62 replies to this topic

#1 Sprouticus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

And surprisingly, it IS cheese.

I had always discountered the 'jump sniper poptart is so damn easy' crowd as whining. It is not something I have ever been interested in, so I just did my own thing. I was on the receiving end of things, and felt that PPC/gauss mechs are a bit OP. But just a bit. Especially after PPC's rate decrease.

Then I bought a 732 on sale yesterday and tried it out (I dont have a 3D either). Holy cra p. Being in a jumping Highlander with 3 PPC's and a gauss is a freakin joke. It actually DOES make the game easier. You can get around obstacles, you can effectively minimize the effect of cover, you can aim and fire smoothly. It is a completely different game than I have been playing.

I am not a great pilot. I am MAYBE above average. I have between a 1 and 2 KDR with most of my mechs. Slightly less for spiders and jenners. Slightly more for D-DC's.

I was WELL above 2.5 in the highlander. (mind you the total matches played is not large yet, but still).

Im not complaining. I am not sure how to fix this, or if it even needs to be fixed. Maybe this is what PGI wants MWO to be, although I doubt it. All I know is that I now understand what people were saying about jump sniping being easy mode.It really is a much easier game to play.

#2 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

It must be what PGI wants the game to be....since they have had it this way for more than 2 months and just finished a "major weapons balance" buffing MG, LBX, and several other weapons such that "things are about where we want them" (per Paul)

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

Alas, too many players cannot resist the temptation of joining current meta. Another lost soul to purify with my Streaks, it seems.

Edited by El Bandito, 01 June 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#4 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

If it wasnt easymode you wouldnt see so many off them.

#5 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

Too bad people keep posting things such as the OP without noting the upcoming JJ Shake which will nerf poptarting with nerfclub.

#6 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Highlander really is a bit much.
3D cataphracts at least have a serious drawback in its comparable fragility.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

View PostscJazz, on 01 June 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Too bad people keep posting things such as the OP without noting the upcoming JJ Shake which will nerf poptarting with nerfclub.

You also have no idea on how JJ shake will be implemented so why talk about it like it will nerf poptarting noticeably?

#8 Sprouticus

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostscJazz, on 01 June 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

I am aware of this, and also aware of the heat scale change with multi-weapon penalties which they are exploring. I am NOT saying PGI is not making changes, nor am I complaining. Those arguments are old and worn.

I was (am) just expressing my surprise at the fact that poptarting IS easier than other playstyles. It really did surprise me, I had assumed the statements about this were just sour grapes.

#9 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

Embrace the Cheese, Love the Cheese:

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=146650637

Mmmm, cheese.

I did it on this variant only. My other two carry LRMs of some type.

#10 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

Poptarting is easy mode, hell, I was nearly matching Assaults for damage in my 2 ERPPC Raven 4x poptart... Now that's just sad... And funny... But mostly sad.

Edited by Coralld, 01 June 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#11 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

Its stupid and boring, I dont get why everyone does it. It seriously ruins the game. It was like piloting the streak A1, or the Splatcat A1 before they got nerfed to the ground. Even the dual gauss kats and the AC40 jaegers arent fun. Cheese builds scare the devs, who dont know how to deal with them. They always overnerf things that hurt balanced builds.

I seriously have extremely low faith in their skill in game balancing. Its pretty pathetic that they dont even listen to their community who actually plays the game and offers countless solutions that theyre too slow or too stupid to put in. It makes me think this game wont last long at all.

#12 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 01 June 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

You also have no idea on how JJ shake will be implemented so why talk about it like it will nerf poptarting noticeably?

Well since there is currently no shake at all and shake is being implemented because of poptarting it would be a gigantic stretch to imagine that it wouldn't noticeably effect poptarting. This makes sense right?

#13 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

It is easier and smoother to aim while jumping right now than either walking or running. Even if you keep grounded, 35 damage pin-point alpha strikes will devastate most Mechs. I cannot honestly believe that PGI wants the game to function like this, but that two month time frame that Chemie mentioned is rather disturbing.

#14 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

Like every one here, I am really getting sick of all the cheese builds, they are really getting old and stale really fast, and they are starting to smell a little funky.

#15 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

... And the Lord saith: "Cry more forth getting shot in thy face, for you lack thy intelligence to look for cover."

#16 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

its interesting that you found it to be easy mode. I do have a 4ppc highlander i play around with from time to time but i found that i DON'T do as well as with other mechs. I don't get as much damage, i don't get as many kills, and often i die more often than with other mechs. Getting over obstacles is handy but so is knowing how to navigate the maps already.

And nobody needs to know "exactly" how jumpjet shake is going to work to know its going to nerf jump sniping. I mean sure you can still aim pretty easily unzoomed. But any level of zoom with one little tap from any weapon shakes your camera severely.

The last thing they would need to do which personally i think should have been the first thing would be to slow down the projectile speed of PPCs. If you can see them coming with an extra second to juke your speed or direction they won't hit as often thus leaving gauss as the only real fast sniping weapon. And how many mechs can put more than 2 gauss anyway. None! so just deal with it for the time being. And again... Go play conquest, the jump sniper idea quickly fades when you realize its only useful for about 10 seconds there.

Edited by Sable, 01 June 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#17 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

Sprout....you do realize JJ shake is coming next patch right?

I don't own a highlander (yet) and can see Devs are making incremental changes that will impact the poptart tactic currently king. Why not see how the JJ shake impact things and then worry about it.

#18 WildeKarde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

I have to say jumping is easier for shooting than running, don't know how many times I've been lining up a shot only to step on pebble knocking my aim out :)

#19 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

Posted Image

#20 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

JJ shake alone isn't going to do it.. just gives them less time to aim before firing on the way down.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users