Heavy Vs. The World Leaderboard Challenge!

128 replies to this topic

#101 Minoxen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'm curious about how many hours the top 5 in each category was playing, or the total number of drops that they participated in. I made it to the top 15 in the first heavies tourney, but that took many, many hours hunting for those few perfect drops where there wasn't some thing outside of my control to contribute to my statistics. I'd still like to see a cap on matches played for each mech that they sample from, and to limit the matches to tournament solo droppers only to prevent 4mans and teams affecting the outcome as much as any given match.

I'm very glad they do these, but its just too grindy to hunt for the perfect storm for your score. Congrats to the winners!

#102 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

Prolly 25-30 hours for me, Mino; my first 2 days were garbage.

Edited by Soy, 24 June 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#103 FrDrake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

I played about 110 matches, took 2 jagers from basics to master and the 3rd is halfway done with elites.

#104 Odnir

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostMinoxen, on 24 June 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

I'm curious about how many hours the top 5 in each category was playing, or the total number of drops that they participated in.

According to my stats screen and just knowing roughly where the number of matches played was before the weekend, I've played about 50-60 matches, or about six or seven hours by my typical match length.

damoonrulz - I will post my mechs later when I'm at home. I'm typing this on coffee break.

#105 Columbo

• PipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

I'm curious about how many hours the top 5 in each category was playing, or the total number of drops that they participated in.

Total, about 16 hours I think, 10 hours of serious play. I wasted 4 hours the first day messing around in the Catapult category before I realized anything using SRM/LRMs was a waste of tonnage...and a waste of time for me. I goofed around 2-3 hours the second day in all categories before I settled on Cataphract and got serious for about 2 hours. Spent about 8 hours Sunday plugging away. I used 2 mechs - a 3D with 2 Gauss and 4 Med Lasers and a 4X with 4 AC-5's. There were some self-imposed limitations I set for myself:
- No PPCs/ERPPCs
- No 2x AC-20 builds
- No Ventrilo/Teamspeak/C3voip etc...no com except for in game chat
I played VERY aggressively and payed no attention to captures regardless of the map. I tried to get the first hit in and tried to hit everything at least once. When I determined my target I went in face-first. Most players back down when you charge their face and spend more time trying to get away than firing back. I intended to kill everything and if I got less than 4 kills I was disappointed. I aimed for the head every time I could. PPC Stalker boats were my bane (sweet baby Jesus please fix that PPC boat junk). I wanted very much to compete in the light category, but just couldn't get the stats needed for top-ten. Tip of my hat to those guys driving the lights...IMHO that is THE hardest category and the top-5 players there deserve more attention.

bl dhf

Edited by Columbo, 24 June 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#106 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

I ended up 11th in Lights, and all told I put in about 12-15 hours.

Definitely had some agonizingly bad matches in there, but I had fun for the most part. I'd say the highlight was on Sunday night when BananaNutMuffins, Krivvan, PEEFsmash and I (2nd, 3rd, 8th & 11th on the Light board respectively) all ended up on the same team in our Jenner-Fs. That was a fun stomp to be a part of.

It's always fun to have the occasional duel against some elite Light pilots, too :)

#107 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

I'm curious about how many hours the top 5 in each category was playing

Only played on sunday but it was 13 hours marathon. About 80 games.

#108 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostColumbo, on 24 June 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

Total, about 16 hours I think, 10 hours of serious play. I wasted 4 hours the first day messing around in the Catapult category before I realized anything using SRM/LRMs was a waste of tonnage...and a waste of time for me. I goofed around 2-3 hours the second day in all categories before I settled on Cataphract and got serious for about 2 hours. Spent about 8 hours Sunday plugging away. I used 2 mechs - a 3D with 2 Gauss and 4 Med Lasers and a 4X with 4 AC-5's. There were some self-imposed limitations I set for myself:
- No PPCs/ERPPCs
- No 2x AC-20 builds
- No Ventrilo/Teamspeak/C3voip etc...no com except for in game chat
I played VERY aggressively and payed no attention to captures regardless of the map. I tried to get the first hit in and tried to hit everything at least once. When I determined my target I went in face-first. Most players back down when you charge their face and spend more time trying to get away than firing back. I intended to kill everything and if I got less than 4 kills I was disappointed. I aimed for the head every time I could. PPC Stalker boats were my bane (sweet baby Jesus please fix that PPC boat junk). I wanted very much to compete in the light category, but just couldn't get the stats needed for top-ten. Tip of my hat to those guys driving the lights...IMHO that is THE hardest category and the top-5 players there deserve more attention.

bl dhf

Gz on passing me in last hour by the way for bronze place, mad skill in your push on late Sunday.

