#1 Dalziel Hasek Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire, UK

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:46 AM

Dear All,

Like many people on these forums, since the patch of 21st May, I have been unable to play MWO because of persistent rubber-banding effects, massive jitter/latency spikes and packet loss. Nothing I tried in my computer (including the banal reinstallation, cache clearing, client repair tool, AV/firewall disabling) seemed to help. Support seemed to be groping around for a fix.

Following diagnosis and investigation, and a very helpful post from GateKeeper York (doff of the cap, sir), I looked at my router configuration.

I have a DrayTek Vigor 2700 and it has a Denial of Service (DoS) filter. This little feature looks for high rates of certain protocols and filters them if they are too high. The patch of 21st May has, apparently, increase the rate of UDP packets to the point where the DoS filter on the router has responded as if it were a denial of service attack. It does this by aggressive rate limiting, which has caused the packet loss and latency spikes in my case.

I have turned the USP DoS filter off on the router, rebooted it, and tried a game of MWO with total success. No more rubber-banding, latency back to normal.

==

DoS filters in hardware and software-based firewalls are quite common, and often turned on by default. If people are experiencing the kind of latency/PING/rubber-banding that I was - you might want to focus your investigation and time on your security hardware/software in your router or on your PC since this might be happening to you too.

I have only been able to play one successful game - and I will report back if the problem doesn't stop there - but this is very hopeful.

With luck, I will see you on the battlefield!

Edited by Dalziel Hasek Davion, 24 May 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#2 ICUBurn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

May have to try this myself since I can be sitting at around a 100 ping before game and in game im jumping to an average 400 up to 1000 sometimes and is unplayable and it weird cause I've abandoned trying to play after about 2 games the last 3 days and went to watch movies thinking Iits my isp effing up again cause of the storms here all week. But can watch movies and whatnot without going over a 200 ping in vent.

#3 Gallowglas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

My router is pretty old and doesn't have a setting for managing UDP DoS throttle, so I ordered a new router. Yes, I dropped money on a new router just like I dropped money on a new rig for this bloody game.

I need help.

And dakka.

...actually, mostly dakka.

#4 Jimerthon

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

I also have a Draytek 2700 series router with the DDOS disabled but I'm getting massive rubber banding when I come into contact with another mech ingame. It only happens to me when I come into contact with another player. I've tried restarting the router but the problem is still persisting.

This has only been happening since the new patch. Also I've noticed my ping has gone up from 300 to 400+ (I'm in WA, Aus).

#5 Greeneye

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 62 posts
  • LocationParma, Italy

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostDalziel Hasek Davion, on 24 May 2013 - 05:46 AM, said:

Dear All,

Like many people on these forums, since the patch of 21st May, I have been unable to play MWO because of persistent rubber-banding effects, massive jitter/latency spikes and packet loss. Nothing I tried in my computer (including the banal reinstallation, cache clearing, client repair tool, AV/firewall disabling) seemed to help. Support seemed to be groping around for a fix.

With luck, I will see you on the battlefield!

You are a GENIUS!

Same router, same probem, and SAME SOLUTION!

Thanks!

#6 Greeneye

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 62 posts
  • LocationParma, Italy

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

I've done some test: raising the threshold over 400 packets/sec, lag disappears.

Edited by Greeneye, 30 May 2013 - 02:25 AM.

#7 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

Supewio Intewect

#8 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

Bumping this thread in case others missed this fix that has worked for some.

#9 42and19

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

That's really interesting. I wonder how long this has been a problem. it would explain why this issue keeps coming back. It also would explain the drastic increase in dc's since the last patch. I wonder how many other games have this issue....

#10 mrt33

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

I´m suffering massive disconects too so I started digging around in my router settings.

Turned out, I got a DoS Protection on my router too (ASUS RT-N53) but it´s disabled by default and was never enabled.

So this potential fix doesn´t work for me :(

#11 ShadowSpirit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • 341 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Yeah .... spamming my IP address with UDP packets ... for what? Their server sync?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users