Under appreciated mechs

149 replies to this topic

#61 Hykelion

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

Hatchetman due to its lack of appearance in the video games, resulting in a lot of people who don't know why melee is a useful mechanic in the table top. Also, I'm a bit of a fanboy for the old 'mech.

Overall, though, I give it to the OST series. Really dangerous little mechs that the world seems to hate for some reason (other than being unseen).

#62 TKG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe Sandhills of NC

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

as for underappreciated I'd throw in the lancelot for the following reasons:

1. it started off with terrible TRO Art.
2. When your suffering tonnage limits but need a energy battery mech it's ligher then the comparable black knight and flashman at 60 to their 75 tons a peice.
3. Out of the box it's a agile mech with decent armor, faster then it's direct competitors.
4. Using these units in a static defencive role for holding territory and supporting a slowly advancing line when you cant afford an awesome tends to be critical as it performs as it performs a similar role with less of a cost and a visible feild presence.

Yes it's not a pretty mech but it is agile decently protected and capable, I'll leave the jumpjet ability to other mechs though.

#63 Bjarnulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 175 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:02 PM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 08 June 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

The Annihilator

Aye.
ok its a bt slow, but punches pretty holes^^
esp. the clan version earns its name.(and if you don´t like the ac´s take a ER-pep or one gauss and ER-Laser)
ah, and thanks guys, now my gamers will get the hells gate open next round XD

#64 Mourning Light

• Pip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:12 PM

Ive been playing Battletech ever since it was a fledgling PnP game. Through my many years of playing the game I have seen how most of the mechs created work in different situations and have from time to time made my own. The following is a list of Mechs that I think are under appreciated.

MHL-X1 Marshal
Sure I know its a Periphery design but please, its a workhorse that can take a beating and keep on coming for more.

RJN101-A Raijin
All around all in one support piece for troops armor & mechs

BTZ-3F Blitzkrieg
Ultra AC/20 plus great speed, get a couple of lances of these in a major city and you are going away bloody

LCT-1V Locust (5T Variant)
Though one of the most common mech in the Inner Sphere and beyond the 5T variant is an infantry nightmare. Couple them with the Blitzkrieg and you have just made your city that much more secure.

QKD-4G Quickdraw
Though lightly armed for a heavy, the Quickdraw can be utilized wherever needed as a support piece or as a harraser, also again, urban fighting makes it dangerous (yeah, Im an urban warfare kinda guy)

UM-R60 UrbanMech
Yes the old R2-D2 trashcan. Many people talk about using them and or make snide comments regarding the mech but come on, in any closed in area this loveable walking pepsi cola billboard can easily go toe to toe with larger mechs (unless they are using an Atlas, then its time to kick for the extra point)

OTT-7J Ostscout (OTT-9S Variant)
Fast, TAG, beagle probe & ecm package if there is a better scouting platform it must be made of solid platnum and fire jelly donuts out its rear exhaust ports.

RFL-3N Rifleman
Harmony Gold be damned, the sillouette of the original art mech alone screams "Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?" All around great long rangle support vehicle.

BNDR-01A Bandersnatch
*giggle at name* Even with a name like that, the heavy support this chassis brings is heart stopping, thrice times LRMs, 2 ACs and 6 medium lasers, it screams "Come at me bro!"

And that is my list off the top of my head, read, digest, enjoy

#65 DerMaulwurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationPotato Tier

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:21 AM

View PostAdamantVallation, on 08 June 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

This question is a bit more in-depth that it seems. The answer would really depend on if your talking FPS, RTS, or TT.

From the prospective of the TT, some mechs are WAY under valued, the poor old locust as way mentioned, is GREAT when trying to suppress a rebellion, put down infantry or light vehicles, or control a population, and with a comms package, could be used as a portable repeater to extend como radius. Same with the aforementioned Urbanmech, in city combat against other NON mech opponents its teriffic, and in dense city where foot speed means little, its good against other light mechs and some mediums too.

But my first mech love is the classic Marauder, it was a great mech, its twin PPC/medium laser arms, with the AC/5 to compliment, it was excellent, but some of the variants were even better, and with some custom mods, it was truly a killing machine.

An honorable mention for me is also the Phoenix Hawk, iconic from the old days, it was a great blend, of speed, weapons, armor, took a bit of skill to figure out how to blend them the best, but it has the tools for nearly any situation.

Marauder and "under appreciated" in the same sentence? Does not compute.

#66 akaChrisHimself

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 292 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:46 AM

The Champion. Champions need love too.

