The Hunchie Hunch.

50 replies to this topic

#1 gjnii

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

I just finished a match in which after having his lovely hunch detonated, the pilot stopped to remark in shock... "WTF.. how did that side get hit? I was turned away."

The mech lab view doesn't do that bullet magnet justice, and words can barely express what a giant Hit Me sign your hunch is. That Shoulder mounted lunchbox can be hit from almost any angle at ANY time by all but the very smallest mechs.... turning away helps a little, but have a plan for when your hunch gets scattered all over the battlefield, because its going to happen. A lot.

Edited by gjnii, 06 July 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#2 Tor Gungnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

That's why you play the oddball hunchless Hunchback. 4SP? Something SP....

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

For reference, Hunchbacks from different angles.
Spoiler

And the 4G in motion.

Hunchbacks have HUGE hunches that can be shot from either side. Most of the hunch (95% of it) counts as the front RT, so allocate your armor heavily to the front RT to protect it.

#4 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

Sometimes torso twisting doesn't help this mech. The hunch is just big.

#5 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:19 AM

You need both torso twist and elevation to be completely secure. But torso twisting generally does work.

I suspect that hunchie pilot in the OP experienced the effects of HSR. While he was turned away on his screen, he wasn't yet on the other players screen who got a good hit at him.

#6 Watchit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

Also, most of that "hunch" counts as the "front right torso" even if you hit it from the back.

As demonstrated from this pic I swiped from the mech hitbox thread

Posted Image

#7 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

The devs really need to make the hunch smaller, or at least change the hitboxes so that more of it counts as backside. Now it's just ridiculously easy to disarm hunchbacks.

Edited by Snowcrow, 07 July 2013 - 06:48 AM.

#8 Marchant Consadine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostSnowcrow, on 07 July 2013 - 06:47 AM, said:

The devs really need to make the hunch smaller, or at least change the hitboxes so that more of it counts as backside. Now it's just ridiculously easy to disarm hunchbacks.

I disagree. The hunch is what makes huncies huncies. What they should do is balance it some other way. ATM hunchies are just inferior to almost any other medium. My first thought would be to give them more crits in the hunch, but I think the crit slots are pretty much hard coded so that's not gonna happen. Other would be to give more armor there but the same applies here (all mediums have exact same armor so not gonna happen). Perhaps when they give huncies quirks they will be generous...

For now you should hang back and play support role being carefull not to be picked as target.

#9 Tor Gungnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

Just me, or should they sorta get more firepower? Being able to mount an AC20 seems nice and all, until you realize a Centurion apparently can too. Except it is in the more flexible arm and it doesn't come with the drawbacks of a hunch...

#10 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

Don't forget the fact that HSR and hit recognition in this game is apparently beyond repair at this point.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostWatchit, on 07 July 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

Also, most of that "hunch" counts as the "front right torso" even if you hit it from the back.

Posted Image

Looking at this, I think I'll rearrange the 90-10% ratio to 95-5% ratio and it confirms my suspicions. If that works fairly well I'll try 98%-2%. Everyone aims high on the hunch anyway.

View PostTor Gungnir, on 07 July 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

Just me, or should they sorta get more firepower? Being able to mount an AC20 seems nice and all, until you realize a Centurion apparently can too. Except it is in the more flexible arm and it doesn't come with the drawbacks of a hunch...

Arms are easier to destroy in terms of armor, and have no rear/front difference.
Hunch-shoulder's health is 48 + 48 armor with front / rear distinction = 96 total.
Centurion arm health is 32 + 32 armor with no distinction = 64 total.

So even if they brought back the CN9-AH, the Hunchback would still have the greater survival of its AC/20 limb. Plus the Hunchback is 2/3rds the Centurion's size.

An uncommonly known fact: The Hunchback 4H's hunch is smaller than the 4G. Though this is because the 4G can fit 3 ballistics instead of just one. Twin UAC/5s have far better firepower and range than a single AC/20, and only the 4G gets to use it when it comes to Hunchbacks.

Edited by Koniving, 07 July 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostWatchit, on 07 July 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

There's definitely something bronies are useful for. I want the link to that thread, especially if it has the hitboxes of each of the Hunchback variants. Last one I found of theirs didn't have anything but a hunchback 4sp and until now I haven't seen one of the 4G. Hopefully they have the 4G, 4H, 4J, 4P, and 4SP covered.

