Seismic Is Crazy Op - How To Balance

291 replies to this topic

Poll: Proposed Seismic Sensor Modification (223 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Seismic Sensor be disabled while your Mech is moving?

1. Yes. It needs to be nerfed and this is a good way to achieve that. (101 votes [45.29%])

Percentage of vote: 45.29%

2. No. It is fine the way it is. (83 votes [37.22%])

Percentage of vote: 37.22%

3. No. I have a better idea which I explained in my post. (39 votes [17.49%])

Percentage of vote: 17.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

I recommend they introduce a new (and far less expensive) module:

Snow shoes!

Alternatively, these.

#162 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

Medic, cmon man, you know I'm relaxed as **** and chilling, if my vernacular appears rough that's cuz this particular sub-forum is actually quite deserving of such tone. In fact, my verbage has increasingly grown more and more terse as a result of the forums becoming more and more toxic. Probably a sign of growing apathy.

If I was here for brownie point Likes I wouldn't be posting in Game Balance.

Fup, assuming that was rhetorical. If not; it doesn't. The crying definitely effects the trajectory of the game though. So I'm here doing my part to curb it by saying I think there are solutions in the pipeline, and the non-adapters, particularly lights, should consider new ways of playing. They 'nerfed' JJs; don't see me complaining, do you. Is it harder post-patch, you tell me. You ******* tell me.

Edited by Soy, 08 June 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#163 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

Fup, assuming that was rhetorical. If not; it doesn't. The crying definitely effects the trajectory of the game though. So I'm here doing my part to curb it by saying I think there are solutions in the pipeline, and the non-adapters, particularly lights, should consider new ways of playing. They 'nerfed' JJs; don't see me complaining, do you. Is it harder post-patch, you tell me. You ******* tell me.

It wasn't rhetorical. A few pages ago you made it very clear that you don't think a Jenner or whatever other light should be able to sneak up on bad Atlai or other assaults. Now you're saying that it doesn't matter that they get sneaked up on. If it didn't matter, then why did you go out of your way to say that you don't like that particular tactic/playstyle?

#164 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Well, I have tried Seismic out, I have it fully unlocked for the 400m range.
It was kind of amusing watching the Cicada 3M trying to sneak around, but I actually felt kind of bad when I kept alpha striking him every time he poked his head out, 'cause I knew exactly where and when he'd show up.

Before this I knew that against a sneaky player in a light I'd have to be on my guard, and mistakes meant that I'd lose my rear armor before I twisted around.

Now I feel bad for them as they just get alpha'd to the face and explode.

#165 InRev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

Fup, how do you always manage to stay so level-headed when people start raging at you and throwing barrages of ad-hominem attacks? In every thread in which I see you post you remain zen while everybody else is frothing at the mouth. It boggles my mind.

#166 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

Fubtub -

I think that scenarios such as the rear core of a bad turret in the backlines is one of the quickest resolving combat scenarios in MWO. Very similar to an Atlas moseying around a corner and running smack into 3 cheese Jagers.

Is that a good or bad thing, kinda subjective.

What I do know is that those situations are pretty one dimensional and Seismic has changed that. There will be a lot of other things that change it as well. I'm not crying about every single one of those. In fact, I don't cry on forums cuz I enjoy the game and adapt to it. It's a beta, I can imagine that this game will be somewhat different in the future and don't feel entitled to have every little thing the way I prefer it to be. Win some, lose some, and that's just not in game, it's in preference of playstyle.

Also sad that you didn't answer my question, even though I've answered several of yours. Hope you grow a pair and manage to at some point, either way, no big deal. Goin out, so, take the opportunity to marinate on it a hot sec or something if you're struggling for a response.

Edited by Soy, 08 June 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#167 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostInRev, on 08 June 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Fup, how do you always manage to stay so level-headed when people start raging at you and throwing barrages of ad-hominem attacks? In every thread in which I see you post you remain zen while everybody else is frothing at the mouth. It boggles my mind.

