Pc Gamer: Ranks Mwo As #19 In 25 Top Shooters Of All Time

262 replies to this topic

#141 K0M3D14N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:48 AM

Man, there sure are a lot of opinions in this thread being declared as fact. It's like people have different opinions on stuff!

#142 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

View PostSephlock, on 29 May 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

How come I haven't seen much (any?) mention of EARTHSIEGE, the true shining star of the "siege" games!?

Sorry, but the only good thing that came out of those is the Tribes franchise which already died, so... yeah.

#143 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:08 AM

I played Earthsieg but never felt the fascination of Mechwarrior.

#144 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

View PostNRP, on 29 May 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

I'm 17 sittin on 7mil, now what?

#145 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

I would like to point out that Call of Duty did not make that list.

Cudos to PC Gamer for recognizing a cookie-cutter POS shooter.

#146 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:11 AM

View PostThontor, on 23 May 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

The complete list:

1. Team Fortress 2
2. Half-Life 2
3. PlanetSide 2
4. Quake III
5. Borderlands 2
6. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
7. Doom
8. Tribes: Ascend
9. Battlefield 1942
10. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
11. Left 4 Dead 2
12. Battlefield 3
13. Counter-Strike
14. Far Cry 3
15. Natural Selection 2
16. Arma 2: Combined Operations
17. F.E.A.R.
18. Max Payne 3
19. MechWarrior Online
20. Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
21. BioShock
22. Unreal Tournament
23. SWAT 4
24. Wolfenstein
25. No One Lives Forever

My Revised List:

Top 5: Unreal Tournament
Top 5: Mechwarrior 4
Top 5: Starsiege Tribes
Top 5: MechWarrior Online
Top 5: Halo
6: Borderlands 2
7: Battlefield 2142
8: Battlefield: Bad Company
9: BioShock
10: Max Payne 3
11: Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast
12: Duke Nukem 3D
13: XIII
14: Black
15: Battlefield 3
16: Halo: Reach
17: Team Fortress 2
18: Counter Strike
19: Dishonored
20: Far Cry
Honorable Mention: Brink

Just my humble opinion.

#147 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostHarmAssassin, on 23 May 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

Wow, the author of that article obviously has never played first person shooters.

I think the author might not be playing the games in depth so much as playing them for a few days before their own hype wears down and then slapping a review on based on surface observations. TF2 deserves first place about as much as I deserve a free Ferrari, and I've been playing it since it was released.

#148 tenderloving

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

There are wayyyy too many games that are very modern (2013? come on) on that list for it to be an "All time" list. And what's with all the sequels? Wouldn't the original game that broke whatever mold that needed breaking be the better game when looked at through the lens of history?

It looks like they included just enough classic games to give it a smidge of legitimacy, and then filled the rest of the slots with modern shooters that are probably advertised within the same magazine.

Not even close to journalism.

Edited by tenderloving, 30 May 2013 - 08:08 AM.

#149 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostSyllogy, on 30 May 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

I would like to point out that Call of Duty did not make that list.

Cudos to PC Gamer for recognizing a cookie-cutter POS shooter.

Yeah, Kudos for them not putting the most popular game in the history of shooters with dozens of innovations that single handedly revolutionized the genre and spawned dozens of copycats in, while instead putting in an unfinished fremium title that doesn't even have lobby play and has the experience system of foursquare but without the bother of being fun or interesting or useful or not awful.

Yep, they get all the kudos.

#150 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

View Posttenderloving, on 30 May 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

Not even close to journalism.

Journalism never was about checked and true facts... viz. Fox news. ;)

#151 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostAdridos, on 30 May 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

Sorry, but the only good thing that came out of those is the Tribes franchise which already died, so... yeah.

Except for the fact that "Tribes: Ascend" is beating MWO by 11 places in THIS EXACT LIST.

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 30 May 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

I think the author might not be playing the games in depth so much as playing them for a few days before their own hype wears down and then slapping a review on based on surface observations. TF2 deserves first place about as much as I deserve a free Ferrari, and I've been playing it since it was released.

The author of that list was the ad director informing the editorial staff of which companies payed the most and should get the largest mentions.

View PostStone Profit, on 29 May 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

you dont make me lol. People who ragequit especially repeatedly make me lol. Your argument against me
has the same flaw as your argument against the success against this game. Suppositions which you think are logic. Logic says theyre hiring additional staff members because the game is doing well. Logic is not "they wont tell me how many people are playing so theyre going under!"
The number of people who participate in the tournys is NOT the same as the number of people who logged in. Another fail. I played during all the tournys but didnt bother to opt in because i dont care.
perhaps an intro to logic course is needed.
You should also note that i have no need to insult anyone to make my point. When someone needs to call names it shows that they havent a leg to stand on and know it. Ie trolling.

Me: Reasons
You: NUH UH UR DUM STAHP TROLLIN STOP CALLIN NAMES

Classic stone profit. You should join the deaths hand brigade, they need more clueless sycophants getting a penny for every pro MWO post they make.

#152 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostShumabot, on 30 May 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

Yeah, Kudos for them not putting the most popular game in the history of shooters with dozens of innovations that single handedly revolutionized the genre...

****** also revolutionized Germany and we both know how well that went.

First of all,l I don't really know of anything that CoD itself gave to the genre, but I definitely know that we are currently playing are relaitively the worst FPS games ever made. So even if CoD did change something in the genre, it made it take the wrong turn.

