Yen-Lo-Wang Worth It?

60 replies to this topic

#1 J I N

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:39 AM

Hi,
I started playing CN9s yesterday to get mastery for Mediums... my 4SP is waiting ^_^ (after mastering Spider, Raven, Catapult and Jagermech)
The AI works quite good for me and I will get the A as my second one.
The kind of Centurion I want to keep is something with a big ballistic weapon, because I have all other kinds of mechs.

My first idea was this: CN9-A Gauss 2xML
It has medium range, enought speed and should be able to backup the team, but i haven't used a gauss in this game yet... so I'm not sure if it will be that good.

The other idea is a typical YEN-LO-WANG AC20 2xML build.
I wanted to play with an AC20 for a long time, but i didn't want an AC40 Jager or torso mounted guns... it should be able to play the same role as the one above, so the main issue is the price.
I have got 4k MC left and won't get any more in the next months.
So the question is: is the YLW worth spending my last MC on it to use an AC20 and not a Gauss?

Thanks for your advice :)

#2 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:46 AM

I wouldnt buy YLW just for the AC20 capacity, basically you dont buy a hero mech for its loadout but rather you buy a hero variant of a chassy you enjoy to combine fun with 30% cbill boost into a unholy spawn that will let you comfortably fill up your mech bays with other CN9s and afford to buy equipment for different builds. (that crap adds up to ALOT especially with modules thrown in and XL engines if thats your fancy)

Or also if you REALLY liked the novels where Justin and Kai used that mech and want to fanboy it up :)

#3 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:52 AM

Well... it's hard to say. I regretted buying the YLW for a long time, but it's definitely forced me to be a better player. Sometimes, it's fun to work around limitations and try to make use of special advantages. To be fair, I don't even use an AC20 on the YLW, I use a Gauss + ER large laser. And I don't use size 300 engine, which is another advantage the YLW has (although you get that with the CN9-D anyway). In order to use a size 300 engine, you need to either use a smaller weapon or an XL engine. And for me, the whole point of the YLW is that you have no weapons in the left torso or left arm, so I always use those as shields. I never die without having lost those two parts first. The main advantage other than the AC20, though, is the 120 degree torso twist. Which is nice as hell.

Would I recommend buying it? Well, only if you really like the camo scheme and like Centurions. I don't regret buying mine, but if I could sell it back for the same amount of MC, I would definitely consider that.

I have some suggestions in this thread, if don't mind me tooting my own horn.

#4 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts
  • LocationRainham, Kent UK

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:00 AM

I LOVE the YLW. I run an XL300 1xAC20, 2xML build and play a hit n run support skirmisher role. With that build and speed tweak, you're running around at 106kph and imo makes it a much more viable small, mobile AC20 platform than the HBK-4G, despite being 1xML less.

You will lose if you're fighting 1v1 circle strafes, but that's not where this mech shines.

#5 MrTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 242 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:17 AM

The YLW was the first Hero mech, and also my first cent. What you need to ask yourself is this; Does it suit my fighting style?

it is a simple build for a great striker mech. Run in, do 25 points of damage, run out.

The Extra C-bills are a bonus too!

#6 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:41 AM

me and YLW .... its a love affair. This baby teaches u to flank, AIM, making ur shots count, evrything u need and most importand it teaches u to wait till the time is right. when the enemy assaults are glowing red thats when u shine. its the perfect kill stealer !

u can turn the tide of a whole battle in a wang. just show up behind the enemy lines and see them turn arround ( no one wants an ac/20 to his rear torso) and if they dont turn arround...
and with his 2 medium lasers in the ct he can zombi arround till the game is over. the YLW got last man standing written all over him so even if u loose its gonna be a great last stand !

p.s. and its 100% Chesse free !!!

#7 PickleM0nster

• PipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 24 posts
  • LocationScotland ,UK

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

I have to agree 100% with LordDante
.i love my YLW .
Having mastered 3 cents its the one i play the most.. Although i refuse to run any cent with an XL engine.

