Do You Like The New Jj Screenshake?

84 replies to this topic

Poll: Do You Like The New Jj Screenshake? (342 member(s) have cast votes)

Screenshake?

1. Yes (249 votes [72.81%])

Percentage of vote: 72.81%

2. No (93 votes [27.19%])

Percentage of vote: 27.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 DemonRaziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

I voted NO.

I also saw the pop-tarting as a problem, especially since in many drops it was done en masse and the few non-pop-tarts were usually a quick prey for them. Plus it made for a very bland whack-a-mole-ish gaming experience.

I was running a few games yesterday in a Spider, a Jenner and a Highlander (not a pop-tarting build) and the new JJ mechanics didn't hurt my aim too much. And I am also skeptical this will be the be all end all answer to pop-tarts as they just need to aim and shoot during their fall after they stop going upwards and their aim will be as good as ever.

My main gripe, however, is the fact, that the screenshake, while not hurting my aim too much, is hurting my eyes... a lot. And this is an issue regardless of whether you are using your JJs for maneuverability or to shoot while you are in the air during combat, so the "JJs should impose a penalty to your attack modifier" argument does not apply here.

Controlling a 'Mech at high speeds and jumping is now rather hard and painful experience for me and after a few games, my eyes feel really tired. Luckily, I don't have motion sickness, so I do not experience any nausea (a friend of mine does, though, so I suspect he's probably going to throw up when spectating my 'Mech :) ).

I am all for the reticule shake, though, that's a fine addition, indeed.

#62 Xyroc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 855 posts
  • LocationFighting the Clan Invasion

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

the shaking is fine im just wondering what would actually cause the reticle to go crazy im not moving my targeting controls so how do they move by them self ?

#63 wmusil

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 57 posts
  • LocationNew Joysee

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

EDIT3 - Counter proposal. CAMPING PENALTY. If you do not move, the GAME, yes this is a game, will start to deduct cbills and XP in a predictable way. I cannot poptart, not good enough, don't care. What I cannot stand is the general concept of camping, MOVE. If you wish to snipe, fine, but once a shot exposes your position, gotta move. The less you move, the more penalty you incur. Camp at a choke point and wait out your opponents? PENALTY. Camp on a mountain and poptart without moving? PENALTY. Camp at the ship in frozen city or forest colony? PENALTY. Camp at really long range cause your boat would get ripped to shreds in a coordinated assault? PENALTY.

Edit - Non Poptarter, occasional JJ user. I read another post in this thread suggesting inducing shake while walking. That I can agree with, because, you should have MORE screen shake while walking than hovering. It has nothing to do with aerodynamics, it has only to do with the continuous downward force evenly applied will make anything hover, allowing that enough thrust was applied. (I will allow that without some gyro control and thrust vectoring, the mech would flip over, so it must be in the JJ system already, but uncontrolled convulsions? These are jets, not rockets, so pogo phenomenon is not an issue either, a jet with pogo goes BOOM)

No No No No NO!

OK, For me it's just a Physic's thing, I don't even have a Highlander or 3D.

Missiles bad. PPC bad, seizmic bad, poptarting bad, long range sharpshooters bad, really? Sounds more like use of cover bad. I don't have the aiming skill, so I cannot do it anyway, but implementing a 'fix' so skewed in the physics of the game is ludicrous. The discussion comes to the gyro. This is very strange, because image and HUD stabilization is fluid smooth when the cabin shake of simply walking in a 20 - 90 ton mech should shake you out if not strapped in. The graphic presentation in game shows as much, as the cabin wobbles all over the place, but the reticle and HUD remains clear.

Consider a Harrier jet, rolling down a runway. A bumpy runway will cause bounce to the pilot's view and targeting (not that the pilot would actually target or fire from the ground). Without some image stabilization, the reticle would be all over the place, kind of like in WoT. Now a Mech, which has much more cabin shake and should, because it has no wheels, has perfect target/HUD stabilization while on the ground, huh?!? The same Harrier may shudder on lift off, but as soon as the vehicle is in free flight, it does not, and cannot buck like a horse. Are we to believe that the gyro setup is sensitive enough to damp the shock impulse of a WALKING 90 ton machine, but not when no shock impulse is applied? That is what a gyro is, the more aggressive a change in momentum, the more aggressive the response from the gyro. The JJ are not repeated AC20 shots down, and this is not Doom. There is a continuous downward force, which if anything, would induce less shake than walking, nor is this an Apollo Rocket, and the analog is misplaced if that was the intent (EDIT2 : The 'shake' in an Apollo is NOT from the rocket, or the amount of thrust. The shake is from the makeup of the vehicle itself, and the shake in an Apollo is because it is a giant, quite flexible tube, with a resonant shake that dissipates part of the impulse in deflection. A very dense object such as a mech or a howitzer projectile, will deflect only so much and will not shake continuously, but only during the initial impulse in the change of momentum - right at takeoff).

I understand, if it is not in BT it doesn't exist, and if enough people complain you must change things, but you cannot have it both ways. If the physics in BT allows for one aspect of motion, impulse, momentum, etc it must allow for all, in a universal way. This ranks right up there with long range zoom in the fail department. Really? optics are that bad in the BT world? Or is it always a prank that one of my lance mates continuously smears vaseline on my long range optics? and image stabilization, that is wonderful while walking on uneven terrain with multiple shock impulses to deal with, but suddenly fails and shakes the mech apart while essentially hovering, with NO SHOCK IMPULSES to induce shake?

