Role Warfare Standard Mechs for Davion

5 replies to this topic

#1 Jaegerwolf

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, CT

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

Ok folks, we've got 12 mechs confirmed (so far) so I'm thinking which ones you believe are the best default choice for each of the 4 roles described in previous blog posts.

Some ideas to start off:

Scout: Cicada
Attack: Cataphract
Defense: Centurion
Command: Stalker

None of the current light mechs available are really Davion units, though I suppose since we're in '49 we could say the Commando is available in greater numbers then the Jenner and Raven. The Cicada provides the speed you'd want in a scout but can also pack some decent weaponry along with the auto cannons we love.

Cataphract is a natural Davion mech and is also well suited to the attacking role, as it has good maneuverability for its size and mounts a good mix of weapons. The Catapult is a good fire support Mech but relies too much on the LRMs to be the default choice, and I doubt we'd ever get the snake smell out of the Dragons enough to want to make them the base choice.

Centurion beats out the Hunchback here for the fact you have two strong long range weapons vs one very strong short ranged one. I see Cents being good cost effective body guards for commanders or fire support assets, while Hunchbacks are saved for attacks and ambushes on close range maps.

It's hard to tell what we'll really want in the Command role, but right now I'm liking the Stalker more then an Atlas for commander. Atlases are going to be drawing everyones fire first off, something you really DONT want in a command Mech. For assault lances the Atlas can work fine, just not sure if it will always be the best choice for Company commanders.

#2 Josh Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 204 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

You do realize that you're not stuck with the STOCK variants, right? I'm pretty sure you can customize the hunchback to have long-ranged weaponry. Also; the Catapult-K2 is also available according to the SS on IGN.

#3 Jaegerwolf

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, CT

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

I'm aware of that, but if we look at how the Mech Lab is going to work trying to turn the Hunchback into a long range focused Mech will be inefficient.

As for the K2 you are still for the most part a Fire support Mech but just in a different way. Also consider I was talking about defaults here, I'm not sure how long it might take to open up the K2 if access is level based.

#4 Sleeping Bear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGuam

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:42 AM

You do realize that Davion has been fighting the Draconis Combine since the first succession war. We've raided them and fought numerous battles against the Dragon. So to be honest, you can and do see DCMS machines in the AFFS. I for one will want to pilot a modified Jenner as a scout. The Raven's lack of jump jets just turns me off. Also, I'd like to pilot a modified Dragon and name it Saint George the Dragonslayer. I'd really like to see the Valkyrie and Enforcer (fat chance with the like equipped and weight Centurion) introduced into the game. I'd really like to pilot either one of those great machines.

#5 Stonewall

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn Point

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:50 AM

I would hope that

View PostSleeping Bear, on 09 June 2012 - 03:42 AM, said:

You do realize that Davion has been fighting the Draconis Combine since the first succession war. We've raided them and fought numerous battles against the Dragon. So to be honest, you can and do see DCMS machines in the AFFS. I for one will want to pilot a modified Jenner as a scout. The Raven's lack of jump jets just turns me off. Also, I'd like to pilot a modified Dragon and name it Saint George the Dragonslayer. I'd really like to see the Valkyrie and Enforcer (fat chance with the like equipped and weight Centurion) introduced into the game. I'd really like to pilot either one of those great machines.

I hope that we eventually see a lot of mechs even if they similar to others. The modeling is already so phenomenal who wouldn't want to see as many mechs as possible?

#6 Rodney28021

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationRural Western North Carolina

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:50 AM

Remmember House Davion has House Liao and House Kurita as Enemies and House Steiner as Ally. House Marik is neutral and FRR is needy. At least in the canon.
Should not limit choices of mechs to ones that have ties to Davion.
Atlas = tank
Awesome = fire support

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users