Seismic Is Crazy Op - How To Balance

291 replies to this topic

Poll: Proposed Seismic Sensor Modification (223 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Seismic Sensor be disabled while your Mech is moving?

1. Yes. It needs to be nerfed and this is a good way to achieve that. (101 votes [45.29%])

Percentage of vote: 45.29%

2. No. It is fine the way it is. (83 votes [37.22%])

Percentage of vote: 37.22%

3. No. I have a better idea which I explained in my post. (39 votes [17.49%])

Percentage of vote: 17.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

I'm saying if all you want to do in the game is try and walk up behind unsuspecting players and core their ******* while they stand around idly, that requires about the same amount of skill as utilizing Seismic does.

All that **** you just mentioned btw would be fine if there was a counter to Seismic and other decent modules, then theres the meta around that alone which would be exciting.

I play Jenners, on occasion.
Jenners cannot fight face to face with assault mechs (except low-twist stalkers, and even then they tend to have such high alphas...)
If a Light mech cannot sneak up on something heavier to hit it in the vulnerables (especially snipers...) then they're reduced to spotting and padding the KDR of alpha-boats.
I'm fine with an atlas, or highlander, or stalker showing up at range, I'm not fine with a commando showing up quite so easily, making them even more laughable as combatants.

#122 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

Why the **** should a Jenner be able to sneak up on a 100 ton assault mech and core it out in 5 secs?
That is dumb, not Seismic.

They aren't reduced to scouting and spotting, they can be used to mop up those guys later on when they are damaged. They shouldn't be running around and core out dudes who are fresh and not preoccupied, that is ******* ****.

Regarding Commando, I mean bro, we'll have to wait til tonnage limits etc to see point to a lot of undersized mechs.

Edited by Soy, 08 June 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#123 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Why the **** should a Jenner be able to sneak up on a 100 ton assault mech and core it out in 5 secs?
That is dumb, not Seismic.

They aren't reduced to scouting and spotting, they can be used to mop up those guys later on when they are damaged. They shouldn't be running around and core out dudes who are fresh and not preoccupied, that is ******* ****.

Regarding Commando, I mean bro, we'll have to wait til tonnage limits etc to see point to a lot of undersized mechs.

Jenner-F with 6ML takes 9 seconds to kill an immobile atlas through RCT.
Even if said atlas doesn't notice until he's shot, he still gets plenty of time to twist to spread the damage out, or turn to face his frontal armor to said Jenner.1v1 it's a tough fight for the Jenner even if you do make it in unspotted and get a free shot.

As to why a Jenner should be able to kill an atlas in 1vs1, well that's because both teams have 8 players, so a Jenner has the same cost to bring as an Atlas.

Edited by One Medic Army, 08 June 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#124 Typhon27

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 210 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Imagine how useful seismic will be if/when collisions come back.

I hope then they add that to B. Betty's repertoire; "Warning, collision imminent!"

#125 JimLahey

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

I love how people are complaining about a module that can be obtained by anyone, but are apperently too lazy to accuire the c-bills and gxp needed for it. Instead of whining, why not put in some work and get it yourself. Why should those who already put in the work be punished?

#126 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 08 June 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Jenner-F with 6ML takes 9 seconds to kill an immobile atlas through RCT.
Even if said atlas doesn't notice until he's shot, he still gets plenty of time to twist to spread the damage out, or turn to face his frontal armor to said Jenner.1v1 it's a tough fight for the Jenner even if you do make it in unspotted and get a free shot.

As to why a Jenner should be able to kill an atlas in 1vs1, well that's because both teams have 8 players, so a Jenner has the same cost to bring as an Atlas.

DUH, its a ******* MISMATCH?! HELLO...

#127 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Challenger
  • The Challenger
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

I just think it effects pugs more like ecm used to back in the terrible days

maybe a 4 man might stand still over a ridge but how would you even tell if the enemy has seismic or not

like soy said no disadvantages for using it but sadly a world of modules countering other modules would be reallly pricey

BAP is 400,000 C-bills and counters one single ecm user but if the module lightstep were to be taken it would have to only counter 1 seismic sensor and that's where thing stop making sense
plus module upgrades and dreaded general xp upgrades

I have noticed that even if a sneak up on a atlas and managed to core it even the atlas doesn't typically die from the area that i cored it from like back -right torso

as it is seismic is waay to easy to use

even for those that don't wan't a big nerf its sensible for a mechs footsteps to interfere with seismic sensor and lightmechs should give off a smaller blip

Even if you did sneak up on a ppc mech with other weapons or just a boat and the mech was sniping , don't you think the pilot would notice a bleep on his radar while he is waiting for his ppc's to cool down

@lehey your (well what i perceive) implying that because seismic is so powerful others should instead save up for the newest powerful module instead of taking another module for variety

not tryin to offend anyone though :\

Edited by kesuga7, 08 June 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#128 Typhon27

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 210 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

I like the whole seismic thing (disclaimer, just got it today). It gives you another tool to interact with. BUT I would not be against some changes. The sensor reminds me of fiction (Tom Clancy, etc) involving nuclear attack submarines. The sub slows down or stops to listen, tries to creep off in new directions with out getting detected, does a final speed dash when it reaches attack position. I would not want it to work only when standing still. We'll all just stand around waiting for the other guy to move first. Can you imagine 2 Atlai on opposite sides of a building waiting to detect somebody and waiting and waiting. Imagine the rage tears of the everybody watching the last 2 or 3 mechs playing statue.