#8 ImagineDwagons

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 81 posts
  • LocationKiev

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

I am not a novel's fun and despite that I play since closed beta I have bought it recently. I always thought that it is piece of junk since 80 % of its firepower is in one big hand which is appears to be true until you know how to use YLW properly, so I would not recommend it for beginners. From other hand combination of great mobility and high DPS of AC20 makes this mech really unique and in hands of veteran player this mech shines even now, during long range PPC era. It is very responsive and I receive a lot of fun when I pilot it. I regret only that I have not tried it early.

Edited by EvgenS, 28 May 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#9 J I N

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

The YLW seems to be unique and quite useful, but I'm not sure if it is much different from other Centurions....
The D can handle double AC5, which I would prefer instead of double UAC5. The only advantage for me is the AC20 and the CB boost... but I would loose the option to use Rockets.

I don't think that it will be that useful for me to spend real money for the YLW, if I can buy the other CN9s for CB and in fact more bays to keep the mechs I buy.
... maybe some day in the far future I will drive a fast mech with an AC20 in it's arm. ;-D

Does anyone have an advice for the idea to use a Gauss instead of an AC20? :rolleyes:

Thank you very much guys! ;)

PS: Now I have to search for good A and D builds...^^

#10 Yig

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

I started with A and AL before buying a Wang.

I quite enjoy it.

I use a STD engine, DHS, endo and 4t of ammo for the AC20.

#11 JP Alpha

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

I love my YLW, but my favorite Cent is the D model, fitted out with XL300, Gauss, 2 ML, and 2 Streaks. Same fit but slightly slower can be done on the A.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d7a6d706f898b56

#12 Yig

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

Here is mine.

YEN-LO-WANG

#13 Inkarnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

YLW is a ton of fun in Bro Wang drops
as single bushwacker he can fight good put isnt
that much fun ^^

#14 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Its a centurion with a different (some what more ballistic oriented) flavor then other cents and has cbill boosts to reward your love for them
its not really better or worse then other variants, if you like it just depends on if its specialization is or isnt for you, really all variants of every mech are just that, variants (except stalker 4n, pretty sure thats just a downgraded 3F, sorry to say it , and i did play the trial a whole lot and got 17k exp in it, but its true)
also it can mount 2 uac5s, 1 ac20, or 1 lbx10 and an ac5 (very versatile, loads of fun for ballistic guys)

#15 heleqin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

i love the Yen Lo Wang, its incredibly fun to play. I have mastered the Wang, the A and the AL, i kept the Wang and the A, sold the AL. The limited ammo count and long cycle time of the AC 20 force you to make every shot count, i find i just play better when i run the Wang, it has my best K/D ratio. i thought i'd miss the missile hardpoints from the A and AL, but i really don't need them, the AC20's punch more than makes up for their loss.

i run mine with std armor, endo, DHS, 1 Mlas, 1 MPL, an XL300, the AC 20 and 5 tons of ammo, its just about perfect.

#16 Aegic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Yes it is worth it.

#17 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Out of all my Centurions I had most fun with my Wang. By the way I run typical STD250+Endo+FF, AC20+2ML loadout.

Enough of how practical Wang could be, let's talk about the fun part. During my brief Wang-mania period I would just charge straight into enemy field, pick a random medium/heavy, unload as much AC20 rounds onto it as possible - which is usually enough for a kill, considering how ferociously survivable Wang is thanks to its LT+LA megashield. And then I either come back as a zombie, or I die.

If you're considering developing Centurion tree, then for fu*k's sake get a Wang.

#18 Murasama

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

When I first bought the YLW I thought it was a piece of junk. I swapped out the med lasers for medium pulses and put in an XL engine and it's made a world of difference. So much so that I'm thinking about putting XL's in my other Cents as well.

#19 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:14 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5ce1a96e0141c87

Build I use, pretty easy 2+ kdr build have had a bunch of 800+ dmg games. Hope you find a build that works for you.

#20 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:21 AM

the ladies like it when i take my wang out. if your into that kind of thing, then sure its worth it.

Edited by King Arthur IV, 29 May 2013 - 04:21 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users