Seismic Is Crazy Op - How To Balance

291 replies to this topic

Poll: Proposed Seismic Sensor Modification (223 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Seismic Sensor be disabled while your Mech is moving?

1. Yes. It needs to be nerfed and this is a good way to achieve that. (101 votes [45.29%])

Percentage of vote: 45.29%

2. No. It is fine the way it is. (83 votes [37.22%])

Percentage of vote: 37.22%

3. No. I have a better idea which I explained in my post. (39 votes [17.49%])

Percentage of vote: 17.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

Lol no **** Einstein, cuz I'm not the one complaining here.

Actually, since the previous pages you've been complaining about people sneaking up on you and somehow being cored by Jenners within several seconds.

Edited by FupDup, 08 June 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#142 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

Actually, no I'm not.

Cuz you can't ******* read, moron.

Not one time did I complain about being cored out by people sneaking up on me.

Edited by Soy, 08 June 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#143 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

And yet you really seem to have issues that lights were able to do this exact thing.

#144 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

I have issues with lights who think that Seismic ruins their one way of playing the game, ie coring out ******** idle turret assaults ala daylight sneaking. This isn't ******* Assassin's Creed.

#145 Islington

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

the only problem with seismic sensors is that they shouldnt be a module. A mechs sensors should function this way by default. Its incredibly silly that my radar cant pick up a building sized block of metal just because its standing behind a wall. Stop trying to make this play like call of duty. Its a sci fi military sim. SIM not fps. If you want a mech game that plays like every shooter released in the last 10 years go try hawken.

#146 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

Actually, no I'm not.

Cuz you can't ******* read, moron.

Well, I suppose you didn't mention that you were the person being cored or snuck up on, but you certainly made it clear that you don't like those overall concepts:

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

'WHY CANT I RANDOMLY RUN UP TO ENEMIES AND CORE THEM IN THE *** ON COMMAND, WHY IS THE GAME HARDER, WHYYYYYYYYYYY'

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

I'm saying if all you want to do in the game is try and walk up behind unsuspecting players and core their ******* while they stand around idly, that requires about the same amount of skill as utilizing Seismic does.

All that **** you just mentioned btw would be fine if there was a counter to Seismic and other decent modules, then theres the meta around that alone which would be exciting.

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Why the **** should a Jenner be able to sneak up on a 100 ton assault mech and core it out in 5 secs?
That is dumb, not Seismic.

They aren't reduced to scouting and spotting, they can be used to mop up those guys later on when they are damaged. They shouldn't be running around and core out dudes who are fresh and not preoccupied, that is ******* ****.

Regarding Commando, I mean bro, we'll have to wait til tonnage limits etc to see point to a lot of undersized mechs.

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

DUH, its a ******* MISMATCH?! HELLO...

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Dude if you're gonna say that a Jenner should be able to core out any Atlas it can 'sneak' up on in 6 secs, that's pretty ******* dumb.

Much dumber than the power level of Seismic currently.

You don't like sneakers and you don't like Atlai being cored by Jenners. You said it pretty damn explicitly several times over.

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

Just offering suggestions for how to improve the situation; in the meantime, I'll **** on morons who don't have Seismic or can't properly play around it cuz their ONE ******* way of playing (aka sneaking up on some turret) isn't working. Tears, om nom nom.

You really enjoy making strawmen, don't you? Did you read a big post I made earlier in this thread? Here it is, for reference purposes:

View PostFupDup, on 07 June 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

Currently only have the basic version unlocked that only goes out to 200m. I've already been in numerous situations where I would have died/lost/not gotten a kill if I had not possessed it. Examples:

1. In the water on Forest Colony on the top side of the map, there's that big rock in the water by Kappa. By that rock, I've been able to know where the enemy light (or larger mechs, but I can't kill those in a single alpha) is going without seeing him at all. This lets me simply walk around to the side that I know he's going to escape from and lets me kill him. If I had lacked Seismic, I would have gone around the wrong way most likely and he would have gotten away.

2. In Canyon Network, by one of the support beams for the bridge near that side's spawn zone (between Epsilon and the home base). I was being chased by a Hunchback and Blackjack; I was a Catapult with yellow exposed CT internals, so obviously I wouldn't have lasted very long due to the huge CT hitbox. Seismic allowed me to know which direction my pursuers were going and thus I could just keep going in a circle around the support pillar and up the hill in sync with them until my surviving teammates arrived to draw fire and kill them. I would have died without Seismic.

3. Knowing where enemies are in urban environments in Frozen/River City lets me know where to strike/escape without error. I don't have a fancy story to go with this one.

4. In Caustic Valley, being able to see enemy flanking movement even while they're hidden behind the hills making up the sides of the caldera (particularly against lights).

5. Other minor situations that aren't as memorable.

TL;DR: I only have the basic Seismic unlocked and it has already enabled me to survive and/or kill when I would not have been able to survive or kill without the aid of the module. Equipping Seismic is literally a matter of life or death; equip Seismic to live or don't equip Seismic to die.

I have Seismic Sensor. I play Catapults right now. I snipe with ERPPCs unless somebody gets in close to me (then it's ML + Streaks + ERPPC). This module has allowed me to kill when I would have not been able to kill and survive when I would not have been able to survive. It is a crutch. Time for you to form a real counter-argument against me and quit the strawmen.

Edited by FupDup, 08 June 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#147 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

As said many times before in many different threads, the way to make seismic more balanced is to apply math. Namely, if you are moving, its detect radius goes down. If you move faster, it goes down further. If you're in a heavier mech, it goes down further.

