I'll Be Back In A Few Months When They Nerf Lrm's.

60 replies to this topic

#21 PEEFsmash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostPater Mors, on 21 June 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

The only way Elo will ever be relevant to true skill in this game is if they introduce 1v1. Otherwise it's pretty meaningless with all the other variables that it doesn't take into consideration.

Elo only cares about wins, and if you win, you are good. The unbiased nature of a system based on winning is its greatest strength. This way, scouts that influence the game positively will have high Elos just like those who sit back and KS. (Assuming scouts were meaningful in this game.)

#22 Odnir

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

I love LRMs right now. They feel good as both a backup and as a primary weapon. And AMS is also a really good way to help protect yourself. I think this is the first time ever they have felt just right. If there's one problem right now I'd say that spiders maybe make too good of a TAG spotter right now, and that's not the fault of the LRMs themselves. Hit detection seems to be a little wacky and they are hard to get rid of, more than any previous patch.

#23 soarra

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,312 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 21 June 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Elo only cares about wins, and if you win, you are good. The unbiased nature of a system based on winning is its greatest strength. This way, scouts that influence the game positively will have high Elos just like those who sit back and KS. (Assuming scouts were meaningful in this game.)

no if you win that means you had a good team.. Does not mean you did anything at all.My lance has carried teams to wins where the other lance did less than 200 damage total, are you saying the other lance is good because they got the win even though they did nothing and died?

Edited by soarra, 21 June 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#24 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

Elo only works as a measure of skill in a 1v1 environment. That is what it was designed for. In a team game, especially one where teams are randomly matched for the most part, all it is good for is getting players who are within a reasonable elo band into a match together. It has no indicator of individual skill here. In a 1v1 game, certainly it is a reasonable measure of the strength of your opponent. Edit: and in MWO, you would need a separate Elo rating for 1v1 to get a reasonable measure of strength.

Even in Chess, Elo is only really a measure of skill at the Master level (2000+). Below that, it is a measure of Chess strength as skill is not as much of a factor in lower Elo Chess games. Above 2000 is where you see the really masterful play. Players like Magnus, Kasperov, Kramnik and Anand demonstrate skill.

Edited by Pater Mors, 21 June 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#25 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostLordBraxton, on 21 June 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

I think LRMs hit Ct way too much

but really?

I would quit because of PPCs before LRMs

qft. splash damage is still broken afaik causing LRMs & SSRMs to do 80%+ damage to CT. i don't really worry about LRMs. I use cover when they are incoming.

#26 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

The Elo rating system is a method for calculating the relative skill levels of players in competitor-versus-competitor games such as chess. It is named after its creator Arpad Elo, a Hungarian-born American physics professor.

Not team-vs-team.

#27 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

imo mm in this game indirectly measures skill. if you win more, you probably have more skill. it's a team game though and the best light pilot can't beat 8 pilots by himself. guess he could cap though. :rolleyes:

#28 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

Elo would matter a bit more if it wasn't predicated just on if your team won, but also on how much you personally helped your team. Of course then we need to define and figure out a way to award points for "helping the team" which is a very qualitative rather than quantitative thing.

#29 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

Whine thread hijacked by Elo people. To K-Town with this one.

#30 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 21 June 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Elo would matter a bit more if it wasn't predicated just on if your team won, but also on how much you personally helped your team. Of course then we need to define and figure out a way to award points for "helping the team" which is a very qualitative rather than quantitative thing.

if pgi did that then we would probably have a better economy. they are hard at work on spider statues though.

#31 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 21 June 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

#MakeEloPublic

#stillnoneed

#32 TheMadPoet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

My Awesome 8R is enjoying being actually somewhat effective again. Dusted it off, swept out the cobwebs, and feel like I'm actually helping my team running it. Well..sometimes.

#33 Fabe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

View Postsoarra, on 21 June 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

no if you win that means you had a good team.. Does not mean you did anything at all.My lance has carried teams to wins where the other lance did less than 200 damage total, are you saying the other lance is good because they got the win even though they did nothing and died?

soarra is right, I've been on plenty of winning teams where I was the first one killed. Does that make me good,maybe to the elo system I'm "good" and places me accordingly in other matches but in reality I suck and end up getting place outside my actual skill level.

Edited by Fabe, 21 June 2013 - 04:19 PM.

#34 soarra

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,312 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

can we get back on topic

#35 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

View Postsoarra, on 21 June 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

can we get back on topic

I dunno, after looking at the OPs post history I'm not sure there's anything we can do to help him.

#36 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

Ain't nothin like poppin brains in a Muromet
With your pet
In the passenger seat
*** at your feet
Askin if you can pass on the weed
Masterpiece

#37 Umbra8

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 21 June 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

OP is OP.

*quits game*

So you're still having trouble with LRM's even with the damage spread, missile warning, travel time, cover, torso twist, AMS, ECM and any kind of lateral movement on your part at all mitigating their efficacy?

I don't know what to say to you, except goodbye.

Seriously, this game isn't for you. If I die to missiles now it's because I did something stupid or I got 2v1'd, which means I did something stupid. Perhaps these would be more your speed: http://petgames.my-p...com/pony-games/

Good luck.

#38 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 21 June 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

I dunno, after looking at the OPs post history I'm not sure there's anything we can do to help him.

Oh god. I just looked also.

Just...

Oh god.

#39 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

View PostWeaselball, on 21 June 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

Oh god. I just looked also.

Just...

Oh god.

I like the Highlander thread he has going in Mechs & Loadout -

"Waaah I sold my Stalker for a Highlander and have no idea how to pilot it (even though I've only played 5 games in it), therefore it's the worst Mech in the game, waaah."

#40 Inkarnus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

-

Edited by Inkarnus, 21 June 2013 - 04:56 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users