• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 14 June 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

I don't understand why you are disappointed about:
  • 3PV being excluded from Mercenary Warfare
"For now". PGI does always reserve the right to change its mind and drop the ball at the same time.

View PostApostal, on 14 June 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

What I'm more disappointed in is the fact 12v12 is still behind schedule but completely dropped from any official communications now on when it's coming, or even the beginning phase of CW which was slated for around this time and the associated flood of information on CW. There are still large questions around how effective the ELO system is actually function, and now their HSR system is being affected by current code issues.

12v12's ETA is slated for July (was June, but you know, they push back dates). The issue though is that the current netcode is affecting HSR and affecting everything else, so it is kinda "reasonable" that 12v12's ETA is very dependent on seeing very few people complain about the netcode...

View PostApostal, on 14 June 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

The problem is that we on the forums aren't on the demographic they want... stated previously, so in essence we're chopped liver? Canon fodder? Oh I know Cash Cows!

That is the other thing that stands out... so how many actual forum users have received questionnaires? Probably none because we're not the demographic, that's the console players or those with 5 or less posts on these forums which bypasses the actual community who offer suggestions and feedback in these toned down segmented forums. Their just continuing their segmentation of the forum community from their target demographic, in essence... "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil".

There are questionnaires? I don't remember ever filling out one, except for the ones from support, where I spout my disdain about the answers I got.

#102 ilikain

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostJason Radick, on 14 June 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

GB Tarkus: When can we expect to see SLI/Crossfire and TrackIR in game.
A: When our team has extra time.

ugh, really? SLI or Crossfire would make the game much more enjoyable for many. Pay the crew some O/T and just get it out of the way.

They had to get 3PV in, they couldn't work on this...

James Montana: Can you add a simple eject animation and effect? Even if it is only a modified missile that shoots out of the head and disappears off map?
A: Maybe once we get all of the critical features out of the way.

This is higher on my list of 'critical features' than 3PV... grrrrrrr

#103 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

3pv is a business decision. There were at least 2 polls I saw on this and 90%+ said no to 3pv. But with it they will attract many more paying shooter-style players while calling 1pv sim players "hard core".

But, we all know what will happen. 3rd will have usual tactical advantage so it will be the norm and everyone will have to use it in order to compete. "Hard core" 1pv play will become rare and derided as nerdy rp playing.

Also, once 3rd is introduced and becomes the norm, why buy cockpit swag at all?

I love this game but this is a sacrifice to attract more players.. plain and simple.

#104 Grimmnyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostICEFANG13, on 14 June 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

Considering that 3rd person wasn't going to be a part of MWO, I would be surprised if they remained separate for long. Heck they might not even start out separate.

So, what are the Vegas odds that 3rd person and first person will still be separate out of beta?

#105 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 14 June 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

So, what are the Vegas odds that 3rd person and first person will still be separate out of beta?

3 to 1

:)

3 is a magic #

Edit: It will most likely be separate when it is out of beta in September. The issue is that there is also a 3 to 1 odds that this will change months later.

Edited by Deathlike, 14 June 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#106 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

In response to all Q and A regarding the weapon balance passes and ongoing adjustment:
Hit detection is broken. At any given time, for any weapon, you can shoot it, hit, and see 0-100% dmg depending on your luck. It is affecting peoples tactics, their loadouts, and their perceptions of what works. You can see it on instant eapons like AC20, but it becomes more and more noticable as hit count increases, like say, a doom blob of LRM60+artemis out of an awesome 8R, or 4 LL shots into a hunchback with the long hitscan duration.

How can PGI balance a weapon when it doesnt deliver the same dmg from shot to shot? This needs to be priority one, or you guys will just end up starting completely over on balance again. LRM's might seem ok now, when a Phract can eat 4 salvos of LRM45 artemis and get yellow armor. but how bout when it works right and LRM60 hits a jager and turns it from 100% to orange internals in one shot? HOW CAN LRM BALANCE POSSIBLY BE WORKED ON WITH THIS MUCH VARIATION IN DETECTION? Same for everything really. If a LL hit is only detecting 25% of the hitscan hits, how can we know if it is balanced vs other systems?