I dunno, either. All I know is that I'm getting better at it over time. Soon, my power shall be OVERHWHELMING.

The funny thing about me is that I am actually more prone to accidentally go overboard if my opponents are being moderate-toned yet I am more likely to stay clam if they're being buttholes. I'm weird like that.

View PostSoy, on 08 June 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Fubtub -

I think that scenarios such as the rear core of a bad turret in the backlines is one of the quickest resolving combat scenarios in MWO. Very similar to an Atlas moseying around a corner and running smack into 3 cheese Jagers.

Is that a good or bad thing, kinda subjective.

What I do know is that those situations are pretty one dimensional and Seismic has changed that. There will be a lot of other things that change it as well. I'm not crying about every single one of those. In fact, I don't cry on forums cuz I enjoy the game and adapt to it. It's a beta, I can imagine that this game will be somewhat different in the future and don't feel entitled to have every little thing the way I prefer it to be. Win some, lose some, and that's just not in game, it's in preference of playstyle.

Also sad that you didn't answer my question, even though I've answered several of yours. Hope you grow a pair and manage to at some point, either way, no big deal. Goin out, so, take the opportunity to marinate on it a hot sec or something if you're struggling for a response.

Which question? Do you mean if JJs got harder after the update? If so, then yes they are a bit harder to poptart with now. Not impossible, but harder. The average Joe out there hasn't yet figured out that they need to release the spacebar in order to get a clear shot, thereby making it so only well-informed poptarts like yourself (you made a thread with a fancy video about it) still use the tactic. I myself tend to jump a little bit too high or not fire quickly enough after release, so I just hillhump instead most of the time (close combat hits while jumping are still fairly easy).

The "Grow a Pair" module hasn't been released yet but will be next month. I imagine that it will be even more powerful than Seismic currently is and may even be slightly P2W. I've got more than enough C-Bills and GXP stored up for it so I'll be busy using it to troll my competition (while also participating in threads about how obnoxious it is).

Edited by FupDup, 08 June 2013 - 05:43 PM.

#168 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostSephlock, on 07 June 2013 - 01:07 AM, said:

And as for the people who sunk OMGWTF GXP to get the full Daredevil experience? Oh well. Too bad.

Advanced Zoom? Yeah,"Oh well. Too bad", testing means change.

View PostSoy, on 07 June 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

Oh no, someone had a disadvantage cuz they are less experienced, put in less effort/time, and/or are uninformed... cuz that doesn't happen with dozens of mechanics in every online game ever made...

That's like saying you lost your nose but you smell fine so everyone else should cut of their nose; at face value seems like a good argument, look beneath the surface and it's just spiteful.

As to the original idea... seems like a good one.

Edited by Sam Slade, 08 June 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#169 Huntsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

I rather wish all modules were as handy as seismic.

#170 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 08 June 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

Well, I have tried Seismic out, I have it fully unlocked for the 400m range.
It was kind of amusing watching the Cicada 3M trying to sneak around, but I actually felt kind of bad when I kept alpha striking him every time he poked his head out, 'cause I knew exactly where and when he'd show up.

That's actually a very good point. I would hope that a light would try those kinds of shenanigans at a distance and/or use their mobility to avoid that scenario, but I can see them being forced to attempt it up close.

Before this I knew that against a sneaky player in a light I'd have to be on my guard, and mistakes meant that I'd lose my rear armor before I twisted around.
You need to upgrade your engine, man :D.

Now I feel bad for them as they just get alpha'd to the face and explode.

#171 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

View PostSephlock, on 08 June 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

That's actually a very good point. I would hope that a light would try those kinds of shenanigans at a distance and/or use their mobility to avoid that scenario, but I can see them being forced to attempt it up close.

