51 replies to this topic

#21 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostJames DeGriz, on 26 May 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

Given that I've had so much fun with Centurions just recently (favourite being the YLW), and I love the hit n run fast medium range support role that the Cent gives, I thought the Dragon might be a good fit for the way I play. Have to say, boy was I right, I LOVE it.

Question is like you OP, if the Flame and 1C are your two preferred variants, what would be the third one? I've got exactly both of those and wondering what to have as the third one for getting those skill trees unlocked?

The 5n is one of my favorites.

#22 Nebuchadnezzar2

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

Dragon is my first mech and i cannot think of any other mech that could replace it (i even sold my highlander and cent to buy another dragon). I wonder what future mech that can at least subtitutes my dragons

My formula of building dragon is :
- Put at least 10 dps on your arms (yeah alpha is overated)
- Have at least 1.3 heat efficiency by balancing your energy and ballistic loadout
- Dont go lower than XL 300 (you cannot pack more sustainable firepower anyway even with the free tonnage)
- Put more armor on your CT

Several things to note:
- You are fast but does not mean you can dodge shoot. Speed is useful to get you at the right place at the right time
- You have advantage in 1 on 1 duel against most mech that is not of assault class but do it on last resort
- Think of your CT as huge shield to your XL engine, reinforce it and treat it with respect
- Your balanced ballistic and energy arms are not weaknesses, use them to create sustainable firepower with fast reaction, pinpoint accuracy and large angle of attack
- Due to your balanced nature you can beat almost anything if you approach correctly. Take time learning your enemies loadout, use your speed to dictate the engagement
- You are always in a hurry, get in fast, finish your target quickly (never mind of disarming your opponent just kill them right away ;) )
- Put 2xAC5 on your double ballistic arm (i cannot think of better usage for that double ballistic arm)
- SSRM is very good becaus it can keep up with your hands
- dont get focused fired ever !!!!!!!

My favorite builds:
FANG : XL335 2xAC5 3xML SSRM
5N : XL330 2xAC5 2xML SSRM MG(not quite useful but feels right with your right arm shape :D
1N : XL300 2xAC5 ERPPC 2xSSRM
playstyle : in the earlier phase snipe with either AC5 or PPC until things get close and personal crash into the party

1C : XL 360 2x shoulder mounted ERPPC 2xML SSRM MG
>> 2 shoulder ERPPC may not be much but doing it right you are not going to lose any sniper duel

other : XL300 2xAC5 2xLL (deadly from 600 m with enough speed)

I don't have flame because it cost money and it is too energy oriented for my taste (it also cannot shoulder snipe like 1C)

Edited by Nebuchadnezzar2, 11 June 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#23 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

Sure the Flame can shoulder-snipe. You put a Gauss in there, and 4xMLAS in the arms. It is as straightforward as can be. You can even add the SSRM2 if you are willing to live with a lower speed, like so.

Edited by Modo44, 11 June 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#24 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

View PostModo44, on 11 June 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

Sure the Flame can shoulder-snipe. You put a Gauss in there, and 4xMLAS in the arms. It is as straightforward as can be. You can even add the SSRM2 if you are willing to live with a lower speed, like so.

Flame is a great PPC sniper too. I love running around at 104kph taking pot shots and flanking baddies with this build.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...169e986fe5ad329

Having the PPCs in the right arm means you simply cover and uncover around the sides of obstacles instead of by cresting over top of them. It actually works a lot BETTER in urban areas and on maps like Canyon where you have rocks all over the place to hide behind. You can sub out the PPCs for ER's if that's your thing... but I prefer having a higher ROF (due to the lower heat) over having more range. As fast as this build is, you can pretty much get as close as you have to and still have the wheels to get out of dodge when you need to.

#25 Motroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Locationmost likely gone

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

DRG-1C is my Primary Battlemech so have to drop my 2 Cents here...
From my thousands of matches in Dragons I can say 2 things:

1.Max Speed is must-have (XL360 with Speed tweak = 106,9km/h)
2.Torso-twist for your life. DRGs are so agile, so you decide where to be hit at any time.

Brawler, Sniper, Scout(hunter), Fire Support, Harasser, whatever... Many roles fit for a decent DRG pilot.

#26 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

Meh, you can do one-armed sniping without paying real money. Heck, you can do two-armed sniping (but not much else) by putting a Gauss in one arm, and and ERPPC or two in the other. All-in, it looks something like this.

#27 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

I dont know why I completely forgot about this puppy, but the clans did their own take on the dragon and its got one pretty damn obvious edge over our dragon, can you spot it? XD

Posted Image

#28 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

I can spot it alright. Behind a low building that would hide the entire Dragon. :)

#29 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Yep hit and run is the way to go. I dont find it necessary to go 100kph with speed tweek 95 seems to be just fine. I do have 4 med las and a guass equipped though. Sometimes I swap out the gauss for an AC10 and a srm 6 / or streak. The one C Ill do ac 5/2 with med lasers or gauss pluss 2 large las. I agree with the others to in the fact this is a XL mech besides the Pult and the Cicada I feel its the only way to get what you need out of it.

