645 replies to this topic

#341 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

Agree. One word of commitment couldn't hurt, PGI. I understand this might sound like the community, or a loud minority of it, is pressuring you into doing something you might not want to do or have the resources to do, but this is quite a unique situation and I think it would be nice at this point if you said anything about it.

Sure, I know that whatever you will do (or won't do) will get you criticism anyway. Like, if you do a 'mech someone will complain it's too much and what about other people that have, had, or will have something happening to them in the future? If you do a little cockpit item someone will complain that it's not enough and offensive to Sarah, and if you do a paintjob someone will complain (loudly, complaints are always loud) that it's a bad paintjob or it's an overpowered paintjob or that the charity you picked for the revenues is not the right one.

I really think it's hard to be in the position you are right now, PGI people, with everyone so in love with Mechwarrior that they feel entitled to bash on you no matter what you do.

But this is a little beyond all that.

This is about you doing one very little thing that will probably make so many people feel better, and for once it has nothing to do with game balance.

Again, I hate the idea of pressuring you into anything, but I have to be honest with myself and say that I've been pretty disappointed for the lack of official feedback on this, and I would be really disappointed if nothing came out of it.

I won't quit the game. I won't insult you.
But please, give this a thought, and share it with us.

Thank you.

#342 Hazar Kath

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts
  • LocationEST

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

View Postdr cyanide, on 23 May 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Dev's It's been a long time since I posted around here... and to copy and past my earlier sentiments from Face book:

Wesley Norman Clark: MWO, Piranha Games... do the girl a service so we will all remember her... make Hero Jenna, name it after her, donate the proceeds to the cancer association.

Here, Here. I would definitely buy one just for the cause.

#343 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostMutaroc, on 31 May 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

- How is it possible that she "loved to use a Jenner-D to lock missiles" and the picture on the main thread shows a Raven!!!

Well, a Raven is much more photogenic (at least in my opinion), but that's pretty picky considering the reason for the thread.
If Sarah played a Jenner, the hero mech (or cockpit statue or whatever) should darn well be a Jenner.

I would like to see more of a response from PGI, myself. Maybe they're just taking their time to decide on the appropriate response, as they seem to do on many things.

If they (like a previous poster or two) think it would somehow be in poor taste, they could say so and explain themselves, and find an alternate way to raise money for cancer research.
I think their relative silence is odd considering how much they've responded to things like, "CTF hed hitbox is two big! Nerf LRMs! Nerf PPCs! Bring Back LRMs! Nerf LRMs!"
Honoring this child who played among us, and especially raising money for childrens' cancer research, seem much more important than nerfing my PPCs.

#344 Sealord

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

R.I.P Sarah
May you never be forgotten.
Please make a hero Jenner and transfer the money to a cancer research organisation, so that in the future no living being has to die from cancer anymore.

Edited by Sealord, 31 May 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#345 Zathul

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

Man that must be incredibly hard for a parent, unfortunately I'm a bit young to understand from a parent's perspective but it's still extremely sad none the less. R.I.P. Sarah. And I think that hero mech would be an amazing idea, I'd buy one in a heartbeat

#346 Krigherren

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 94 posts
  • LocationProbably sleeping in my mech.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

Was not expecting to shed a tear today.. Fair well on your journey, Sarah.

#347 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

A few people from PGI and IGP wrote to say that they supported the idea and loved it. I have a feeling that the reason that we have not seen anything confirming the idea from them is because they are going to have to walk a fine line to prevent hurting the family and friends of Sarah further, and possibly alienating part of MWOs fans base. If we do see something, it will not be for many months. The fact that this thread was created (by Niko Snow) and how much support that it has received absolutely blows my mind. I have never seen a gaming community this close and caring before and it breaks my heart to know that she is not around to see what she has done.

#348 Winterdyne

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 32 posts

This is a community with many, many parents in it. As such this has touched a chord with many of us. I'd definitely buy a Jenner for this.

#349 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

My condolences to Sarah's family and friends.

View PostNiko Snow, on 23 May 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

In loving memory, Sarah's family and all of us here at MechWarrior Online kindly ask that you consider donating to your local Cancer Society or visit Cancer.ca to donate today.

This is their official response, taken directly from the OP. There is no need for further response from them.

For my part, I don't think adding a 'Mech into this game for anyone is a good idea. There may be some looming legal issues as well. Donating directly to the Cancer Society or via the link they gave is the best idea.

#350 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostDerSpecht, on 30 May 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

The mech you make will make people who dont even know about these forum say and write things like " OMG i just alphad a Sarah noob wolololol" Is this how you want to make people remember her? This whole idea is just gross..

What a sad, sad person you are. :(

#351 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostInappropriate787649, on 30 May 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

Its not a very large article. but I pored over every page of this and other threads on the subject looking for updates. It has a lot of links to here and the charity websites, the video by those German fellas, and if its alright, used one of Noesis' images for the main image- linking it to the particular post in which he published it. Its still in the queue awaiting review.

My offer for the drawing still stands, but only at behest of the parents. I also just purchased a custom Jenner mini that I will be painting up as a commemorative for her too. I'll post a thread when its all done.