FAIL FAIL FAIL

Edited by wmusil, 05 June 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#64 PEEFsmash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

What you should have done is classify the yes/no the following way:

Yes (jumpjet user)
Yes (do not use jumpjets)
No (jumpjet user)
No (do not use jumpjets)

Of course people are going to want jumpjets nerfed if they don't use them. That translates to easier wins for non-jumpjet users, and causes headaches they will never have to feel.

Edited by PEEFsmash, 05 June 2013 - 08:08 AM.

#65 BlackWidow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostTennex, on 04 June 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

its unrealistically violent.

Really? And how many mechs have you personally piloted in real life? For that matter, what single feature in MW is "realistic"

I think peoples responses to this awesome feature is unrealistic.

1. It adds to immersion
2. TT rules NEVER allowed for firing while jumping
3. It balances out the poptarting.

Personally, I don't care if people want to poptart. I never got killed more by this tactic than any other one. Exploit, FLOTM or standard usage. Adapt. Just like EVERYONE ELSE that had an in game tactic that got changed and forced them too.

The ONLY complaint that I had about poptarting and the ONLY ONE THAT MATTERS FOR EVERYONE! is it made the game boring. You people can rant about poptarts, LRMs, SRMs, maps, mechs hardpoints...whatever. ALL of that is secondary to ...IS THE GAME FUN TO PLAY.

#66 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

Your lamentation and tears only makem us stronger.

#67 Thanatos676

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 05 June 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

What you should have done is classify the yes/no the following way:

Yes (jumpjet user)
Yes (do not use jumpjets)
No (jumpjet user)
No (do not use jumpjets)

Of course people are going to want jumpjets nerfed if they don't use them. That translates to easier wins for non-jumpjet users, and causes headaches they will never have to feel.

I use JJ and i wanted them nerfed...

#68 NinetyProof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Not voting because this is not black and white.

1) I love the fact that the game was practically *devoid* of pop-tarts yesterday. The game was no longer "Flying Robots" but rather "Mech Warrior". (Mind you, I loved my Highlander Pop-Tart with 2 ERPPC + Guass).

2) I don't like the screen shake / rectile shake personally cause it gives me a headache. I would much prefer a nerf that doesn't induce physical discomfort.

Overall, the game was too much "whack-a-mole" ... everybody knew that. Do I like the fact it got nerfed? yes ... do I like that the nerf induces physical discomfort? absolutely not.

#69 Thanatos676

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

I find the whole "The Screenshake makes me feel sick" argument to be bogus. If your getting headaches and being made to feel sick from the little bit of screenshake that is caused by JJ maybe you shouldn't be playing video games.

#70 w0rm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Keep it. Poptarting still works like a charme for those people who now their ****, but tone it down for the lights.

#71 Gazbo

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

I'm all for reduced accuracy during a jump - but the seizure inducing solution is way too much.
A slight screen OR weapon shake (which need not be visible to the pilot) would do it.
I'm pretty sure a computer generated reticle could stay relatively still during a jump.

Though let's be honest, there is very little realism in the canon.
AC/20 cannot shoot over the horizon? Gauss explode? Mechs with low arms? In fact why have arms with hands at all? Lights damage legs on falling, yet an Atlas doesn't sink upon landing?
And for 8 million CB, I'd expect a rear-view mirror! I'm sure we all could easily add to the list...
Realism? Today's infantry unit is much more lethal and effective than a 100t Battlemech.

It's big stompy robots. And it should be fun.

So, lets keep it fun for everyone.

Gazbo

#72 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

View Postw0rm, on 05 June 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

Keep it. Poptarting still works like a charme for those people who now their ****, but tone it down for the lights.

I think I've made more air-PPC shots since the patch than I ever did before.

#73 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

I like the idea of accuracy being hampered while airborne, but the reticule shake looks unnatural. A little bit of polish to it would be great.

#74 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

Dont like it, looks really bad. Only good to it is that theres less tarting going on.

#75 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

View PostBudor, on 06 June 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

Dont like it, looks really bad. Only good to it is that theres less tarting going on.

the bad visual effects can be removed WITHOUT getting rid of the aiming penalties.

#76 FunkyFritter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

I don't like the implementation at all. I primarily play a Jenner these days and do a lot of jump turns, the shaking is extremely disorientating when it's applied inconsistently at high speeds and the random firing cone makes some of my lasers miss at point blank when they veer off at ridiculous angles.

Time will tell what the metagame impact will be, but for now what I can say is that JJ-using light mechs got significantly harder to use and certainly weren't something to complain about beforehand.

#77 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:35 AM

View Postblinkin, on 07 June 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

the bad visual effects can be removed WITHOUT getting rid of the aiming penalties.

Yep. Hope they do something about it in the near future.

#78 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:47 AM

Noted 'no'.

I love the effect it's had; that being that the overall quality of game play has gone up. I really dislike the shake though.

#79 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

It's absolutely horrible when you die while jump jetting... the screen shake persists through spectating. I think really, how I use JJ (on a spider) I tend to shoot on the way down anyways; shooting on the way up is akin to waving a flag to get their attention. I shoot at the last moment before I dip behind cover, hit the ground, and usually run at a 45 degree angle from the direction I was jumping in.

#80 Esplodin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 494 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

View Postheleqin, on 04 June 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

yes, jump jet shake is fine, adjust your playstyle and you'll be fine. its a nice addition to a skill based game

RNG for firing is all about SKILL. WTF?

The problem was never JJ, but high alpha hits to one section at distance.

Edited by Esplodin, 07 June 2013 - 10:51 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users