Seismic Is Crazy Op - How To Balance

291 replies to this topic

Poll: Proposed Seismic Sensor Modification (223 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Seismic Sensor be disabled while your Mech is moving?

1. Yes. It needs to be nerfed and this is a good way to achieve that. (101 votes [45.29%])

Percentage of vote: 45.29%

2. No. It is fine the way it is. (83 votes [37.22%])

Percentage of vote: 37.22%

3. No. I have a better idea which I explained in my post. (39 votes [17.49%])

Percentage of vote: 17.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#261 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 15 July 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

Premium account = 50% bonus to XP
Hero mech = 30% bouns to XP C-Bills

Fixed.

#262 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostLord of All, on 15 July 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

Not quite, everyone doesn't have 22k GXP for their wall hack.

Only real tweak thats absolutely needed is for it to not work while the mech it's on is moving, that is just stupid.

It's 17.5K. 7.5K for basic, 10K more for advanced.

View PostViktor Drake, on 15 July 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

Premium account = 50% bonus to XP
Hero mech = 30% bouns to XP

It's a 30% bonus to C-bills.

You're may be thinking of Champion mechs for the 10% XP bonus.

#263 Kunae

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

No, it needs to be removed. Period.

#264 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostKunae, on 15 July 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

No, it needs to be removed. Period.

Word of Paul 7:15 said:

No.

#265 Mr Rulle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

In my opinion they have really nerfed the game when they added this device.
You cant flank the enemy team any longer.
Every time you try ,you will find yourself staring down the end of a barrel or 100.

It shouldnt be nerfed . Give your game a buff and remove seismic entirely.
The game is pretty thin as it is ,no point in making it thinner.
My 2c.

Edited by Mr Rulle, 15 July 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#266 Kensaisama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationRedford, Michigan

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostAppogee, on 07 June 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

I just installed my first Seismic Sensor Module.

It's ridiculously OP. I can now see when enemies are around corners, behind cover, behind me... anywhere. It's effectively a sanctioned wallhack, and it provides a ridiculously large advantage to those who have it vs those who don't.

Balancing Seismic Sensor would be relatively easy... Seismic Sensor should be disabled while you are moving.

This not only makes logical sense (come one, how could a sensor detect enemies behind a hill hundreds of metres away, over your own 40 to 100 ton footsteps?) but it would also keep the module useful at times without being OP.

Implementing this balancing solution would require just one additional line of code...
IF Speed >0.1 THEN [bypass Seismic Sensor module readout].

I added a poll in case you'd like to show your support or opposition to this idea, or offer a different idea.

So I guess in an advanced age of electronics there are no filters to remove your seismic signature from being picked up by your own sensor array. Large maps make seismic sensors situational anyway, and there will be more large maps rolling out in the future. While I have not read every single reply to this topic, I am sure someone has pointed this out, I know I have in similar threads, unfortunetly it falls on deaf ears (blinders in this case). The module is only powerful on small maps, larger maps will be released when they become available, so don't get your panties in a bunch and scream nerf now.

#267 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

The solution is simple seeming, but complex to implement. Your own movement should reduce the effectiveness of the sensor.

So at 100% throttle it's 1/2 effect.

Pretty straightforward and accounts for your own 'feedback' into the sensor while moving.

#268 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostKensaisama, on 15 July 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

While I have not read every single reply to this topic, I am sure someone has pointed this out, I know I have in similar threads, unfortunetly it falls on deaf ears (blinders in this case).
So, you haven't read this thread, but you complain about your words of immense wisdom in other threads ''falling on deaf ears''?

Irony, much?

View PostKensaisama, on 15 July 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

The module is only powerful on small maps, larger maps will be released when they become available, so don't get your panties in a bunch and scream nerf now.
And how exactly will that change the fact that it's already OP on small maps and will continue to be so? Having modules that are broken on some maps and not on others would be even more stupid.

By the way, I wrote this thread more than seven weeks ago. It was bumped up by someone yesterday who also thinks Seismic is OP, and who made a good suggestion on how to make it less so.

Edited by Appogee, 15 July 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#269 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:12 AM

So Seismic is gonna be nerfed only in range and not in functionality. Down to 180 and 250m. Way to not understand the nature of the problem, Paul.

Damn, this really makes me sad. And you know why? Because so far I REFUSED to install it on all my 'mechs hoping for a reasonable nerf that didn't make it a mandatory module.

After today's "nerf" I will simply have to put it on every single 'mech since it's just plain stupid not to have it. Decreasing the range of the cheat is not fixing the cheat, Paul. And the tactical layer of this game has just been officially dumbed down. Way to NOT be ambitious at all. Freakin sad day for this game.

