188 replies to this topic

#101 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostZharot, on 09 June 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Ilya Muromets.

if you need mc to get it thats already a disadvanatge, and doesn't that only have 2 ballistic hard points in the arms??? so it still cant do some builds, like 2 uac5 2 ac2 builds and other support fire gunners

funny to think thats based off of the 2x and not the 4x though

Edited by Just wanna play, 09 June 2013 - 10:41 AM.

#102 Kaio-Kerensky x10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

Ilya has two ballistic slots in the arms, just not two ballistic slots in each arm.

View PostJust wanna play, on 09 June 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

so it still cant do some builds, like 2 uac5 2 ac2 builds and other support fire gunners

Those builds are terrible, though.

#103 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostZharot, on 09 June 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

Ilya has two ballistic slots in the arms, just not two ballistic slots in each arm.

Those builds are terrible, though.

and how is that exactly??? unless your pugging they are great for team support, and illya also has weapons in the side torsos and not the ct, sure that has some advantages but it also has disadvantages to it

and again, illya is not even avaible unless you spend mc

Edited by Just wanna play, 09 June 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#104 Locan Ravok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 141 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

Great post, all new players saving to buy their first mech should read it.

Just need to review some scores after JJ nerf.

#105 Bimini Twist

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Excellent work! I would only change a few ratings by a single star, and your commentary on each variant is spot-on. I do hope you keep updating this guide, because it's one of the most comprehensive works I've seen posted to a forum.

#106 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Imo newbies shouldn't be going for the easiest/cheesy/meta builds/mechs first because that means they will just see everything as bad and they probably wont be the a very good mech pilots/builders either after learning in a simple point and shoot alpha strike build that doesnt even need to torso twist just poptart, or in the case of ac 40 jagers, go all in and die for 1 guaranteed kill in their new player elo bracket

Edited by Just wanna play, 09 June 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#107 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

Wow!

Look forward to giving this a read and seeing if I agree!

**Suggestion** How about more spoiler tags to make reading it more manageable?

#108 Ningyo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

This is insanely good, please some mod sticky it like yesterday lol. Maybe they should ask you if they can copy paste alot of this into the mech descriptions too. (not saying its perfect, but 90%+ are spot on and rest I can't truly say are that far off)

A couple things I would add or change.

Atlas AS7-K: not disagreeing with its quality, but you said it is by far the most expensive. HOWEVER it has a built in 300 XL engine which is arguably one of the 4 most important sizes to have. (sort of drops its price tag from 13.7kk to about 9.5 kk in my mind (others you can sell the engine) If you are buying one to master the Atlas and don't have a 300 XL yet this is not a bad option.

Cicada 2B: I think this should be 2 stars, you can make a very fast sniper/harasser with this mech and the added arm movement allows firing from angles many other mechs cannot fire back. Also due to cockpit position and GUI you can actually often see what you are firing at. Definitely not 3 star, but it deserves 2 in my mind. (try it with 2 ER-PPC, or 3-4 ERLL {4 for Headshots if you are good} as a long range fast sniper and see if you change your mind {but only to 2 stars no more})

Highlander 733: I have been testing LRMs with this and it fires its arm missile launchers using an LRM15 in 2 volleys it appears first volley is 10 and second is 5 missiles. In picture it also shows 10 tubes so I strongly believe this is actually a 10 tube not 6 tube hardpoint. This makes it a 60 missile volley max not 50. Some of smurfy's other missile tube numbers appear to be incorrect too. Atlas DDC should be 6 not 16 (fires LRM 10 in 2 volleys, LRM 15 in 3). Likely a few others are incorrect too.

All said I think your review is 98% right, and should be read by all new players before they buy their first mech, AWESOME job, and real awesome, not the mech.

#109 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 346 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

The Raven 3-L is easily beaten by a Jenner JR7-D running 4 Med Lassers, 2 SSRM, and BAP. Alternately, any Jenner running LPL, 2 Med Lasers, and 15 DBL Heat Sinks.

#110 Kaio-Kerensky x10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

View Postkilgor, on 09 June 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

The Raven 3-L is easily beaten by a Jenner JR7-D running 4 Med Lassers, 2 SSRM, and BAP. Alternately, any Jenner running LPL, 2 Med Lasers, and 15 DBL Heat Sinks.

Why would you use an LPL when all Jenners can just run 4ML?

#111 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 09 June 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

Imo newbies shouldn't be going for the easiest/cheesy/meta builds/mechs first

Best learn to swim in the deep end first! ;)

Edited by White Bear 84, 09 June 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#112 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

View PostNingyo, on 09 June 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

Atlas DDC should be 6 not 16 (fires LRM 10 in 2 volleys, LRM 15 in 3). Likely a few others are incorrect too.

atlases have separate launcher tubes for lrms and srms so naturally smurfies is wrong

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 09 June 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

Best learn to swim in the deep end first! :)

that is the opposite of the deep end, its very easy to use and simple to get high scores with (dmg wise) so it would really be learning to "swim" in the deep end (where they do high dmg) with inflatable arm thingies (idk what their called, floaters?)

#113 Harmin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationSussex, UK

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:15 AM

I think you under-estimate the A7-K. It is better than you give it credit for since AMS was improved.

#114 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:28 AM

View PostHarmin, on 11 June 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

I think you under-estimate the A7-K. It is better than you give it credit for since AMS was improved.

I cannot dislike your post - therefor:

/dislike

#115 Koreanese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:47 AM

A for effort

#116 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

3F not highest tier? What is he smoking?

#117 Ranor95

• PipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Posting to help bookmark the thread :D

#118 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostZharot, on 07 June 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

No. It is not worthless. It is actively harmful, because it is almost entirely misinformation. Not only that but it encourages players to justify their bad play now. "Mere mortals" can't play the 4P? You still don't understand that the Cent AL and the Hunch 4SP are basically the same mech even after having it directly pointed out to you.

This is terrible.

I found a lot of it interesting.. he did a good job at explaining differences between mech variants.... that is huge for newbies.. Everything else is opinion, and contrary to popular belief opinions are not facts.... You say one mech is terrible, another says it is great.. Well perhaps both are right and wrong at the same time.

I personally am a HBK player, and i find the 4P dreadful to use. I am certainly not the best player, But of the 3 i own, my stats are half of what they are in my 4G and 4SP Obviously this mech does not work for me, as it might not for many others. In fact i hate it so much, I'm thinking about selling it cause i most likely will never use it again..

Feel free to make your own guide, giving your own facts on every mech made, or just the ones you own/play.. Then players can read both and make up their own minds.. Perhaps that would be a better use of your time, vrs ripping the person that is trying to do something helpful.

Lastly,[color="#959595"] those 4 mechs you listed, may not be the best in the game, But they are very popular, and can be awesome in the right hands just like most mechs..[/color]

#119 BlacKcuD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 229 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationmwo-builds.net

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

I like this listing a lot. I will contact you about it via PM.

#120 Masterr

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

nice guide dude. wish I saw this before I got the hunchback - 4G.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users