Don't Say "gg" Or (Good Game) If It Wasn't

146 replies to this topic

#41 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

When you blow away some scattered pug team one by one, rolling them up, it's not a good game. Accept that, and learn the definition of competition. No one is looking for little league handshakes, and few, if any, players are millionaires who can always glance at their bank account to remind them that life isn't so bad.

Think to yourself this: If I said this to a person in RL, would they smack me in the face for saying something so stupidly and obviously untrue? If the answer is yes, then don't say it. This is the internet. If you say something stupid, and someone calls you on it, you don't get to invoke ancient rights of sportsmanship that don't exist for this game or this situation.

How many Memphis Grizzlies fans are satisfied right now with getting swept by the Spurs? Oh wait, none of those fans actually played the games, but I'm pretty sure they're not all that emotionally happy with the results.

You see where I'm coming from here?

#42 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostNeverfar, on 28 May 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

It's obviously not "encouraging" if so many people find it condescending. In an 8-0 match, "gg" implies there was something good about the game, which there was not. Even on the winning side, I find the "gg" thing to be stupid. I see nothing sporting in a steamroll, and I think it's rude to the other team to suggest that what they put up with was "good" because of some robotic adherence to etiquette.

I will say something nice if it was truly a good match. It need not be 7-8, but even some 3-8 underdogs who put up a spirited fight deserve a compliment. Saying "gg" for anything less is just smug nonsense.

Notice that it's almost always the WINNING team saying "gg"? Thought so.

The horrible insulting attitude of the people defending the "gg" thing here speaks volumes about how "sportsmanlike" they really are.

I lose more than I win these days.

Still say GG at the end of most matches, more than that if it was truly a "good game," win or lose.

But if you want to believe I am being condescending or whatever, there is little I can do about it.

View PostNeverfar, on 28 May 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

I guess another seal of the apocalypse broke. I'm agreeing with this guy.

Notice who is defending the vapid mandatory "ggs" here? The very same guys who claim it's about "sportsmanship" seem awfully condescending, arrogant, and immature on this thread.

Yet only one side is tossing insults and accusations at the other.

Makes one think...

#43 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

GG

Edited by Sephlock, 28 May 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#44 Talimar1

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

I don't know why gg has become seen as bad. I say GG after every match. It really is about sportsmanship. Not saying gg to me signals nerd rage, like when it is an 8-0 and noone on the losing team says anything. If I get stomped, I still say gg. If I stomp, I say gg, and then people get pissed. I try to have a certain respect for my enemy. I even gg on cap wins where the other team ninja caps us.

Saying GG is much better than not saying anything at all. If you get outplayed, accept it and GG. If you get gg'd, don't get pissed. Just accept you got outplayed, and try to learn from it. A simple GG is nothing to get upset about, nor does it mean that there are hard feelings on either side. A GG is just what you say to not be an *******, and to recognize your opponents abilities, whether good or bad. If you are really only using it for "Good Games" then don't you think the opponent deserves a fully written out "Good Game?" A gg shows respect and acknowledges that there are things that can be learned from. It is not a noobsmasher statement. That would be gg close on a pubstomp :)

#45 Pixelmancer

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

I never say GG. If the other team won then they already know they played well. If my team won then it just sounds patronizing. There's no practical reason to say it. If I say it every game just because that's what I'm supposed to say then it's empty and meaningless. No matter how I look at it I just can't find any good reason to say it.

Edited by Pixelmancer, 28 May 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#46 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

If its 8-0 or similar, gg in main chat is an insult, seriously.

If you want to congratulate people, the sportsmanlike thing to do is say it in team chat which is where i find most people comment if you clean house.

#47 Und3rSc0re

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Team went 8-0, i proceed to go "close game". GG why you gotta be so mad op.

