Pc Gamer: Ranks Mwo As #19 In 25 Top Shooters Of All Time

262 replies to this topic

#161 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Wasn't that one AC-130 mission based pretty closely on an actual mission?

#162 Prophanity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:31 AM

View PostK0M3D14N, on 29 May 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

Opinions =/= fact. You are welcome to your opinion but that does not necessarily make it true, nor does it make anyone else's opinion any less valid than your own.

You'll find that the opinion is shared by a good majority posting on this thread. You'll find the fact in the name ofthe list itself: Best Shooters of All Time.

Don't get me wrong, I still like and play MWO. I had a blast slogging my way to get the 25 victories the other day, but it is incomplete, buggy and imbalanced.

View PostShumabot, on 30 May 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

Classic stone profit. You should join the deaths hand brigade, they need more clueless sycophants getting a penny for every pro MWO post they make.

That was cold.

#163 Shumabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:06 AM

View PostK0M3D14N, on 30 May 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

You're also glossing over the fact that games like Arma (and Jane's Fighter Anthology, DCS-10C Warthog, etc) are designed to simulate battlefields, tactics, and scenarios as accurately possible in a video game format whereas Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc are more in line with action movies in their depictions of combat. Massive setpieces, sweeping scenes and dialogue, etc. You might even be able to call it the 'Michael Bay' approach to warfare.

By the by, I like my Battlefield 3 just as I do my ArmA- but for two entirely different reasons.

That's still glossing over many of the definitions of simulator and simulation though. The experiential visual and audio fidelity is as important as the frameworks conceptual closeness to the chosen reality. Battlefield looks better, sounds better, and has a wider variety of realistically rendered war related weapons and vehicles. The "gameplay" in these games certainly does strive to be as close to a keyboard and mouse sitdown warsim as they can be, given their self assigned goals, but they're still far off from being accurate experiential simulators. In that regard a game that looks the part is every bit as valid as one that plays vaguely more similarly to what war would be like if soldiers were robots controlled through your laptop.

It's a false differentiation, war is a real and observable event and thus has many many things that can be "simulated" to differing degrees. Drawing lines in the sand that states that call of duty isn't a milsim because it's too actiony kind of ignores the fact that it still purports to show military hardware used in military situations telling a story related to modern western militaries using their terminology and styling. It's still a milsim.

#164 JagdCrab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 368 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

>MWO is a greatest shooter
We never asked for this

#165 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

#1 Unreal Tournament
#2 Quake 3 Arena
#3 Doom
#4 CS Alpha/1.6
#5 Halflife
#6 Quake
#7 Team Fortress
#8 Halflife 2
#9 MW 2
#10 MW 2 Mercs
#11 Call of duty
#12 Call of duty 2
#13 Cs:S
#14 UT2003
#15 Quake Live
#16 Stalker Shadow of Tschernobyl
#17 Stalker Call of Pripyat
#18 Stalker Clear Skies
#19 Far Cry
#20 Opertion Flashpoint
#21 ArmA 3
#22 ArmA 2
#23 ArmA 1
#24 Mechwarrior : Living Legends @ CrysisWars
#25 Natural Selection

Above list been done by looking to my left and digging a bit in my memory.
Ordering is random (but note missing MW:O).

B.t.t:
Nice for PGI/IGP to get some props, although I feel like PC Gamers has been a bit short on their gaming memories though and only seem to remember the very recent history of "pew-pew" games.

Edited by Rad Hanzo, 01 June 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#166 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

Honestly that one version of that one counterstrike map where you could trap your entire team by backing up in the APC, or murder everyone by driving off a cliff, deserves its own entry. Hell, its own CATEGORY!

#167 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

View PostSephlock, on 01 June 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

Honestly that one version of that one counterstrike map where you could trap your entire team by backing up in the APC, or murder everyone by driving off a cliff, deserves its own entry. Hell, its own CATEGORY!

Siege, before they removed vehicles.

#168 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostShumabot, on 01 June 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Siege, before they removed vehicles.

Posted Image

I also can't believe they took away that exaggerated scream when ppl fell off the map on Skyscraper. When that was first released, that was the BEST. THING. EVER.

#169 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

In one thread, MWO is in the top 25 of FPS games, and CoD is referred to as a military sim.

