What players do you expect to see in Mechwarrior: Online?

119 replies to this topic

#61 yngvef

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationThe planet Bardu

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:07 AM

I hope: tactical teamplayers that cooperate and try to win.

I fear: bunnyjumping 12-year old griefers whose language would make a longshoreman blush, constantly shouting over the voice chat and calling everybody that kills them for cheaters, hackers etc.

The problem with free-to-play is that anyone can play them, at least for a white. Some may even join the game just to troll by teamkilling and being a general pain in the ***. That's why I hope the good players, the ones i hope for, manage to keep theis cool and ignore the trolls until they go away.

I hope the slow and tactical gameplay will discourage the cod-generation.

#62 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:09 AM

View PostFreyar, on 09 June 2012 - 12:15 AM, said:

The forums won't be a great indicator of the community post-release though. The same thing happened with APB where at first the forums were pretty sane, though due to the nature of APB people were a little aggressive. Once it hit open beta, the proverbial **** hit the fan and a whole lot of undesirables came in.

I agree to an extent, but MWO is different in that the majority of players on the forums right now are mature players that come from a long standing MechWarrior tradition. This being said I can tell you that all of us hardcore MechWarrior players will be the core group in this community no matter what other people come here. We are talking about a group of players that has, for the most part, been waiting around for 10 years for another MW title and I don't know of any game out there that can boast this level of support after a 10 years hiatus. The base is already here and the game hasn't even launched...that doesn't happen very often. MWO has a very unique situation and I do not think there is anything out there in the gaming world to compare it with.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 09 June 2012 - 04:41 AM.

#63 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 09 June 2012 - 03:55 AM, said:

MWO is a strategy/tactics/team thing. Those that come here looking for the "I have the biggest weapon" experience will be disappointed. I think MechWarrior has always attracted a more intelligent player base that thinks about the finer points of war and how to win. For me the beauty of MechWarrior is that it is a thinking man's game, not a who has the biggest weapons game. It takes more than just the biggest baddest Assault to come out on top in MechWarrior and that is what I like about it. It's complicated in a good way.

I agree. Overall I think online gamers are of higher quality anyway. Ten year olds today are not like ten year olds, 10 years ago for example. A 10 year old today is far more educated in online behaviour due to mobile devices and any adult who wants to behave like a 10 year old stands out enough to be quickly dealt with.

We're defo at a new stage of gaming communities. I remember the abuse and racism in games 15 years ago. People are far more caution about such behaviour.

Only issue I can see in this game are veteran players who think it means something to be a veteran in this mmo, trying to command other players in a poor way and making all sorts of demands then venting frustration. There will be plenty brand new players, children, who whoop and stomp all over us veterans who are getting older, thinking slower and want to relax often ;)

#64 Aeropunk

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:13 AM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 09 June 2012 - 04:09 AM, said:

I agree to an extent, but MWO is different in that the majority of players on the forums right now are mature players that come from a long standing MechWarrior tradition. This being said I can tell you that all of us hardcore MechWarrior players will be the core group in this community not matter what other people come here. We are talking about a group of players that has, for the most part been waiting around for 10 years for another MW title and I don't know of any game out there that can boast this level of support after a 10 years hiatus. The base is already here and the game hasn't even launched...that doesn't happen very often. MWO has a very unique situation and I do not think there is anything out there in the gaming world to compare it with.

Yea, looking around the forums I'm quite impressed with the level of maturity and thought that goes into all the posts, and the fact that most people are pretty knowledgeable about the game or the BattleTech universe, and if they aren't they usually don't try to sound like they do.

#65 Mr Insane

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

View PostFreyar, on 09 June 2012 - 12:15 AM, said:

The forums won't be a great indicator of the community post-release though. The same thing happened with APB where at first the forums were pretty sane, though due to the nature of APB people were a little aggressive. Once it hit open beta, the proverbial **** hit the fan and a whole lot of undesirables came in.

I hear ya. My character got false reported, banned a day after I get a premium membership. That's more of the work of a crap money-sucking company though. Didn't bother trying to get my ban lifted.

LUCKILY, this game is ran by a good company. This one being Pirahna Games, and not "MoneyFirst" so I see a bright future ahead, young grasshopper.