View PostShumabot, on 30 May 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

Except for the fact that "Tribes: Ascend" is beating MWO by 11 places in THIS EXACT LIST.

Tribes: Ascend is really not a Tribes game. Unless you count the name, in which case you recognise Dungeon Siege 3 as a Dungeon Siege game and MechAssault as a Mechwarrior game...

Edited by Adridos, 30 May 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#153 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

****** also revolutionized Germany and we both know how well that went.

Do they really censor ******?

First of all,l I don't really know of anything that CoD itself gave to the genre, but I definitely know that we are currently playing are relaitively the worst FPS games ever made. So even if CoD did change something in the genre, it made it take the wrong turn.

That's nonsense. You really want more trash like bullet storm or quake arena? You want to go back to bunny hop, only the ak47 is good counterstrike? You think Hexen or Wolfenstein 2 or Perfect Dark or Serious Sam are BETTER? Let me guess, you hate apple products too. Since MW4 we've gotten the Bioshock series, the best entries of the halo series, TF2, the Portal series, and tons of other great titles.

Or did you prefer the pile of trash mil sims from before CoD more than the trash ones after?

[Redacted]

Edited by Niko Snow, 31 May 2013 - 08:43 AM.
Ad Hominem

#154 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

View PostShumabot, on 30 May 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Or did you prefer the pile of trash mil sims from before CoD more than the trash ones after?

I wanted to respond in a constructive manner.

You... called... CoD... a millitary simulation.

I'm sorry, but I can't express my opinion on you without coming out really rude.

#155 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostAdridos, on 30 May 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

I wanted to respond in a constructive manner.

You... called... CoD... a millitary simulation.

I'm sorry, but I can't express my opinion on you without coming out really rude.

Apparently you're not above sounding ignorant and petulant though. CoD is no less of a mil sim than counterstrike, medal of honor, or any of the other infinite life "im always running" jump-crouch games of yore. Remember delta force? You could run up sheer cliffs, SO MIL-SIM.

Does only Arma get to be milsim for you? Only games where 8 inch high wooden fences can impede you and fun is a distant memory can be mil sims? Does battlefield not get to be a milsim because you can fly a jet into a tank?

Edited by Shumabot, 30 May 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#156 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

You apparently lack the knowledge of military simulator definition. ;)

View PostShumabot, on 30 May 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Only games where 8 inch high wooden fences can impede you and fun is a distant memory can be mil sims?

So war is fun according to you?

... and you can vault over fences. But you obviously never went further than watching a YT video of some dumb criticising the game for doing what it's supposed to and not being another nameless copy of CoD.

Edited by Adridos, 30 May 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#157 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostAdridos, on 30 May 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

You apparently lack the knowledge of military simulator definition. ;)

So war is fun according to you?

You heard it here folks, only unfun games can be milsims. Adridos only plays unfun games.

... and you can vault over fences. But you obviously never went further than watching a YT video of some dumb criticising the game for doing what it's supposed to and not being another nameless copy of CoD.

You can vault over specific fences designed to be vaulted over (also, who the hell vaults over something ankle height?), a fraction of the in game content because ARMA is kind of a bad game, but that's par for the course for accurate wartime simulator fans. Fun isn't what it's all about. Maybe I should have said "30 degree inclines that are rocky" instead of "8 inch fences". Whoever you're simming in ARMA is really ******* picky about what he will and will not walk over. Last I checked I could walk up a sleight natural ramp and when I dive onto one I don't magically stop in mid air.

So simmy!

Edited by Shumabot, 30 May 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#158 K0M3D14N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

CounterStrike, Call of Duty, and Battlefield are arcade-style first person shooters. They come nowhere near the fidelity that a game like ArmA does in terms of simulating battlefield conditions. So, no, they are not milsim games at all.

#159 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostK0M3D14N, on 30 May 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

CounterStrike, Call of Duty, and Battlefield are arcade-style first person shooters. They come nowhere near the fidelity that a game like ArmA does in terms of simulating battlefield conditions. So, no, they are not milsim games at all.

Chalk up another one for "arbitrary differentiation that ignores all definitions of simulation and is basically just another way of saying that you like ArmA more".

You know whats unrealistic about mil sims? Bullets aren't coming out of your TV, you're always sitting, and you are immortal. Looks like the Fidelity of ArmA is pretty distant from any sort of realistic simulation of warfare too.

:edit: You know what? People have actually died playing CS before, it's clearly closer to the harsh reality of war.

Edited by Shumabot, 30 May 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#160 K0M3D14N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostShumabot, on 30 May 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Chalk up another one for "arbitrary differentiation that ignores all definitions of simulation and is basically just another way of saying that you like ArmA more".

You know whats unrealistic about mil sims? Bullets aren't coming out of your TV, you're always sitting, and you are immortal. Looks like the Fidelity of ArmA is pretty distant from any sort of realistic simulation of warfare too.

:edit: You know what? People have actually died playing CS before, it's clearly closer to the harsh reality of war.

You're also glossing over the fact that games like Arma (and Jane's Fighter Anthology, DCS-10C Warthog, etc) are designed to simulate battlefields, tactics, and scenarios as accurately possible in a video game format whereas Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc are more in line with action movies in their depictions of combat. Massive setpieces, sweeping scenes and dialogue, etc. You might even be able to call it the 'Michael Bay' approach to warfare.

By the by, I like my Battlefield 3 just as I do my ArmA- but for two entirely different reasons.

47 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 47 guests, 0 anonymous users