Sword and Feather: Usage and Importance of Sensoric Equipment?

26 replies to this topic

Poll: Sword and Feather: Usage and Importance of Sensoric Equipment? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

What importance do you grant "secondary equipent"?

1. I would throw out some weapons and replace them with sensoric equipment! (32 votes [72.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

2. They are important but I would just intall basic sensoric equipment. (12 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

3. Laz0rs all the way! Killing is my goal! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

Hi there!

I think adding more importance to "secondary" features like IFF or ECM and whatever its called could be interesting. Not just as a passive feature but rather a actually actively usable feature on the battlefield.

Could spice things up... not just making a cross and having passive attributes. For example the spy drone we saw in the trailers.

On the other hand I hope they keep stuff like BattleMech-Tasers out of the game. Thats rubbish. But giving the player the ability to actually play around with sensors would also give smaller and faster mechs a real chance.

Edited by Brixx, 03 November 2011 - 05:42 AM.

#2 Youngblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationGMT -6

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

It would also give Scouts actual use in "destroy the other team" matches. You can't flush 'Mechs out of hiding unless you know where they are.

#3 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, my thought exactly! Just adding more importance to the "feather" component to let the "sword" strike better. A newer graphic engine could add up to this. You know... dust storms. Magnetic interferences in big cities. Snowstorms/Fog... you know what I mean I guess.

#4 Youngblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationGMT -6

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

That way you can hide an Atlas in a cloud of debris and ambush a Warhammer with it like in the 2009 video!

#5 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

What are your ideas on scouting equipment? Any ideas?

Edited by brixx, 02 November 2011 - 09:36 AM.

#6 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:39 AM

Sorry for pushing my own thread. But there is a lot of talk about weapons, armor and shields and various topics on how to kill and do damage. But imho we also should talk about non lethal warfare equipment. If I missed a topic about this... feel free to curse me and hit me with a shovel. :)

#7 godmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland/Sweden

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:44 AM

*looks around for his showel*

umm...

No i think this is a valid point. We need more of the EW stuff in this game. In the previous incarnations it has been pretty much on the sidelines. What about fighter style chaff for your mech to loose that annoying missile lock?
Different modes and use for the radar active, passive, scanning manually and whatnot

fighting mechs that run hot (clanners anyone?) switching your targeting over to IR to see them better. Getting IR guided LRM's for the same reason etc.

i think there are lots of ways to work with this one and it's going to be interesting to see how they implement it

Oh and Brixx what do you drive? saw your sig and wondered what kind of wheels you prefer irl? i gots meself an impreza sti -06 :) driving is fun fun fun

#8 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:48 AM

View Postgodmonkey, on 03 November 2011 - 05:44 AM, said:

*looks around for his showel*

umm...

No i think this is a valid point. We need more of the EW stuff in this game. In the previous incarnations it has been pretty much on the sidelines. What about fighter style chaff for your mech to loose that annoying missile lock?
Different modes and use for the radar active, passive, scanning manually and whatnot

fighting mechs that run hot (clanners anyone?) switching your targeting over to IR to see them better. Getting IR guided LRM's for the same reason etc.

i think there are lots of ways to work with this one and it's going to be interesting to see how they implement it

Oh and Brixx what do you drive? saw your sig and wondered what kind of wheels you prefer irl? i gots meself an impreza sti -06 :) driving is fun fun fun

Two step answer. At first: Considering your on topic stuff... we think alike. Exactly my thoughts. :D
Second: This really did hurt. :D I am a passionate driver and even had some real racing... sadly only in the Dacia Logan Cup. But as I go to university I do not really have a lot of money. So I got myself a Renault Twingo RS... but not the Gordini one... just the normal RS because I could get the Cup suspension there. 133hp out of 1.6 liter engine... just enough considering the weight of the car is only about 1000kg. Does 0-62 in about 8.4 seconds and top speed is 201km/h. But the suspension is really good and really made for the lonely countryside roads I drive on every day. :D

Edited by Brixx, 03 November 2011 - 05:50 AM.

#9 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:55 AM

If all turns out as it sounds, we'll end up brains over muscles.

