#41 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

View PostShumabot, on 24 May 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

Anyone who has been playing this game solidly since closed beta without getting burnt out and getting mad at it's multitude of severe issues likes the game for reasons that aren't based on the game itself. You just said you couldn't afford other games and yet you spent an amount of money on this one that would have gotten you an easy 14 AAA steam titles with your gold tag alone, ignoring the truck full of MC and heromechs you've probably purchased.

I said nothing of the sort. Not only can I afford the 14 AAA titles, I've bought them, played them, and put them back on the shelf. If your tastes happen to run counter to mine, or anyone elses, that is all well and good, but to suggest that the only reason they may openly enjoy a game is because they payed some arbitrary amount of money for them is, again, the most ridiculous thing I've read on these forums.

#42 Jasen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

Any "Greatest FPSes of all time" list that doesn't start with Quake 1... you know.. first true 3d engine, first true multiplayer FPS, first with client-side prediction (quake-world anyone?), first with mods that spawned many straight up games (team fortress, counter-strike).....

Baby gamers are so cute with their non-gaming *****.

#43 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

View PostShumabot, on 24 May 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

That's the problem with blowing your savings on foundersing an unreleased game by an unproven company. You're forced to bite the bullet and play it forever so you don't look like you regret the decision.

That's the most hilarious reach I've read in a while. If you paid money on an incomplete game, the joke is on you. PGI never represented the game as anything but incomplete. And your dislike of the game is not the only opinion out there, however much you want it to be. Out of curiosity - do you still actually play?

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 24 May 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#44 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostFabe, on 23 May 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

Wounder how long until the haters come in and accuse PGI of bribing PC gamer for a good review

21 minutes after you posted. :)

Anyway great job PGI!

#45 Khan Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 245 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, U.S

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

Congratulations Dev's! Good press is always good.

I feel like it's a deserved spot as well. I'd personally rank it higher, as in my opinion, most shooters are the same anyway. Mechwarrior at least feels different when compared to the average FPS. I know that there is plenty of bias though coming from me, as I love the lore that comes with any BattleTech inspired game.

I also wanted to speak to the comment that indicated that those that are Founders HAVE to play in order to feel good about their purchase. I admit that I haven't played non stop since closed beta, but I DO keep coming right back to MWO. I've purchased plenty of games that were considered AAA titles since MWO was released and many were very lackluster.

One notable one in particular that can serve as an example was/is Bioshock Infinite. A game I only purchased because it came with a free copy of XCOM (a decent game, but back on the shelf as well). I wasn't too excited about Bioshock at all when I purchased it but after some time, with all of the hype that came with it, I decided that I was ready to experience this 10/10 that everyone was going nuts about. When the game finally released, I was beside myself with excitement after hearing and reading all the news about this mind blowing game. "Is this the Future of Gaming" asked Yahoo as high scores flooded in from nearly every single reviewer. I played for a few hours and didn't see it. I played for a few hours more, and still didn't see it. I still haven't beat the game, and just don't see myself going back to it at all. It was, in my opinion, only "meh". And this is a game that many in the gaming community went crazy over.

But the point is that I paid hard earned money for that game as well and don't feel that I need to "justify my purchase" by playing that awfully boring game, or even the better in my opinion game, XCOM. The money that I paid to become a founder was, to me, an investment in entertainment that I have gotten back ten fold when compared to games considered true "AAA" titles. At this point, I've learned that MWO may have most of what I'm looking for when it comes to gaming, and have even ceased looking elsewhere when it comes to FPS type games. And none of this is out of some "guilt" that I over payed or was bamboozled by PGI. Quite the opposite. PGI has shown me that I've been getting bamboozled by all of those other developers and publishers that crank out the exact same product as their competitor and slap a different name on it. To me the true difference between COD and Battlefield was whether I wanted to feel like I was running on crack or running through mud.

So...TLTR: In this humble gamers opinion (admittedly a BattleTech fan, though I can't quote field manuals or anything like that), I think number 19 in a PC gaming centered magazine is fair. It's damn near at the bottom of the list. And as was mentioned above, most people who are making lists in this very thread only make it to 11 or so before saying "See, there!". I'd rank it higher!

Edited by Khan Reaper, 24 May 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#46 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

Maybe if they had said in-development shooters, but "all time"? Really?

#47 Haniwa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostSephlock, on 24 May 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

Wasn't sure if I should mention Shadow Warrior and Duke, though they did cross my mind.

Edited by Haniwa, 25 May 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#48 Orkdung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 296 posts
  • LocationCCAF Sian

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostSephlock, on 23 May 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

Honestly, at this point it would take a sale to get me to consider getting any MC at all, and even then it would be a situation like that of a alcoholic finally caving and going out to buy a six pack. I know its wrong, that it won't make me happy, that it won't be worth it, but... but...

You do realize you can get MC by playing in the weekend Tournaments. Just be a great pilot and never pay for MC again.

#49 Sand Lantern

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

View PostShumabot, on 24 May 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

Anyone who has been playing this game solidly since closed beta without getting burnt out and getting mad at it's multitude of severe issues likes the game for reasons that aren't based on the game itself. You just said you couldn't afford other games and yet you spent an amount of money on this one that would have gotten you an easy 14 AAA steam titles with your gold tag alone, ignoring the truck full of MC and heromechs you've probably purchased.