This is mostly due to MWO/BT's way of handling weapon tonnages and ranges. The heavy stuff tends to shooter farther and the little stuff tends to not shoot so far. The exception to this is Autocannons, but they weigh so much that they aren't really worth it at all on lights. LRMs have great weight, but they're pretty situational for various reasons (need to maintain LOS but that's dangerous when the enemy sees you, AMS, etc.) and no current lights have very many missile tubes to take advantage of Lurms. The ERPPC is sorta alright, but it often requires a sacrifice in speed or something else if you plan on carrying more than one weapon and especially leaves you vulnerable to enemy lights/fast mediums configured for close combat.

We need lightweight, long-range weapons like the Light PPC, Mortars, and some kind of non-canon baby Gauss Rifle. Until then, the primary weapons that lights can use effectively will be down to ML, SRMs, and SSRMs.

Edited by FupDup, 08 June 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#172 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

I love my seismic (and I'm a light pilot), but I think they should nerf it just so we can see the famously "chill" Soy go nuclear.

Too bad he's too cool for us and going out now. None of the rest of us is cool enough to go out :D I mean, that's why we don't announce it on the forums, right?

#173 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostSephlock, on 08 June 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

You need to upgrade your engine, man :D.

Actually, I heavily upsize the engines in my assaults. I also lower the rear armor severely since it's rare I get shot there while snipe shots to the face are very common.

I should be punished for running 10 armor (on occasion) on my assault's rear section, it very very rarely happens.

Edited by One Medic Army, 08 June 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#174 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostInRev, on 08 June 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

I love my seismic (and I'm a light pilot), but I think they should nerf it just so we can see the famously "chill" Soy go nuclear.

Too bad he's too cool for us and going out now. None of the rest of us is cool enough to go out :) I mean, that's why we don't announce it on the forums, right?

He forgot to use his coolant flush.

It would also be hilarious to nerf Seismic just for that single reason alone. Being a member of the L2Adapt crowd, he wouldn't be able to say anything negative about it whatsoever because he should take his own advice and just adapt. :D

Relevant:

Edited by FupDup, 08 June 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#175 Drake159

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

First off let me say I think the Seismic Sensor is great...Love It!

That being said it is a little OP.

To fix this I think the original solution suggested is on the right track but:

1. SS should not be disabled when moving, but instead simply reduced in effectiveness based on the relative weight and speeds of your mech and the target mech.

and/or

2. SS should not be 100% accurate. The ping should be a red cone (or circle to give approx. distance as well) on your radar, maybe 30 deg. wide showing the approx. direction of the signal. This would become more accurate (both cone width and/or distance) when the signal is from faster/heavier/closer mechs. (A 100 ton atlas at full speed at 100m could be 100% accurate, where a spider at low speed at 300m would be the full 30 deg arc or no return at all).

*If using #1 as well the effectiveness would simply drop towards the lower end of the accuracy scale if you were moving based on your speed and weight.*

#176 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 June 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

We need lightweight, long-range weapons like the Light PPC, Mortars, and some kind of non-canon baby Gauss Rifle. Until then, the primary weapons that lights can use effectively will be down to ML, SRMs, and SSRMs.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/AP_Gauss

http://www.sarna.net...ght_Gauss_Rifle

#177 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostSephlock, on 08 June 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

AP Gauss is Clan tech and has Medium Laser range. :\ Although that would still be a good way to fill ballistic slots on a Spider, Raven, or upcoming Flea. The Inner Sphere equivalent is the Magshot, which does less damage, takes up 2 crits, and has a little bit more ammo (same range). Neither fit the timeline.

Light Gauss is 12 tons...not exactly light mech material. O_o I just wish for a "Micro Gauss" that weighed in around 5 tons or so. Also outside of the timeline.

Edited by FupDup, 08 June 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#178 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

This thread is two weeks late.

I await the Seismic nerf that will occur in less than two weeks. By then, it'll be Seismic headache™ for someone else.

#179 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 June 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

Sorry, but MWO shouldn't be Steiner Scout Lance: The Game.

It's been like that for a couple months now... all I need is a blue glove and make a fist and I'm set.

#180 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 08 June 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

It's been like that for a couple months now... all I need is a blue glove and make a fist and I'm set.

MC cockpit item that gives your pilot blue gloves?

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users