Volcano Map (Sneak Peak - Pa Report)

37 replies to this topic

#21 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

I wonder how many people are going to jump in the lava just to see what it's like?

Betty says, "Warning. Heat level. . . holy ****!"

#22 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

I will follow PGI forever if they include a feature like the original skyscraper map in Counterstrike (that HILARIOUS Doppler effect scream whenever ppl fell off the edge).

#23 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

Great. Just what we need. Maps that can kill us faster than our own team.

#24 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

Posted Image

#25 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 22 June 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

Posted Image

good luck,PPC boats :P

#26 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 20 June 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

So ... why is there gantries over the pit of lava and why is one of those mining machines there???

It looks cool and stuff but whats the function?

Mining lava, obviously.

#27 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:30 PM

View PostAntharPrime, on 20 June 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

I would have preferred an outer space themed map, either on an asteroid (small that you could run around from underneath), or a space station assault.

It's coming, should be the next map after Volcano

#28 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

FFS please make it 10x hotter than our hottest map to date so all the high-alpha players can stick their PPCs up their *****

Miminum heat level for a 10DHS mech should be about 40% constantly

Edited by TexAss, 24 June 2013 - 05:50 AM.

#29 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

View PostAlex Warden, on 23 June 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

good luck,PPC boats :P

Haha indeed, although that picture is from MW:LL hehe

#30 BlackWidow

• 1,182 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostImmitem, on 20 June 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

I always found LL's maps so much more vibrant. I really cannot put my finger on it but there seemed to be such a greater variety combined with an intensity that I seldom see anywhere else. Those volcanic explosions always gave me heartattacks!

Want to put your finger on it? Look back at the article and browse down to the part where they have CAUSTIC map color coded into different "types" of terrain. They have a real world photo associated with each section being what I assume is the inspiration for the game created content. The problem is, they took ALL those diverse area (which look great, especially the sulfur pools and the acid lake) and they just painted them with a brown wash. Ugh. Don't get me wrong, I love the map, especially the latest rendering pass....but for the love of modern graphics.....why must EVERY map be devoid of any color saturation?

I'm not asking for World of Warcraft colors but jeez...just look at the reference photos.

What was wrong with making the world look real? PGI...you guys do realize Cryengine was created to make FAR CRY. Have you even *seen* that game?

Gorgeous.

Edited by BlackWidow, 24 June 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#31 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 22 June 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

Posted Image

Hey, how ya doing Inferno? Map lost popularity and got a lot of criticism, but I remember some fun fights on it.

#32 zhajin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostBlackWidow, on 24 June 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

Want to put your finger on it? Look back at the article and browse down to the part where they have CAUSTIC map color coded into different "types" of terrain. They have a real world photo associated with each section being what I assume is the inspiration for the game created content. The problem is, they took ALL those diverse area (which look great, especially the sulfur pools and the acid lake) and they just painted them with a brown wash. Ugh. Don't get me wrong, I love the map, especially the latest rendering pass....but for the love of modern graphics.....why must EVERY map be devoid of any color saturation?

I'm not asking for World of Warcraft colors but jeez...just look at the reference photos.

What was wrong with making the world look real? PGI...you guys do realize Cryengine was created to make FAR CRY. Have you even *seen* that game?

Gorgeous.

was thinking the same thing when they showed river city and forest with standard lighting then post effects (bottom of article). how much more interesting they were before the brown wash.

#33 kesuga7

• The Challenger
  • The Challenger
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Holy shazam!

that map looks boss and it will be lovely to overheat all the many weapon boats on it.. :) (Please be near Caustic center pit temperature level's...)

I do agree that too many games have Fugly Filters ™ (Like Dues ex and battlefield 3 multiplayer ect.) i mean it looked amazing without those fugly filters on in some screenshots i saw.

I mean even Warhammer 40k Space Marine had more color and that's the definition of "dark grim sorta bland color war"

Man the fact that Living Legends is competing on the same level or near is dissapoint (Okay maybe not that near. I do want to try it out though)

Why can't they give us a option to turn the Fugly Filtersoff :lol: (Too much work probably?)

http://www.visualfan...multiplayer.jpg

now this is grim war in the 40th century! :s
http://www.visualfan...spacemarine.jpg

Edited by kesuga7, 24 June 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#34 Troggy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

The maps in this game are quite spectacular. I suspect (hope?), that once they are gone with their "core" map ideas, maps will come faster as texture re-use will become possible.

When you first start this sort of endeavour from the ground up, you end up spending inordinate amounts of time on the ground-work (textures, features, etc.) Once they have a large enough collection of this stuff done, I suspect the rate will improve.

--
Troggy

View PostCoolant, on 20 June 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

Glad they are working on the next map and I'm sure it will look great, but it will be overplayed the first two weeks, players will get sick of it and there won't be another map after it for another 6 weeks at least. PGI needs to not spend so much time on each map and release simpler maps (would be great if they included one every patch) and work on a detailed map in the background releasing it every 6 weeks or so.

#35 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

View Postkesuga7, on 24 June 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Why can't they give us a option to turn the Fugly Filtersoff :) (Too much work probably?)

Because then they will have to deal with performance issues due to draw distance. 2D sprites will look like 2D sprites. I suspect much of this is just their artistic way of catering to lower performance video cards.

#36 kesuga7

• The Challenger
  • The Challenger
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Dam what a difference (big pic sorry)

Posted Image

Spoiler

River City

Spoiler

Edited by kesuga7, 24 June 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#37 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

VOLCANO SEEMS EXCELLENT, NICE MIX between

and

#38 Thumper3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 281 posts
  • LocationTemplar Headquarters

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

View Postkesuga7, on 24 June 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

Dam what a difference (big pic sorry)

Posted Image

Spoiler

River City

Spoiler

Personally, no offense, but the MWO versions look more real to me. The reference shots look like a Sim City render. It is clearly computer generated and looks terrible. Yes, the color wash out on MWO maps is there, but side by side.....they are more "believable" to me.

I ran around in the Lava map a little during the 12 man test sever times. Took several attempts to hit it but looked like a bunch of fun. Looking forward to it going into active rotation.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users