Reached #61 On The Leaderboard Using Hexa Mg J-Dd. This Is My Comprehensive Guide And Feedback

48 replies to this topic

#41 Alternate22

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostHRR Mary, on 30 May 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

Just a clarification, given your playtime, you are not facing the best opposition. I am playing both at EU time, and US time, and the competition is much, much, more fierce on average in US time.

On average I placed 35-50 in the previous 7-day tournament during EU time, only to be pushed back to 150-300 while playing US time.

I managed to reach around #11 at the highest before I got pushed down to 61 eventually as the US folks came in. So not sure what that's worth, probably nothing.

As a note, I have finished and updated 26 matches now with nothing but machine guns and flamers. You can find my collated data and notes on each match here:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Progress is unfortunately slow due to the disconnect issue, but as my weekend has just started, I may be able to reach halfway to 100 soon at least.

@Hayashi: Many thanks and much appreciated!

@Jigglymoobs: Yes. I try it, but if you'll see up in the notes section I'm finding a significant disconnect between the precision of the machine guns in the training grounds (where I practice headshots) and that of live matches with 250+ ping. The cone of fire seems to be wider in the latter, making this a difficult endeavor (not to mention the fire rate is significantly slower).

#42 Ursus_Spiritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 292 posts
  • LocationDecrypting your Authentication codes.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:00 AM

Deviate to 315XL, 2x Large Pls, 6x MGs

Coolrun mech skill: YES
Heatcontainment mech skill: YES
Elite mech skill level unlocked: YES
Maximal possible dps 9.80 dmg/s
Sustained dps (without overheating) 8.90 dmg/s
Heat generation 3.65 heat/s
Cooling Efficiency 82%
Heat capacity 68.40
Dissipation 3.11 heat/s
Approximate time to overheat 02:05

Armor400
Firepower 20.48
Max sustained DPS 8.15 max 9.80
Cooling Efficiency 67% max 100%
XL ENGINE 315 78.5 kph (Speed Tweak) 86.4 kph
Heatsinks 14 (Double)

LRG PLS LSR x2
MACHINE GUN x6
AMS AMMO 1ton
MACHINE GUN AMMO 12000

Armor: Standard
Structure Standard
Heatsinks Double

Edited by 8100d 5p4tt3r, 31 May 2013 - 05:08 AM.

#43 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:28 AM

An interesting read. I enjoy threads that try to go a bit more indepth.

#44 MistenTH

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:51 AM

You sir are an inspiration.

#45 Sudden Reversal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:50 AM

View PostMistenTH, on 01 June 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

You sir are an inspiration.

Damn straight. I think I saw this fella one night fighting in the valley with little old me being the only other mech on the other side of the map. Was doing great against terrible odds.

Ever since I have been playing around with this config and was just about to try the 2xERLarge after testing with 2xERPPC as back up.

I do find myself being targeted overly much, like I have a big fat red bullseye on my mech. Agree that the playstyle is the key to unlocking this configs potential.

Still working on that aspect.

#46 Gaan Cathal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostAlternate22, on 28 May 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

When should I NOT use a machine gun?
* If you go faster than 100 KPH (more on this later)

Not that I necessarily disagree, but I can't find the 'more on this' in your post.

#47 Doctor Proctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 343 posts
  • LocationSouth Suburbs of Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

I don't think this needs a buff at all. For the second time now I've had an MG Jager sneak up behind me while on Tourmaline that I couldn't shake. Both times I was running my CPLT-K2 with a 300XL engine, and yet couldn't shake him. Also both times the sheer DPS that a build like that can put out (the second actually had 4MG and I think a couple AC/5's) completely overwhelm my mech with basically no ability to get away from it.

Since I can't fire exactly 180 degrees behind me it's rather difficult to get a really good bead on him to aim for specific spots, whereas he just has to pour everything he has into my sides and back to kill me (2:1 ration of front to back armor, full armor all over since I have the weight for it). Even if I could hit specific spots though and try to headshot/core/disable weapons, the crit seeking nature of the MG's typically means that half my weapons are toast before I can even get his armor to turn yellow. Not to mention that with almost any loadout I'll overheat LONG before he does.

