#21 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostLil Cthulhu, on 14 June 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

Catapults are support mechs, Stalkers are support mechs, Jagermechs are support mechs.... do I need to continue?

None of those have the same asininely sized head hit box. If you want to play the support mech card for the large head hitbox, shouldn't all support mechs have equally as large a head hit box.

WHOA THERE! SLOW DOWN LIL CTHULHU! THERE'S NO ROOM FOR RATIONAL THOUGHT HERE ON THE INTERWEBS AND ESPECIALLY NOT HERE ON THE MWO FORUMS!

I realize blah blah mech quirks blah blah ******** but there is no reason that some 40 point alpha ***** should be able to take a mech out in one shot from 8xx meters.

The head is what balances out the catapults advantages. Each mech has a different way to be used that fits one's playstyle. Why don't you do a exercise and list all advantages and disadvantages of these 'support' mechs. Include tonnage.

#22 Lil Cthulhu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 554 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

View PostDarren Tyler, on 14 June 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

The head is what balances out the catapults advantages. Each mech has a different way to be used that fits one's playstyle. Why don't you do a exercise and list all advantages and disadvantages of these 'support' mechs. Include tonnage.

Since the torso twist and pitch nerf, the only real advantage to the catapult is a slim profile and the ability to mount two large ballistics on the side torsos.

Don't get me wrong, I love and pilot the hell out of catapults with a great degree of success but you're a certified loon if you think the head hitbox is fine when lets say..... oh the cataphract, microscopic hitbox only on the very center window pane of the cockpit.

Edited by Lil Cthulhu, 14 June 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#23 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

Catapults are support mechs, Stalkers are support mechs, Jagermechs are support mechs.... do I need to continue?

None of those have the same asininely sized head hit box. If you want to play the support mech card for the large head hitbox, shouldn't all support mechs have equally as large a head hit box.

Exactly. The whole "Cat's are support mechs" argument is so overused and honestly, just a bit naive. Are we to assume that each mech PGI releases is ONLY meant to fit the roll described in the lore? Why even let us customize them then?

Alright everyone, no more PPC Stalkers, only LRMs. Hey AC20 Jager, don't do that! You're our anti-air mech, remember? AA mechs don't use AC20s. Here's some nice AC2's for you to shoot down fighters. What's that? There's nothing to shoot down? Oh well, just pretend there is and shoot the air. After all, that's what the lore says you do.

#24 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostShadowVFX, on 14 June 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

Exactly. The whole "Cat's are support mechs" argument is so overused and honestly, just a bit naive. Are we to assume that each mech PGI releases is ONLY meant to fit the roll described in the lore? Why even let us customize them then?

Alright everyone, no more PPC Stalkers, only LRMs. Hey AC20 Jager, don't do that! You're our anti-air mech, remember? AA mechs don't use AC20s. Here's some nice AC2's for you to shoot down fighters. What's that? There's nothing to shoot down? Oh well, just pretend there is and shoot the air. After all, that's what the lore says you do.

Autocannons don't shoot down aircraft, LBX's do. DUH DUH DIR.

#25 Unbound Inferno

• 1,168 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostDarren Tyler, on 14 June 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

What advantage, really? The ONLY advantage most Cats have over the other options is the JJ and slight speed.

That slight advantage is offset by being larger than a Stalker, a head hitbox the size of a Jag's side torso and arms you can't miss.

Not sure - but that doesn't seem to pan out.

#26 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

Think about the name of the 'Mech.

"Catapult."

Catapults are made to lob large quantities of deadly at things, not charge them and run them over.

#27 Lil Cthulhu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 554 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostDarren Tyler, on 14 June 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

Autocannons don't shoot down aircraft, LBX's do. DUH DUH DIR.

LBX is an autocannon.

HUCKA DURRRRR

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/LB_10-X_AC

(pssst, I'm pretty sure the AC stand for AutoCannon)

Edited by Lil Cthulhu, 14 June 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#28 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostLil Cthulhu, on 14 June 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

LBX is an autocannon.

HUCKA DURRRRR

If you were smart you would know I am referring to the standard autocannon and the LBX variant.

#29 Lil Cthulhu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 554 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostDarren Tyler, on 14 June 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

If you were smart you would know I am referring to the standard autocannon and the LBX variant.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/JagerMech

Read the first paragraph, look at the stock armament. Invite yourself to sit the rest of this conversation out.

(psssst, the LBX isn't a long range weapon)

Edited by Lil Cthulhu, 14 June 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#30 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

i've headshotted so many catapults on my medium laser boat

#31 Funkadelic Mayhem

• Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

only if the "legspot" on the lights is lowered. :D

By the time the over 30's are done with this game we are going to only have 1 mech and 1 weapon to choose from.

Edited by Funkadelic Mayhem, 14 June 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#32 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 14 June 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

Think about the name of the 'Mech.

