Thank You Pgi For The Best Balance Patch Since Early Closed Beta!

41 replies to this topic

#21 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostAdrian Steel, on 22 May 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

I love how you're flushing the tards into the open WolvesX.

When will they realize they're just robots playing with robots?

Keep posting, playing and paying you zombies.

So you don't play anymore?

#22 Adrian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 22 May 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

So you don't play anymore?

Just long enough to lurmpocalypse people's game clients into their recycle bins.

#23 Svalfangr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 22 May 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

When can I have an Awesome that's Awesome :)

It was so awesome they named it Awesome.

I think the name implies the actual meaning not the slang :(

#24 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostWolvesX, on 22 May 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

#PS: Boating is fine, look at: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Nova

Now tell me that boating isn't canon.

Someone doesn't get it.

But coming from a teamshooter, I don't expect much :(

#25 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

I like this patch from ALL others before.

Hunted down 2 RVN-3Ls with my A1. Feels good, brah.

#26 Jack Lowe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationStaten Island, NY

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

It's a overall good patch IMO. Yep they got a couple things to hammer out with LRM's yet they mentioned those in the recent CC. So far I feel like the changes have made them more viable and opened the game back up in a tactical sense. I've seen quite a bit more variety in the tactics used in the matches I've played thus far. Wouldn't mind if the LRM's spread a little more with range. Everything else seems good like it's coming into a nice balance. Only played the new map a handful of times still getting used to all the little valleys but I'm liking it a lot as well. Overall a nice improvement and step forward. It's been said but I'll put it out there as well if PGI would have announced they needed to delay the patch a day or so to get splash damage and the arcs fixed I don't think they would have gotten anything worse than the usual trolls. I also think they would have had a good bit of support and understanding. They chose to push it thru and wait on the rest. I ain't complaining, just saying.

#27 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

Look, boating isn't the issue. It's multiple weapon systems hitting a single point in space. It's that pin point convergence that makes boating multiples of the same weapon good, not the act of actually boating multiple weapons.

#28 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Aside from LRMs being fixed a little, I like this patch too.

#29 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

I don't think you're paying attention to the discussion that is going on. Very few people are complaining that boating isn't canon. Whether it's canon has nothing to do with it. Do you think people who aren't hardcore Battletech fans care if this game conforms to some tabletop game from the 1980's?

The problem is that boating is so effective that it makes all other builds inferior. This, in turn, kills the variety in the game. Is the Nova mech laser-boat supposed to be the best mech in the Battletech universe? No. It's supposed to be a viable option, but not really superior to more balanced weapon loadouts.

The variety is the important issue here. Letting people play with different mechs in different ways. That's why people don't like any single FOTM to be too effective, because brawlers wanna brawl and snipers wanna snipe. They don't want to be forced to play a Stalker LRM boat in order to be competitive. I'm not saying they do, I'm just saying you're using a strawman argument, arguing against a position that no one is defending.

#30 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

View PostDie Primate Die, on 22 May 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

Try pugging solo in the newer player bracket against LRM / Poptart / Scout premades and come back and tell me how awesome all this is.

I did, and it is still awesome :(

#31 Farpenoodle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

It's a really nice patch apart from Seismic and LRMs being too good right now. Once missile splash gets fixed and the LRM firing arc gets tuned we'll be in a really nice place balance wise I think.

#32 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

Maybe it's just where my ELO is at, but I've been in more good, dynamic games in the last day than in the last month.

LRM's being viable means mechs are diversifying loadouts, ams is highly useful, terrain is being used to close to knife range instead of ridge hump, and I've seen more mediums out and about today than in months. All of these are good things.

I agree LRM's need some splash taken off the top... they're doing too much damage to CT by a little bit.
I actually like the arc on the LRM's with a spotter, I hope they don't nerf it too hard, and without a spotter it's fine.
They already know that artemis is stacking on indirect fire... which it shouldn't.
SRM's need some love.
SSRM's are broken vs. small frame mechs, as predicted by the BAP update and too high of splash.... again lowering splash will help alleviate this.

While there are problems, this is easily the best update in months. It's changed the meta, made the game amusing by allowing multiple and varied builds viable again. Oh and Canyon is a blast so far... excellent mix of long and short range options.

#33 InRev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

You know, I've been quite the Debbie Downer lately but, all things considered I enjoy this patch.

Yes LRMs are a bit silly at the moment but I kinda like it, not because I play an LRM boat (not going to lie, I tried and failed. For whatever reason I am just terrible with LRMs even when they are "op") but rather because there is 3 times as much mech variety now.

You still have poptarts and PPC alpha boaters, but now you have LRM boaters and streak boaters as well. Yes, they're all boaters but they're different kinds of boaters, and I'll take that kind of variation in boating any day of the week over monotony.

All in all, it's pretty fun! I just wish my X-5 had an AMS hardpoint :-\

#34 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:27 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 22 May 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

I don't think you're paying attention to the discussion that is going on. Very few people are complaining that boating isn't canon. Whether it's canon has nothing to do with it. Do you think people who aren't hardcore Battletech fans care if this game conforms to some tabletop game from the 1980's?

The problem is that boating is so effective that it makes all other builds inferior. This, in turn, kills the variety in the game. Is the Nova mech laser-boat supposed to be the best mech in the Battletech universe? No. It's supposed to be a viable option, but not really superior to more balanced weapon loadouts.