In addition to this, though, if an enemy is in a bigger mech, he's detectible from further away. Likewise if he's moving fast.

Basically, the faster the contact is moving or the heavier it is, the further away you can detect it, but the heavier you are and the faster you are moving the closer they can get before you spot them.

It should be a matter of degree, not a simple on/off state switch.

#148 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 June 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

Well, I suppose you didn't mention that you were the person being cored or snuck up on, but you certainly made it clear that you don't like those overall concepts:

You damn ******* right I didn't mention that. Next time you try and put words in my mouth, Ima **** you up in game. Bad.

Fup, I don't think the ease of coring out moronic turret assaults was ever a challenge for legitimate light pilots.

I don't own an Atlas, never have.

My argument in regards to 'crutching' Seismic, is that I **** on a lot of people before it existed. I **** on people now that it exists. I'll continue to **** on people regardless of what happens, cuz I don't sit around crying about wanting things nerfed. I adapt and include it in my repetoire, if I can't fit it in, I meta around potentially facing it. Lights should step their ******* game up and try that last lil bit.

Edited by Soy, 08 June 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#149 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Fup, I don't think the ease of coring out moronic turret assaults was ever a challenge for legitimate light pilots.

I don't own an Atlas, never have.

You were correct in your statement about "well I suppose you didn't mention you were the person being cored or snuck up on..." that's right, cuz I'm not. I don't die to awful lights whos only dimension is rear coring. That **** is infantile.

...Then why are you expressing such obvious hatred for it if you don't personally die to it?

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

My argument in regards to 'crutching' Seismic, is that I **** on a lot of people before it existed. I **** on people now that it exists. I'll continue to **** on people regardless of what happens, cuz I don't sit around crying about wanting things nerfed.

You're implying that I'm not using Seismic to **** on people right now as well. You do realize that it is entirely possible to use an item yet simultaneously recognize how broken it is? For instance, you can find me in various Streak threads even though I've almost never used a single missile other than Streaks. I've asked for ECM adjustments even though I've abused it. And now, I'm asking for Seismic adjustments because it removes a lot of human errors that I used to make.

If I am interpreting your last sentence there correctly, you seem to be one of the "L2Adapt" kind of folks. Is my inference correct?

Edited by FupDup, 08 June 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#150 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

I meant what I said son.

#151 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

Despite what you may think, only terrible assault pilots ever got RCT cored by light mechs without any chance to respond.
Now not even those terrible pilots have anything to fear from light mechs.

I'm not sure if you've ever piloted something that relies on speed rather than firepower and armor, but against a competent opponent using cover to break LoS and changing your attack direction is a HUGE PART OF GAMEPLAY WHICH SEISMIC NEGATES.
It's not about coming up behind someone and coring them while they stand there dumb, it's about the atlas knowing you're there, and faking them out to give you that precious 1/2 second of fire on the only part of their mech you can possibly damage.

#152 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

Dude, every terrible pilot fears everything, don't act coy.

I've never owned anything that goes slower than 70kph, and that's probably only 50 rounds or so out of 1000s.

Against a competent opponent, consider maybe not running straight for their booty; instead, play off of the momentum your team paces the fight at. Then you can get the rear cores you want, mop up the red shouldered sniper in the back, be in position to counter other lights that get on your team instead of being extended cuz you had to go off into bumsville after some LRM turret derp, etc...

Edited by Soy, 08 June 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#153 Henry Buzz Gerber

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 39 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Location(london uk)

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

:D Love seismic as it is, untill its nerfed. Then I will go for the satelite tracking module that replaces it. :)

#154 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

Dude, every terrible pilot fears everything, don't act coy.

I've never owned anything that goes slower than 70kph, and that's probably only 50 rounds or so out of 1000s.

Against a competent opponent, consider maybe not running straight for their booty; instead, play off of the momentum your team paces the fight at. Then you can get the rear cores you want, mop up the red shouldered sniper in the back, be in position to counter other lights that get on your team instead of being extended cuz you had to go off into bumsville after some LRM turret derp, etc...

Now you're making assumptions about my skill level and play style, and using it to refute my arguments.

Logic has been left behind, continue your anti-light mech rants as you will.

#155 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

I'm making assumptions?

Dude you just asked if I had ever piloted something that relies on speed, I mean what the ****.

I own 5 mastered lights, whatever man. I just tend to think most lights suck ***, like every other class. Step the game up. People take **** real personally; those recommendations were for all of us.

Edited by Soy, 08 June 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#156 Thomas Covenant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

If they'd get more sophisticated with modules, I'd like to see you have to throw down sensors.

El Bandito had a good snippit from a BT book that mentions using sensors:

http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

#157 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

And I think certain people on these forums are elitist ****** who over-estimate their own personal skills, but I don't base my arguments on it.

The basis of all my arguments is that light mechs should be able to fight assaults, it is my basic premise. You do not agree.
Therefore there is no point in having any discussions on the related matters of balance with you.

#158 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

So you think Seismic literally stops lights from fighting assaults.

Cuz they can't completely surprise a bad player.

That's not balance, that's cheap garbage trying to capitalize on derphards. Either way it's not important in the grand scheme of things at all.

Edited by Soy, 08 June 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#159 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

That's not balance, that's cheap garbage trying to capitalize on derphards. Either way it's not important in the grand scheme of things at all.

If the players being surprised are bad, why does it matter that they die?

#160 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

I think that like many other things it reduces their ability to fight assaults.
If the assault is always aware which direction the light approaches from, the additional speed is of little use.

Also, please try and calm down, the emotional verbiage you are using is detracting from your argument.

65 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 65 guests, 0 anonymous users