#66 MenkoSar

Rookie

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3 posts
  • LocationManchester

Well this will be my first post.

I know my group of friends from WoT will be playing this, including me. And most of us our old Mechwarrior players of old.
This game will win on team play, most CoD players have no idear what that is, there just into kills and solo camping. Also I have seen remarks this game should go to Xbox360. This game would not work on console platforms, the control sytem for a start. Mechwarrior was alabout the Joystick with forcefeed back and marco's. I for one am happy its a Pc only game. We pc players need game like this, we are a completly different style of gamers. Why BF3 and the new gen CoDs sucked on Pc. They our just console conversions.

I will play this game like mad.. Back to the days of the MW2,3 and 4 etc. Great team play, burning husks of mech's across the battlefield including mine lol. I just hope we don't get aload of dumb players that thick going of in thier own Atlas will allow them to win... As this will not help your team..

#67 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:19 AM

View PostAegis Kleais, on 09 June 2012 - 04:06 AM, said:

The type of player I'm always keeping tabs on is usually invariably the score leader and MVPs. They are the ones who are familiar with doing what it takes in order to increase their teams score. In a well-coded game this not only means they do damage and get kills, but more threateningly, they actually complete objectives.

Your run of the mill player takes things heads on and believes in getting into close range at all time. These are cannon fodder. Your true hostiles come from those who pick off enemies from range as much as they can and avoiding confrontations if need be. Your tactical brawlers will be sneaky Mechs who utilize their skills to get within range to do massive damage without you being aware.

Fodder might bring over CoD or BF tactics which some of which will not transpose well to MWO, but the tactical player will adapt so that they bring over the successful core strategies, but then alter them to work with MWO's mechanics.

This games Roles and Information Warfare will probably offer opportunities to get XP in very tactical ways. So yes, just running in crazy style probably won't work at first, there will probably some tactics to decide based on the situation, players will need to hang back and be patient while a Scout grabs some details about the mechs in the area.

I'm looking forward to flanking, baiting, creating distractions to reach objectives first before engaging mechs that sort of thing.

#68 Mr Insane

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:21 AM

View PostSgtMac, on 09 June 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

I know myself nad my brother played Battletech,. and owned and played all the mechwarrior titles out there. We still play MW4 Mercs. Everyone we know whos waiting on this is an older school MW player. So they all at least under stand teamwork. As for TK types, its gonna be real hard to miss them if they are doing it, takes a lot of firepower to drop a mech, hopefully the Devs have something in place for that moron that "wants to make sure my weapons will fire" into a team members back armor. I'm allready loosely affiliated with Wolf's Dragoons and team work is something talked about allready. Overall impression, is this will be more for veteran thinking gamers over FPS blitz gamers.

Yes, this is certainly not another one of those spray and pray games where you run out of ammunition in 3 seconds. It requites some thinking, and planning ahead of time in order NOT to be 2 shotted by that assault mech that you run into in the middle of the map. Actually, is it possible to 2 shot things in this game? I kind of hope not, I've had enough of that in WoT. :S

#69 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:28 AM

View PostMenkoSar, on 09 June 2012 - 04:13 AM, said:

I know my group of friends from WoT will be playing this, including me. And most of us our old Mechwarrior players of old.
This game will win on team play, most CoD players have no idear what that is, there just into kills and solo camping. Also I have seen remarks this game should go to Xbox360. This game would not work on console platforms, the control sytem for a start. Mechwarrior was alabout the Joystick with forcefeed back and marco's. I for one am happy its a Pc only game. We pc players need game like this, we are a completly different style of gamers. Why BF3 and the new gen CoDs sucked on Pc. They our just console conversions.

I will play this game like mad.. Back to the days of the MW2,3 and 4 etc. Great team play, burning husks of mech's across the battlefield including mine lol. I just hope we don't get aload of dumb players that thick going of in thier own Atlas will allow them to win... As this will not help your team..

Sorry dude I had to click Report on your post, you should have posted months ago, where the hell have you been? ;)

Welcome to the forum and game hopefully yes.