#270 Gulinborsti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 185 posts
  • LocationVienna/Austria

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:27 AM

View PostLugh, on 15 July 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

The solution is simple seeming, but complex to implement. Your own movement should reduce the effectiveness of the sensor.

So at 100% throttle it's 1/2 effect.

Pretty straightforward and accounts for your own 'feedback' into the sensor while moving.

This, close to the original suggestion.

Paired with the upcoming range nerf the device will be pretty much where it should be.

#271 QuaxDerBruchpilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 319 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:31 AM

I would favor two things to bring down the Seismics value to normal:

> reduce accuracy when own mech is moving, or at least excceds a certain speed limit (maybe 1/3 of the 'Mechs maximum speed)
> display the general direction (like the "hostile fire" indicator) and intensity of the seismic signal only. That way you would know that something is within a certain arc from your mech, and depending on the strenght it may be a heavy mech far away or a light one close up.

#272 Degalus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 364 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:40 AM

Why is it Op? Ever played older Mechwarrior titles?
I remember the closed beta time where players was angry because they dont see everyone at the radar like in the titles before.
Why the hate about it now? Because it consumes a Modul slot? or because not everyone can have it without spending anything?
Currently i can fake a flank and hide behind covers or buildings only by standing still. Mostly they try to search the direction where i was running and so i can pop out behind them.
I like the Seismic, not because its easy play, more because its give me more tactical challenge and less hide and seek gamplay.
But thats only my opinion.

If i need to swing the nerfhammer i would make it like the Motion Tracker from Aliens 2. So the Seismic would show Enemys and friendly. In the Alien Games its a huge factor to not know what the ping realy is.

#273 Araevin Teshurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 368 posts
  • LocationIn your base, eating your food!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:49 AM

The only people that don't want it are those that don't want to pay for it. Close this useless thread.
Seismic is part of the game, part of the MWO universe; if you don't like it, go play another game and stop crying like babies.

#274 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

I have more money than I can spend in this game, their money sinks are just ridiculous at this point, so no you are wrong.

The only people who want Seismic the way it is are those who like their games very simple and dumbed down to the "stupid" difficulty level. I guess they can't stand the pressure of having to actually communicate with teammates to find out where the enemy is, or they are not good enough to use scouts to achieve the same results. No, they want the game as easy as a slow-motion Call of Duty, and next thing they are gonna ask for is a blue light that tells you if you are being targeted because it is part of the MWO (?) Universe and because OMG THE SHOOT ME BEFORE I SEE THEM HOW WRONG IS THAT?

#275 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

About money and module spaces, what people don't understand is that for how powerful it is now, I would put it on my 'mechs even if it costed 20M instead of 6, and if it took all the module slots instead of 1.

Think about it.

#276 Araevin Teshurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 368 posts
  • LocationIn your base, eating your food!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

You can't get the 20million easily, or the 6million easily, it takes work. 8-)

View PostLefteye, on 16 July 2013 - 04:33 AM, said:

About money and module spaces, what people don't understand is that for how powerful it is now, I would put it on my 'mechs even if it costed 20M instead of 6, and if it took all the module slots instead of 1.

Think about it.

#277 ImperialParadox

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

It seems like a logical run-through of seismic sensors would be the following:

1) Anything that moves is picked up by the sensor. Perhaps your radar overlay could still show the arrows to help you determine if that seismic hit is a friend or foe, but if you move or your allies move you have to take the second to determine what's causing the hit.

2) As an extension of this, multiple seismic hits clustered together would create a sort of blob of red as all the sources that you are detecting bleed together; this blob could be utilized by light mechs to sneak in, since their own seismic hit will be lost in the sea of red.

3) Perhaps add a tonnage/speed consideration to what shows up on seismic. I'd say that a light mech travelling under a certain speed wouldn't produce a seismic reading, and the range at which a mech shows up on seismic would also be based on tonnage. This would allow you to be sneaky, and add more tactical options to what you bring to a match and why.

#278 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:48 AM

Considering that practically EVERYTHING in this game (weapons included) requires LOS.. the only bit of stuff that doesn't follow that paradigm is ECM, BAP (when countering ECM), and Seismic.

Clearly, someone didn't think this through.

#279 The Original Prankster

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:53 AM

View PostRelaed, on 16 July 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

You can't get the 20million easily, or the 6million easily, it takes work. 8-)

Blah. Everyone who's played the game even a bit longer surely has one already, and would've had enough money 20 times over. The cost is about the same as buying and outfitting a single light mech to perfection, propably not even that considering how much XL engines cost.

#280 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:59 AM

Exactly.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users