You're silly. Been playing since October, don't see that stopping any time soon.

#50 Waking One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

View PostGreyfyl, on 24 May 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

And how much time do you really think the people at PC Gamer have spent playing MWO? MWO has some wonderful aspects that can be impressive in the short term, but it quickly loses it's luster once you have hung around for any fair amount of time.

No, not really. It's a lot of fun.

#51 CancR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

This goes to show how pathetic the 'game journalist' industry is.

A game that has been in beta for over a year and keeps having it's release date pushed back and is generally very bad get's in the top 25? I bet these idiots have quake in the 20's.

#52 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

PC Gamer *gets* why shooting mechs is fun. So much fun.

Unfortunately, the current state of the meta doesn't actually reflect that sense of fun so much.

Yes, it's fun to brawl and bash mechs and tear of their limbs.

It's less fun for both parties involved to point, click and kill mechs in 1-3 blows. They're plenty of games that do that better than Mechwarrior - so it's a shame that Mechwarrior is diluting its strengths by not properly managing the game balance of high damage weapons.

Edited by Zaptruder, 27 May 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#53 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

Look, I get that some people have a greater boredom threshold than I do, and that's fair enough: But looking at this objectively, saying its in the top 25 OF ALL TIME is the height of absurdity.

#54 ShockATC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

it should say "Best 25 of All Time (so far)" ... because... we dont know what may come, right?

#55 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:51 AM

View PostShockATC, on 27 May 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

it should say "Best 25 of All Time (so far)" ... because... we dont know what may come, right?

This i can agree with.

But i absolutely think that MWO deserves a spot on the list. Say what you want about the massive part but gameplay is fairly solid and at least stands apart from most other shooters

#56 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:31 AM

My Top 10:

1. Doom 1&2 (basically the same game) sorry Quake but Doom just did it first and had more character
2. Quake 1&2 (again basically the same game) Impeccable weapons balance and amazing moddibility - Action Quake 2 ftw! although doesn't get the top spot because of the BROWN
3. Halflife - Groundbreaking singleplayer campaign
4. Counterstrike - self explanatory
5. Battlefield 1942 - ALL modern FPS games owe their existance to this classic that introduced BIG maps and LOTS of players in ticket/cap point gameplay
6. System Shock 2 - The original was too flawed but this is in there as the second 'original' RPG shooter
7. Duke Nukem 3D - While technically nothing on Quake it had style and character in spades
8. Unreal - The original 'tech demo' FPS. Blew away its contemporaries with GFX and intense scripted sequences
9. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Not my style but can't argue with mass market appeal - it is a slick and quality product that blends many aspects of earlier titles into a modern triple A package
10. Wolfenstein - it has to be on the list even though it is a pretty terrible game really :)

MWO isn't there yet. But is very good.

Others that didn't quite make the list:
Ultima Underworld (not really a shooter per se)
Deus Ex
Battlefield 2
Half Life 2
Unreal Tournament

#57 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:39 AM

I agree that DOOM 1 is the competitor for the number 1 spot on the list.
Number 2 is already MWO imho bcs its the only "Shooter" game aside of DOOM (Co-Op with Nullmodem Cable and a Serial 12m Extension Cable to bridge the distance to the next computer) i ever played (i dont Count the Simulation-Games i played as shooters here - i.e. "Flight of the Intruder" is far from Arcade for its time).

#1 Doom
#2 MWO (and i want more Simulation in it)

Edited by Thorqemada, 28 May 2013 - 03:34 AM.

#58 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:19 AM

View PostThontor, on 23 May 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

always good to see MWO get good press.

How they manage it with such crash issues abounding I'll never know...

#59 Windies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

1.) Doom
2.) Quake
3.) Hexen
4.) Wolfenstein
5.) Rise of the Triads
6.) Shadow Warrior
7.) Half-Life
8.) Unreal Tournament
9.) Max Payne
10.) No One Lives Forever
11.) Medal of Honor Allied Assault
12.) Red Orchestra
13.) Far Cry
14.) Crysis
15.) Counter-Strike
16.) Operation Flashpoint
17.) Borderlands
18.) Battlefield 1942
19.) Deus Ex
20.) Alan Wake
21.) Killing Floor
22.) Dead Island
23.) Call of Duty
24.) Blood
25.) Tribes
26.) AvP
27.) Rainbow Six series
28.) Perfect Dark, if you want to include console shooters. Not sure about the article and whether it's PC only or not.
29.) F.E.A.R.
30.) System Shock
31.) Halo
32.) Duke Nukem
33.) Mechwarrior series

There's 33 Shooters and their collective iterations that I can think of as being the best shooters of all time. All of them brought something unique to the genre in some form or another, and were considered to be the best of their respective times. If you wanted to separate them into each game of a series, you're looking at 100 titles easily. MW:O doesn't hold a candle to any of them.

Whether you love MW:O or you hate MW:O, there is nothing exceptionally novel or great about MW:O as to have it beat out any of those 33 games for a spot on the greatest shooters of all time. Take from it what you will, but to those saying that there aren't that many great shooters and MW:O deserves a spot in the top 25, I don't think so.

#60 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

I don't play any other FPS, and have only tried a few so from my perspective this is the best one.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users