I'll be adding it to the Mech Lore videos covering the individual variants with the tips to new pilots in how to distribute their armor values on each Hunchback, as I know they are not identical in terms of hitboxes.

Edited by Koniving, 07 July 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#13 Tor Gungnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

My point is that the whole selling point of the Hunchie is "small Mech, bigass gun(s)" but with a great drawback.

#14 saintchuck

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 July 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

[/size]

There's definitely something bronies are useful for. I want the link to that thread, especially if it has the hitboxes of each of the Hunchback variants. Last one I found of theirs didn't have anything but a hunchback 4sp and until now I haven't seen one of the 4G. Hopefully they have the 4G, 4H, 4J, 4P, and 4SP covered.

I'll be adding it to the Mech Lore videos covering the individual variants with the tips to new pilots in how to distribute their armor values on each Hunchback, as I know they are not identical in terms of hitboxes.

MWO: Forums - [Guide] Hit Box Localisation

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostTor Gungnir, on 07 July 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

My point is that the whole selling point of the Hunchie is "small Mech, bigass gun(s) but with a great drawback."

Fixed.

Originally half of the hunch counted as your rear, which meant if you channelled high front armor on the shoulder someone could hit the side of your mech and start on the armored side, then accidentally "graze" your weak side and destroy it. So I don't mind it this way so much. While you can't "spread" the damage by twisting with the Hunchback, you can allocate that armor to be 46 front and 2 rear to make it feel impossible to destroy. So long as you don't run into the AC/40 mechs, but that's okay because eventually the single shot AC/20s will disappear.

Its my hope that when that happens and when recoil does eventually become a factor in cannons, having them torso mounted would greatly reduce the effect of recoil; thusly solidifying the Hunchback 4G and 4H's role as autocannon support

#16 Marchant Consadine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 July 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

Fixed.

Originally half of the hunch counted as your rear, which meant if you channelled high front armor on the shoulder someone could hit the side of your mech and start on the armored side, then accidentally "graze" your weak side and destroy it. So I don't mind it this way so much. While you can't "spread" the damage by twisting with the Hunchback, you can allocate that armor to be 46 front and 2 rear to make it feel impossible to destroy. So long as you don't run into the AC/40 mechs, but that's okay because eventually the single shot AC/20s will disappear.

Its my hope that when that happens and when recoil does eventually become a factor in cannons, having them torso mounted would greatly reduce the effect of recoil; thusly solidifying the Hunchback 4G and 4H's role as autocannon support

I remember I was so pissed for not bying a bigger founders package that one of my first mechs ended up being the YLW (actually seems it's the first after last reset since it's the first in my mechbay). Still love that thing. For some reason an AC20 is so much better on a medium than it (or 2 of them) is on a heavier mech...

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

View PostMarchant Consadine, on 07 July 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

I remember I was so pissed for not bying a bigger founders package that one of my first mechs ended up being the YLW (actually seems it's the first after last reset since it's the first in my mechbay). Still love that thing. For some reason an AC20 is so much better on a medium than it (or 2 of them) is on a heavier mech...

I agree. A single AC/20 is always more accurate too. I love it on the Raven 4X.

For a while I wasn't particularly happy with the 4G once people were like "shoot the big cannon" and I tried other Hunchbacks. Then only recently I picked it up again and it's like "Wow, I didn't lose my hunch." The build happened to have 40 front armor and 8 rear.
Good news is they all wound up being available for cbills. Same thing will be with the Phoenix mechs. Some weeks or months after the fact that they come out for those who bought into the package, "regular" variants of the hero-level bonus versions will appear without the bonuses.

You can still get that 4G if you haven't already. Just remember in the city its king, anywhere else you'd best put on your stealth shoes.

Personally though I'm enjoying the Firebrand at the moment with 6 small lasers and 2 MGs.

#18 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 July 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

You can still get that 4G if you haven't already. Just remember in the city its king, anywhere else you'd best put on your stealth shoes.

Heh, that is funny you say that.. in my 4G, my kill/win ration is almost double what it is on all other maps.. the ice city map, i almost am close to closing on on 2.0, river city is close to 1.5.. all other maps outside of canyon are under 1.0 ;)

Boy i love it when those city maps pop!

#19 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

Well, you could look at on the bright side. With everyone aiming for your hunch, most don't consider aiming for the legs. You can safely shave off a good ton of armor off those legs and use it for something else.

#20 Tor Gungnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

Not to mention your HUGE cockpit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users