It was a small message, maybe the DEVs here could give you some info if you contact them direct. So you can get permission for your art work.

#352 mechbane

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 99 posts
  • Locationlondon

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

View Postdr cyanide, on 23 May 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Dev's It's been a long time since I posted around here... and to copy and past my earlier sentiments from Face book:

Wesley Norman Clark: MWO, Piranha Games... do the girl a service so we will all remember her... make Hero Jenna, name it after her, donate the proceeds to the cancer association.
To end:

Fare Thee Well MechWarrior

MechWarrior, cling thee not to this world,
For it holds no more for you.
But Listen! Listen for the song from afar,
And heed the lilting call of the land that awaits.

Let your final breath slip from your pierced chest,
And your broken hands fall from the stick.
Bend your bloodied brow to this life,
And let tumble the shattered helm that once cradled your head.

Leave behind these acrid smokes of the fields,
These swirling battlegrounds of charred metal, bone and flesh.
Depart from the flashing fires that filled your eyes with destruction,
And abandon the burning hulk of steel and crimson that was your mount.

Hold not to this realm,
But hasten! Hasten down the twisting path to the mountains.
To the dark mountains and beyond,
And across the shimmering sea.

Voyage then. Voyage thee well MechWarrior.
Voyage thee well and long.
Cross the great divide,
And find the land that beckons with its Siren’s song.

Where swords and strife can follow you no more,
Nor can cruel laser and cold gauss reach.
Where rolling hills of soft sun and velvet grasses embrace,
And quiet waters sooth your beleaguered soul.

Then, lay thee down MechWarrior,
Lay thee down and sleep.
Dream the dream’s of victors…
Loose the silver cord…
And find your peace complete.

Fare thee well MechWarrior.
Fare thee well.

This poem and the arrangement of the words that constitute this poem are © by Glenn "nano" Byrum, 2008.

Please do this, I myself am watching my wife battle cancer and to do something in aid of the battle so many face on a daily basis would be an amazing gesture. To Jon, please accept my heart felt condolences for your daughter sarah a true Hero to be remembered.

#353 bmulkshake

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth East Wisconsin

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

To Sarah's parents and family, may you take comfort in the fact that she will never again feel pain or sorrow but for the rest of eternity will rest in the eternal, infinite and perfect love of God.

#354 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

PER ATD 39:

`Mech's and Mechbay
Dragonkindred: Due to the huge support for a worthy cause, will you be making a hero mech for Sarah?
[color=#959595]A: A mech yes![/color]

#355 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

A 5 year old was playing MWO ?
:)

#356 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

From the "Ask the Dev #39", just posted.

Dragonkindred: Due to the huge support for a worthy cause, will you be making a hero mech for Sarah?

A: A mech yes!

YAY! Hero 'mech it is! *tears*

Edited by Lefteye, 31 May 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#357 Vraxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostDerSpecht, on 30 May 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

No i did not read the whole thread. I Read about the hero mech and the MC item. And i still dont like the idea. If you call it trolling then so be it. Dont want to argue but i can try to explain why this is a bad idea imo and maybe you'll understand.

Actually its pretty simple: I play games for fun. The games i play are 100% lore and fiction. By creating such a mech or item you create a relation to a real person and therefore force me as a player to do the same by checking out the mech or looking at the item while spectating.

Is it so hard to understand that some people dont want relations to dead children in their game? Maybe they have a reason and will stop playing immediately.

I think you're entitled to your opinion, so not going to fault you for that, and I can see one aspect which is do we really want to have Sarah's name tied to a mech. I for one would hate to see a mech named "Sarah" blown up in game. What about if a specific variant that is issued is simply tied to Cancer charity donations etc. Let the mech itself be something from Lore but let the funds go to a good cause.

To me that's not keeps a healthy separation from your fandom with your charitable efforts. My 2 cents.

#358 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostDerSpecht, on 30 May 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

No i did not read the whole thread. I Read about the hero mech and the MC item. And i still dont like the idea. If you call it trolling then so be it. Dont want to argue but i can try to explain why this is a bad idea imo and maybe you'll understand.

Actually its pretty simple: I play games for fun. The games i play are 100% lore and fiction. By creating such a mech or item you create a relation to a real person and therefore force me as a player to do the same by checking out the mech or looking at the item while spectating.

Is it so hard to understand that some people dont want relations to dead children in their game? Maybe they have a reason and will stop playing immediately.

Death is a part of us, brother, each and every given day of our life.
No need to deny ones mortality.
Plus...shame on you for not wanting to be reminded of those that died needlessly or even selfless.

Go, brother, in peace ... and dont lift your head too far, you might SEE things ...

#359 Flashback37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

I would like to know how Sarah's parents feel about this.
But I'll say this, even if it's nothing more than a banner in my mech bay saying "For Sarah" and no one else would ever see it, I'd still donate.
(My mother has survived both cervical and breast cancer so I'm already a regular donor.)

#360 MentalPatient

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

Can we get a toggle to opt out of games with Sarah mechs, similar to 3rd person?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users