In fact, in the last engagement a Centurion from my team was even running behind the Jager shooting him in the back as I was torso twisting around to shoot his front. Even with TWO mechs firing on him, his DPS was easily able to take me down before any of his armor was destroyed.

I'm not saying that MG's are OP yet...just that definitely don't need a buff. I mean, sure, it would be great if I could mount a couple onto my K2 and actually have them do something worth extra weight and slots they take up compared to lasers, but any buffing will be compounded in the builds that boat them. Just like how a single AC/20 is a little scary, whereas AC/40's can frequently one shot mechs in the back (even Heavies if they're lucky).

#48 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PostDoctor Proctor, on 22 June 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

I don't think this needs a buff at all. For the second time now I've had an MG Jager sneak up behind me while on Tourmaline that I couldn't shake. Both times I was running my CPLT-K2 with a 300XL engine, and yet couldn't shake him. Also both times the sheer DPS that a build like that can put out (the second actually had 4MG and I think a couple AC/5's) completely overwhelm my mech with basically no ability to get away from it.

Since I can't fire exactly 180 degrees behind me it's rather difficult to get a really good bead on him to aim for specific spots, whereas he just has to pour everything he has into my sides and back to kill me (2:1 ration of front to back armor, full armor all over since I have the weight for it). Even if I could hit specific spots though and try to headshot/core/disable weapons, the crit seeking nature of the MG's typically means that half my weapons are toast before I can even get his armor to turn yellow. Not to mention that with almost any loadout I'll overheat LONG before he does.

In fact, in the last engagement a Centurion from my team was even running behind the Jager shooting him in the back as I was torso twisting around to shoot his front. Even with TWO mechs firing on him, his DPS was easily able to take me down before any of his armor was destroyed.

I'm not saying that MG's are OP yet...just that definitely don't need a buff. I mean, sure, it would be great if I could mount a couple onto my K2 and actually have them do something worth extra weight and slots they take up compared to lasers, but any buffing will be compounded in the builds that boat them. Just like how a single AC/20 is a little scary, whereas AC/40's can frequently one shot mechs in the back (even Heavies if they're lucky).

This may have been me, but I am not sure. My loadout for my DD is 4 MG, 2 UAC5. XL300, and up until very recently, a LPL and a ML. (those two had the same range, and i could not find tonnage for 2 LL) I have altered this to 2 MPL now, and added DHS and another ton of UAC5 ammo with the free weight. The loadout is frightening in a brawl to most, even assaults tend to back off or start to twist away from the amount of stuff hitting them.

Unfortunatly, my ping fluctuates. As such, my hit detection also fluctuates. Hitscan and multihit weapons suffer worst from the detection bugs. 4DPS(or 6 in the OP case) is nothing to sneeze at. Right now, MG are percieved as total crap, but IMO somewhere between 30-50% of MG dmg(at least for me) is not registering on my foe(but it does in stats at end of match)

When it does register, it is pretty wicked. I have wrecked people before, one match in tourmaline I was spent on ammo and nearly destroyed as one of the last 2 mechs standing(2 on 2 at end of match) and accrued almost 700 dmg and got 6 kills and 1 assist. Not to shabby for a non cheese jager IMO. In that match, MG hits all registered(or mostly all, it was noticably effective vs normal matches for me), and people's armor vaporized under combined fire from close range(had the LPL at that time also).

It is also crazy fun. MG sounds and effects are just so well done IMO, and sound especially badass in a group of 4 or more.

MG, like most everything else, are going to play....differently.... when hit detection gets fixed to register 100% of dmg, 100% of the time.

#49 MegaZordTrololo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:57 AM

Why are people claiming this thread endorses machine guns as viable?

Alternate22 is saying is that machine guns are viable in the fringe case of the JM6-DD, he then goes on to say why mech's other than this variant can't really make MG's work. All his points are accurate; his emphasis on the JM6-DD is important, it has the capacity to be abusive if MG's are buffed too far. Just as the Stalker brings out the worst (imbalance) in any energy or missile weapons.

Good work Alternate22, I'm glad Garth has passed this on.

Edited by MegaZordTrololo, 02 July 2013 - 01:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users