Battletech Books For People With Short Attention Spans?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop113

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:29 AM

Hey guys! I was just wondering if you could give me some advice on which battletech books to pickup, I'm leaving for Portland late this week and it would be nice to have something to read while I have mech on the brain(ow!)

Problem is I kind of having a problem getting into books, most of the ones I've enjoyed over the years have been very descriptive, written in first person(or narrated!) and typically are full of action, descriptions of battles etc.

So if you could suggest some of the books that fit that description that would be great, I really like Mech battles, maybe not so much the politics :)

#2 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:52 AM

Hmmh, not exactly my cup of tea, but from what I've heard(!) wouldn't this apply to Stackpole's stuff, at least some of it? He's the only Battletech author who (reportedly) used first person - which I feel comes from a slight tendency of doing self-inserts, of course picturing his character as a strong and successful MechWarrior who wins battle after glorious battle.

Maybe someone who has first-hand experience with those books can comment. It may be a direction worth to investigate in this case.

[edit] Aha, there we go. Here's an excerpt from Ghost War:
https://ebookstore.s...766#readExcerpt

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 11 June 2013 - 04:57 AM.

#3 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:00 AM

My advice: http://www.sarna.net...at_Thunder_Rift

The book starts with a guy getting cut in half by saboteur who wields one of these.

There are also plenty of battles, backstabbing, war crimes and a vengeance subplot.

Can't remember if it was first person, don't have access to my books right now.

Edited by Stormwolf, 11 June 2013 - 05:02 AM.

#4 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

I always liked the Archer Christifori series, they are later in the timeline, being FedCom Civil War, but they have good characters, and good action, as well as some Clan combat, those books are:

Measure of a Hero

Call of Duty

Operation Audacity

[Redacted]

Happy reading!

Edited by Egomane, 14 June 2013 - 09:42 AM.
CoC violation

#5 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

I feel the following books will give you a good feel of the BaatleTech Universe.

I would start with the Warrior Trilogy by Michael A. Stackpole, is about the events before and during the Fourth Succession War( 3028 to 3030). The main acts are the wedding of Hanse Davion and Melissa Steiner, the experiences of Justin Xiang on Solaris VII and as spy on Sian, the vendetta between Morgan Kell and Yorinaga Kurita, the machinations of Michael Hasek-Davion and of subversive elements inside the Steiner nobility, ComStar's secret manipulations and of course the most important battles of the war.

Heir to the Dragon, by Robert N. Charrette, follows Theodore Kurita for twenty-two years as he learns to survive and thrive in the subtle and deadly courts of the Draconis Combine. The novel is also the only narrative of the War of 3039.

The Saga of the Gray Death Legion is a series of books about the famed Gray Death Legion mercenary unit. Most of the novels are by William H. Keith, Jr., with additional writing by Andrew Keith and Thomas S. Gressman. (This is the Mercenary unit that found the Helm Memory core that brought back Star League Tech right as the Clans hit.)

The Legend of the Jade Phoenix trilogy, by Robert Thurston, is the story of the fall and redemption of Aidan Pryde, hero of Clan Jade Falcon.

Blood of Kerensky is a trilogy by Michael A. Stackpole about the Clan Invasion (3049 - 3052)
There are many other fine novels you can read. Here is a complete list of BattleTech Novels.

[Redacted]
v This is a list that I made over a year ago and I post when someone asks for a recommendation.

Edited by Egomane, 14 June 2013 - 09:43 AM.
quote clean-up

#6 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:21 AM

^ Was that a pre-made list? Because even though I've only read one from it (Heir to the Dragon), I have a feeling that this one will not fit to what OP is looking for. I refrained from naming my favourites because OP has a different taste to me, and is looking more for "light fate", so to speak - and whilst I absolutely love Heir to the Dragon I would say it is somewhat more about the internal politics of House Kurita and the rise of Theodore-sama, rather than light-to-digest "battle ****" (even though it, like all BT novels I've read so far, has some combat).

[edit] wow, even the publicly recognised term for erotical movies is filtered? :)

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 12 June 2013 - 04:28 AM.

#7 Bishop113

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:29 AM

Hey thanks guys, great suggestions. I have the three warrior novels on my kindle already from months ago.

I see a few listed that sound like they'll work for me so I'll pick those up before I head out.

Thanks!

#8 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

I'd suggest http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Shrapnel, which is a collection of short stories. While covering a mixture of topics, the stories lean less on the politics.

#9 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

A small reminder:

All Battletech books (Novels, Tactical Readout, Rulebooks, etc.) are still protected by copyright. There are no free copies legally available on the internet.

Please do not post links leading to such pirated content to the MWO forums.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users