#67 martius

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:59 AM

Ok- talking 3025 to 3050 here:

Withworth. Solid LRM support Mech. I take it over a Dervish or Trebuchet every time.

Quickdraw. A commander's ride. Not dangerous enouh to draw fire, mobile enough to project force where it is needed to support other units.

#68 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

I'd like to add the Cerberus to the list and the Malice.
The former has artwork done to it that does not do it enough credit IMHO.
The latter is from MWDA and although classic in appearance (and not too shabby by the looks of it) has as much chance to grace MW:O as an unseen.

#69 Weatherman

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 87 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:17 AM

Grasshopper. I like its maneuverability for a large mech while still retaining some hitting power. Especially after you add in an XL engine, then it gets fun.

#70 Easy 8

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:36 AM

I'd say the Ostsol is pretty underappreciated. I got laughed at for selecting the 6D variant for a tournament...until I punched a Charger in the head and dropped it like a brick...go, go TSMs. Two other ones come to mind also, the Enforcer doesn't seem to get a lot of love and I piloted one for two years in TT/MW. In one mission I dropped a Pouncer and a Goshawk solo, then helped take out a Linebacker. In a second mission I used it to kill a Catapault, Phoenix Hawk and a Clint, almost made the guy running the scenarios cry. For a 50 tonner, it can dish out damage. The other is the Dragon Fire, which again was thought of as a useless mech because of its lack of mobility. I recently ran some WoBbies against our mercenary unit and used it to take out a Ryoken and a Hatamoto-Chi, and deal quite a bit of damage to several other mechs. Nobody laughed at it after that.

#71 trycksh0t

• Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:38 AM

Ohh...good catch Mourning Light, completely forgot about the Bandersnatch. I haven't had teh pleasure of riding in one myself, but just looking at it I wouldn't want to meet one. That's nasty.

#72 Murphy7

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

View PostWeatherman, on 09 June 2012 - 02:17 AM, said:

Grasshopper. I like its maneuverability for a large mech while still retaining some hitting power. Especially after you add in an XL engine, then it gets fun.

Underappreciated? This thing is a nightmare, especially in an urban environment and if you have a prediliction for pugilism.

Your Large Laser and Medium Lasers are all located on the torsos, just a plain mean infighter with good maneuverability.

#73 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

Locust

first mech I was ever in
yet it gets outshined by Jenners, Ravens and pretty much everything else light

It holds a special place for me anyway

What mech was it... this may be a hard one, that had heavier armor in one arm than the other and said in the tech manual that is was introduced in that pilots didnt like it cause it was awkward?

Then again there was never any RULE for that lol

Edited by 514yer, 09 June 2012 - 07:48 AM.

#74 Fahr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 114 posts
  • LocationBeeville, Tx

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

I agree with the OST series meks, I love and OTL-4D 5/8 runner, with all it's guns in the torso, and some rear harrasers, it's a ZOMBIE mek, you can shoot the arms off, and it'll still come after you, I have won games with an OST that had 1 arm, no legs and no armor, but it was still firiing 2 LL a round, and the setup (2LL 2ML and 2ML rear with 16 Heat sinks) lets you fire 2 LL, then 1LL, 2xML repeat forever... it's a decently armored mek as well.. I like me my OSTs.

#75 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

View PostFahr, on 09 June 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

I agree with the OST series meks, I love and OTL-4D 5/8 runner, with all it's guns in the torso, and some rear harrasers, it's a ZOMBIE mek, you can shoot the arms off, and it'll still come after you, I have won games with an OST that had 1 arm, no legs and no armor, but it was still firiing 2 LL a round, and the setup (2LL 2ML and 2ML rear with 16 Heat sinks) lets you fire 2 LL, then 1LL, 2xML repeat forever... it's a decently armored mek as well.. I like me my OSTs.

Sounds very much like the LBX50 Thor from MW4 ^^
You may lose the arms quickly, but the LBX10 and laser/s still kept fragging stuff =)

#76 docmorningstar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

View PostKip Wilson, on 08 June 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

Assassin. Most people hate the thing but its really an awesome little ride. I play it every chance i get and i look forward to it being in MWO at some point.

At the same time I think the Vulcan gets way to little love. Its one of the only designs that an AC2 really belongs. sure you could replace it with say a large laser or ppc or missile system but the ac2 combined with the vulcans speed allows it to stay out out enemy range while plinking away all day long.

