• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationAlpenfestung

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

This is my Wang and I love waving it in front of Stalkers. ^^

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e09b9083252a56f

Edited by DLFReporter, 29 May 2013 - 04:31 AM.

#22 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:40 AM

Wang has quite a few advantages over a HBK-4G if you want an AC20 in a medium:

1. Better range of engines to choose from
2. Vertical travel on the arm means you can attack from above/below (sooooo useful)
3. Zombies like a pro with the CT lasers
4. Has a massive shield arm
5. ...and a mohawk

It is a very fun mech and one that teaches you many valuable lessons.

#23 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

Its the best mech imo.

Spoiler

#24 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

Why not just put a gauss on A model and save yourself the money while having more build options? I don't get the fascination with AC20, it's so slow that you never hit where you want with it.

#25 heleqin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

View PostTahribator, on 29 May 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

Why not just put a gauss on A model and save yourself the money while having more build options? I don't get the fascination with AC20, it's so slow that you never hit where you want with it.

the round is slow, yes, once you're used to it though, its just as easy to shoot as any other ballistic. i don't pull it off very often, but once you hit the zone, there's nothing like pasting a 140 kph light pilot who's passing you sideways at 250 meters with a perfectly timed shot.

shooting the ac20 is just a more visceral experience, there's the bang, the cockpit shake from the recoil, and then the cringe from the other guy's mech you just pounded. the gauss doesn't have that. i like gauss rifles, good damage, great range, its like hitting the other guy with a truck from the other side of the map, but other than the poof of sparks and the flashing armor indicator he hardly realizes he got hit. its just not as much fun as the ac20

Edited by heleqin, 03 June 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#26 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostJIN1987, on 28 May 2013 - 02:39 AM, said:

Hi,
I started playing CN9s yesterday to get mastery for Mediums... my 4SP is waiting :P (after mastering Spider, Raven, Catapult and Jagermech)
The AI works quite good for me and I will get the A as my second one.
The kind of Centurion I want to keep is something with a big ballistic weapon, because I have all other kinds of mechs.

My first idea was this: CN9-A Gauss 2xML
It has medium range, enought speed and should be able to backup the team, but i haven't used a gauss in this game yet... so I'm not sure if it will be that good.

The other idea is a typical YEN-LO-WANG AC20 2xML build.
I wanted to play with an AC20 for a long time, but i didn't want an AC40 Jager or torso mounted guns... it should be able to play the same role as the one above, so the main issue is the price.
I have got 4k MC left and won't get any more in the next months.
So the question is: is the YLW worth spending my last MC on it to use an AC20 and not a Gauss?

Thanks for your advice ;)

When the Wangs first came out:

Video's highlight.

Although personally I favor the CN9-AH which also could use an AC/20. Instead of lasers it had missiles. 3 ballistic, 2 missile, no energy. It was slower, however. I like both mechs. Just wish the Wang didn't replace the AH.

#27 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

I just grabbed a YLW when it was on sale, and I've loved it.

I'm basically been using a tweaked stock version - adding FF, ES and DHS, swapping out the engine for a STD250, and adding a ton of AC ammo.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...196160d0daa0389

I only have 20 matches in it so far, and about a 1:1 KDR, but it's really been my favorite mech of late. The AC/20 just feels fantastic - it has earned me a lot of component destructions and kills. The twin ML backup is kind of weak, but I feel that any thing I'd strip to upgrade the MLs would do more harm than good.

And someone made the comment about the AC/20 being difficult to hit with - I disagree. With HSR it's actually quite nice, and I'm currently running a 75% hit with it. The key thing that I've found is to spam the MLs, but to make your AC/20 shots count. Even with 4 tons of ammo, that's only 28 shots.

#28 Varrec Michaels

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that the YLW, when mastered, has 4 module slots. I was just looking at buying a Hero mech for the C-bill bonus, and the extra module slot was a point that swung my decision towards YLW.

I run the XL300/AC20/2ML build as a harasser, and I do alright (I'll be the first to admit I'm not a great player), but it really shines when I'm dropping with some friends. We'll usually drop with 2 X5's, a Raven 3L for ECM coverage, and my YLW. With speed tweak and the XL300, I *almost* keep up with them. Usually they get ahead of me and start capping, which causes 1 or 2 of the enemy lights to turn back and engage them, and then I run up behind and am the hammer to their anvil. ;)

#29 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostJungle Rhino, on 29 May 2013 - 04:40 AM, said:

Wang has quite a few advantages over a HBK-4G if you want an AC20 in a medium:

1. Better range of engines to choose from
2. Vertical travel on the arm means you can attack from above/below (sooooo useful)
3. Zombies like a pro with the CT lasers
4. Has a massive shield arm
5. ...and a mohawk

It is a very fun mech and one that teaches you many valuable lessons.

What he said! I love AC20s on my mechs so that's one reason too. Plus that arms ability to shoot down or up is huge compared to my Hunchback limitations. I don't regret buying it recently when it was on sale.

Edited by WANTED, 30 May 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#30 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

also forgot to mention, along with what i said earlier, the wang also has better torso twist then other cents (i believe 20 more degrees of movement) same as the hunchback

#31 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

loving mine, even with bad map drops im sitting at 1.5:1 k:d which is great for such a limited loadout,i havent changed a thing on it other than dhs and endo, so i could add more ammo.