I'll also give you heaps of dap for saying no PPCs. Were you serious btw? No PPCs? Man I love 3D and can do just about anything with it [one of most flexible variants in game], but seriously? Wow. I'm impressed. although dual gauss + 4 mls is an absolute monster build, 100% legit mech, on same level as ppc boat 3d.

Stalker PPC boats were the bane of my existence this tourny. *THE* best thing you can do against a ppc stalk? Hit it one time, early on, and promptly **** and find something else to shoot at. Even if you were to COMPLETELY own the Stalk, guess what, you just wasted 30 secs at minimum pooping on a risky target and most likely missed your 8th tagged opponent! I know you know what I mean. And man, with how much of a big fish to fry that Stalker is in a 3D, being outgunned and outarmored, consider the backdrop of meta with that in play and how some rounds were featuring 3-4 of these mechs. Ugh, that is the counter to the 3D... a stalker with more firepower... somtimes a Highlander too but only trip ppc/gauss and large laser lurkers towards end of rounds.

ANYWAYS, I meant what I said last night, if you aren't in a unit stop on Comstar TS and chat up with some of the randoms and talk to some of us in units and try and find yourself a home [even if it's non-competitive] cuz you're a great player. Gz again

Edited by Soy, 24 June 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#109 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 24 June 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

I ended up 11th in Lights, and all told I put in about 12-15 hours.

Definitely had some agonizingly bad matches in there, but I had fun for the most part. I'd say the highlight was on Sunday night when BananaNutMuffins, Krivvan, PEEFsmash and I (2nd, 3rd, 8th & 11th on the Light board respectively) all ended up on the same team in our Jenner-Fs. That was a fun stomp to be a part of.

It's always fun to have the occasional duel against some elite Light pilots, too :)

I dropped with you once in my JR7-D. We won but I didn't have a very productive match because I spent a lot of time defending against a couple of base cappers.

I wish had had been dropped against some of the top lights, I really wanted to test myself against them. I think I finished 115, which I thought was good for my first tourney in lights but I want to see what the skill gap is between me and the top. I had some great matches this weekend and I was disappointed I didn't break into the top 100. But I also did not play for more than maybe 5 hours, so maybe next tourney I can devote more time and have improved my skills some by then.

#110 Columbo

• PipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostSoy, on 24 June 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Gz on passing me in last hour by the way for bronze place, mad skill in your push on late Sunday.

I'll also give you heaps of dap for saying no PPCs. Were you serious btw? No PPCs? Man I love 3D and can do just about anything with it [one of most flexible variants in game], but seriously? Wow.

Thanks for the kudos...I don't deserve it.  I just play the game.  I meant it what I said about PPCs.  Until the PPC boating bullshite is reduced, I refuse to be a part of the problem.  Jenners/Cicadas with 2 PPCs?  Puma wannabes.  Gimme a break...

Go get yerself a 4X and try the 4 AC-5 build.  I outscored the 3D with it consistently.

For now, I'd rather PUG it out, true LoneWolf style.  The newer players need some help.  Thanks for the offers.

Edited by Columbo, 24 June 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#111 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

Sure you do, you did great man!

Puma wannabes, hehe.

I can't be asked to take a Phract as slow as a 4x, Ilya on the other hand... I just can't afford it. Phracts a great ballistic mech, it's a great everything mech, so flexible...

Oh and come come now, don't be a shyguy - Monday nights on Comstar is scramble night where like 40 ppl show up and everyone sync drops solo and whatever team you land on, you hop in a chan with those guys [if any of em made it into ur game]. New day1 players show up on Comstar every single day. There's also always pugmade 4 man groups forming and stuff, it's fun. You should stop by some time, you seem like a classy guy.

See ya!

Edited by Soy, 24 June 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#112 Carrilla

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

I wonder why I even bother to opt in. I have zero chance of getting near the top 10 in any category esp since I work weekends.

#113 FrDrake

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostColumbo, on 24 June 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Thanks for the kudos...I don't deserve it. I just play the game. I meant it what I said about PPCs. Until the PPC boating bullshite is reduced, I refuse to be a part of the problem. Jenners/Cicadas with 2 PPCs? Puma wannabes. Gimme a break...

Go get yerself a 4X and try the 4 AC-5 build. I outscored the 3D with it consistently.

For now, I'd rather PUG it out, true LoneWolf style. The newer players need some help. Thanks for the offers.

It's not quite the same but I have refused to buy any raven on principle since ECM was released.

#114 Columbo

• PipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostFrDrake, on 24 June 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

It's not quite the same but I have refused to buy any raven on principle since ECM was released.

Agreed 100%. ECM screwed the game upon implementation, and although it's less of a problem now, it's only been mitigated though multiple bandaid (A.i.d is censored?) that ignore the core broken, over-powered aspect of this 1.5 ton piece of game-ruining equipment.