Biggest troll thread of all time.

#170 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

There's just no way. : /

#171 Arkatrex

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Sorry guys..

..but..REALLY...MWO is no shooter...it's a simulation.
So i could say twice that GTA is a real car driving simulation, isn't it?! ;P
And Forza Motorsport is a cheeseburger sim with action parts, right? :P

Guys, guys, guys.....

Edited by Arkatrex, 02 June 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#172 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

Number "19" on the list..??? 19..??? I wil say this, 19 isn't good, why are so many of you jumping for joy because MechWarrior online received a participation trophy..?? You do know that participation trophies are given out to children for barely mediocre to awful performance don't you..?? Is this the mindset of people today..??

Question: When you make a list for any kind of purchase, how many times have you bought the product that ends up 19 on your list.???

Since when do promises become a substitue for "ACTUAL" performance..???

I remember being a kid, and playing little league baseball, at the end of the year only one team got a trophy, and a couple slices of pizza at the end of the year for being the best team, the rest of the teams got nothing, and the trophy that was handed out was a little trophy.

In ancient Greece during the Olympic games, there was no third or second place, only the winner, no silver, no bronze, and often times the losers where stoned, or stoned to death when they returned to their home towns..

Denial, and settling for mediocrity are not good character traits...

Finally, MechWarrior "CANNOT" be lumped in with the "Best Shooters of All Time", do you want to know why..??
MechWarrior online hasn't even been released according to the "It's Still Beta" proponents that used that statemant as a cure all bandaid, so MechWarrior Online doesn't qualify yet, but it seems the "It's Still Beta" proponents are embracing this number 19 place in the list.. So which is it, is MechWarrior Online really still a "Beta" or is it simply an unfinish product that has been brought to market.?? You can't have it both ways, and it seems from some articles I have read that many in the gaming industry are thinking the same thing. Yes, it seems a lot of these critics are wondering the same thing, is it or isn't it.

Any other title that claims to be in "Beta", or actually is still in "Beta" also does not qualify for any list concerning a list that put titles in the "Best Shooters of All Time", end of story...

Edited by Odins Fist, 02 June 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#173 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostShumabot, on 29 May 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

Ok grandpa.

LOL I'm 22, probably one of the younger people in this community.

90% of hip hop, even the good stuff,

is about

materialism
sex
arrogance

unless the whole genre is trying to be some sort of ironic satire about the state of American culture (a few rap artists are)

it is instead the worst influence on American culture in decades

I'd rank that below just about every other genre of music

down at the bottom with country, which is all about

trucks
sex
blind nationalism

Go listen to classics like Pink Floyd and compare the messages in the music

or modern bands like Radiohead, Band of Horses, Primus, Tool, Interpol.

All different sounds\genres

all with deeper meanings and complex emotions

This is just my opinion of course,

but If disliking thug culture makes me a 'grandpa' then ******* Christ I'm glad I don't live in your area.

Probably a bunch of white dudes in baggy shorts and flat billed baseball caps with the tags still on, who keep trying to act black.

To me Thug life means worshiping Kali, I bet most young rappers\fans don't even know about the origin of the term.

#174 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

LOL I'm 22, probably one of the younger people in this community.

Ok random bigoted dude. Is that better?

90% of hip hop, even the good stuff,

is about

materialism
sex
arrogance

That describes led zepplin too.

unless the whole genre is trying to be some sort of ironic satire about the state of American culture (a few rap artists are)

The battle aspects of it are core to the genre, but yeah, it's pretty material at times. Much like any mass produced form of music. Rock doesn't exactly escape from this and country music practically revels in its own brand of crap.

it is instead the worst influence on American culture in decades

Says the 22 year old.

I'd rank that below just about every other genre of music

down at the bottom with country, which is all about

trucks
sex
blind nationalism

And yet you're about to list primus as quality.

Go listen to classics like Pink Floyd and compare the messages in the music

or modern bands like Radiohead, Band of Horses, Primus, Tool, Interpol.

The Wall is hugely overated, radiohead has been going downhill since OK computer, the dude that shot dimebag did us all a favor, Tools lyrics have dissapeared inside of the preachydome, and I can't believe you just listed interpol.

All different sounds\genres

all with deeper meanings and complex emotions

I take it you've never listened to rap beyond whats on your local pop station.