#30 mack sabbath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostBanky, on 11 June 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

Flame is a great PPC sniper too. I love running around at 104kph taking pot shots and flanking baddies with this build.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...169e986fe5ad329

Having the PPCs in the right arm means you simply cover and uncover around the sides of obstacles instead of by cresting over top of them. It actually works a lot BETTER in urban areas and on maps like Canyon where you have rocks all over the place to hide behind. You can sub out the PPCs for ER's if that's your thing... but I prefer having a higher ROF (due to the lower heat) over having more range. As fast as this build is, you can pretty much get as close as you have to and still have the wheels to get out of dodge when you need to.

I am considering something similar..I have the 340XL leftover from my Cataphract, does this Flame build look good?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...330619ec4af87e1

#31 Funkmasterflex

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

I thought the same thing until i tried a centurion.

centurion is pretty much better in every way, more flexible, can be faster, hard points are way better, can survive longer due to hard points (left arm shield)

Edited by Funkmasterflex, 12 June 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#32 armyof1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostFunkmasterflex, on 12 June 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

I thought the same thing until i tried a centurion.

centurion is pretty much better in every way, more flexible, can be faster, hard points are way better, can survive longer due to hard points (left arm shield)

2PPC and 2LL would break my Cents back, and it's a build that works great on a DRG-1C. Especially now when they've yet to make the SRMs deal good enough damage to make sense, most mediums are just not up to par.

#33 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostDie Primate Die, on 12 June 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

I am considering something similar..I have the 340XL leftover from my Cataphract, does this Flame build look good?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...330619ec4af87e1

I think it looks good - but it's definitely going to run hot :). The thing about having a couple PPCs on a 100+ kph mech, is that you really don't "have" to trade shots with stuff at 1000+ meters. It's really easy to slip closer into range and then back out when bad guys try to push on you when you're that fast...

#34 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostModo44, on 27 May 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

I think people assume that you can just stand still and fire, which gets you killed in no time. Pilot the Dragon like a light 'mech with more firepower, and you will do well.

Yeah, you want to be constantly moving, running circles round mechs and dodging fire. :)

View Postmalibu43, on 29 May 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Ummm... you can't put an AC20 in the arm of a 5N. The flame is the only one that can carry an AC20 (in the side torso)...

Ooops, slight typo... ...that should be the Flame with the 20 and the 5N with AC/10

#35 R6Nighthawk

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

Nice guide, good points all around. :) Echoing Motroid's point about torso-twisting as well... I can recall that saving my mech countless times, and when I'm too lazy to do it, getting popped in no time.

Running a Flame, 1C and 1N at the moment. Flame has a cheap 4ML + AC/20 setup with a std engine that's far from ideal, but it gets by (so long as it isn't Alpine Peaks or Caustic Valley...). Really need to get a nice big XL engine to get a real build going:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...763a42eff566e7e

1C is running the typical 4ML-SRM6-Gauss Rifle + XL300. (Boring I know, but its all I got that's truly competitive :lol:)

Of course, had a lot more trouble finding or building a suitable 1N... toyed with it for a while until I came up with this 2LL, 2 SRM4, UAC5, XL300 build. It's worked out the best for me as far as 1N setups go though, at least to my playstyle. Not sure if it's all that good or competitive as I'm not very good a pilot:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eef4622005c13c7

Edited by R6Nighthawk, 12 June 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#36 Nebuchadnezzar2

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

It is ironic that many people pointing out how bad dragon hardpoint is and how it cannot boat but for me those 2 arms and various load it can mount that makes me has difficult time to think about using another mech

If only it can lift its arms higher it will be downright op

#37 MoonfireSpam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

Hmms I really don't think this thing is fast or small enough to dodge any decent shot with that huge nose.....

That said, it does work well as a better armed medium. Been toying around with 4 LLasers + AC5 which seems to have been working ok

#38 BlacKcuD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 229 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationmwo-builds.net

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

Just encountered a Dragon pilot who was almost as slow as my std300 Stalker. He ate one LRM salvo and 6x PPC and was never seen again. Unfortunately he was on my team :E

You should really consider polishing these guides and putting them all together ;)

#39 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostBlacKcuD, on 17 June 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

Just encountered a Dragon pilot who was almost as slow as my std300 Stalker. He ate one LRM salvo and 6x PPC and was never seen again. Unfortunately he was on my team :E

You should really consider polishing these guides and putting them all together :(

maybe i need better advertising.
but, usually what i do is play the hell out of them till i Basic and Elite unlock 3 of the variants... i'm the type of player that if i haven't figured at least some of the their ins and outs by then i'm not going to. i learn from mistakes really fast :lol:

hell, if i knew anything about editing I'd have a channel on youtube :ph34r:

#40 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

I concur that a dragon should be built fast. I play 5n with 360xl 2xErPPC 18 dhs with near max armor. This guy is extremely versatile. Fast enough to chase lights/outrun heavy-assaults while dealing a lot of damage also has his right arm as a shield. Only weakness is that some heavy hitter focus on your left arm(which is not very hard) and u are relegated to cap duty.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users