#107 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

View PostOvenRude, on 14 June 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

I can log into Dota 2 right now, and right on the log in screen, it tells you how many unique players logged in that month. Don't tell yourself lies and believe them to be true. I'm pretty sure that DOTA 2 counts as a successful F2P. League of Legends also posts overall player counts on the regular.

and yet Conan, Lotro, and Neverwinter do not...

#108 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostBlueSanta, on 14 June 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

I just want to say that I want a "HARDCORE" banner in my cockpit when this game launches because I managed to survive the trying days of open beta when all we had was FPV.

Also, you're silly for thinking that many more people will play 3PV than FPV. 90%+ of the forums don't want it. I know you refuse to believe the majority opinion on the forums represents the majority opinion of the community, but, come on.

Yes, the loud angry 3,000 at most represents 480,000 people. Wonderful logic.

View PostBraggart, on 14 June 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

the amount of crest humping will be unbelievable. in 3rd person, the first person to step out of cover to advance is gonna get hammered beyond belief.

I like to post.

About nothing specific in fact.

Just opinions that I force feed forum users as facts.

Please, tell me how something will work.

When the vast majority of us haven't seen something implemented.

I'm curious how people draw conclusions based on facts from something they've neither tested nor seen.

Please, tell me how you do this.

View Postilikain, on 14 June 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

I do not post often, but I am seriously annoyed by the 3PV... WTH!

Do you seriously think this is going to bring in THAT MUCH MORE MONEY? I cannot imagine that it will, but in exchange you **** off a huge contingent of your paying customers. <baffle> <boggle><I Don't even>

Grr...

Another thing that really peeves me, the work that had to be done to get 3PV in the game COULD AHVE BEEN USED ELSEWHERE to make the game better...

DOUBLE GRR!

I think it's obvious they are making the game better. There will be less whiny crying forum users once 3rd person hits. I wait for the day eagerly.

View PostLakeDaemon, on 14 June 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

3pv is a business decision. There were at least 2 polls I saw on this and 90%+ said no to 3pv. But with it they will attract many more paying shooter-style players while calling 1pv sim players "hard core".

But, we all know what will happen. 3rd will have usual tactical advantage so it will be the norm and everyone will have to use it in order to compete. "Hard core" 1pv play will become rare and derided as nerdy rp playing.

I love this game but this is a sacrifice to attract more players.. plain and simple.

I wonder if people really think before they comment.

#109 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Thank you for answering my question...it was a topic that had me VERY concerned.

The forums are already giving you grief for giving an acceptable answer by suggesting you'll change your mind.

I truly, sincerely hope you prove them wrong by sticking to scheduled matches as first person only.

Thanks again.

#110 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

View PostTennex, on 14 June 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

think of it this way. You are now all hardcore players! isn't that awesome

not I, will be quite happy to be normal...

#111 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

View PostPando, on 14 June 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

Yes, the loud angry 3,000 at most represents 480,000 people. Wonderful logic.

I like to post.

About nothing specific in fact.

Just opinions that I force feed forum users as facts.

Please, tell me how something will work.

When the vast majority of us haven't seen something implemented.

I'm curious how people draw conclusions based on facts from something they've neither tested nor seen.

Please, tell me how you do this.

I think it's obvious they are making the game better. There will be less whiny crying forum users once 3rd person hits. I wait for the day eagerly.

Its fair to say that the 3000 people that didn't want 3rd person was not a large enough sample size, but there is no logical reason to assume that a larger sample would be any different. Can you link me a poll that shows support for 3rd person?

#112 Braggart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

View PostGhost Badger, on 14 June 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

Thank you for answering my question...it was a topic that had me VERY concerned.

The forums are already giving you grief for giving an acceptable answer by suggesting you'll change your mind.

I truly, sincerely hope you prove them wrong by sticking to scheduled matches as first person only.

Thanks again.

who will change their mind?????????????????????????????????????????????????? PGI never said anything changing their mind. The only changes in mind happen to involve money, and they are always in favor of making more money.

