51 replies to this topic

#41 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts
  • LocationRainham, Kent UK

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:16 AM

I've been running my 5N with 3xAC2 and 2ML and been surprised at the results. Keep your distance, keep mobile and relatively unseen and use the AC2s range to obliterate the enemies armour so long as it's engaged with one of your brawler team mates and 600+ damage per round isn't unusual.

Despite my love of the Flame and 1C, the 5N was the first Dragon I mastered.

#42 mack sabbath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

In a match earlier this morning where my Misery met an untimely demise, I spectated on a Fang who pretty much mopped up more than half of our enemies team.

As much maligned as that mech is, I was surprised to see the carnage it wrought.

Edited by Die Primate Die, 23 June 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#43 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostDie Primate Die, on 23 June 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

In a match earlier this morning where my Misery met an untimely demise, I spectated on a Fang who pretty much mopped up more than half of our enemies team.

As much maligned as that mech is, I was surprised to see the carnage it wrought.

yeah in the right hands the Dragon is pretty awesome (thats awesome, not Awesome). although i can admit, my hands aren't exactly "right". most of my suicide charges end with me dead, but leaves the enemy team broken and disorganized. i can do my job in that regard, but i rarely get to survive the match :D

#44 Nebuchadnezzar2

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

View PostLeded, on 23 June 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

yeah in the right hands the Dragon is pretty awesome (thats awesome, not Awesome). although i can admit, my hands aren't exactly "right". most of my suicide charges end with me dead, but leaves the enemy team broken and disorganized. i can do my job in that regard, but i rarely get to survive the match :P

I do the same, it is nice charging into the enemy causing disarray on their rank but most of the time my pug buddies keep staying behind their rocks and the result is i enjoy the goriest death in merely seconds. In the end i promise to myself to only charge after my teamates fully commited to assault :P

I find that dragon is very strong when the game progresses into huge brawl even stronger if the brawl is spread all over the places. I also find that nothing disturbs my dragon more than a good lrm boat. There was time when it is easy to consistently deal 600+ damage but it comes a lot less now, we re just getting too efficient in killing.

The other scenario when i get tons of damage and kills is when i begin with capping in conquest and by the time i finish my team has been decimated leaving scatered wounded enemies. Best time to do cleansweeping 😆

#45 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostNebuchadnezzar2, on 23 June 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

I do the same, it is nice charging into the enemy causing disarray on their rank but most of the time my pug buddies keep staying behind their rocks and the result is i enjoy the goriest death in merely seconds. In the end i promise to myself to only charge after my teamates fully commited to assault :P

I find that dragon is very strong when the game progresses into huge brawl even stronger if the brawl is spread all over the places. I also find that nothing disturbs my dragon more than a good lrm boat. There was time when it is easy to consistently deal 600+ damage but it comes a lot less now, we re just getting too efficient in killing.

The other scenario when i get tons of damage and kills is when i begin with capping in conquest and by the time i finish my team has been decimated leaving scatered wounded enemies. Best time to do cleansweeping ������

yeah the last part, a fast Dragon excels in Conquest mode. it's fast enough to grab bases and has enough guns to fend off the lights that may try and stop you

#46 Skexy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

I started off with a Jenner, but quickly bought a dragon 5N with 'new pilot' bonus money. I bought a Fang with my initial chunk of money I when I knew I wanted to support the game as well as just play a bunch for free with the plan of using dragons to be my first skill cap. After playing with a LRM boat catapult and a Cicada this weekend with the sale to try out ECM I came back and got the 1C so I can work on hitting elite. Now I know I'm not a great pilot and often when I run around to try to flank a group it backfires when the rest of the team doesn't keep up the assault or just keeps pop tarting and doesn't hold their aggro. But yesterday I started putting up much bigger numbers when I outfitted the 1C with an ER PPC, UAC5 (also worked with the 2) and a couple of MPLs. The key for me was dropping the missiles so I could just concentrate on sniping with the UAC and ERPPC and bring the MPLs in up close.

