Assault As Lrm Carriers

58 replies to this topic

#41 OneEyed Jack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

I don't have a problem with Assault LRM boats, per se. But LRM D-DCs really **** me off primarily because, almost universally, they are the worst freakin' players in the game. That's why they're playing LRM boats with massive armor (easy-firing weapons, excellent protection and their own ECM). They don't know how to position, trying to sit at 900+m behind a hill. They can fire LRMs all day, but don't know how to make their shots count. They're so bad at pretty much every aspect of the game, that they'd usually be more useful just making a banzai charge straight into the enemy and drawing fire, so that at least they contributed a distraction.

I find that the ones either smart enough to know how to properly play them, or at least smart enough to ask for advice and learn how, also tend to be smart enough to know it's a poor use of the mech, and will either use a better mech for the role or a better loadout for the mech.

#42 Gaan Cathal

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:31 AM

View PostBarberian, on 07 June 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

Must be nice in your fantasy world.

He's just fighting at an Elo level where people know what they're doing. Unsurprising since, by using his LRMs direct fire and using that armour and those direct fire hardpoints he's playing an Atlas equipped with LRMs properly. LRMs fired indirectly are crap. Crap, crap, crap. They're worth launching as you get into position if a light gets a good lock somewhere fairly open, but too many people think it's how they're supposed to be used. LRMs are only actually effective used direct fire as support for the brawl. About 600-800m is where I like to sit in my LRM Cat, actual choice of range depending on what we're up against (PPCs = closer to 800m, obviously).

#43 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2450310

See? That, PLUS the low damage, plus the various factors that can cause a missile to miss, = the need to boat for maximum effectiveness :).

#44 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

To that I say run 8 man. Its 6-7 Assault all PPC with 1-2 scout.

edit: not a fan of this meta.

Edited by Johnny Reb, 13 June 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#45 Bad Andy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

i don't give a **** what weapons you bring just please got rescue me from the horror of trying to get mech xp in my medium mechs and finishing at 400-500 damage only to find we lost and had assault mechs finish below 50.

#46 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

I normally come up on the chatline at the start of a mission and let the lance know that I am a Sniper Config Atlas. That's not to say that I am an LRM boat, yes I do carry LRM15 and often end up suppressing for the lance, especially in Caustic Valley. In the main, I will look for the best position to snipe from (Impossible in the Canyon scenario) and let rip with my ERPPC. Now that I have the Zoom Vision module things have got a lot better; I certainly get higher scores.

#47 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

I'm now regularly doing more damage than these builds in an *URBANMECH*!?!?!?!!!!!!

Just gets rediculous at that point.

#48 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

View PostFiona Marshe, on 17 June 2013 - 11:48 PM, said:

I'm now regularly doing more damage than these builds in an *URBANMECH*!?!?!?!!!!!!

Just gets rediculous at that point.

Huh?

#49 Skyfaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Fact is, mediums, lights and fast heavies survive under fire longer than as assault because speed = the best armor there is.

The moment I stick my stalker's nose out of cover its bombed by PPC and LRM fire I have ZERO chance of dodging if i'm away from cover. Fast heavies, mediums and lights on the other hand, can. As a stalker I can carry very heavy missile loads and lots of ammo... meaning my team has a far more effective damage dealer. As a missile boat AND assault, I can take hits as I guide my missiles in..unlike lighter mechs that just die from a couple of PPC volleys trying to do the same.

#50 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

View Postt9nv3, on 02 June 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

My problem with the Atlas LRM boat is that most of the people I see running this build dont seem to undertstnad how to play it. They hide outside of an area where the engagement is happening. Position themselves in a spot where their LRM cant hit anything. Let their temmates die. Repeat. In the right hands this build could work nicely, but in my expereince this is rarely the case.

This is the same issue with every build. The majority of the people I see running 4+ PPC Stalkers... what you said. The majority of the people I see running Jenners... what you said. The majority of 2 AC/20 Jaggers... what you said.

View PostVision, on 12 June 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

To every single pilot in this thread who has commented that they prefer to stand on the front-line and DO THEIR JOB....I salute you.

They call them Assault mechs for a reason people. They are the front-line, both the sword and the shield and more often than not, the first to succumb to enemy fire.