As a business owner, my decisions are not always based on what makes me the most money, but what is right to do for my customers.

#113 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

These two statements do not jive real well:
"We anticipate most players will play the first mode leaving the hardcore mode for the those wanting a challenge."
and
" I think most people will be pleasantly surprised how little the camera impacts gameplay. Early tests are showing that there is not much of an advantage."
What is the challenge offered by FPV exclusively if the camera has so little impact?

#114 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

View PostPando, on 14 June 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

You disagree which is fine. Your opinion... I stand by mine. What I dont want to see is 1pv becoming a relic of beta. If PGI pulls it off and makes a great 3pv that can appeal to everyone then Im fine with that. I dont think there is any question that 3pv is being added to attract a larger lobby. Its not a bad thing as long as it doesnt split the community. Like you said, we will see. 3pv destroyed MW4's community. I hope you are right and it ends up being great.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 14 June 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#115 VanillaG

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationIn my parent's basement

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

I am going to have a good laugh when 3PV is revealed to be just behind your pilot's head and allows you to see your entire cockpit without having to ctrl+mouse to look around.

#116 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 14 June 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

There are no 3rd person shooting games in the modern world, EXCEPT for world of tanks.

You don't have it in CoD.
You don't have it in battlefield.
You don't have it in anything.

Over the shoulder action-adventure games, like mass effect and hitman? Yes. Those are not shooters. They want to grab that world of tanks audience. That's all there's to this.

End of discussion.

#117 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 14 June 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

[/list] &quot;For now&quot;. PGI does always reserve the right to change its mind and drop the ball at the same time.

12v12's ETA is slated for July (was June, but you know, they push back dates). The issue though is that the current netcode is affecting HSR and affecting everything else, so it is kinda &quot;reasonable&quot; that 12v12's ETA is very dependent on seeing very few people complain about the netcode...

There are questionnaires? I don't remember ever filling out one, except for the ones from support, where I spout my disdain about the answers I got.

Wait.... I thought they "fixed" the netcode problem. Wasn't that the whole point of HSR?

#118 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

View PostICEFANG13, on 14 June 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

Its fair to say that the 3000 people that didn't want 3rd person was not a large enough sample size, but there is no logical reason to assume that a larger sample would be any different. Can you link me a poll that shows support for 3rd person?

None have been created to my knowledge. If I were to create a thread pro 1st person view after 3rd person view is implemented highlighting the pros and cons of each I would be trolled, flamed and spammed with hate-mail from the angry 3,000 minority. It is asinine at best to assume 3,000 people represent 480,000 people. It is absurdly moronic at worst.

#119 Logen Ninefingers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 127 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

And I was going to spend another 100$ but now I simply can not justify to spend money on a non3rd person sim going the wrong way.
Sorry PGI, I saw a real value for my 120$ a year ago but not today, even with all that new mechs and maps. Because I don't have much time to play I was planning to buy Quickdraws and Victors for MCs

I don't have a problem with the back and forth tuning of weapons, heat and stuff, I'm working as a software tester and know about the complexity of testing,depth and bumerang effects of small changes.

It's sad to see that an ATD doesn't get 25 pages of replies in a few hours. PGIs target demographic does not seem to fill the empty ranks of hardcore sim nerds™. I wonder why? At least a few of the new people you are trying to convince by offering 3rd should come here and cheer...

My humble advice, please satisfy the customers you have first, they'll get you more new players than 3rd. I talked 7 guys from my company into this game 2 of them decided to be founders, all of them are not playing right now, they are waiting for more content, not new mechs or maps but game modes. To make 8 out of 1 is a fantastic rate, most advertisers dream of such ratios. So please don't drive or write us off.

Your chosen target demographic has many games to play, we only have 1.5 if you count that other game.

#120 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostLonestar1771, on 14 June 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

Wait.... I thought they "fixed" the netcode problem. Wasn't that the whole point of HSR?

I forgot who mentioned it, but they said that in some NGNG podcast, they found another issue. I'm still suffering the effects of the netcode, so until then, it's bleh.

When your ping is unstable, HSR is not as effective.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users