Ask The Devs 40 - Answered!

659 replies to this topic

#621 ROJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationDubai

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:51 AM

^ I agree on these point and I will keep protesting about the idea that PGI are listening to the wrong people when it comes to the development of this game.. Some people make lame demands to change this game just because it doesn't suit their liking or they never were familiar with an MW game..

I understand they want are larger client-base but they are going in the wrong direction by paying less attention to what veteran MW players and communities out there have to say..

#622 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:26 AM

At this point I simply dont care what they do with this game. My interest has gotten pretty low for this game anymore, I'm so bored of it, nothing has radically changed about it for many many many months, I feel like I have been playing the final release as I dont see this game looking graphically better and offering modes to keep me interested. They just dont have the budget or size to release important items fast enough to keep it fresh.

I'm sick of the maps, the base camping and capping, the lack of unique objectives, lack of other vehicles...The list goes on.

The game just isn't all that interesting, it doesn't even look that great too me, I know it could look a lot better.

Oh well if the game fails I might not even know I dont intend to stick with this game too it's end. I'm more interested in another developer creating a mech game like this even chrome hounds but new and way better at this point. Mech series just old now.

#623 ROJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationDubai

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

^ For Graphics, I dont expect major any changes or upgrades.. The game is good enough graphically for an F2P and you really dont need to blow the game's budget on photorealisc graphics, it would be a waste.. I would personally favor exciting, mature and tactical gameplay over a dumbed down graphical behemoth..

Gameplay-wise, it is getting dull and routine like as its about time they bring in more modes, more options and polish the existing game-modes...
If it wasn't for me teaming up with a MW communities, genuine MW players and Teamspeak; I would have got bored of this game a long time ago and quit..

I hope the devs clarify where this game is going, I like this game and I enjoy it but they need to start making changes that make the game a quality game that provides a quality experience, more than working on attracting a large number of generic crowds...

Edited by ROJ, 23 June 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#624 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostROJ, on 23 June 2013 - 06:02 AM, said:

^ For Graphics, I dont expect major any changes or upgrades.

does anybody expect the move to DX11 to make any difference?

#625 Waking One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 427 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 23 June 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

does anybody expect the move to DX11 to make any difference?

It never does, DX11 in itself doesn't do much, it's what you do with it. Not sure why people are expecting it so much.

#626 Grimmnyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

View Poststjobe, on 20 June 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

If I understood Garth correctly, neither Sarah's family or PGI will get any of the profits, it will all go to (some kind of cancer research) charity.

Well, that is good to know. Although, cancer is one of the diseases that will probably never get cured, unfortunately, because it is more profitable to treat a cancer patient for years than to cure them.

#627 I3lackI2ogue

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 23 June 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

Well, that is good to know. Although, cancer is one of the diseases that will probably never get cured, unfortunately, because it is more profitable to treat a cancer patient for years than to cure them.

while true, cannabis oil is proven to slow the division of cancer cells enough for your body to fight it. it has a 70% success rate. chemotherapy has a 70% mortality rate.which is why marijuana is illegal, because big pharma wants to be able to gouge cancer patients for all they have, and having to not pay out insurance for these now disabled people that die helps to allow the government to keep the money these people put into social security.

chemotherapy costs thousands of dollars, cannabis oil costs 20 bucks for a 16oz bottle and many cancer patients report their tumors going into remission within 3 to 5 months, and being totally cancer free after a year.

at the end of the day, it boils down to greed, and the CEOs of the big companies and politicians just want to see more $$$s at the end of their net value.

/politics

Edited by I3lackI2ogue, 23 June 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#628 James Montana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 295 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

Citations needed

#629 I3lackI2ogue

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

no need to play devils advocate, there has been plenty of research done on the validity of the claim that cannibis successfully treats cancer, so there are plenty of sources :

http://bloodjournal..../2/627.full.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16908594

http://www.ukcia.org...noids/index.php

http://herb.com/guzman.pdf

http://www.thedailyb...chers-find.html

#630 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

Yes citations for straying off topic - and that topic is making the Devs feel bad.

#631 PPO Kuro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 300 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

Well even if I quite when this game isn't even remotely fun to play any more (a distinct possibility, *koff* *koff* 3PV to name one) I don't mind spending the money. I had my monies worth of fun playing this game.