My personal preference is of course to be the gigantic looming shadow of death over the enemy team...place myself in a position where i can divert incoming firepower from the enemy and place it on myself. Tactically this allows your team members to focus firepower on enemy targets without immediate repercussion.

The games are balanced around tonnage. If you LRM your Assault mech and play a ranged war then there is a 'potential' that the extra tonnage required to soak enemy fire will not be present where it is most likely needed most...in the brawling arena.

All things in perspective however, there is no law against it. I would however be surprised to see LRM's on Assault mech's in organised groups.

"Assault" is a weight category, not a role. There exists an Assault mech designed for Scouting. It's called a Charger and to encourage it's role in a way that wouldn't give any pilots funny ideas they gave it 5 Small Lasers. Yes most people consider it a joke and productions was stopped on it, but Assault is not a role. Mechs such as the Longbow carry long ranged fire support weapons with very little else. It is an 85 ton mech and well prized for it's fire support role.

View PostGaan Cathal, on 13 June 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

He's just fighting at an Elo level where people know what they're doing.

Elo doesn't have tiers. If you are high Elo you are more likely to get a low elo PUGger on your team than another high Elo player. More likely he is 4 manning it and so knows there are 3 players who will stick with him. Get 4 in one spot and the PUGgers will gravitate to the clump of mechs most of the time.

#51 Gaan Cathal

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostSkyfaller, on 23 June 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Fact is, mediums, lights and fast heavies survive under fire longer than as assault because speed = the best armor there is.

No. It takes one hit from a heavy or assault and some laser-grazing to cripple or kill a light or medium. You can be the most badass light or medium pilot for 25s, an alphabuild only needs to get lucky once, never mind if - god forbid - he can actually aim.

View PostMercules, on 24 June 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

Elo doesn't have tiers. If you are high Elo you are more likely to get a low elo PUGger on your team than another high Elo player. More likely he is 4 manning it and so knows there are 3 players who will stick with him. Get 4 in one spot and the PUGgers will gravitate to the clump of mechs most of the time.

Not entirely true, the match maker does try and put similar Elos together. When the MM does it's job fast, matches tend to be even. The longer you wait, the more haphazard the quality of player.

#52 Whompity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 380 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Broken record mode, but I scout a lot. Without ECM (though I admit to owning a 3M and a 3L) mostly. In order to hold a target for a poorly played LRM assault, the scout is going to get destroyed. If scout can see the enemy, the enemy can see the scout, and I guarantee their guns shoot farther.

Bugs me to get screamed at "hold targets!" when I'm doing my best to peek out from every possible angle behind that small hill without getting my cockpit blasted in (whack-a-mole) by multiple PPC/gauss snipers. The screamer is often a LRM-Atlas STANDING STILL safely behind some hill 1km from the action.

I'm wearing paper armour "playing" with half a dozen enemy mechs and you're angry because you can't lock on indirectly?

Edited by Olivia Maybach, 24 June 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#53 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostOlivia Maybach, on 24 June 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

I'm wearing paper armour "playing" with half a dozen enemy mechs and you're angry because you can't lock on indirectly?

This.

We need a new class. They're not Assaults, they're A-s-s-h-a-t-s..

Edited by Appogee, 24 June 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#54 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostOlivia Maybach, on 24 June 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

Broken record mode, but I scout a lot. Without ECM (though I admit to owning a 3M and a 3L) mostly. In order to hold a target for a poorly played LRM assault, the scout is going to get destroyed. If scout can see the enemy, the enemy can see the scout, and I guarantee their guns shoot farther.

AC/2. Gauss Rifle, and UAC/5 are the only weapons really reliably shooting further than my current Scout's load-out. Ehem... that being said, the Sensor Range module is a good investment for a scout. Right now you do not want to get within 400m of enemy mechs so being able to lock them from 1k away is a good thing. If I could fit a BAP in my current load-out, that might help even more, but an ERPPC isn't exactly light for a Commando to mount. :)

#55 Whompity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 380 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostMercules, on 24 June 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

AC/2. Gauss Rifle, and UAC/5 are the only weapons really reliably shooting further than my current Scout's load-out. Ehem...