This is just my opinion of course,

A bad one.

but If disliking thug culture makes me a 'grandpa' then ******* Christ I'm glad I don't live in your area.

Probably a bunch of white dudes in baggy shorts and flat billed baseball caps with the tags still on, who keep trying to act black.

Bostons one of the safest cities on earth and one of the primary cultural centers of America. Get out of Tornado alley.

To me Thug life means worshiping Kali, I bet most young rappers\fans don't even know about the origin of the term.

You're just making stuff up you heard in your free republic newsletter now.

Edited by Shumabot, 02 June 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#175 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostShumabot, on 02 June 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

Ok random bigoted dude. Is that better?

That describes led zepplin too.

The battle aspects of it are core to the genre, but yeah, it's pretty material at times. Much like any mass produced form of music. Rock doesn't exactly escape from this and country music practically revels in its own brand of crap.

Says the 22 year old.

And yet you're about to list primus as quality.

The Wall is hugely overated, radiohead has been going downhill since OK computer, the dude that shot dimebag did us all a favor, Tools lyrics have dissapeared inside of the preachydome, and I can't believe you just listed interpol.

I take it you've never listened to rap beyond whats on your local pop station.

A bad one.

Bostons one of the safest cities on earth and one of the primary cultural centers of America. Get out of Tornado alley.

You're just making stuff up you heard in your free republic newsletter now.

I don't know what free republic newsletter is

I'm not a big led zepplin fan for that reason

A ton of classic rock is trashy\generic for that same reason, but there are also tasteful ways to approach any subject matter.

Also, I'm totally fine with disagreeing with someone

Radiohead has gotten better with each successive album, Kid A, Amnesiac, and King of Limbs, are all up there for top rock album of all time IMO. I think Rolling Stone picked Kid A as top of all time.

I'm from DC btw...

Here is the big LOLfest

first I was 'grandpa'

Now how am I bigoted?

Thats that part that made me laugh, we disagree, therefore I am a bigot?

Or is it because I think Thug culture\hip hop is 90% trash?

Most of the thug wannabes I know are white so If you are gonna play the race card let me get this out of the way

huehuehuehuehuehue

Edited by LordBraxton, 02 June 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#176 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

I don't know what free republic newsletter is

I'm not a big led zepplin fan for that reason

A ton of classic rock is trashy\generic for that same reason, but there are also tasteful ways to approach any subject matter.

That's the problem with blanket statements about broad subject matter. I can say classic rock, arena, and prog rock are all just about sex and materialism but that's wrong, just as you're wrong for saying the same about rap.

Radiohead has gotten better with each successive album, Kid A, Amnesiac, and King of Limbs, are all up there for top rock album of all time IMO. I think Rolling Stone picked Kid A as top of all time.

People actually like king of limbs? Thom spent so little time and effort on it, the instrumentality is far under what they were showing a decade prior and the lyrics are cringe worthy. King of Limbs is the worst album radiohead has ever done, discounting the bsides of king of limbs (cause they're worse).

I'm from DC btw...

Here is the big LOLfest

first I was 'grandpa'

Now how am I bigoted?

Realistically "grandpa" meant "old and bigoted". Now you're not old.

Thats that part that made me laugh, we disagree, therefore I am a bigot?

Or is it because I think Thug culture\hip hop is 90% trash?

Most of the thug wannabes I know are white so If you are gonna play the race card let me get this out of the way

No, it's because you make blanket statements about subject matter you have absolutely no knowledge of and then directly attach it to a subculture you're also not a fan of. I could say I don't like Chavs, stoners, and red necks and the music they listen to is bad, suddenly every band you listed is terrible by association as well. It's a two way street and it's a pointless logical fallacy. You don't like rap? Sure. You don't like rap because "it's all sexist materialist gangster ****"? You're a bigot.

huehuehuehuehuehue

That's not helping your case.

Edited by Shumabot, 02 June 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#177 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

View PostShumabot, on 02 June 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

That's the problem with blanket statements about broad subject matter. I can say classic rock, arena, and prog rock are all just about sex and materialism but that's wrong, just as you're wrong for saying the same about rap.