The variety is the important issue here. Letting people play with different mechs in different ways. That's why people don't like any single FOTM to be too effective, because brawlers wanna brawl and snipers wanna snipe. They don't want to be forced to play a Stalker LRM boat in order to be competitive. I'm not saying they do, I'm just saying you're using a strawman argument, arguing against a position that no one is defending.

I have discussed this with my unit / clan mates a lot.

Brawlers should be able to brawl.

Snipers to snipe.

Supporters to support.

But, If I play a lets say my supporter, STK-3F LRM60A 4 ML TAG, this build is optimized to support my mates, its range optimized. As my AC40 Jages is short range optimized.

I don't hate on "boats", because you can counter them as easy as they are good in a spesific role.

When I drop 8v8 against my unit members and everyone knows how to pilot, aim, hide, flank, counter, focusfire, targeting, map tactics etc. no one is complaining about boating, because its part of the game, of any game.

LoL for example: AD DDs have literaly no armor, but massive ranged firepower. Tanks are often only HP and armor. Supporters don't even have ONE damage item, because all are optimized.

If you don't optimize your build, like my 2xAC5 4XSSRM BAP 250STD, ENDO, FERRO Jager, I know that I'm going to lose a brawl against an equaly good player AND that I'm losing against a dedicated ranged mech. This build is only semi-viable, because I almost only play in a lance, which covers other things.

Should mixed builds be viable, I think yes.

Should boating be viable, I think yes.

I know that I'm not in line with the opinion of many others in the community, as my original post was, but I think its good to post personal opinion, I like to read what others think about this game, because I'm interessted in this game and in its community.

I'm going to PUG a bit now, lets see how that works out.

#35 jeffsw6

• 1,258 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY (suburbs)

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

But this patch, wow!

Excellent troll.

I am surprised you didn't claim to be doing 1300 damage with LB 10-X. Considering its still-ridiculously-large spread, that should be enough to defeat one enemy, right?

#36 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

View PostLordBraxton, on 22 May 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

Saw wolvesX earlier today in game, he was part of a lance sitting in the middle of canyon. 4 mechs with LRMs.

loeleoeleoleoeleoeleoel

I hope you are joking, LRMs are so hardcore broken even the devs realized it immediately.

Enjoy your crutch, expect nerfs.

It's so balanced the entire premade boat LRMS, interesting

Edited by armyof1, 23 May 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#37 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

View Postjeffsw6, on 22 May 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

Excellent troll.

I am surprised you didn't claim to be doing 1300 damage with LB 10-X. Considering its still-ridiculously-large spread, that should be enough to defeat one enemy, right?

LBX still needs more damage imo, but spead reduce was a good first stop.

View Postarmyof1, on 23 May 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

It's so balanced the entire premade boat LRMS, interesting

No, we use brawlers (DDC), scouts (L3) and STKLRM. (sometimes AC40 jager spam)

#38 rustyk

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

I agree with the OP, thanks PGI, great job and well done.

There's still work to be done and there will always be people that are unhappy no matter what changes you make, but this is the best patch for a long time and the new map is great.

Everyone has an opinion on balance, but for me you've made the game feel fresh again and I'm really enjoying it.

#39 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:58 AM

View PostMuKen, on 22 May 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

Community: ECM needs a real counter

PGI: Nah, ECM is about where we want it to be

PGI: Nah, ECM is about where we want it to be

PGI: *tries adding an ECM counter, ECM balance is better than ever*

Hey whaddaya know, listening to the community is good.

Meh.

ECM should been programmed to be what it is supposed to be. Then there wouldn't been any need for every weapon or every equipment or module suddenly being a counter.

ECM is not a weapon denial tool, except vs. a NARC beacon, and a NARC is missing 75% of its true purpose. So where are we at now? Counters here, counters there, all for Weapon Denial Warfare. There is no Information Warfare, nothing at all close the spirit of Battle Tech infowarfare. I want to like this game, the Mech Lab is done beautifully (hats off to the Devs), but the gameplay and balance direction leaves a lot to be desired.

#40 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:00 AM

View PostMawai, on 22 May 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

1) LRMs are broken (arc and splash)
2) SSRMs are broken again (probably splash and damage focus on CT and effect of BAP) ... a recent match I was in had a BAP equipped 6xSSRM2 catapult doing 725 damage and wasting mechs left right and center ... all of my SSRM equipped mechs are too effective ... they didn't fix SSRM when they implemented ECM and they still haven't fixed SSRM when re-designing BAP.
3) Seismic Sensor is so great ... it is hard to picture a better module = OP (very cool though)

4) The new map actually is very nice .. I like it much better than Alpine or Tourmaline

So, I would say they are batting 1/4 on the recent patch ... the "surprise" being that all of these would be easy to see in a few matches of testing ... either the testers run specific builds (which they should not be doing if they actually want to test) or there just aren't enough folks testing the builds ... either way something really needs to change in their development process.

i.e. test server, additional testers, scripted testing, regression testing

plus some additional design on features like BAP/ECM/LRM/SSRM/SRM/TAG/NARC

Hooray for some common sense. I honestly agree with all points of this.

View PostLordBraxton, on 22 May 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

They should have added the BAP changes and left LRMs EXACTLY how they were, then worked from there.

You don't buff

Speed
Damage
Arc
Targeting
Information Warfare

All in one patch for one weapon system.

Change one at a time to make sure you don;t break the game.

Well guess what, they broke the game.

Once again, common sense. Too many changes at once is going to make it hard to track down the actual problem. If they would schedule patches every week that build on each other it makes it much easier to identify issues.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users