"Catapult."

Catapults are made to lob large quantities of deadly at things, not charge them and run them over.

It does do well as a brawler though. I guess it can do both well *shrug*

Look, I just think of the head hitbox as a quirk of the chassis. With the 4+ PPC builds and dual AC20 builds out there running around more than ever, that is why we are having this conversation in the first place. If it wasn't for the high alpha pin-point builds, people would even notice the larger than usual head hitbox.

I'm not saying I wouldn't mind seeing a smaller hitbox, I just deal with it as is.

#33 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 14 June 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

It does do well as a brawler though. I guess it can do both well *shrug*

Look, I just think of the head hitbox as a quirk of the chassis. With the 4+ PPC builds and dual AC20 builds out there running around more than ever, that is why we are having this conversation in the first place. If it wasn't for the high alpha pin-point builds, people would even notice the larger than usual head hitbox.

I'm not saying I wouldn't mind seeing a smaller hitbox, I just deal with it as is.

Yes, it can brawl, but it isn't optimized for it. High alpha should not be used all the time, but as a final punch, or a final shot before you die as you are swarmed.

#34 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

WHOA THERE! SLOW DOWN LIL CTHULHU! THERE'S NO ROOM FOR RATIONAL THOUGHT HERE ON THE INTERWEBS AND ESPECIALLY NOT HERE ON THE MWO FORUMS!

I realize blah blah mech quirks blah blah ******** but there is no reason that some 40 point alpha strumpet should be able to take a mech out in one shot from 8xx meters.

Because all these mechs have their ups and downs, all have different ways to be used in their role you want them for or the role they are optimized for. Yes lets make this boring and introduce the same downs. Sure none are as significant as a giant head but ALL have their ups and downs. Thinking that all should have a large is SIMPLY boring. Yes, lets have all mechs pretty much be the same blah blah. If you don't like the catapult, then choose another mech to your liking. I, for one, enjoy my A1 and C4.

#35 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostDarren Tyler, on 14 June 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

Because all these mechs have their ups and downs, all have different ways to be used in their role you want them for or the role they are optimized for. Yes lets make this boring and introduce the same downs. Sure none are as significant as a giant head but ALL have their ups and downs. Thinking that all should have a large is SIMPLY boring. Yes, lets have all mechs pretty much be the same blah blah. If you don't like the catapult, then choose another mech to your liking. I, for one, enjoy my A1 and C4.

The only other 'Mech with such bad hitboxes on the scale of the Catapult is the Awesome, and it has way more armor in the CT than the Catapult has on its cockpit.

#36 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 14 June 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

Working as intended.

Except that it's not. The devs have said it will have an adjustment. Frankly, it should. If you really think without its head hitbox it would somehow be overpowered, then I'd like to know what you're smoking. Right now if you're even halfway decent at aiming, they are often free kills.

Bryan Ekman said:

DarkhorseBW: Why are there different types of cockpit hit boxes? For example, the Cataphract's cockpit is only its 1 front center window, but the Catapult's cockpit is all of its windows?
A: It’s getting adjusted to be similar. It’s Paul’s favorite mech, so I made sure everyone could kill him more easily.

Edited by Gallowglas, 14 June 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#37 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostVolthorne, on 14 June 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

The only other 'Mech with such bad hitboxes on the scale of the Catapult is the Awesome, and it has way more armor in the CT than the Catapult has on its cockpit.

The awesome is ineffective in its role because a STALKER can easily replace it, and has a smaller profile.
Catapults are useful, the awesome is not.
You guys are just complaining because you cannot put it to a proper use.

#38 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostDarren Tyler, on 14 June 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

The awesome is ineffective in its role because a STALKER can easily replace it, and has a smaller profile.

I'm criticizing them (not complaining) because I can kill them (as opposed to just crippling them) far easier than any other mech, not because I can't play one effectively.

It's a moot point anyway. They're being normalized.

Edited by Gallowglas, 14 June 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#39 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostDarren Tyler, on 14 June 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

***** please, you haven't even seen me play. Doersn't change the fact that the Catapult has an atrociously large cockpit hitbox - the only 'Mech you can headcap from the SIDE to be exact.

#40 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostGallowglas, on 14 June 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

I'm criticizing them (not complaining) because I can kill them (as opposed to just crippling them) far easier than any other mech, not because I can't play one effectively.

I was referring to the rest of the crowd who drives catapults and thinks they get headshotted too much but yes, they are easier to kill and should, at least if you got a clear shot at them while he is staying still or your in close with the guy.

View PostVolthorne, on 14 June 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

***** please, you haven't even seen me play. Doersn't change the fact that the Catapult has an atrociously large cockpit hitbox - the only 'Mech you can headcap from the SIDE to be exact.

Yes, IT DOES'T change that fact and never will, you gotta adapt.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users