#48 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

http://www.fox8live....ough-handshakes

http://justforthespo...n-of-character/

#49 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

I, like may others, simply hate it when im on the losing team and we get steam rolled and people say GG because i cant help but feel people are just saying "thx for the free cbills" knowing it was only a good game for them and they are mocking me and the rest of my team even if thats not what the person meant it can be hurtful at times, to be completely honest not entirely sure why

its like how natives are saying the name of the Redskins is offensive and should be changed while those that support the name dont see why its offensive, natives feel as though they are being mocked while the team and its owners dont have the proper perspective to understand why

Edited by Just wanna play, 28 May 2013 - 05:45 PM.

#50 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostTraining Instructor, on 28 May 2013 - 02:21 AM, said:

It's just rubbing salt in people's wounds if you roll some team 6-2 or 8-0 and then say "GG" at the end of the match. It wasn't a good game, and you know it. Just say nothing.

To a point, there have been games where it was 3-8 but the winning side was so damaged that only a few well placed shots would have ended it for them..had one where 2 of the stalkers had no weapons and an atlas with no weapons.. it came down to the last 2 mechs with weapons..

#51 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

http://connection.eb...e-purpose-sport

http://www.frontiers..._Handshake!/174

View PostJust wanna play, on 28 May 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

I, like may others, simply hate it when im on the losing team and we get steam rolled and people say GG because i cant help but feel people are just saying "thx for the free cbills" knowing it was only a good game for them and they are mocking me and the rest of my team even if thats not what the person meant it can be hurtful at times, to be completely honest not entirely sure why
I'm going to use that now. Thanks.

#52 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

If we win hard, even if I died I say GG CLOSE... NOT!
If I lose, even if I was first to die I give the team the verbal treatment, so it never happens again.

#53 Pixelmancer

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

Despite my disdain for "GG", I do sometimes say other stuff. Stuff that actually means something and shows I'm actually acknowledging the person rather than parroting a ritual. If someone headshots me from across the map while I was moving I might say "Wow, nice shot!" for example.

#54 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

GG

#55 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

Who knew 2 Letters combined could cause so much QQ.. Oh wait...

#56 Dr B00t

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

sure is a lot of butt-hurt here for receiving a small compliment

sorry your feelings are hurt...good game

seriously if this bugs you...then do yourself the favor and stop using the internet...when i say good game i mean it

Edited by Dr B00t, 28 May 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#57 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostSephlock, on 28 May 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

I'm going to use that now. Thanks.

Sorry if this is breaking a rule or something but...

You *******!!!!!

#58 Talimar1

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

Neverfar, you are upset about a dry robotic statement? Most major sports teams say good game to each other, and in fact it doesn't mean anything. But they still do it and it is looked at as much worse for them NOT to do it. That is the tradition I follow. If someone gets mad that I GG, it doesn't bother me. I do it out of respect. If I really had a fun game that was close, I will let them know and do it specificlly, not just type gg. If you gg only in really good games, then you are a [Richard]. End of story.

What you are essentially saying is that if you had alot of fun and it was a really close match, then you should GG, and nothing else. I prefer to gg when I don't know the people and dont really care. But If there is a really good game, I post specifics with the gg. GG is the minimum, and people who dont say it either aren't paying attention or are ********. I would rather someone gg me than to not say anything, which is what you are proposing. GG helps to foster community, and we can't help if people take it wrong and dont know the context.

#59 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

View PostKraven Kor, on 28 May 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

Still say GG at the end of most matches, more than that if it was truly a "good game," win or lose.

You say GG after most matches and more than "GG" if it was actually a good game - I am confused what does "GG" mean if not "good game"? Why would it mean 'good game' if you have others things to say in instances of actual good games? Why do you say "GG" if it doesn't meet your standard of a good game?
Why?

#60 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

View PostNeverfar, on 28 May 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

This is EXACTLY why the "GG" proponents are hurting their own case. This kind of attitude.

How exactly is it a compliment if you robotically say it and expect to receive it no matter the outcome?

Bingo

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users