360 is getting a mech game, the title does not include "MechWarrior" but it is not much different other than simplified controls and much faster gameplay. It looks like mechs will be able to bust each other up quickly on that and there will be a quicker fire rate so that there is ammo being launched in all directions. That will be no tactics required, just get stuck in.

MW:O will be pure tactical and that is the buzz.

Whomp, whomp, whomp...hold position, scouts move forward, rest take up ambush positions and be ready to cover the scouts retreat!

#70 FrostPaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:29 AM

Bad ones, lots and lots of bad ones.

#71 Mr Insane

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

View PostGHQCommander, on 09 June 2012 - 03:12 AM, said:

You do have a great point on the games speed not attracting fast players. Some are already asking for it to play on 360 however there is a title coming for the 360 which is much faster than this. So that defo takes potential speed freaks away from MW:O.

Another area that will push hundreds of players out of this game is using a headset. Every week I expect to come across a small minded gamer who complains because I'm not using chat in this game. I talk to my little girl and my partner, I talk to customers when they call on Skype and I talk to myself when I got a good drink in me ;)

I will have a headset ready and I will talk to my guild. But I'm not going to go all tactical military style every day for every fight. I've been in the army, I'm fed up with the number of players who try to give orders poorly with poor decisions then say something about being my commander :huh:

I just ain't here to fulfil your fantasies :wub:

Haha, I hear you about that commander thing. I wasn't in the army or anything (I'm 15, what do you expect? :)) but I still think a lot of people take it a bit too far. Bolded sentence makes my day, which is good because it started out like crap. Thank you, sir! ^_^

#72 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:38 AM

View PostAeropunk, on 09 June 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

I giggled a bit when the OP mentioned the Battlefield 3 "teamwork guys". I'm playing heaps of BF3 right now and I'm seeing just about zero teamwork, more just 3 or 4 guys per team who actually know what they're doing. Of course when you get a few guys communicating who know what they're doing it's very effective!

With apparently so many people coming from MW4 it seems likely that most people will know the basics of what they're doing.

I also see a lot of people are using a joystick. Does it give better control? Or just a more authentic feel?

As for the joystick, it depends a lot on your style of play and I would say hand/eye coordination. I played MW3 with key and mouse, but switched over to joystick for MW4. In MW3 the free floating reticule (not very realistic I will add) made using key and mouse more beneficial since you could basically target anything you could click on. In MW4 that was changed to be more realistic in that you had to position your Mech using facing of the Mech, torso twist and pitch to lock on to a target. Some believe that MWO is going to function more like MW3 with a free floating reticule and therefore they are choosing to go with key and mouse. Others, like me, expect MWO to be more like MW4 in that a number of variables will need to be controlled to target efficiently. All that said, it still goes back to play style and ability. For me personally the joystick makes things much easier to control since you can control direction, torso twist, torso pitch, and targeting all with the stick if it is set up properly. It can be done with key and mouse, but in my experience in MW4, which I started out playing with key and mouse, it was far easier and more accurate to play with a joystick. My kill ratio went up considerably after getting my joystick for MW4. My recommendation is that you try it with key and mouse and if you find yourself having problems controlling everything, then get a joystick.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 09 June 2012 - 05:03 AM.

#73 Mr Insane

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:38 AM

View PostTyra, on 09 June 2012 - 03:34 AM, said:

The thing that kind of cracks me up, is it doesn't look that slow to me either. It looks just right.

Hah, yea. I agree that it's basically the right pace for a good mech game.

#74 Mr Insane

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:45 AM

View PostAeropunk, on 09 June 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

I giggled a bit when the OP mentioned the Battlefield 3 "teamwork guys". I'm playing heaps of BF3 right now and I'm seeing just about zero teamwork, more just 3 or 4 guys per team who actually know what they're doing. Of course when you get a few guys communicating who know what they're doing it's very effective!

With apparently so many people coming from MW4 it seems likely that most people will know the basics of what they're doing.

I also see a lot of people are using a joystick. Does it give better control? Or just a more authentic feel?