The only thing that really really irritates me is the fact that in one of the earlier Q&A (or somewhere else, I know for certain that it was posted somewhere...) it was stated that there wasn't going to be 3PV. Now that it is sure to be implemented I'm annoyed by this. I know ppl that will even quite because of this (or at least that's what he says :P)

But meh, I'm not going to bash PGI for this, let's see in a few months...

#632 Lt Limpy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:50 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 14 June 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

VanillaG: Can you explain how the test server is going to work. Specifically:
  • Can anyone get onto the test system or will it be invite only?
  • Will the test system be always available or only available for specific time windows?
  • Will the test system require a different account or will the test system be periodically refreshed from the live system so we don't have to grind out existing mechs and configs?
[color=#959595]A: Anyone. On for limited hours on specific days. Same account, new client.[/color]

Posted Image

#633 Furball42

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:39 AM

Mechwarrior should always feel like a heavy game. Meaning that you should have the feeling of piloting a behemoth metal machine and not an exosuit...even for the 140kph Ravens. It should take TIME to kill an enemy 'mech (unless the whole lance unleash their fury upon a single target) and it should be able to take some damage before finally keeling over and dying kicking and screaming. Take the MW4 Vengeance intro vid. That Mad Dog took some punishment before it died.

Even the lost in time and space MW5 intro vid had that to some degree. Facing an Atlas and you know it's gonna be a fight of a lifetime. But currently I feel that is one element that is missing in MWO. It's tipping to the dark (MW4) side of things.. Don't get me wrong, I still love this game, and it is probably driven my decades of fanboynism, BUT we are piloting 'mechs, not gears, not hawken, not blacklight exo suits, not even titans, but 'mechs. Inside the cockpit currently, the feeling of piloting a beast is almost there, its just.. well, you die too quickly. Most puggles are over in 6-10mins (yeah yeah pugs i know...just saying)

And to throw my 5c into the well, I think that 3PV will take away from that immersion factor as well. When I first saw the 'mech startup sequence I thought this is gonna get old real quick, and it kinda didn't. We still quip on whether the big red / green button is the slush puppy flavour the pilot wants.. But 3PV.. no thank you. Not for competitive campaign games at least.

But the whole 3PV issue will always be there. I'm thinking of a certain zombie survival game where the hardcore players wanted to enforce FPV, but I enjoyed the third person aspect for the same reason I didn't play WoW in first person. :P But it has no place in MW..

Anyways, first post. Be gentle. (on this thread)

Edited by Furball42, 24 June 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#634 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostOvenRude, on 14 June 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

I can log into Dota 2 right now, and right on the log in screen, it tells you how many unique players logged in that month. Don't tell yourself lies and believe them to be true. I'm pretty sure that DOTA 2 counts as a successful F2P. League of Legends also posts overall player counts on the regular.

Well Dota... I actually don't know if that is, or isn't a pay to win game. League of Legends, where do they post their player base at? I play LoL, and I don't see them showing a number, it also really isn't all that important.

#635 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostFurball42, on 24 June 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

Mechwarrior should always feel like a heavy game. Meaning that you should have the feeling of piloting a behemoth metal machine and not an exosuit...even for the 140kph Ravens. It should take TIME to kill an enemy 'mech (unless the whole lance unleash their fury upon a single target) and it should be able to take some damage before finally keeling over and dying kicking and screaming. Take the MW4 Vengeance intro vid. That Mad Dog took some punishment before it died.

Even the lost in time and space MW5 intro vid had that to some degree. Facing an Atlas and you know it's gonna be a fight of a lifetime. But currently I feel that is one element that is missing in MWO. It's tipping to the dark (MW4) side of things.. Don't get me wrong, I still love this game, and it is probably driven my decades of fanboynism, BUT we are piloting 'mechs, not gears, not hawken, not blacklight exo suits, not even titans, but 'mechs. Inside the cockpit currently, the feeling of piloting a beast is almost there, its just.. well, you die too quickly. Most puggles are over in 6-10mins (yeah yeah pugs i know...just saying)

And to throw my 5c into the well, I think that 3PV will take away from that immersion factor as well. When I first saw the 'mech startup sequence I thought this is gonna get old real quick, and it kinda didn't. We still quip on whether the big red / green button is the slush puppy flavour the pilot wants.. But 3PV.. no thank you. Not for competitive campaign games at least.

But the whole 3PV issue will always be there. I'm thinking of a certain zombie survival game where the hardcore players wanted to enforce FPV, but I enjoyed the third person aspect for the same reason I didn't play WoW in first person. :ph34r: But it has no place in MW..