So, yeah - make battles smarter - get those black boxes in!

#10 godmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland/Sweden

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:58 AM

OT

brixx: i live on the countryside too so the STi is used. hard. all the time :) I do some racing as well mainly a cheap version of rallycross

#11 Paladyne

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationAndurien

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:01 AM

dont forget the almighty hammer of all scouts in 3049 the TAG gear to call in the rain upon the big nasties chasing the poor likke raven :) that would be a great way to bring in the lights!

#12 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:02 AM

It would be nice having an expanded suite of sensor data. I always did like the inclusion of the Artemis, ECM, BAP, MASC, AMS/LAMS, and the NARC, but I felt like C3 was never done right in a mech game. I like that above idea for a thermal mode, even if it's limited to a small MFD on the mech's console. Deploy-able sensor probes would be rather nice, as well, in an urban setting. Drop 'em in a street, sync em up with your C3, and use it to broadcast radar information like a radar station to the rest of your lance.

#13 Program 024

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 208 posts
  • LocationPlying the void between stars

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:15 AM

The devs did say that information warfare will play a role in this game. I think having the scouts do their thing with being as recon and spotters for the rest of the lance would create a synergy that would promote light mech play. Even though I am relatively new to this game, I've noticed that more people lean towards medium and heavy mechs.

#14 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:16 AM

Information is your friend on the Battlefield and it is rare to have to much. Bring on the Sensor Suites in full force. If one cannot handle the Data stream then just leave them off. :)

#15 godmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFinland/Sweden

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:16 AM

well in the TT there are many different sensor modes on a mech as stock. Visible light, Lowlight, IR, seismic, radar etc would be fun to be able to use all of them since some of them are passive (like seismic) working better the heavier the mech you are tracking is so one could conceivably be on passive sensor with minimal reactor output laying in ambush waiting for the seismic blips to close in from the Lyran Scouting lance and firing up your reactor in juust the right moment to get them in your crosshairs and pull the trigger.....

#16 Shepherd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:36 AM

As a dedicated scout this is all very important to me. Information is ammunition, as they say. My proudest moments in MW4 were when I was able to keep track of the enemy team and relay the information to my drop commander so he could form a viable plan to counter the enemy. I look forward to actually having the tools to do this in MWO!

ECM - a must, a scout who's seen is a scout crawling with enemy mediums. Bad news.
BAP - a must, a scout who can't see is a scout who's not doing anything
IFF - depending on how they do IFF, this could be big or not big. In a wide open map that has no radar contacts at all besides allies and enemies, IFF has only marginal utility, as a neutral contact is obviously an enemy running IFF. So I reserve judgement.

As far as the IR, seismic, etc, we'll see if any of that makes it in. My opinion in general, though, is that a scout's role is to See, Say and Survive. So you need sensors to see, coms to say, and speed to survivie. All else is secondary.

#17 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

EW would be a great addition, especially if, as some stated, it was more active and less passive. In previous games i never really felt like any of it worked.
drones would be great, as would a whole suite of other sensors.
Light mech running interference and broadcasting information whilst avoiding fire. I could get in on that. Maybe even a heavier mech that had an AWACS type of role...though I'm possibly going to far with that.
Electronics should be a viable way to play the game, though there would have to be a system in order to accrue XP or whatever beyond simply getting kills.

#18 Grimjax

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:25 AM

I really hope they realize just how much alot of us want EW enhanced in this game. Ravens with their EW suites, Command mechs with the CC computers, all of this would be a dream to play, but maybe a nightmare to program. We can always hope!

#19 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:19 AM

View PostGrimjax, on 03 November 2011 - 07:25 AM, said:

I really hope they realize just how much alot of us want EW enhanced in this game. Ravens with their EW suites, Command mechs with the CC computers, all of this would be a dream to play, but maybe a nightmare to program. We can always hope!

Yes. Because this would make this game a little more unique concerning gameplay aswell. Not just shooting, but at least a little bit of thinking. Especially as this universe already has those features... they just need to be implemented properly. :)

#20 TheRulesLawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

I really hope EW is useful in the game. It'll make scouts and certain variants much more useful. Kinda like double blind TT battletech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users