So, I am going to vote for;
  • Reduced distance (not more than half, and maybe not even that much)
And / or
  • Fuzzier returns as you speed up
And / or
  • Only detecting Mechs moving faster than you (not sure I like it, but hey I didn't see that idea yet and maybe somebody can improve on it. Maybe base it some some ratio of speed and weight)

#129 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

So someone who spends more time in game shouldn't be rewarded by having more money to spend to customize their mechs and have more relevent options available to meta around?

I've spent at least 100 mil on modules alone, and I think it was a great investment. And we only have a couple that actually are useful. I'll take anything I can get that gives me more options.

What we're seeing is people upset about the fact that there aren't many useful modules, and very few HARD counters in this game. Things'll change. Seismic will change.

For now, worship it.

#130 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Challenger
  • The Challenger
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

holy dosh batman! 100 million c bill's !

i just mean't that they shouldn't make a counter to a module be another module because of the insensible cost's simply to counter another power module (wouldn't that reduce module variety? guys getting paranoind on what counters to bring ;p )
At least with ECM you can see who has it on but modules you can never tell

but its common knowledge that a nerf is inbound and the Dev's have probably already made up their minds on what to do

on the other hand people were abusing LRM's (at least a few guys i met) to prove that they were broken even though a hotfix had already been announced so what was the point in using them?
Seismic is another thing though

Edited by kesuga7, 08 June 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#131 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

DUH, its a ******* MISMATCH?! HELLO...

And there's why I will never agree with you.
So long as taking a Commando to a match costs the same as taking an Atlas to a match (1 player slot of 8) then the Commando should be able to kill the Atlas.
Now when I say "should be able to kill" I mean that using the superior maneuverability it should be able to make multiple hit and run passes before the heavier mech can react, and eventually wear down said atlas, the atlas by comparison needs to out-guess the Commando and only needs one or two solid hits to end the fight.

If and when tonnage limits come in, and light mechs don't need to be equal (or near-equal) combatants to heavy/assault mechs, then we can talk about how they shouldn't be allowed to pose a threat.

With Seismic, the commando just runs away and hides in a corner because the atlas sees it coming regardless and vaporizes the thing.

Edited by One Medic Army, 08 June 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#132 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Dude if you're gonna say that a Jenner should be able to core out any Atlas it can 'sneak' up on in 6 secs, that's pretty ******* dumb.

Much dumber than the power level of Seismic currently.

#133 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Dude if you're gonna say that a Jenner should be able to core out any Atlas it can 'sneak' up on in 6 secs, that's pretty ******* dumb.

Now you're just trolling, or your reading comprehension is limited.
Go re-read my posts. Seriously.

If you're just so tired of light mechs sneaking up on your fat assault and taking your lunch money, say so. Say you like Seismic because it replaces battlefield awareness and negates a one of the major downsides of being a big slow gunboat. Say you like it because it nerfs the combat effectiveness of lights.

Edited by One Medic Army, 08 June 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#134 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

How vain.

#135 heleqin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Seismic sensors are very good, maybe a little too good. i'd fix it by turning it off when you're moving , the range is fine, but i'd reduce the effectiveness vs light mechs and make the weight AND speed a mech is moving at factor into the effectiveness of the sensor. the main issue with this is whether or not the game engine would allow for it.

#136 Thundercles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostTyphon27, on 08 June 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

The sensor reminds me of fiction (Tom Clancy, etc) involving nuclear attack submarines.

For Clancy, probably more along the lines of the heartbeat sensor from Rainbow Six (book or game, either way).

Though, now I want a legitimate reason to do Crazy Ivans without people thinking I had a stroke and fell on my keyboard.

#137 seymourbalzac

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

Seismic Sensor makes it impossible for me to sneak up on anyone with my light mechs anymore. I used to love sneaking around and finding a straggler and do some drive bys while using cover to mask where I'm going to come from next or using cover to juke out of a bad situation but all of this is eliminated by Siesmic Sensor because they can see me coming and they know where I am all of the time.

#138 Nexus Omega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

I would like it to show friendly movement too, I think that would Balance it a little,
Plus Altering the Distance based on mech size, (Smaller mechs get closer before showing up)
Its a great tool, and hopefully the future will bring other great tools to compete with it.

#139 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

If your Atlas died to a Jenner within 6 seconds, you seriously skimped on the armor and/or you were severely damaged beforehand. In the first case, that's your fault for giving your build such a huge weakness. In the second case, that's just the nature of the game because of no mid-match repairs. In either case, you have no legitimate (as in claims that are actually valid) complaints to make about the situation.

Sorry, but MWO shouldn't be Steiner Scout Lance: The Game.

#140 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Lol no **** Einstein, cuz I'm not the one complaining here.

Just offering suggestions for how to improve the situation; in the meantime, I'll **** on morons who don't have Seismic or can't properly play around it cuz their ONE ******* way of playing (aka sneaking up on some turret) isn't working. Tears, om nom nom.

Edited by Soy, 08 June 2013 - 04:42 PM.

60 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 60 guests, 0 anonymous users