People actually like king of limbs? Thom spent so little time and effort on it, the instrumentality is far under what they were showing a decade prior and the lyrics are cringe worthy. King of Limbs is the worst album radiohead has ever done, discounting the bsides of king of limbs (cause they're worse).

Realistically "grandpa" meant "old and bigoted". Now you're not old.

No, it's because you make blanket statements about subject matter you have absolutely no knowledge of and then directly attach it to a subculture you're also not a fan of. I could say I don't like Chavs, stoners, and red necks and the music they listen to is bad, suddenly every band you listed is terrible by association as well. It's a two way street and it's a pointless logical fallacy. You don't like rap? Sure. You don't like rap because "it's all sexist materialist gangster ****"? You're a bigot.

noooope try again

we just have different opinions

you don't like my opinion

so you are trying to label me with offensive terms

King of Limbs is incredible hahaha the fact that you are claiming otherwise while defending hip-hop just means that we are from different planets

but I don't hate YOU, I just hate what you LIKE

this all stemmed from me claiming that Pink Floyd is infinitely superior to any rap artist

my opinion

you don't like my opinion?

so you insult me

PRETTY IGNANT YO

I don't like rednecks or stoners either. wtf is a chav? Ill have to google that one

we are on a mechwarrior forum

guess what?

we are all NERDS

#178 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

noooope try again

we just have different opinions

you don't like my opinion

so you are trying to label me with offensive terms

King of Limbs is incredible hahaha the fact that you are claiming otherwise while defending hip-hop just means that we are from different planets

No, it just means that I have taste. KoL is terrible, Thom practically threw out the rest of radiohead just so that he could make an overproduced version of "The Eraser" with a music video.

but I don't hate YOU, I just hate what you LIKE

I like Tool and Radiohead. I don't like people who can't think critically and just use stereotypes as the basis of their opinions.

this all stemmed from me claiming that Pink Floyd is infinitely superior to any rap artist

my opinion

you don't like my opinion?

so you insult me

God save us from the generation of people who think that the freedom to HAVE an opinion also means the freedom to be free from ridicule BECAUSE of that opinion. Also, learn paragraph structure.

PRETTY IGNANT YO

I don't like rednecks or stoners either. wtf is a chav? Ill have to google that one

we are on a mechwarrior forum

guess what?

we are all NERDS

If you hate stoners I have bad news for you about Maynard and Thom. You should probably stop listening to Tool entirely and just stick with Pablo Honey. As for being nerds, I would think that would make you more used to this.

#179 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

View PostShumabot, on 02 June 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

No, it just means that I have taste. KoL is terrible, Thom practically threw out the rest of radiohead just so that he could make an overproduced version of "The Eraser" with a music video.

I like Tool and Radiohead. I don't like people who can't think critically and just use stereotypes as the basis of their opinions.

God save us from the generation of people who think that the freedom to HAVE an opinion also means the freedom to be free from ridicule BECAUSE of that opinion. Also, learn paragraph structure.

If you hate stoners I have bad news for you about Maynard and Thom. You should probably stop listening to Tool entirely and just stick with Pablo Honey. As for being nerds, I would think that would make you more used to this.

I smoke weed but I have never been a stoner.

A stoner is an addict, whose life revolves around pot, is always high, and rarely talks about anything else.

I know tons of normal people who smoke weed, a few times a year with old friends.

King of Limbs is amazing sorry, but like I said just agree to disagree is that so hard?

and

God save us from the majority of Americans from ANY generation, who resort to personal attacks the second they meet someone with a different opinion.

Also paragraph structure? Really, you seem desperate to attack me haha! This is a forum.

Who

cares

about

format

Edited by LordBraxton, 02 June 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#180 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostLordBraxton, on 02 June 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

I smoke weed but I have never been a stoner.

A stoner is an addict, whose life revolves around pot, is always high, and rarely talks about anything else.

I know tons of normal people who smoke weed, a few times a year with old friends.

King of Limbs is amazing sorry, but like I said just agree to disagree is that so hard?

and

God save us from the majority of Americans from ANY generation, who resort to personal attacks the second they meet someone with a different opinion.

Also paragraph structure? Really, you seem desperate to attack me haha! This is a forum.

Who

cares

about

format

The people that have to listen to your whiny, ranty, illogical, and stereotype driven drivel care about structure.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users