Edited by Columbo, 24 June 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#115 Mr Andersson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

I opted in for the fun of it, and to get some clue to how my level of play compares. When I checked after a couple of hours I was 6th in Catapult. That woke up the competetive beast inside me.

I played about 60 to 70 drops, using an A1 (LRMs) and a K2 (dual gauss).

My playstyle was mainly aimed at getting as many assists as possible, thinking that 8 assists is just as good as 6 kills, and a lot easier to get. And to crank out as much damage as I could.

#116 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

Not sure how long I played but probably about 3-4hrs sat evening and similar Sunday until my 'net went off, as I was out all day.

Edited by Rippthrough, 24 June 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#117 Drehl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

I started playing my jenner on saturday morning till I was at 45... but man that was pure pain (of course dropped horribly during the rest of the weekend).
the games were flooded with hexstalkers, ppc/gauss highlanders and ac40 jagers. since I had the top 15 guys in almost every match, they where of course all good enought to hit with at least every other hit. (and had seismic sensor) absolutely frutstrating in very much matches. so I stoped this and switched to the highlander. played a few games with my clanmates and went to bed.

sunday evening I started to do some games with my highlander. 3LL, Gauss, 2 SRM4. That went very well and I had again some realy nice matches with the leaderboard guys (esp. soy.. I think we had 6 or 7 matches in a row.. that was fun). In the assault bracked I reached 23 yesterday night and finally ended at place 28. And it was FAR FAR FAR less frustrating and exhausting than the light bracket.

For the very limited time I invested and since I never realy wanted to win.. that places I got really made me happy.

However.. it was a funny tournament.. congrats to the winners.
And special kodus to the brave and (very likely) insane winners in the light bracket.

Edited by Drehl, 24 June 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#118 Odnir

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

View Postdamoonrulz, on 24 June 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

Working 13+ hr days really impedes one's ability to get momentum in this. Ended up 24th in Dragons in my Fang.

Odnir, and Bata: mind sharing your builds?

As per your request:

I used a few mechs during the weekend. While I do have one particular mech that I have an attachment to, I try to mix it up to keep things from getting dull. All but one configuration have one thing in common - they all fit a 300XL engine. I don't have a lot of c-bills so I share the engine between each dragon. Double heat sinks is just a given on all of these configurations.

My DRG-1C is configured with a 300XL engine, endo and ferro, a gauss rifle with four tons of ammunition, two large lasers, and two additional double heat sinks. If you look up the new(ish) DRG-5N[C] it has the same loadout as mine. But I don't store any ammo in the CT. I keep that last ton in a leg where it is less likely to be critted and go to waste.

My Fang sometimes uses the above loadout. But most of the time it is with the following changes: The original AC/10 from the Fang (with 3 tons of ammo), and two large pulse lasers. Pulse lasers seem to be largely immune to whatever is making hits not register properly at super-close ranges sometimes. It runs a little hot so be precise with your shots.

I also used the Flame quite a bit. It has a pair of large lasers in each arm and 7 additional heat sinks more than the above loadouts (for a total of 19), and has standard armour instead of ferro-fibrous. It also has nearly maxed armour (400 out of 402).

My last one is gonna make you wonder if I'm trolling you because it's typically bad weapons in a typically bad mech, but I win the most games in it (1.78 w/l- and no I don't just stomp other people with a team. 99% of my play is as a lone wolf and the other 1% is with a longtime friend) while still having a respectable k/d of 2.57. It's a DRG-1N with ferro, endo, and 394 points of armour. That's maxed everywhere but the legs. A 350XL engine. An LB 10-X with 2 tons of ammo. An SRM6 with 1 ton of ammo. And a large pulse laser. Feel free to exchange that for an ERPPC if you would like. If you want to hear more about any of this, if I made some typos, etc. feel free to send me a private message because I don't want to fill up this thread with all my chattering.

#119 Jiffy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

I fluctuated anywhere from second place to ninth place in the Quickdraw ladder throughout the duration of the tournament. I, too, opted in just to see how I stacked up against other players, and was pleased to see that I was up into fifth place after only a few games. It was closely contested right up to the deadline, and I got bumped down from fifth into sixth a few hours before the tournament ended.

Still, it was a fun experience, and I bumped into a good deal of the leaders from both the Quickdraw and other ladders pretty frequently. The build I used for this event was a mostly stock QKD-5K: 6 ML, 1 SRM4, STD Engine 300, endo structure, and 6 additional DHS. It was a challenge to wade through LRM / PPC / gauss fire, but ultimately a pretty effective build.

#120 UPnADAM

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 381 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

I played maybe 25-30 games in my dragon 4ml gauss build..didn't have more free time to try more but I'm glad I finished 49th. Def with more time could of given it a real run.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users