly off topic but related I feel-

I dropped in a PUG earlier this week in my Treb and almost immediately took FF. Annoying when folks discharge in the drop zone but it happens, so I begin my advance. Only I continue to take fire as a friendly Jenner zooms past me, lasers blazing. '*****' I thought to myself and on I went. The friendly Jenner then turns around and begins a 2nd attack run on me, all lasers blazing. This guy is actively trying to FF me.

Realizing that this is no ordinary FF I throw a "Dude wtf?" in team chat. He comes back for the next attack run and opens fire, this time I return a blast from my MLs in hope of driving him off, but it is only momentary and then back he comes again on another attack run. I asked again "why r u attacking me?" with still no response. We then began to openly exchange fire until my client not too long after decided to crash :P

Here I feel I was justified in returning FF. But what did it ultimately achieve? I earned no cash/xp and my team was already damaged and down 1 mech even if my client hadn't crashed.

#16 trollocaustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

There's stupid and then there's literally running into a laser while it's already firing.

It's happened.

#17 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

#18 Yanlowen Cage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:42 AM

I understand what you are all saying. But what I am referring to are those people , and you have seen them, that do not care that you are there. They are just kill stealing, which I don't care about. They are so eager to get the kill they will fire thru you trying to get the kill shot. Normal FF will happen. But these guys will fire thru you repeatedly to try and kill that mech.

#19 o8oo Anarch

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

View PostYanlowen Cage, on 24 May 2013 - 04:42 AM, said:

I understand what you are all saying. But what I am referring to are those people , and you have seen them, that do not care that you are there. They are just kill stealing, which I don't care about. They are so eager to get the kill they will fire thru you trying to get the kill shot. Normal FF will happen. But these guys will fire thru you repeatedly to try and kill that mech.

Quite simply, they don't care. With no FF penalty as far as I can tell they may as well fire through you because what little damage does get past pays more than holding fire.

#20 ValdnadHartagga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationBehind enemy lines

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

You have to remember that most gamers aren't trained in shooting tactics, so shooter etiquette and proper movement/positioning techniques go out the window most of the time (even with premades, unless there is a proper tactician among them)

To help teach players about friendly fire, I think a "damaged caused to friendlies" stat should be included at the end of the match and "damage by friendlies" with the death screen. Ideally both should read 0, but it gives (responsible) players an indication that they should try to shoot more carefully, or that they tend to cross into friendly fire. This in turn is applied to a "friendly fire quota."

I think there should be a penalty for friendly damage, not just team killing, and when accumulated it should lead to punishment, i.e., when your friendly fire damage reaches X amount within y amount of time, a kill is deducted from your record (for example) - FF would be forgiven over time so innocent players don't get burned (unless they are particularly bad shots, in which case it may be a wake-up call to spend time in the Training Grounds).

With this system, all-or-nothing KDR players would be forced to monitor their "friendly fire quota," though the worst of them will simply allow for acceptable losses, which could perhaps be deterred further by stipulating that, for z number of kills caused by regularly exceeding friendly fire quota, player is automatically referred to administrative judgment by PGI who would review the case as if it were a community-reported TKer (so the really bad players who are just terrible shots have a safety net).

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users