Ehh, yea, that was a bit weak wasn't it? I'll change that to Arma II. ;)

#75 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:45 AM

View PostAeropunk, on 09 June 2012 - 04:13 AM, said:

Yea, looking around the forums I'm quite impressed with the level of maturity and thought that goes into all the posts, and the fact that most people are pretty knowledgeable about the game or the BattleTech universe, and if they aren't they usually don't try to sound like they do.

It will all change on release without a doubt but I don't think there will be bad trolling.

The forums will fill with threads of players complaining that they get beat too easy for a few month. Threads asking what the best build or best weapons are, as players seek the key to winning, not considering that learning the game and their own effort may be a key factor ;)

Thats when the veterans stop using the forum and the forum becomes a place for people to vent frustration because they can't afford to buy things in the games c-store and somehow everyone who whoops them MUST buy a lot of things from the store. Like they can somehow tell who spends on based on how badly they got STOMPED on :)

#76 Fuzzyhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEquestria *Applelieface*

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

mhh intresiting idea,

my experince,

Closed beta, contains teamwork and thinking people with skill

Open Beta contains less thinking people but still Teamwork

Release contains less teamwork and new people mixed with retards

1 year after release teamwork dies in ramdombattles , most of the player are retarded and insulting and teamkilling each other.

#77 Mr Insane

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:55 AM

View PostGHQCommander, on 09 June 2012 - 04:28 AM, said:

Sorry dude I had to click Report on your post, you should have posted months ago, where the hell have you been? ;)

Welcome to the forum and game hopefully yes.

360 is getting a mech game, the title does not include "MechWarrior" but it is not much different other than simplified controls and much faster gameplay. It looks like mechs will be able to bust each other up quickly on that and there will be a quicker fire rate so that there is ammo being launched in all directions. That will be no tactics required, just get stuck in.

MW:O will be pure tactical and that is the buzz.

Whomp, whomp, whomp...hold position, scouts move forward, rest take up ambush positions and be ready to cover the scouts retreat!

I sure wouldn't like to hear the commander yell Retreat that fast after giving an order. ^_^

"Whomp whomp whomp...scouts, continue forward and find some targets. Hunchback, get up there and gaurd the left flank. *scouts and hunchback insta-die* Assau- *everyone else dies*... Ah crap. (See sig for rest of story.) :)

#78 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

View PostMenkoSar, on 09 June 2012 - 04:13 AM, said:

I think the simple solution to the non-team player mentality is the team player mentality. MWO is definitely going to favor organized teams over PUGs and mature PUGs over random players just running willy-nilly into battle like say HALO players for example. The game console FPS mentality will definitely result in a quick death in MWO. Since we are F2P we will see lots of those folks come and go, but the strategy gamers will be intrigued by it and will be motivated to stay and figure out the finer points of the game. The game is designed around team play and for that reason I hope we have a very defined method of setting up teams that are not simply randomized like other games. There will need to be some random elements, but I expect that if a team can field at least a lance of their team members in any match, that will greatly increase their chances of winning and teach the loners a lesson.

#79 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

View PostFuzzyhead, on 09 June 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

mhh intresiting idea,

my experince,

Closed beta, contains teamwork and thinking people with skill

Open Beta contains less thinking people but still Teamwork

Release contains less teamwork and new people mixed with retards

1 year after release teamwork dies in ramdombattles , most of the player are retarded and insulting and teamkilling each other.

It is apparent that you have limited experience with MechWarrior and you underestimate the long established and well versed player base. This game will be dominated by team play as it always has. If you take the time to scan the forums you will find several groups of players that have known each other and played together for many years. These players are not going anywhere and they already are and will continue to be the foundation of MWO. The hardcore team players will destroy lone wolf players that run randomly through maps with no connection to other players. It will be a slaughter fest for the Team guys and will rapidly result in these random noobs either joining a good team or quiting MWO.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 09 June 2012 - 05:20 AM.

#80 IIIuminaughty

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:28 AM

Imma keep it 100. Idk what you guys EXPECT to see, but you WILL See me Talkin a whole lot of Sht, you will see me owning, and you will still see me talkin Sht even when I get my *** whooped... all in the love of the game baby! have fun!
oh but don't get me wrong I know how to work with a team if that's what u guys also looking at...

Edited by StrataDragoon, 09 June 2012 - 05:30 AM.

26 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users