Anyways, first post. Be gentle. (on this thread)

You never played the tabletop did you? Mechs go down pretty darn fast in tabletop. That is why here we have things like double armor. Now there are some weapons that still need adjustment, but it is still beta, and they are still tweaking. Now they do take forever to make a tweak, and when they do, they adjust like 3-7 things all with the same basic effect, so they don't know for sure which one is actually bringing about the wanted change, and they don't know for sure which ones did nothing, or pushed it to far overboard. I remember in junior high science class, we learned you changed the minimal amount of variables at a time, so you could see your actual results. We could go for smaller patches, more often and see what the results are... I wish.

Back to the point, in tabletop MW, every time your internal is damaged, there is a chance of some real bad stuff happening. Including becoming prone on the ground if your Gyro is busted. So many other fun things as well!

#636 Event Horizon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

Sable: Jumpjet shake was a big step in the right direction. The shake seems a bit violent and disorienting and i'm sure it will be fine tuned in the future. Something just didn't seem fluid with the reticle shaking though and i came to the conclusion that it was because the rest of the HUD doesn't shake along with it making the reticle by itself seem awkward. Any plans to make the rest of the HUD shake to create a more fluid feeling?
A: Probably not, however we are tuning the shake amount to make it a little easier on the eyes.
Talk about a loaded/bias question. Jumpjets are what brought me to MWO, almost all my mechs use them. I am just waiting to play again without feeling sick, until then I stay away.

#637 Furball42

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

View PostNecroconvict, on 24 June 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

You never played the tabletop did you? Mechs go down pretty darn fast in tabletop. That is why here we have things like double armor. Now there are some weapons that still need adjustment, but it is still beta, and they are still tweaking. Now they do take forever to make a tweak, and when they do, they adjust like 3-7 things all with the same basic effect, so they don't know for sure which one is actually bringing about the wanted change, and they don't know for sure which ones did nothing, or pushed it to far overboard. I remember in junior high science class, we learned you changed the minimal amount of variables at a time, so you could see your actual results. We could go for smaller patches, more often and see what the results are... I wish.

Back to the point, in tabletop MW, every time your internal is damaged, there is a chance of some real bad stuff happening. Including becoming prone on the ground if your Gyro is busted. So many other fun things as well!

Lol, no I have played TT. And yes, you are correct in saying that the 'mechs smash down quite fast and hard.. (not even bother filling in the dots, just drawing lines through whole sections).. All I'm saying is that is just a damn shame to see something that is supposed to be the pinnacle of destruction go down too fast - least give me chance to pull the ejection handle ;) We are piloting 12m tall, 100 tons warmachines, make us feel a bit invincible before you strip it all away..

On that, I played a game last night where the only area on my 'mech that got damaged was my side torso...with my ammo...boom.. no more Catapult... Yeah i was pissed off for a brief moment, but then we started laughing about it. CASE. In such cases, yeah sure, bad things happen. It's part of the game. I've played enough Warhammer TT to accept that. I'm not saying they should make us never ending - just convey the sense of what a 'mech is...

And yeah, I also agree with your assessment on adjusting variables. Maybe their policy of just 1 or 2 patches a month should be rethought - smaller changes more often.

#638 QuaxDerBruchpilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 319 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:01 AM

View PostOvenRude, on 14 June 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

I can log into Dota 2 right now, and right on the log in screen, it tells you how many unique players logged in that month. Don't tell yourself lies and believe them to be true. I'm pretty sure that DOTA 2 counts as a successful F2P. League of Legends also posts overall player counts on the regular.

As does WOT.

#639 Anubis Ka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

First 3rd person view and now the Project Phoenix.
You guys stated this was a Mech simulator to every crybaby asking for it.
Now you expect people to drop more cash now (June/July) for something they will hopefully get in October?
Are you guys really that broke that you have to bend over for 3rd person view and charge upfront for something (Phoenix Mechs) that you seem not to have yet?

#640 MadFJohn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

i having trouble with how this is drifting from what the Battletech universe is to just some players playing some first person shooter with who can kill the fastest bit.
i have been playing the TT since it was called Battle droids and would love to see them follow the storyline more closely for the mechs . most of the mechs will be house variants and there would be so few custom mechs . i think this wood bring back the the who playing winch roll for the group more than who can load the most damage in a second and i would say get rid of coolant flush its not in the battletech universe you would not dump you coolant from your radiator if your car was overheating .

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users