As for the Urbie, i play it as well and let me tell you, there is no other 'mech that has ever been designed specifically to take on 'mechs twice its weight or heavier. Urbie was designed specifically for that and it doesnt do a half bad job at it.

The assassin is an awesome ride - the mech is blazing fast, can harrass with LRM fire, and when you get the opportunity is a beautifull backstabber.

Vulcan...is meh to me... I don't mind it's payload, but I don't love it.

turbie is sexy - just like you said, it is a 30 tonner designed to make medium mechs nervous. The AC/10 version chews big holes into any light in range, and the AC20 is death on a stick for any mech it ever has to face.

My other candidates would have to be the BNC-3E (if physicals exist) or the striker. Neither of those mechs has a very good weapons payload, but they have gobs of armor, nice speed, and are just about impossible to put down for the count.

The Jagermech is another favorite of mine - just because he is so cheap to field, and has a 13 point kick

and finally - the stock grasshopper is a brutal brawler; swap the LRM for a SRM with inferno rounds and you have a nasty, nasty mech

Edited by docmorningstar, 09 June 2012 - 08:38 AM.

#77 Daetrin Voltari

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 09 June 2012 - 08:09 AM, said:

Sounds very much like the LBX50 Thor from MW4 ^^
You may lose the arms quickly, but the LBX10 and laser/s still kept fragging stuff =)

It's not so much that you can lose the arms, it's that there is no quick kill against the Ostsol. With no ammo there is no ammo explosion, and with no XL engine you have to destroy the head or the center torso to really kill it.

The Grasshopper 5N is even worse. It loses the LRM 5 and large lasers for another medium laser and a ppc. Even if you blow off both side torsos (which at 35 pts of armor/structure each is not that easy in the Succession Wars) it will still keep coming. And with a medium laser in the head it'll still keep shooting just to **** you off. Add to that jump jets and enough heat sinks to put it within 3 points of heat stable and the Grasshopper 5N is tailor made to ruin anyone's day.

The Thor you mentioned misses out on the key criteria for a zombie mech. It can run out of ammo, the ammo can explode, and it has an XL engine (though being clan, one torso lost isn't an insta-kill it still cripples the mech and violates the zombie principle)

I think part of the early Ost hate was the foul up with the art. In the old 3025 TRO a layout issue swapped the art for the Ostscout and the Ostsol and used variant art for the Ostroc that didn't match it's stats. The Ostsol is still one of my favorites though. It's the ugly little egg shaped mech......of DOOM.

#78 StriplingWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 126 posts
  • LocationBarony of Gryphon's Lair, Kingdom of Artemesia

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

I have always been a fan of the Hollander, even prime I like it. It has enough punch to really ruin the day of anyone mixing it up with the heavies

View PostGorbash, on 07 June 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

Also, just an aside, captain fabulous, I want you on my team in a neon lavender hussar, every match, I NEED a neon lavender hussar running point/scout for me, think of the demoralizing effect on the enemy!...
...-And they all burn under the guns of my strategically placed and well camo'd stalker that's been hiding, you will lead them right next to me, powered down in a lake the whole time. By the time they turn to face me, you have that lovely heavy laser in range to peg them in the rear armor if you know what I mean. And of course I may be camouflaged for hiding in water, but that means when I'm up and out of the drink I am a FABULOUS Teal and sea blue with algae green highlights when I'm on land :)

Can I get Pinkie's butt emblem as a Tat on my Mechs shoulder? If so, Im in.

Edited by StriplingWarrior, 09 June 2012 - 09:03 AM.

#79 CommEE

• PipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

I second the Hollander.

That mech would make a great command platform; hit them hard from range and give you time to coordinate a couple lances

#80 Scarlett Avignon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 913 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

View PostMourning Light, on 08 June 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

UM-R60 UrbanMech
Yes the old R2-D2 trashcan. Many people talk about using them and or make snide comments regarding the mech but come on, in any closed in area this loveable walking pepsi cola billboard can easily go toe to toe with larger mechs (unless they are using an Atlas, then its time to kick for the extra point)

"can easily go toe to toe with larger mechs"

Hardly. Larger mechs regularly mount twice the armor, twice the firepower, and have twice the speed of the Urbanmech. Any player with a minimum amount of skill will easily take one apart. The only thing the poor mech has going for it is it somewhat outguns a few light mechs and is cheap. It's an adequate mech if you have limited funds and expect to be fighting in close quarters, but not suited for much else. Personally, I'll take a Commando against one any day.

I don't see it as under-appreciated at all. Frankly, at least on these forums, it's over-appreciated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users