LOL 1 PPC against half a dozen gauss and PPCs? To each his own, I guess, but that still doesn't let you "spot" any better than a scout with ML's and SSRM's... you still have to stay in visual contact with your enemy, and they with you. It's not about HITTING them, it's about holding them as target without breaking LoS for very long. We BOTH have to get close enough to count, identify and determine direction. Hopefully be able to lock them up too, barring heavy ECM. I tend to use cover as much as possible, as HSR makes me very hittable in the open, even at over 140kph.

that being said, the Sensor Range module is a good investment for a scout. Right now you do not want to get within 400m of enemy mechs so being able to lock them from 1k away is a good thing. If I could fit a BAP in my current load-out, that might help even more, but an ERPPC isn't exactly light for a Commando to mount. :ph34r:

I carry both of those. Cuz... ravens. :huh:

Edited by Olivia Maybach, 24 June 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#56 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

I started testing on the narc and i found a lack of LRM's on my team to be problematic.
need to either remake a new light and thus my elo is low or live with it and be a liability for my ppc' boating team mates.

#57 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostOlivia Maybach, on 24 June 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

LOL 1 PPC against half a dozen gauss and PPCs? To each his own, I guess, but that still doesn't let you "spot" any better than a scout with ML's and SSRM's... you still have to stay in visual contact with your enemy, and they with you. It's not about HITTING them, it's about holding them as target without breaking LoS for very long. We BOTH have to get close enough to count, identify and determine direction. Hopefully be able to lock them up too, barring heavy ECM. I tend to use cover as much as possible, as HSR makes me very hittable in the open, even at over 140kph.

I carry both of those. Cuz... ravens. :ph34r:

Sensor Decay is my other go to. Why? Because I don't HAVE to hold locks as long. If I have sensor decay and my friendly has sensor decay then when I lose LoS my decay kicks in and lasts long. When my decay ends his decay kicks in and often is enough to keep the LRM salvo on target.

Also, I do very well against multiple PPCs because unlike most PPC stalkers I am moving and juking and turning. I know when I am about to maneuver and when I am going to go straight for a half a breath. That means I know when I can fire and which direction I am heading so that I can compensate my shot for my movement. As the enemy is often just STANDING STILL or otherwise moving slowly I don't have to compensate for their movement just my predictable movement and so can smack them and avoid the counter fire.

This works best at about 800m or so. That is outside of TAG which means I often smack them with a PPC, light them up, and hope I can smack them again to keep there ECM off. If I know I have a dedicated LRM mech on my side I will swap out my single Medium Laser on the other arm for a TAG. Hitting a fast moving small target at range as it slows down, speeds up, and zig-zags is as much luck as skill in this game.

#58 JovialJovian

• Pip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostMercules, on 24 June 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

Sensor Decay is my other go to. Why? Because I don't HAVE to hold locks as long. If I have sensor decay and my friendly has sensor decay then when I lose LoS my decay kicks in and lasts long. When my decay ends his decay kicks in and often is enough to keep the LRM salvo on target.

Thank you thank you! Us LRM boaters could really benefit from more of you using Sensor Decay modules as it amlost assures that we hit when we launch between 300 to 500 meters out.

Also LRM boaters should stay up with the pack more often. Not directly on the front line but between 50 to 100 meters behind the main assault force. Flight times are greatly reduced when our targets are only 200 to 400 meters away leaving less time to find cover on the more open maps.

#59 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

Started running my 5M LRM Stalker "Freki" yesterday with 2x 15 LRM, 2x 5 LRM + Artemis, Tag, Large Laser in CT,3 MLs, 6 tons of LRM-ammo and 16 DHS and the stock 255 STD engine (enough for support). Works like a charm and I got a 2.67 KDR and won 4 out of the 5 matches I played so far.
I always write "LRM boat Stalker here, please press R often" and I get plenty of solid locks during the game. You just have to communicate with your team because most non LRM/Streak players will simply forget to log in the heat of battle. And yes, I stick with the group and deal most of my LRM damage within 500m.

Edited by Ragnar Darkmane, 26 June 2013 - 07:59 AM.

35 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users