As I push through the tier 2 on all three variants I'll probably try to keep it simple too and give them a more stripped down armament. Its tempting to take advantage of all the different hard points; but I'm seeing better results keeping myself to just a couple of options.

-skexy

#47 Flagrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

Some tips for the new or potential dragon pilots in a pug:

1. In assault mode just stay with group. You can scout but you're better waiting til the fight begins without you.

2. In conquest mode you should help cap. I use xl and go about 100kph and have capture module. It helps a ton to back up a skittish light or just be the only fast guy on your side to take the bases. When capping and even most engagements know your exits. When I cap, my legs are facing the direction I am running away.

3. To stay alive and help win, run as soon as you are hit. RUN AWAY! Don't think twice. I've died many times only because I know the guy I'm targeting is about to die and let his buddies hit me a few more times. I run away from anything coming toward me. Even spiders or another dragon.

The **** will hit the fan and you will be targeted and they will keep you targeted just in case you show yourself. Always stay moving. Run to your teammates. Use your surroundings. And even better just stay behind a rock until you see a red come too close or get too separated.

4. In an attack don't worry about torso twisting too much. Just run straight to the target who should not know you are coming and unload. I like to do the driveby where I will be running straight to him unloading everything I got and pass him and run away or if he is still not targetting me, I pass him then stop and turn back to him to unload again.

Remember to fight dirty. Stay behind the stalker to shoot, attack anything that is near that is preoccupied. Your speed allows you to reach these engagements faster than anything else with greater firepower than you. You can even get behind enemy lines with your speed to help the light against the enemy LRM boat.

5. Defensive maneuvers have been shown by Koreanese in his videos and they work great. Circle jerking is viable if the target is near death, but the zig zagging is real good for running away and taking couple more shots as applicable.

6. Armor should be maxed out. Rear armor should be 20+ for torsos a bit more for center rear. Arms should be maxed as they are your weapons. Legs are not targetted much but I max them anyways.

7. Weapons. Dragons are skirmishers. SRMS are still good and I like to finish a drive by with a faceful of SRMs before running away. Any ballistic rocks as the arm targetting is really sensitive with great range. Lasers a must but be careful of overheating. One overheat and you are dead if anyone notices. My heat scale number is at 1.5 and I can shoot all day and not worry about overheating except in the caldera.

Hope this helps. I've been playing the dragon 1N since collision days and still love to play it. And yes I have been owned by a spider 1 on 1 and other dragons 1 on 1 but these tactics have given this mech my best win loss ratio out of all my mechs next to my Atlas D-DC.

#48 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

good info there Flagrant. :)

#49 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:47 AM

my next little project is the Quickdraw i think.
http://cloud.steampo...18B2F4CEC52453/

starting to get really good with this guy, may be my new favorite Heavy

#50 DerMaulwurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationPotato Tier

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Question not the power of the dragon, for he is mighty

Posted Image

I'm running Gauss and double LL with a 300XL. My preferred playstyle with the dragon is to stay at the flanks keeping my distance. As already said, don't engage unless you have an advantage and use your speed to change positions quickly.

#51 Pliskkenn D

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostDerMaulwurf, on 02 July 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

Question not the power of the dragon, for he is mighty

Posted Image

I'm running Gauss and double LL with a 300XL. My preferred playstyle with the dragon is to stay at the flanks keeping my distance. As already said, don't engage unless you have an advantage and use your speed to change positions quickly.

Odin's Beard that's impressive. The best I've managed is about 600 DMG in a match in my DRG. Averaging between 200-400. End up with way more assists than kills.

#52 Booran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

Back in closed beta my favourite was the 5N with UAC/5, 2xML, 2xSSRM and sometimes 2xMG for flavour. Had a XL300+ engine and preferred tactic was to run around the enemies' main front brawlers and collide their LRM-boats to death.
Tried to get the "Dragon Kiss" nickname for this to stick but noone except me liked it :)

Was great to flank-charge lights trying to run for a quick cap (again a Dragon Kiss is wonderful). The angry messages in the chat was like a sweet massage on my ego.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users