Also got the cn a and cn d, struggling with the speed on the d as i have got so used to shadowing assaults, i keep running off and getting killed.

Been a heap of fun and the YLW is worth it imo.

#32 thepartisan

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:56 AM

View PostJIN1987, on 28 May 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

The YLW seems to be unique and quite useful, but I'm not sure if it is much different from other Centurions....
The D can handle double AC5, which I would prefer instead of double UAC5. The only advantage for me is the AC20 and the CB boost... but I would loose the option to use Rockets.

I don't think that it will be that useful for me to spend real money for the YLW, if I can buy the other CN9s for CB and in fact more bays to keep the mechs I buy.
... maybe some day in the far future I will drive a fast mech with an AC20 in it's arm. ;-D

Does anyone have an advice for the idea to use a Gauss instead of an AC20? <_<

Thank you very much guys! :(

PS: Now I have to search for good A and D builds...^^

The rockets aren't worth it in my opinion. It means less ammo for your AC/Gauss and you have a torso with weapons in it that you will always be unsure of losing when using that shield arm. The YLW solves that problem in one go. Thus you have something that can take a bit more damage and still fork out with that AC/20. I run one in zombie build and with 5 tons of ammo for the AC/20 and enough DHS I rarely stay out of a fight for long. My average damage in this mech went in the region of 450-550

#33 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostTahribator, on 29 May 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

The AC20 is awesome. In a typical match running my 4G(F) with the AC20, whenever I am attacking an assault with one or two teammates in either heavies or assaults, the target will usually try to kill me instead of focusing on the larger and deadlier larger mechs

The YLW in the right hands is a beast to be avoided, so, yea, good purchase if you have to have just one Centurion.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 01 June 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#34 Laniarty

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 67 posts
  • LocationBNE, Australia

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

The interesting thing I've found when playing my YLW is that people are quick to dismiss it as a non threat, and will fire at what they think is a more dangerous target. I can't tell you how many times I've back cored someone because of that.

#35 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

Only worth it if one is willing to be reliant on the AC20 builds (or Gauss to a moderately lesser degree) in my opinion.

Incidentally, I do better in it than any of my other Cents, including the SRM Zombie but that might well change of short range missiles are ever balanced by PGI.

#36 Yig

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostLaniarty, on 01 June 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

The interesting thing I've found when playing my YLW is that people are quick to dismiss it as a non threat, and will fire at what they think is a more dangerous target. I can't tell you how many times I've back cored someone because of that.

Agreed. My favorite was when an Atlas looked at me and decided to turn his back to me to fire at something bigger. Had time to shoot him a few times in the back before he finally turned to face me.

#37 Flashback37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

View PostJames DeGriz, on 28 May 2013 - 03:00 AM, said:

I LOVE the YLW. I run an XL300 1xAC20, 2xML build and play a hit n run support skirmisher role. With that build and speed tweak, you're running around at 106kph and imo makes it a much more viable small, mobile AC20 platform than the HBK-4G, despite being 1xML less.

You will lose if you're fighting 1v1 circle strafes, but that's not where this mech shines.

I agree with everything but the last part. I've taken on and beaten 2 spiders at once. If you can get in a 1v1 with an assault you've got a good chance against him too.
I run Yen -Lo about 70% of the time and almost always have scores in the top 4. (I pug exclusively)
Yen-Lo is underrated in my opinion.

#38 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

It really depends on whether or not you like that particular chassis. Being a Centurion fan, I have the CN9-A and CN9-AL both at elite still getting those pilot skills done.

Since I enjoyed Centurions, getting the YLW satisfied my appeasement for them.

The YLW also taught me how to torso twist and I have been protecting my right arm ever since. I go as far as lose my right arm and right torsos until I run out of ammo.

#39 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:19 AM

View PostBudor, on 29 May 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

Its the best mech imo.

Spoiler

ill bow to ur exelence ! GZ ! :D

#40 Vincent Lynch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:54 AM

The YLW is the only Hero Mech I ever bought and I'm glad I bought it.
It might not offer a lot of build options, but it's absolutely fun to play even with the original loadout!
I put a 280 XL in it, 4 tons of ammo, and 12 DHS. With this loadout it almost never overheats and runs about 100 kph with Speed Tweak.
With this loadout I can do stuff like, firing 3 AC20 rounds in the back of a Stalker and then disappear behind buildings before the Stalker even has turned around. :D
Also, the AC20 placed in the arm, it gets shot off easier but is also much easier to aim than, for example, the HBK-3G's torso-mounted AC20. This is also why speed is important for the YLW, because that will make it more difficult for any enemy to target specific hitboxes.
Note specifically that the YLW is currently the fastest way to haul an AC20 around in this game while still mounting a decent amount of armor. (The Cicada, TBT-7K and Flame are all capable of mounting a AC20 and running faster, but to do this they would have to drop most of their armor because they can't combine the AC20 with an XL engine; all other Mechs which can mount an AC20 would be slower with it.)
If you prefer not to mount an XL engine in the first place, a HBK-4G, HBK-4H, or TBT-7K make more sense though, because they have more hardpoints.

Edit: I forgot to add, if you want to carry a Gauss instead, a Hunchback would also be better, because the higher hardpoint makes sniping easier than on a YLW. I compared that myself because I have a HBK-4H with a Gauss.

Edited by Vincent Lynch, 03 June 2013 - 02:57 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users