Revamp Pilot Skill Tree

7 replies to this topic

#1 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Looking back over the pilot skill tree, it's easy to see where a lot of the game's imbalances come from. Speed Tweak lets larger mechs go faster way too easily and heat dissipation and heat cap increases allow those larger mechs to also abuse the current heat system to fire huge alphas over and over.

The pilot skill tree really needs a revamp. Something like a point system similar to LoL's mastery tree would work (I think Hawken actually did something like it), or at the very least add drawbacks or limitations to using all of the pilot skills (pick and choose, instead of just using everything because there's no point not to).

EDIT: If anything, it should follow a concept similar to the mech quirks, which give benefits to certain setups and dissuade you from using mechs in ways they weren't meant for

Edited by Fate 6, 31 May 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#2 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

Speed tweak, in and of itself, is not an issue.
So an atlas with a big engine and tweak can get to the TT equivalent of a 4/6 move (actually a little slower) while using a 360 engine. Big deal.
Lights get the same advantage, a Jenner can hit over 140 with a 280 engine (an 8.8/13.2 if we use fractional move) where in TT the same mech would only go 130 (8/12).

Big mechs go faster, little mech go faster with the same percentage boost.

Similarly, the heat dissipation and capacity boosts aren't a problem, the current heat system as a whole is.

Or in other words, there are larger and more basic problems than what things you get a 10% boost to with pilot skills.

#3 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 31 May 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

Speed tweak, in and of itself, is not an issue.
So an atlas with a big engine and tweak can get to the TT equivalent of a 4/6 move (actually a little slower) while using a 360 engine. Big deal.
Lights get the same advantage, a Jenner can hit over 140 with a 280 engine (an 8.8/13.2 if we use fractional move) where in TT the same mech would only go 130 (8/12).

Big mechs go faster, little mech go faster with the same percentage boost.

Similarly, the heat dissipation and capacity boosts aren't a problem, the current heat system as a whole is.

Or in other words, there are larger and more basic problems than what things you get a 10% boost to with pilot skills.

The pilot skill tree is not the source of all problems, but it exasperates the issues.

Additionally, its not just about the issues it causes, but the fact that the tree itself is dull, has no give and take, requires no brains or thoughts, simply unlock things when you get the XP and then forget about it.

#4 Thorqemada

• 6,378 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

The Pilot Skill Tree is underwhelming but there is so much work waiting for PGI i can see why they dont want spend time on it.

#5 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostFate 6, on 31 May 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

The pilot skill tree is not the source of all problems, but it exasperates the issues.

Additionally, its not just about the issues it causes, but the fact that the tree itself is dull, has no give and take, requires no brains or thoughts, simply unlock things when you get the XP and then forget about it.

That I'll agree with, and I'd love to see more "role-oriented" pilot trees.
I just have issues with every single suggestion being toted as a miracle fix for every balance problem in the game.
Sometimes an idea is good and it doesn't need to fix anything to be worth implementing.

#6 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 31 May 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

That I'll agree with, and I'd love to see more "role-oriented" pilot trees.
I just have issues with every single suggestion being toted as a miracle fix for every balance problem in the game.
Sometimes an idea is good and it doesn't need to fix anything to be worth implementing.

^
Fixing the pilot tree won't fix all the issues. It would be a small step in the right direction though, and it would certainly make the customization in this game even more extensive and interesting.

#7 Crimson Fenris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

The system is not bad itself, but the non-specialization is very boring.

The pilot tree must be much more stuffed, but in a different way : with unlocked trees that lock some other quirks when selected. Some arborescence in different "ways" of developping a mech.

Like a branch for the "tank", one for the "scout", another for the "sniper" and so on...

That way you can customize your differents chassis for a particular role, instead of getting always the same indifferencied efficiencies...

That will also be benefit for using different chassis, and add more value to some mechs, considered as "non valuable" in general way.

#8 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

They tossed out the idea of the role-oriented pilot tree and replaced it with modules.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users